BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Rotherham United (h) 08/10/2022

2 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I’d like to see Markanday even if it’s from the bench. He looked decent and very quick footed when he played pre season. Been really surprised by his omission. Haven’t seen the u23s so no idea if he merits a start based off those appearances but it is a strange one for him to be almost banished. 

Especially when we’ve been void of any creativity in the final 3rd. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Tbh I think if the Rotherham manager looks back over the last few games he will have a tough job guessing how we will setup.

I know Im not a football manager, and there's probably loads more to it than I think, but to sort us out seems pretty simple...

-We should play three at the back so if we are trying to pass it around we have options, and so the wing backs can push right up, and so we are defensively solid.

-We should stop passing the ball around our six yard box. It's incredibly dangerous and creates absolutely nothing for us.

-We should play three in midfield so we don't get outmatched in the middle, can retain the ball, and can pick up positions in the number 10 role to slide it though to the fowrads.

-We should play two up front as we don't get the ball enough into three anyway and need more bodies in midfield and defence. Two feeding off through balls from midfield and crosses from wing backs is enough.

It seems pretty obvious to me and thought that was where we were headed until the team came out last night.

-

This!!

12 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Ayala or Wharton was my only dilemma and I just factored in the amount of game time Ayala has had, the change in weather and he’s made of glass which made me decide Wharton. I think the team picks itself for probably the first time this season

We don't even know what formation we will play, never mind the team picking itself.

Edited by rigger

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

yes maybe so if our first choice penalty taker isn't on the pitch 

Chaddy, think comments by  @RoversTilliDieare tongue in cheek!

However, I think it's quite clear Hirst has a very small fan club and you may well be the founding and only member!

In some 60 years of being a Rovers' fan, Hirst is right up there with the worse centre forwards I've seen in blue and white.  Feckin he'll even Big John O'Mara (similar build and style) got goals for us and I think he was widely regarded as a donkey by Rovers' fans.

Tomassons quote from August 12th.

He wants Rovers performing on the front foot, attacking and pressing. “We need to play a game that people enjoy,” Tomasson says. “We should never play ‘the Dutch disease’, which I call it, where they just play it around, around, around. We want to play a possession game which is speedy towards goal, an intense game with and without the ball.”

Hopefully he remembers this on Saturday and we stop taking the unnecessary risks and play the ball quicker rather than the walking football pace we have seen recently.

• Like 6

Have Rotherham recently appointed a new manager? Would be typical for Rovers to be playing a team with a new manager bounce. Either way, I think this one will end in a draw. Can see us scoring first early on in the 2nd half, don't kill the game off, then Rotherham score from a corner in the final 10 mins. 1-1.

Very disappointing play in Wales, we were never really in that game. I doubt we see the same lack of effort or abysmal performance this time. Hirst will not take any pk’s, either.

Rovers take this one, 2-0. We cannot allow teams below us on the table to win on our home ground. 

25 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

We have to score first to get a result.

18 times we have gone behind in 2022, we only manged to get a result in 2 of them.

What a hopeless bunch.

Shows the mentality of the squad. So eager to down tools and hate it when the going gets tough.

We've seen it this season even before the goals - if a team shows intensity against us we completely fall apart and fail to match them.

On Saturday I just want us to pass with purpose. Tuesday was seriously pathetic; if that's football I'm not sure I enjoy the sport! 

• Moderation Lead
59 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Chaddy, think comments by  @RoversTilliDieare tongue in cheek!

However, I think it's quite clear Hirst has a very small fan club and you may well be the founding and only member!

In some 60 years of being a Rovers' fan, Hirst is right up there with the worse centre forwards I've seen in blue and white.  Feckin he'll even Big John O'Mara (similar build and style) got goals for us and I think he was widely regarded as a donkey by Rovers' fans.

He has looked poor so far, no doubt. But he’s only played a handful of games, just yet.

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

How can you possibly judge that based on a handful of appearances? 

My guess is BBD would have been high on that list after his first few months? Jansen didn't look great at first. Kevin Davies was terrible here, but great elsewhere. 

The list is long. Judging players after a few matches (and even months) is a bit ridiculous. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

I will be very honest but its no surprised to you post this sort of comments. He has had a 5 games and total minutes of 150 and already people like yourself are making these sort of comments. 

I'm sure you were saying the same thing when Brereton, Jansen, Davies, Gestede, Formica or Rochina signed here. That just of top of my head. 

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I will be very honest but its no surprised to you post this sort of comments. He has had a 5 games and total minutes of 150 and already people like yourself are making these sort of comments. 

I'm sure you were saying the same thing when Brereton, Jansen, Davies, Gestede, Formica or Rochina signed here. That just of top of my head. 

Hirst is a loaned player. He has one season to prove his worth. He is not doing a good job of it.

• Like 2

Get Diaz up front and central, get Dack just off him, then fill in after that however you want. But we have to get our 2 biggest goal threats and best players on the field together and in positions they can make the biggest impact

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

How can you possibly judge that based on a handful of appearances? 

My guess is BBD would have been high on that list after his first few months? Jansen didn't look great at first. Kevin Davies was terrible here, but great elsewhere. 

The list is long. Judging players after a few matches (and even months) is a bit ridiculous. 

BBD didn't look great at first but bloody hell, I think it's plain that at 24 Hirst is no great shakes and never, ever will be.  I agree, it can take a few matches for a player to find his feet and blossom but even in their first game there is usually something which suggests there's a bit of talent there whether it be movement, positional sense, vision, passing / shooting / heading / tackling abilities, mobility/speed, aggression etc but feckin hell, IMO, Hirst has shown absolutely zilch so far.  I've seen enough football over 60 years to recognise the good, the bad and the ugly and I think Hirst is as ugly as it gets - I've seen enough of him and I think he's hopeless.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Jansen and Davies had both shown their abilities in the PL before joining Rovers.

Gestede had shown he could do it in the Championship.

Formica / Rochina - IMO, joke and scandalous signings.

Hirst - 40 Championship appearances and no goals.  At 24 years of age, how much confirmation do you need that he will not cut it at Rovers.  I will be delighted if he proves me wrong, sets the Championship alight and fires the goals to take Rovers to the PL.  However, I think there's a better chance of me taking Beyonce to dinner this week (best of luck in your desire to take Liz Truss to dinner by the way!).

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Jansen and Davies had both shown their abilities in the PL before joining Rovers.

on Jansen, he had 3 goals in 8 PL games and then the season he had 7 goals in 18 games at Championship level for Palace. Then Rovers signed him he scored 3 goals in 11 PL games and then 4 goals in 30 games in the Championship before our promotion season where he got 23 goals in 40 games. 

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Gestede had shown he could do it in the Championship.

9 goals in 63 games for Cardiff before he joined us. is that really doing it in the championship or did Rovers spot a player who they thought they could develop and improve. He was 25 years old when he joined us back in November 2013. 

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Hirst - 40 Championship appearances and no goals.  At 24 years of age, how much confirmation do you need that he will not cut it at Rovers.  I will be delighted if he proves me wrong, sets the Championship alight and fires the goals to take Rovers to the PL. 

Not interested in the games at Rotherham as most of the apps was a sub. Last season he did very well at Portsmouth and Rovers recruitment department would have done better and more research, scouting, etc than you. 

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

However, I think there's a better chance of me taking Beyonce to dinner this week (best of luck in your desire to take Liz Truss to dinner by the way!).

still obsessing over Beyonce at your age? blimey? Think it's time you can back down to earth now!

Kaminksi

Hyam     Wharton    Ayala

Brittian                                        Pickering 

Travis 

Morton                       A. Wharton

Dack

BBD

Something wild and different 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, FGS5635 said:

Get Diaz up front and central, get Dack just off him, then fill in after that however you want. But we have to get our 2 biggest goal threats and best players on the field together and in positions they can make the biggest impact

absolutely the best approach,put your best players in where they can create chances,to simple for jdt though,i have absolutely no idea what he`ll come up with on saturday

• Like 1