BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Millwall (h) 01/10/2022

43 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

As a relative newcomer to English footie, I’m guessing we don’t have the midfielders to play a 4-4-2? 

43 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

As a relative newcomer to English footie, I’m guessing we don’t have the midfielders to play a 4-4-2? 

It depends if you are playing midfielders or wingers. Or a combination of both.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WacoRover said:

Very few teams play 442 sadly. Gets picked off in different ways by other formations.

Just watching the England Italy game where it's devolved into a three at the back stalemate, and as interesting and sensible as the tactical game is, you do miss the 90s when virtually everybody would play 442 and play relentlessly end to end.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

I miss the cavalier approach of the 90s. Far more entertaining and exciting than "a well organised press"

Remember when players used to take each other on?

I remember the shouts of "skin him" from the Riverside whenever Gillespie was on the ball and facing the full back. More often than not, he would attempt to do exactly that, by trying to beat the defender on the outside and getting a cross in.

We're lucky we saw some of the best wingers. Ripley, Wilcox, Duff, Gillespie, Bentley. The latter didn't need much space to whip a quality ball in. Exciting times and proper football.

Ryan Giles on the right wing cutting in like Mahrez, anybody? Gally on the right wing? Not the fault of either of those two players, but some people in football today have lost the plot.

• Like 7

Going to this with a colleague from Chile - would be a good time for BBD to break his goal drought, perhaps with one of those curling efforts from outside the box nestling sweetly in the top corner, eh?

Like every other game in this division, it is painfully obvious to the outsider how Rovers should set up. As long as we don't do that infuriating tippy-tappy playing out from the back through Ayala, our defence should be reasonably robust, and we know we can nip a goal here or there.

Going for a nervy 2-1 win on this one. If we set up right and get the tactics spot on we may get another footballing masterclass. Trouble is, I don't think we have worked out how to do either of those things reliably at this point, so another afternoon of oohs, ahs and FFS! in store, methinks.

COYB!

1 hour ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

Going to this with a colleague from Chile - would be a good time for BBD to break his goal drought, perhaps with one of those curling efforts from outside the box nestling sweetly in the top corner, eh?

Like every other game in this division, it is painfully obvious to the outsider how Rovers should set up. As long as we don't do that infuriating tippy-tappy playing out from the back through Ayala, our defence should be reasonably robust, and we know we can nip a goal here or there.

Going for a nervy 2-1 win on this one. If we set up right and get the tactics spot on we may get another footballing masterclass. Trouble is, I don't think we have worked out how to do either of those things reliably at this point, so another afternoon of oohs, ahs and FFS! in store, methinks.

COYB!

BB-D needs to start increasing his goal tally, otherwise, we will be wishing we had the £12 mil offered. Sadly, another player we lose, without getting anything in return. 

I will go with SCW’s score; I will say Gally with the winner, 2-1, good guys. 

• Upside Down changed the title to v Millwall (h) 01/10/2022
On 24/09/2022 at 12:38, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

COYB!

Agree with the tippy tappy at the back, Kaminski has a habit of playing around with the ball, then rolling it out to a defender with the opposition steaming down on him, then its a nervous minute or two before its cleared.A big boot up field gives Rovers more advantage.

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

A big boot up field only results in another attack to defend because we don't win headers and can't hold the ball up

Shore up the middle and add a bit of muscle and it would limit them strolling back through us.

We need a Bradley Johnson type again from somewhere who has a bit left in his legs imo

• Like 2