BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Wigan Athletic (a) 11/10/2022

32 minutes ago, booth said:

When they signed Hirst I put it down to bringing him in as a cheap squad player who had done a decent job at a lower level. We were light in most areas so it seemed reasonable. To have him as our main striker target is moronic.

I fully expected them to finally bring in a more established CF as well as Hirst, I forgot we have to massively lower our expectations of the club year after year.

I suppose he would say that he was first choice whether he was or wasn't. "George wasn't our first choice but with numerous other targets being unobtainable, we have had to settle for him" perhaps wouldn't have gone down too well!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I suppose he would say that he was first choice whether he was or wasn't. "George wasn't our first choice but with numerous other targets being unobtainable, we have had to settle for him" perhaps wouldn't have gone down too well!

There is another option, just don't say anything at all.

Certainly don't say something as patronisingly stupid as George Hirst was our number 1 target and we've been chasing him all Summer.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Athlete said:

Anyone wonder why JDT was turned down for the vacant managers job at Hibs ?

Hes not good enough

7 wins and 7 defeats with the squad we’ve got isn’t underachieving, albeit some of those defeats we’ve played beyond poorly which is concerning. Come the break for the WC I think the picture will look a bit clearer, too early to say he’s not good enough. 

• Like 5

People forget JDT wasn't even on the radar until we started really scrapping the barrel, the club got desperate and here we are.

I like the guy, I'd love nothing more than for him to turn us into playoff candidates, but without significant investment he's a dead duck, treading water is all we can hope for. 

That last night was another abysmal performance, we've had plenty so far this season, truly awful, the fans deserve better.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Butty said:

7 wins and 7 defeats with the squad we’ve got isn’t underachieving, albeit some of those defeats we’ve played beyond poorly which is concerning. Come the break for the WC I think the picture will look a bit clearer, too early to say he’s not good enough. 

That last night was aguably one of the worst ever Rovers performances ever against  a very very poor Wigan side

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

My thoughts on the situation , now I have calmed down is that I dont think the players are enjoying this way of playing ...

They are just not good enough to play the system and they know it ....

It's clear they are getting frustrated with it and each other as they give the ball away so often when trying to play forwards.

20 minutes ago, yankfan said:

Dack on the score sheet for the 21s already today.  Hirst should be playing there, not Dack.  He must be fuming that he's relegated to the 21s while donkeys play ahead of him on the first team. 

Naturally like anyone would. At least he's giving JDT another reason to consider starting him next game now. 

7 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Naturally like anyone would. At least he's giving JDT another reason to consider starting him next game now. 

But would he consider starting Dack because playing in U21 teams is different from playing in a JDT championship game. Think Dack's just making up the numbers only used , as was last night, as a last resort.

Still hurt about last night yes but I'm glad that most posters are in agreement that it was a shite performance. 

49 minutes ago, Gav said:

People forget JDT wasn't even on the radar until we started really scrapping the barrel, the club got desperate and here we are.

I like the guy, I'd love nothing more than for him to turn us into playoff candidates, but without significant investment he's a dead duck, treading water is all we can hope for. 

That last night was another abysmal performance, we've had plenty so far this season, truly awful, the fans deserve better.

Disappointing that he's not adapting to the squad whilst he builds, and it's indefensible that he's playing Hirst before Dack. Gallagher on the right instead of Hedges. Hedges at fullback when Brittain is on the bench. But it's arguable he wasn't supported, or perhaps we don't have the personnel to do the right deals.

Szmodic and Hirst were not his first choices despite what we're led to believe, and he'll have been disappointed we didn't sign another forward.

I wouldn't be surprised if he resigns before the end of the season. January will be interesting but I'm anticipating more disappointment.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, booth said:

Disappointing that he's not adapting to the squad whilst he builds, and it's indefensible that he's playing Hirst before Dack. Gallagher on the right instead of Hedges. Hedges at fullback when Brittain is on the bench. But it's arguable he wasn't supported, or perhaps we don't have the personnel to do the right deals.

Szmodic and Hirst were not his first choices despite what we're led to believe, and he'll have been disappointed we didn't sign another forward.

I wouldn't be surprised if he resigns before the end of the season. January will be interesting but I'm anticipating more disappointment.

But supposedly with the way things are being run JDT doesn't technically make any decisions on identifying players to sign, he just gets players profiles put in front of him and says yaa or naa.

Shit way of doing things this head coach & director of football set-up is nonsense

Just give the MANAGER a budget and his own scouting team and let him do his job properly with no interference.

Broughton can/should just be in charge of youth player recruitment, etc... Leave senior recruitment etc.

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, booth said:

I fear you could be right booth.

On 11/10/2022 at 23:32, Ghost7 said:

Travis is a big problem, captain so never dropped and a very limited footballer. We're losing games through the middle with this formation again and again, and creating absolutely nothing going forward. I did not expect our creative football to be this bad when JDT came in, I remember him saying in his first presser, "possession is good but the goal is that way". Whatever he's coaching isn't working. I expected our passing to occur further forward and with a goal threat. Wigan kept it direct and simple like Cardiff, and battered us.

He's got to turn to Dack or Adam Wharton because otherwise we don't have the quality through the middle to bring the ball under control well enough and move it. It keeps coming back. Dolan, Szmodics and Hirst aren't your men to be starting centrally, they are subs and the defence is playing its own mini-game. Travis all too often looks for anyone else who can pass it better than him, which is nearly everyone - you can't afford this as a midfielder at the level we're looking to play at.

Centre backs are seeing the weakness and waltzing forward through our team. Kipre looked like an over competitive dad on the park last week pushing his son's friends out the way.

Hirst needs sending back but ultimately until better players are signed we're going to be very inconsistent. Hedges is a good player but he's a forward and is being wasted at RWB, bench him or start him as one of the forward 3. Britton has to play RWB as much as possible. This side of the game isn't hard, picking players in their best position!

We are NOT getting the ball in the box through the middle or down the channels. I'm not sure what JDT's route to goal is? Are we a crossing side, are we route-one team or are we supposed to be working the ball into the box, because we're doing none of these.

The mistakes helped at Millwall, the penalty helped at Rotherham but even in the games we're winning we are creating very few clear cut chances. It's concerning, home and away.

Right now we seem like a team that passes it about at the back and hopes for a gift from the referee or opposition. That isn't football.

We're all prepared to lose games but the games we're losing we are not competing in and are playing embarrassingly ineffective football against the poorer sides. You can't get any more concerning than that! 

Morton is the only loan signing that's helping, the others appear duds for the manager's system as does Szmodic. It's as if he didn't sign them. Which is often the biggest criticism of having a Director of Football is it not. If the vision is clear off the pitch, it definitely isn't clear on it...

This is the kind of analysis that I want to see from the posters on here who feel that criticism of our play, and of JDT is unfair. 

All I hear is how the criticism is unfounded, and how the project needs more time.

Please back up this criticism with some footballing, tactical analysis of what you are seeing in our away performances that makes you so positive that we are on the right track. 

These away performances are worse than under TM, so please share with us what green shoots we are missing. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 11:36, booth said:

There is another option, just don't say anything at all.

Certainly don't say something as patronisingly stupid as George Hirst was our number 1 target and we've been chasing him all Summer.

Hirst, don't think he has it, that's one thing but I think he is a bit lazy and looks scared to get stuck in to me and that is not OK.  I noticed him closing down up front on a couple of occasions, full steam ahead to the opponent yet when he got within a few yards he stopped or slowed down avoiding having to get stuck in.  I would have yanked him unceremoniously after the 2nd one.

• Like 1