BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Forgotten Players

On 30/08/2022 at 22:55, Aqualung said:

Alex definitely made appearances for Rossendale United. 

I grew up next to Dark Lane and had a purpose built hole in the fence so I could sneak on to watch. 

Remember when Rossendale played Shrewsbury Town at home in the FA Cup.... It was a busy day for the police and my dad forbid me from sneaking on to the ground. 

Beware of Malcolm!

I found this interesting article on Gary Harkins, who was at Rovers in the Mark Hughes era. I've never heard of a player to go from defensive midfielder/CB to skilful maverick well into, apparently, his career.

He says in the article: “When I was younger I was coached to give it to people who can play, to just touch and play. I wasn’t coached to do skills or to do things. I think that happens to quite a lot of guys in Scotland where their talent gets coached out them. I got to a point when I’d left Blackburn and went to Grimsby – I had a year at Grimsby and I hated it – and I thought, ‘I’m not playing football this way. If I’m going to play, then I’m going to play the way I want to and enjoy it’.

Once he went from defensive player to free role playmaker, he had a very decent career in Scotland with Partick Thistle,, Dundee, Kilmarnock and many more and gained a reputation as a maverick.

The article from The Herald: https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/18544195.jester-genius-maverick-maestro-gary-harkins-reflects-career-less-ordinary/

Edited by riverholmes

On 01/09/2022 at 11:09, Threeguy said:

You've mentioned two names there that I know quite well. I've played alongside and against Alex and as a young man, I spent many late nights chatting with Jim when we used quiz together.

I always found him to be a lovely, humble but interesting guy and I miss those days.

Jim was a wonderful man, not to mention a great snooker player. He coached my son for a few years, when he was showing some serious promise of perhaps making a living in the sport. It was sad when he passed away and I know the girls took it very badly.

I used to advise Alex and his wife Jan and saw them on a fairly regular basis and last saw them a few years ago when the attended my wife's birthday bash.

• Like 1