BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Luton Town (a) - 17/9/22

3 minutes ago, wanderingrover said:

Same team, although there may be logic in playing Hirst over Dolan to stretch the game a bit

Most likely score is 0-0 but I'm feeling a 1-0 win. Ayala with the winner - how ironic after playing up top last time out at Kenilworth.

As good as Dolan was on Tuesday - I would also consider Hirst instead. 

Possibly consider Wharton in midfield (just for fresh legs).

3 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Luton possibly the worst team for us to play next. The games we've lost are when we've been bullied out of the game. Nathan Jones and his teams are bullies.

Rovers looked more physical on Tuesday so hopefully we dont get bullied here.

They put two of our players out for weeks last time we were down there. Two really bad fouls that they got away with. Let’s hope we get a ref who’s eyes aren’t painted on.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 6

Hard one to call this due to our inconsistency, but Luton are having an iffy season by their recent standards and only drew at home last night to Coventry. We have more than enough to win this comfortably if we approach it with the right mindset, almost regardless of personnel.

Hopefully our recent history there as a club doesn't weigh heavy; there's only a handful of players & staff who were involved in previous grim defeats there (iirc we drew last season?), but enough to help JDT understand & prep for the anti-football "tactics" they will look to mete out.

I don't normally advocate switching style or personnel for the opposition, but might make an exception here.  We have 24 hours on them fitness wise, but it's a long coach trip there & our front 3 put in a big shift on Tuesday so I'd expect some rotation. That said, Dolan & Hedges were superb & we can't drop BBD. Not sure I'd risk Dack against this lot given his injuries, might do more harm than good. Maybe Hirst for Dolan just for the extra height & bulk, then bring Dolan on in a supersub role against tiring legs?

I also wouldn't be averse to switching Morton for A Wharton, who seems like he's a bit more robust, or possibly even Mola (I know little about him but think he has the versatility & stature to compete well there).

No arguments over the same back 5 for me.

Markanday must at least be on the bench imo. I believe he's been a bright light in a poor start for the U21s & hope he doesn't become the next Chapman. 

I'm saying a 2--0 away win.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Luton possibly the worst team for us to play next. The games we've lost are when we've been bullied out of the game. Nathan Jones and his teams are bullies.

Rovers looked more physical on Tuesday so hopefully we dont get bullied here.

If Nathan Jones tries to bully jdt. Jdt gets out his medals and says 'the line is drawn here. No more bullying' (most people won't get that)

After Tuesday I'm not too worried about their physicality which has undone us in the past. I would go with the same team and tactics and frustrate them. One of their main threats is a long throw but as we have some stature in our team it shouldn't be a problem.

I refer to Nathan Jones as a SAM.

Small Angry Man.

Hopefully he gets his comeuppance on Saturday and he is squealing like a stuck pig.

Tough game, exactly the kind of team who we'll struggle to play this year. We want to sit in and hurt on the break, and Luton on their own patch just won't allow us to operate that way. 

Ayala, Wharton & Hyam as a back three with help us stop them, but I'm not too sure how much we'll hurt them on the break.

0-0 for me.

• Backroom

I always like to check the H2H record to get the lay of the land.

If I'm reading right we've NEVER beaten Luton away in the league, dating back to 1937. 

One cup win in 2007.

Let's see if JDT has the magic touch to start breaking some hoodoo's.  

Luton away win, a win over Burnley, and a first win over West Ham in 12 attempts would put a few curses to bed. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Silas said:

I always like to check the H2H record to get the lay of the land.

If I'm reading right we've NEVER beaten Luton away in the league, dating back to 1937. 

One cup win in 2007.

Let's see if JDT has the magic touch to start breaking some hoodoo's.  

Luton away win, a win over Burnley, and a first win over West Ham in 12 attempts would put a few curses to bed. 

And Wigan away!

We'll lose here 2-0, to keep our symmetrical run of won 5 lost 5 going into the international break.

• Like 1

We'll know within the first 15 minutes which team has turned up. If the whole squad works their bollocks off the same as the other night, at Blackpool and at home to west Brom we should smash these lot. If we sit back and it takes us 45 minutes to get going we'll lose. Surely the players must see how their hard work pays off and that we can beat anyone playing like that from the off.

0-3 rovers .

• Like 2

Ref for this one is Josh Smith. Don't know much about him, but in 5 Championship games this season (incl West Brom v Brum yesterday) & 1 game in League 1, he's issued 27 yellows & 2 reds.

Doesn't seem like the type to let things go looking at those numbers so there very well could be a red in this one. Just hope it's not us!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

We are due a huge refereeing decision to go our way and I can see a Luton player getting an early red card here, leaving them chasing shadows for the last half hour as Rovers run them ragged. 1-4.

We got one the other night with the off side decision. I’ve seen plenty of more obvious off sides given as a goal. That famous incident against West Ham being just one !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

8 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

As good as Dolan was on Tuesday - I would also consider Hirst instead. 

Possibly consider Wharton in midfield (just for fresh legs).

Dolans got to play apart against Luton, his pace gave the Watford defence problems. I Would stick with the same 11 to start with, reward for their performance against Watford. Then bring on fresh legs in the 2nd half.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Dolans got to play apart against Luton, his pace gave the Watford defence problems. I Would stick with the same 11 to start with, reward for their performance against Watford. Then bring on fresh legs in the 2nd half.

Who would be a manager - keep as is, and we put another tired performance and JDT will be asked why he didn't bring in fresh legs. Alternatively, he freshens up team, we lose and he gets asked why change a winning team 🙄 

Despite our inconsistencies my glass is half full - irrespective of the team, optimistic we will get a draw or win (that's done it 🤣)

Edited by DavidMailsTightPerm
  • Like 1

Assuming we've no more injury problems, and not seen any reported, I am hugely confident about a Rovers' win.

Yep, Luton will most likely be physical, however, we've got the players available now to more than match them and it would be no surprise to see Hirst start given his big physical presence.  It would also be no surprise to see at least 1 red card.

Rovers at 5/2 is terrific value - fill yer boots.  More than 2.5 goals has also been profitable for me in Rovers' games this season and at 13/11, I'll be having a piece of that as well. 

Good luck to those Rovers' fans going, I don't think there's a stadium I hate more than Kenilworth Road.

• Like 1

Some interesting facts about Luton Town.

1936/37 They were champions of the 3rd division after Joe Payne had scored 55 goals in 39 games. The previous season Payne scored 10 in a 12-0 thrashing of Bristol Rovers. This individual score is still a league record.

1955/56 their manager, Dally Duncan, led them to promotion to Div 1 as runners-up on goal average. Duncan later managed Rovers in the early 60s.

1969/70 Malcolm Macdonald scored many goals helping them to promotion from the 3rd tier.

Next is copied from Wikipedia; David Pleat was manager

On the last day of the 1982–83 season, the club's first back in the top tier, it narrowly escaped relegation: playing Manchester City at Maine Road, Luton needed to win to stay up, while City could escape with a draw.[40] A late winner by Yugoslavian substitute Raddy Antić saved the team and prompted Pleat to dance across the pitch performing a "jig of joy",[40] an image that has become iconic.[

1987/88 Under manager Ray Harford they won the League Cup final beating Arsenal 3-2

1959 Lost to Nottm. Forest in FA Cup final

1989 Lost to Nottm. Forest in League Cup final

2004/05 Manager Mike Newell took them to champions of 3rd tier.

• Like 2