BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Rotherham United (h) 08/10/2022

You'd think that even taking into account the naivety of youth the goings-on at Ewood over the past 10 years or so would make fans more cautious about statements coming out of the club that are entirely for consumption of gullible people. Tomasson is like all the other manager's we've had - telling fans what they want to hear. FFS take this Twitter rubbish with a pinch of salt because let's call it what most of it really is..... which is PR bullshit 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mercer said:

At the end of the day Chaddy we are all ardent Rovers' fans wanting the best for the club, wanting good performances and results and wanting the club to be plying its trade in the PL.

Some of us are far more cynical and do not swallow all that comes out of the club, a good part of which is, IMO, bullsh1t for fan consumption and pacification.

Head Coach:  To me the jury is well and truly out.  Already, I have serious concerns about JDT's overall game plan, tactics and selections.  Our performances verge from the occasional relative sublime to the more frequient abysmal.  IMO, we have 6 points more than our performances warrant.

DOF:  You say "so far has delivered and done good"!  Brittain and Hyam look decent signings.  Morton looks decent but, IMO, should be behind Adam Wharton in the pecking order (I'd play both and leave the overrated Travis out).  Looks like Posh have pulled our knickers down over Szmodics, Mola has it all to do and Hirst, well, well, well, our first choice striking target who we chased all summer but he can't score in the Championship!  To cap it all, Buckley gets a new 5 year deal which I could understand if he'd been ripping it up but he's been absolute cr@p this season.  To me, Broughton is no more than a 3 out of 10 mark at the moment.

As far Williams and a new Head of European Scouting, let's see what they deliver first.  In previous scouting capacities with clubs, what gems has Williams unearthed?  Invariably, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

Not going to the game tomorrow as I would need 4 tickets and I'm not prepared to shell out £120 to watch some of the cr@p which has been served up this season. 

Gus Williams arrives from 22 years with the Welsh FA, latterly as Talent ID which I think was looking for players who could claim Welsh backgrounds through family. I stand to be corrected but am not aware of any club experience.

So maybe another one learning on the job wages paid by Rovers.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Think there’s a tacit admission there that we’ve lost control of midfield in recent weeks. 18 or not, AW needs another stint.

Also last week for the U21s, Mola looked a better midfielder than a center-half. I don't see him displacing any of the five center-halves ahead of him.

44 minutes ago, Mercer said:

At the end of the day Chaddy we are all ardent Rovers' fans wanting the best for the club, wanting good performances and results and wanting the club to be plying its trade in the PL.

Some of us are far more cynical and do not swallow all that comes out of the club, a good part of which is, IMO, bullsh1t for fan consumption and pacification.

Well get behind the project/plan Rovers have in place and let cheeer Rovers back to PL which will take time. 

Head Coach:  To me the jury is well and truly out.  Already, I have serious concerns about JDT's overall game plan, tactics and selections.  Our performances verge from the occasional relative sublime to the more frequient abysmal.  IMO, we have 6 points more than our performances warrant.

That where I disagree with you. For me, JDT has done good job so far and I'm surprised we are 7th at the minute cos I expect nothing more than mid table as I see this transition season for the club with a new Director of Football, head coach, new coaching and backroom staff leaving and coming in. Plus 10 changes to the playing staff. JDT is learning about coaching at this level and what is need tactical. I would give him 7 out of 10. 

DOF:  You say "so far has delivered and done good"!  Brittain and Hyam look decent signings.  Morton looks decent but, IMO, should be behind Adam Wharton in the pecking order (I'd play both and leave the overrated Travis out).  Looks like Posh have pulled our knickers down over Szmodics, Mola has it all to do and Hirst, well, well, well, our first choice striking target who we chased all summer but he can't score in the Championship!  To cap it all, Buckley gets a new 5 year deal which I could understand if he'd been ripping it up but he's been absolute cr@p this season.  To me, Broughton is no more than a 3 out of 10 mark at the moment.

He played a major part in being JDT to Rovers, bringing in new staff to the recruitment and other departments at Rovers. Did a decent enough job with signings. Got several players new contracts all sorted including Ash Phillips, Adam Wharton and John Buckley. I would say 7.5 out of 10. 

As far Williams and a new Head of European Scouting, let's see what they deliver first.  In previous scouting capacities with clubs, what gems has Williams unearthed?  Invariably, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

Gus Williams hasn't been head of recruitment before he worked for Wales FA for over 20 years. Look at the improved he made within that setup over the years. I don't know who the head of European Scouting or head of data scouting either, but Rovers will announce shortly

Not going to the game tomorrow as I would need 4 tickets and I'm not prepared to shell out £120 to watch some of the cr@p which has been served up this season. 

Well I will be there as always and I couldn't think of anywhere better to be on Saturday afternoon then Ewood Park supporting the Rovers in the blue and white shirts. 

• Like 1

I hope that I am wrong but I can see this being another borefest. One team playing slow, ineffective football across the back line against another who will come and sit in, I will say nil nil.

Also @chaddyrovers you describe the window as only "decent." You were over the moon when Brittain signed, have praised Hyam, have repeatedly put Szmodics and Hirst in your predicted teams and defended them, have echoed the comments from inside the club about the Morton signing, have repeatedly defended the decision to reject bids for Brereton, have applauded the contract renewals. Mola aside who has barely been given a mention, how on earth is the conclusion of all of that praise merely "decent?!"

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well get behind the project/plan Rovers have in place and let cheeer Rovers back to PL which will take time. 

That where I disagree with you. For me, JDT has done good job so far and I'm surprised we are 7th at the minute cos I expect nothing more than mid table as I see this transition season for the club with a new Director of Football, head coach, new coaching and backroom staff leaving and coming in. Plus 10 changes to the playing staff. JDT is learning about coaching at this level and what is need tactical. I would give him 7 out of 10. 

He played a major part in being JDT to Rovers, bringing in new staff to the recruitment and other departments at Rovers. Did a decent enough job with signings. Got several players new contracts all sorted including Ash Phillips, Adam Wharton and John Buckley. I would say 7.5 out of 10. 

Gus Williams hasn't been head of recruitment before he worked for Wales FA for over 20 years. Look at the improved he made within that setup over the years. I don't know who the head of European Scouting or head of data scouting either, but Rovers will announce shortly

Well I will be there as always and I couldn't think of anywhere better to be on Saturday afternoon then Ewood Park supporting the Rovers in the blue and white shirts. 

Most games I have been to at Ewood haven't been crap, unlike the throw in the towel and take it up the backside brigade I will be there as usual tomorrow. We need to give JDT time and space. A certain Alex Ferguson was on the brink of the sack at Old Trafford in his first season, the rest is history. I am not comparing JDT with Alex Ferguson but give him time, Rome wasn't built in a day.

• Like 2

No one has suggested that they expect instant success, its a myth portrayed by some to make anyone displaying any doubts/worries to be irrational.

I think that the main cause of the worries is the clear attempted change to a dull, slow passing style from the back that many would argue doesn't suit the players and hasn't worked in the past.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Top post.

If after all that research, analysis, scouting etc, that Chaddy suggests they have done, the best Broughton can come up with is Szmodics, Hirst, Mola and a kid on loan in midfield, then that isn't a good sign. Start as you mean to go on. I'm not sure why that isn't a concern for some, especially considering the little impact these signings have had so far.

If only 3 out of your 6 signings are of any use (Morton is debatable), can it be said that the DoF has delivered? Broughton's eye for a player is already questionable, but if it is true that JDT was the one pushing for Hirst, then that raises big question marks about him too in that regard.

On tomorrow's game, Adam Wharton and Dack have got to start. We need creativity in the central areas. I think we'll win 2-0, with the tougher test coming on Tuesday at Wigan.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No one has suggested that they expect instant success, its a myth portrayed by some to make anyone displaying any doubts/worries to be irrational.

I think that the main cause of the worries is the clear attempted change to a dull, slow passing style from the back that many would argue doesn't suit the players and hasn't worked in the past.

It's ironic that Rovers' best run under Mowbray (first half of last season) coincided with Mowbray's abandonment of a possession based game last season!

It's all feckin nonsense - which football team WOULD NOT want possession!?!?  It's what you actually do with the feckin ball when you have it that counts.

• Like 2

2000–2003 Burscough    
2003 Rossendale United    
2003–2004 Matlock Town    
2004–2005 Hucknall Town    
2005 Halifax Town 0 (0)
2005–2006 Guiseley    
2006–2007 Team Bath    
2007–2011 Exeter City 160 (17)
2011–2013 Charlton Athletic 53 (0)
2013–2014 Bradford City 2 (0)
2013  Colchester United (loan) 5 (1)
2014–2015 Cheltenham Town 33 (1)
2015–2016 Newport County 4 (0)
2016 Bath City 3 (0)
Total   260 (19)
Teams managed
2018–2022 Exeter City
2022– Rotherham United

Matt Taylor Rotherham Boss

Years Team Apps (Gls)
1992–1994 Køge 48 (28)
1994–1997 Heerenveen 78 (37)
1997–1998 Newcastle United 23 (3)
1998–2002 Feyenoord 122 (55)
2002–2005 Milan 76 (22)
2005–2007 VfB Stuttgart 30 (8)
2007–2008 Villarreal 36 (7)
2008–2011 Feyenoord 37 (20)
Total   450 (180)
National team
1992 Denmark U16 3 (2)
1992 Denmark U17 8 (8)
1993–1995 Denmark U19 16 (12)
1995–1997 Denmark U21 10 (5)
1996 Denmark B 1 (0)
1997–2010 Denmark 112 (52)
Teams managed
2013–2014 Excelsior
2014 Roda JC Kerkrade
2020–2021 Malmö FF
2022– Blackburn Rovers

Jon Dahl Tomasson Rovers Boss

Edit: On 7 March 2016, he was appointed as an assistant coach of the Danish national team until 2020 when he took on Malmö FF.

Quite a bit difference... hopefully it counts tomorrow.

Edited by neophox
  • Like 1

To many managers these days trying to reinvent the wheel and make themselves look clever and some sort of tactical genius like pep. Just keep it simple, get you best players in their best positions and fill the gaps around them with what you have left. Then get the ball to said players as quick and often as you can. We have 20-30m of attacking talent in Dack and Diaz and they are either on the bench or feeding on scraps from the left wing while Dolan runs about like a headless chicken playing this daft false 9 role JDT and others insist on

• Like 2

I'd be giving Travis a 'rest' tomorrow and giving either S Wharton or Ayala the captaincy.

As well as not playing particularly well lately, I've not seen much to suggest he was the right choice as captain either.

We've got just over a month now to improve performances and get a decent run of form going ahead of the most important game of the season.

If the win 1/lose 1 pattern continues we're obviously due a win tomorrow. Not gonna be at all easy though this, I'll go for an optimistic 2-1 win and hope their new manager bounce is a flat one.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Most games I have been to at Ewood haven't been crap, unlike the throw in the towel and take it up the backside brigade I will be there as usual tomorrow. We need to give JDT time and space. A certain Alex Ferguson was on the brink of the sack at Old Trafford in his first season, the rest is history. I am not comparing JDT with Alex Ferguson but give him time, Rome wasn't built in a day.

You just did.

Edited by rigger

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Also @chaddyrovers you describe the window as only "decent." You were over the moon when Brittain signed, have praised Hyam, have repeatedly put Szmodics and Hirst in your predicted teams and defended them, have echoed the comments from inside the club about the Morton signing, have repeatedly defended the decision to reject bids for Brereton, have applauded the contract renewals. Mola aside who has barely been given a mention, how on earth is the conclusion of all of that praise merely "decent?!"

Brittain was very good signing and someone I wanted for the last 12 months at Rovers. Hyam has plenty of experience and can play in 4 or 5 we want to play. I want to more Szmodics and Hirst in the team cos so far, we only seen Szmodics has only played 7 games and 358 mins and Hirst 5 games with 150 mins, so I want to see them playing more and starting game. If they had played more and performed well it would have been good window based on performances. Mola will become more involved an that will start with him in the match day squad hopefully. 

5 hours ago, RoversTilliDie said:

I totally agree with you on this. I haven't been bored or the game has been dull so far. People need to understand that this is work in progress and he seems this passing style as the way forward for our club and to gained Success. 

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Doubts and worries when we are 7th in the league and given the amount of changes to the playing staff and backroom staff plus a new footballing management structure then I think the season is going very well and better than I thought it would start under JDT. Plus its work in progress which takes time and that needs to be given

JDT wants them to play with more tempo and quicker but it's the players on the pitch during games that need to happen. He has said that more than once how he wants to play here. 

The comments from the official site are that the squad is smarting from the defeat at Cardiff. It should read that the squad are smarting from the unacceptably poor performance at Cardiff. And would like to apologize to the fans who paid good money to watch it.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 7

37 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

That does sound like we won't be seeing Dack with the first team tomorrow, which would be disappointing.

I suspect that is what JDT has been doing with Markanday too. Getting him as many minutes as he can with the reserves in preparation for first team football later on.