BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Wigan Athletic (a) 11/10/2022

The second Lancashire derby game for us this season, this time away to the pie eaters. I'm confident that we can get the three points from this one.

If I was being optimistic I would go for a 1-4 to Rovers. 

The person who can explain why wigginers are referred to as pie eaters will also win 10 points. 

(Hint, it's not the reason you'd think)

We’ve not won in 12 attempts I think it’s up to now. Probably the favourites in the vast majority of those games as well, they properly have the Indian sign over us. With this squad I can’t see anything other than that trend continuing.

Ps. Re the pie eaters it’s something to do with striking miners in Wigan losing and forced to go back to work therefore, having into to eat humble pie or something like that. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 1

Burnley result aside they're having a good start to the season, coupled with us being poor yesterday and our awful record at Wigan it's hard to see a positive result I'm afraid. Suspect our away following will have taken a hit because of yesterday too....

We've got to draw one at some point so I'll go for a 1-1 in the interest of positivity.

3 hours ago, Upside Down said:

The person who can explain why wigginers are referred to as pie eaters will also win 10 points. 

All dates back to the General Strike back in 1926 when the Wigan miners were amongst the first to throw in the towel and go back to work meaning they had to 'eat humble pie'.

Notwithstanding that there genuinely does seem to be a love of pies in the Wigan area - there are a big number of shops selling pies and pies are also a standard offering in all the local cafes etc.  In the 1990's Wigan also hosted the 'World Pie-Eating Championships' and from memory did so for a number of years.

Had family who lived that way for a number of years and I think it's fair to say those from Wigan are a rare breed!  

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

Here is the current champ. They are held down the road from me at a place called Harry’s bar just down the hill from the moon under water if anyone fancies entering next time there on. Not that there is any point competing against a wiganer 💪😂

I think we’re in for another dull, boring afternoon where it fizzles out in to a draw or they beat us AGAIN..

We really need to put this DW curse to bed next weekend. I can’t cope with anything but three points 

COYB

55027C33-393A-455E-8A24-E5E9BD08BD87.png

With a full week of training and JDT putting more and more of a stamp on this team I think we will pick up a win. 

I haven't considered Gallagher and Brittain cos I have read they are out until after September international break, I think Scott Wharton will be back and don't know if Ayala will be back or not, so I did not include him in my thoughts for selection

my team 

Kaminski

Carter  Hyam  S.Wharton  Pickering

Travis  Morton

Dolan       Szmodics     Brereton-Diaz

Hirst

Subs:- Pears, Mola, Adam Wharton, Buckley, Dack, Hedges, Vale

Think the question may well be if Ayala and Wharton are fit is does JDT go to a back 3 of Ayala, Wharton and Hyam ( who looks a solid 7 or 8 out of 10 every week to me). If so who plays rwb till Brittain is fit ?

Imo there are 3 options, none of which particularly great: JRC , who may prove to be a better wb than rb, Buckley or Carter. Personally I go with Buckley

Edited by Tugayisgod
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

All dates back to the General Strike back in 1926 when the Wigan miners were amongst the first to throw in the towel and go back to work meaning they had to 'eat humble pie'.

Notwithstanding that there genuinely does seem to be a love of pies in the Wigan area - there are a big number of shops selling pies and pies are also a standard offering in all the local cafes etc.  In the 1990's Wigan also hosted the 'World Pie-Eating Championships' and from memory did so for a number of years.

Had family who lived that way for a number of years and I think it's fair to say those from Wigan are a rare breed!  

I'll probably get a Meat & Potato pie when I'm in Wigan. What wine would you recommend as an accompaniment?

5 hours ago, Upside Down said:

The second Lancashire derby game for us this season, this time away to the pie eaters. I'm confident that we can get the three points from this one.

Pies were the staple diet in Wigan during the depression.  Instead of working for money pies were exchanged.  That's where the phrase 'Wigan pier' comes from. It's where the pies were brought in from overseas.  Hence Wigan  pie-r

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

We never win at Wigan and I can’t see that changing. 0-3.

It’ll carry on like that until we get a group of players that want it more than their players. It’s as simple as that. Have they got better players than we have ? I’d say not. So what’s the difference then ? 

Too many “ good son in law “ material and not enough winners.

• J*B pinned this topic
1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I'll probably get a Meat & Potato pie when I'm in Wigan. What wine would you recommend as an accompaniment?

Restapiee Cola - it's a local brand, just ask if you don't see it on display.

23 minutes ago, sabino said:

Is there anywhere to park for an easy getaway after the game? Never been to DW before.

Have my son and 2 grandsons with me and we need to be somewhere.

Thanks.

Your best bet is the first large car park you come to on Stadium Way (off Scot Lane) but leave a few minutes before the end of the game. It’s a ball ache trying to get off any of the car parks there, if you walk back to them with every one else and end up in the ‘free for all.’

• Like 1

I think we’ll win here.

If they play 3-4-3, I’d play: 

Kaminski 

Carter Ayala Hyam 

Dolan Travis Buckley Pickering 

Hedges Hirst BBD 

Subs: Pears, Mola, Phillips, Morton, Wharton, Szmodics, Dack 

If they play any other formation I’d play 4-2-3-1:

Kaminski

Carter Ayala Hyam Pickering 

Travis Buckley 

Dolan Dack BBD

Hirst

Subs: Pears, Mola, Phillips, Morton, Wharton, Szmodics, Hedges

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sabino said:

Is there anywhere to park for an easy getaway after the game? Never been to DW before.

Have my son and 2 grandsons with me and we need to be somewhere.

Thanks.

If you find Wigan college and drive past it and the bus station anywhere round there. It’s a five minute walk and you can cut through a tunnel and over the canal bridge. 

just don’t wear your colours 😅

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Upside Down said:

I don’t understand why you’re confident of 3 points in view of our terrible record against them and our inability to compete with hard battling teams like Wigan. It’s another likely defeat I’m afraid 

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 2

I think we will get bullied here. Bad memories of January.

They've had a decent start to the season - only one defeat - but yet to win at home. 

It matters not what form we are in, who we have available or their form as no matter what we tend to struggle there.