BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

1960s Retro Rovers Shirts - JUST TWO LEFT

1 hour ago, SanDimas1988 said:

Does anyone know where I can find a color photo of a player with a number on the back?  I'm an American and my local team (Rochester Rhinos) previously had Laurie Calloway as a coach.  He played for Blackburn and wore this shirt, and I would love to put his number on my shirt when it arrives.

Players didn’t have their own number back then like they do today, or their name on the shirt either. If you were chosen to play right back you wore No 2, if you were the left back you wore No 3. Laurie played left back at Rovers so you need a red No 3. Only 1 substitute also.

I saw Laurie play lots of times when he was starting out at Rochdale after he left Wolves juniors. We used to chat with him and his wife in the Town Centre when they’d finished training. That was when I was at school. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Players didn’t have their own number back then like they do today, or their name on the shirt either. If you were chosen to play right back you wore No 2, if you were the left back you wore No 3. Laurie played left back at Rovers so you need a red No 3. Only 1 substitute also.

I saw Laurie play lots of times when he was starting out at Rochdale after he left Wolves juniors. We used to chat with him and his wife in the Town Centre when they’d finished training. That was when I was at school. 

Oh interesting. I didn’t know that numbers were actually based on their position. I saw in The Complete Record that he was mostly 3, and and also 10 and then 12, which I assume was the sub. 

I watched the 1968 game that’s on YouTube this weekend, obviously in black and white, I never even knew they didn’t have names on their back until that. 

3 minutes ago, SanDimas1988 said:

Oh interesting. I didn’t know that numbers were actually based on their position. I saw in The Complete Record that he was mostly 3, and and also 10 and then 12, which I assume was the sub. 

I watched the 1968 game that’s on YouTube this weekend, obviously in black and white, I never even knew they didn’t have names on their back until that. 

That was how it was then. If you were kicking in before the game you looked at your opponents  to see what foot they favoured etc. if you were playing left back like Laurie would have been you would be looking for the opposing No 7. He was who you would be marking etc.

I remember seeing him playing for Shrewsbury at Rochdale after he left Rovers. Shrewsbury got a corner and it was cleared out to Laurie who was playing in midfield by then, He was standing about 10 yards outside the penalty area on the left hand side. When the ball came to him he hit it with his trusty left foot on the volley. It went like a rocket into the goal and wedged itself behind the stanchion in the net. The goalie had to punch the ball really hard to get it out.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SanDimas1988 said:

Mine arrived in New York this week. Wearing it today for luck. Much higher quality than I expected. 

Would you mind if we used “much higher quality than I expected (from BRFCS)” as part of our future marketing? 😂

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Gull said:

Top arrived this week in the Netherlands so wearing it for the first time for tonight’s game, hopefully brings some good luck and an upturn in our performances. 

Happy with the fit and quality, love it. 

A56E1B8D-2157-4331-B7D3-6470B3E04F9E.jpeg

Looks great. There won’t be another one of those in the whole of Amsterdam I’m sure.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 18:03, SanDimas1988 said:

Does anyone know where I can find a color photo of a player with a number on the back?  I'm an American and my local team (Rochester Rhinos) previously had Laurie Calloway as a coach.  He played for Blackburn and wore this shirt, and I would love to put his number on my shirt when it arrives.

Here's some examples from Bernie Horne's excellent Flickr archive...

https://live.staticflickr.com/2913/14794294914_bcc4f2374a_b.jpg

Screenshot 2022-12-18 at 13.28.25pm.png

Screenshot 2022-12-18 at 13.28.25pm.png

Screenshot 2022-12-18 at 13.33.36pm.png

Screenshot 2022-12-18 at 13.39.43pm.png

On 12/12/2022 at 18:03, SanDimas1988 said:

Googled this...not many of the backs of shirts !

Screenshot 2022-12-18 at 13.37.50pm.png

1 hour ago, Herbie6590 said:

*doffs cap*

Screenshot 2022-12-18 at 14.35.33pm.png

A process of elimination Herbie. It wasn’t Keith Newton and it wasn’t the blond Billy Wilson. So really it had to be Walter Joyce. Plus the fact the guy is the same build as Walter with the same haircut. If you want to perfect “ Calloway “ shirt that red number 3 is what you want.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

I noticed that several fans who bought them wore them on Saturday. I wore mine for the first time albeit under a jumper so being superstitious it has been washed, will be ironed and ready for Wednesday. If we beat Forest rinse and repeat for Boxing Day. Hopefully it will be worn out by the time the next batch are available 😂😂.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

I noticed that several fans who bought them wore them on Saturday. I wore mine for the first time albeit under a jumper so being superstitious it has been washed, will be ironed and ready for Wednesday. If we beat Forest rinse and repeat for Boxing Day. Hopefully it will be worn out by the time the next batch are available 😂😂.

Interesting. Wash and iron? Nope, we won, so mine has to be worn again without being washed haha  

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Ooh, quite like the idea of putting a number on mine, especially with those being the older flocked style.

Before my time so just want to check, would Dougie have worn No.7?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

92D796A5-4B66-4D98-8B0C-B102C905110E.jpeg

By the time that round neck long sleeve shirt came out Dougie was predominantly playing in central midfield wearing No 10. Mike Ferguson had taken over the right wing No 7 shirt.

Ferguson 7 McEvoy 8 Pickering 9 Douglas 10 Harrison 11.

Ask anyone who saw that forward line in the flesh - the best attack we ever had. A goal scoring machine.

By the way the first game we wore that shirt for was the Everton home game on the 17th of November 1962. I was there, the game ended in a blizzard so the players were probably grateful for the round neck and long sleeves. Dougie was wearing the No 10 in that game.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3