BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Wigan Athletic (a) 11/10/2022

Really key for us is if Scott Wharton is available. Without him we are nowhere near as solid.

Unsurprisingly Id say it's absolutely critical we change to 343/352. RWB without Britain is a worry but as someone else mentioned I'd go for Buckley there. I'd keep A Wharton in there too.

Until there's more team news would think something like this. I'd focus on absolutely murdering them in the midfield. Heavy challenges, close closing. And then trust our midfield to break and support the front two.

Kaminski

Carter.     Hyam.   S Wharton

Buckley.   Morton.    Travis.   A Wharton.  Pickering 

Hirst.          Brereton  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

With a full week of training and JDT putting more and more of a stamp on this team I think we will pick up a win. 

I haven't considered Gallagher and Brittain cos I have read they are out until after September international break, I think Scott Wharton will be back and don't know if Ayala will be back or not, so I did not include him in my thoughts for selection

my team 

Kaminski

Carter  Hyam  S.Wharton  Pickering

Travis  Morton

Dolan       Szmodics     Brereton-Diaz

Hirst

Subs:- Pears, Mola, Adam Wharton, Buckley, Dack, Hedges, Vale

Morton was horrendous yesterday, he needs dropping.

Sadly we look very lightweight and short in midfield after not adequately fixing it in the transfer window.

• Like 1

If bringing back Szmodics is seen as the answer I’m not sure if people understand what the problem is. I’ve never been as underwhelmed by a signing since the last underwhelming signing. And we paid about £2m for him apparently. This is becoming Mowbray-esque. ….. juggling around a set of inadequate players albeit with a different cast

34 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Really key for us is if Scott Wharton is available. Without him we are nowhere near as solid.

Unsurprisingly Id say it's absolutely critical we change to 343/352. RWB without Britain is a worry but as someone else mentioned I'd go for Buckley there. I'd keep A Wharton in there too.

Until there's more team news would think something like this. I'd focus on absolutely murdering them in the midfield. Heavy challenges, close closing. And then trust our midfield to break and support the front two.

Kaminski

Hirst.          Brereton  

This but Mola instead of Pickering. 

37 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Kaminski

Hirst.          Brereton  

Why is everyone obsessed with playing 3 at the back when we only have 1 WB in our squad... and he's currently injured.

Pickering gets murdered at this level being asked to patrol an entire flank on his own - he simply can't get up and down (so he picks staying back).

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Sadly we look very lightweight and short in midfield after not adequately fixing it in the transfer window.

He had a hard time because for as good as Wharton was on Wednesday he was equally as bad on Saturday. Whether he was knackered from his exertions against Blackpool or the situation overawed him (home debut at his boyhood club) I don't know, but he needed taking off at half time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

Think the question may well be if Ayala and Wharton are fit is does JDT go to a back 3 of Ayala, Wharton and Hyam ( who looks a solid 7 or 8 out of 10 every week to me). If so who plays rwb till Brittain is fit ?

Imo there are 3 options, none of which particularly great: JRC , who may prove to be a better wb than rb, Buckley or Carter. Personally I go with Buckley

JRC is as unathletic as Pickering - he can't get up and down the flank too.

Whenever he's looked passable playing FB / WB is against teams that have literally camped just outside their 18 yard box and invited us on them.

I don't think it's fair on Buckley to ask him to play WB either.

Wigan don’t have the best squad but they have players like McLean & Power who will simply eat our young squad alive. As a result I feel JDT will switch around a little, move Trav back in the middle, ideally with Wharton & then Carter to RB.

I really fear for us here, however I said the same before Blackpool. If we want to be treading above water then we need to be beating teams like Wigan.

I’d take anything other than a loss..A scrappy clean sheet 0-0 - However I predict 3-1 Wigan with fans starting to turn at JDT.

Roughly 3k rovers fans.

Edited by BankEnd Rover

2 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Kaminski 

Carter   Hyam  Wharton   Pickering

Travis    Morton

Dolan         Dack        Brereton

Hirst

Subs: Pears, Mola, A Wharton, Buckley, Szmodics,  Hedges, Markanday, 

Agreed but with Wharton or Mola instead of Morton…Also Hedges has to start for me - Dolans record is far better as an impact sub…

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Morton wasn't any worse than anyone else on the pitch. 

We started well but one of your CM gets booked early, it limited their impact and what they can do especially in the first half. Someone else in the Bristol City match thread made a similar point

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

If bringing back Szmodics is seen as the answer I’m not sure if people understand what the problem is. I’ve never been as underwhelmed by a signing since the last underwhelming signing. And we paid about £2m for him apparently. This is becoming Mowbray-esque. ….. juggling around a set of inadequate players albeit with a different cast

Who was the last underwhelming signing? 

Plenty of us fans are understanding what the project is so why aren't you? 

On Szmodics, I think your comments on him are very unfair and yet again no time or patience from yourself. 

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I hope we haven't made a rod for our backs with that one the lad isn't ready for championship football twice a week.  He'll have good games against certain opposition who allow space but mostly he looks destined to struggle.

If we are going to carry passengers it might as well be one of our own learning the ropes.

2 hours ago, riverholmes said:

There seems a difference between how we play depending on whether the opposition line up with two or three in midfield. Faced by three, especially, lately, we get outnumbered and overpowered and that's got to be addressed somehow.

Yeah absolutely, I'm really confused how some folk don't seem to see it that way.

A big part of the reason Wharton and Morton were brilliant against Blackpool but shite against Bristol is simply they had loads of room against one team and none against the other.

Basic tactics imo. We need to make sure we don't get outnumbered in midfield.

Edited by joey_big_nose

4 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Wigan don’t have the best squad but they have players like McLean & Power who will simply eat our young squad alive. As a result I feel JDT will switch around a little, move Trav back in the middle, ideally with Wharton & then Carter to RB.

I really fear for us here, however I said the same before Blackpool. If we want to be treading above water then we need to be beating teams like Wigan.

I’d take anything other than a loss..A scrappy clean sheet 0-0 - However I predict 3-1 Wigan with fans starting to turn at JDT.

Roughly 3k rovers fans.

I can count at least 2 occasions where fans have lost their rags at Wigan away, 3 actually come to think of it because we usually turn in a stinker there for some reason.

God knows why other than the pie eaters always seem more up for it than Rovers and we get out muscled all over the park. It's hardly an intimidating place to go but the pitch is usually crap and doesn't suit us.

Just wait till these wallflowers get to the turd 😒

Could badly do with winning this one,if Boro win tomorrow we'll be 7th,but only 4 points above the relegation zone. A win would keep us bobbing along nicely, Tomasson has enough on his plate without table pressure becoming a factor.

Apparently, Hedges turned his ankle in the warm up yesterday.  Hopefully he's fit,  he sets the tone and I'd fancy us more if he plays.

We're more than capable of winning at Wigan, 0-2 Rovers.

5 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Why is everyone obsessed with playing 3 at the back when we only have 1 WB in our squad... and he's currently injured.

Pickering gets murdered at this level being asked to patrol an entire flank on his own - he simply can't get up and down (so he picks staying back).

Because we have not got any (good) defensive full-backs available, but we do have four central-defenders.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Agree Szmodics is baffling but can see the other additions bring something to the squad.

Wish we'd used the Szmodics money for a good left wing back. Going to be a thorn for us.

Mola is unknown quality to me. I'm hoping he is someone who surprises us and fills that left sided gap.

In line with how inconsistent we've been this season, so far, I'm going for a win against the pie munchers.

Need much better than yesterday's showing and hopefully we have a couple of bodies back from the treatment room - S.Wharton in particular.

Any talk of a relegation fight is guff in my opinion, but if we have any aspirations at all for this season, we need to be beating the Wigans.

• Like 1

How we can play so well in one game, to so awfully poor in the next just doesn't make sense... sure injuries don't help, but even when we manage to whip up a decent enough squad on paper you just don't know what's going to happen. Inconsistency is a huge issue right now.

This is a bogey fixture for us, and there is nothing to suggest that we should win... but for some wild unknown reason i'm convinced that we're gonna give them a tanking.

Gonna go with 3-0 Rovers, I don't really know why.

Edited by TheRevAshton

1 hour ago, RoversTilliDie said:

I can't believe Dolan was left on the bench against Bristol city, he made all the difference when he finally came off the bench and scored Rovers opener. Lets hope he starts against Wigan. My prediction 0-4 to Rovers, there stung into action after another below par home performance.

The thing with Dolan is that he seems to play his best football when coming off the bench. There have always been question marks about his final product but his performance on Saturday was really promising, he probably does deserve to start against Wigan based on that but I wouldn’t be annoyed if he started the game on the bench.

• Like 6

When I think of Wigan away I think of that Steven Reid thunderbolt from 25yrds, brilliant strike.

Wigan beat Luton and Birmingham away last week, after getting hammered by the dingles.

Best we can hope for on recent form is a draw in my opinion.

1-1

• Like 1