BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Parkhead area

Uddersfelt Blue

The Parkhead area is certainly better than it used to be - I last visited about 10 years ago and it seemed many old tenements had been pulled down to make way for newer housing. The same goes for the Gorbals. We walked the 2 miles back to the Days Inn through this area and whilst not the best in the world, it is no worse than Manchester or Liverpool.

We had a great time in the city before and after the match. The atmosphere in the Horseshoe Bar was good as it was in one or two other pubs we went in. Enjoyed some good banter with Celtic fans and there was never a hint of trouble anywhere.

Anyone find a good curry house? We were mainly in the area around the Central Station and later on walked for ages trying to find somewhere to eat. At around 1am we finally settled for the Chinese which seemed to be the only place open. It was packed with Rovers fans.

We had a great time despite the result.

RangeRover can’t you read. Uddersfelt Blue actually wrote the word comparable not resembled. These words have different meanings. The suggestion was that Parkhead and the east end was similar or equal to living in Beirut. Does that mean that people are running about with kalashnikov riffles, rocket launchers or using T74 tanks to kill one another, I think not. I agree there is a lot of poverty; deprivation and wasteland in this area but Glasgow City council are trying to resolve this with the new housing initiative.

I've never seen many (if any) violent incidents” are you my shadow; do you follow me about all day, every day? That is not a viewpoint it is a fact.

“The friendliest city in the world”. That is my opinion, it is not rubbish. You may disagree and everybody has the right to do so. But I bet the majority of Glaswegians and tourists would disagree with your viewpoint and probably say, “You are talking rubbish”

:razz:

To even suggest that Parkhead is comparable (ok Mr Wordplay ?) to Beruit - as U/Felt Blue did - indicates that he has no knowledge of living in the real World. His question hardly merited a sensible response so I decided a humorous reply was in order. Obviously you've undergone a humour bypass recently.

I have lived in the Glasgow area for thirty five years and believe I am entitled to my own opinions regarding the City. I would suggest that if you have not seen any or many (which one is it Mr Wordplay ?) then maybe it's time to leave the comfort of your living room for once and try the Real World. The Strathclyde region has the second highest murder rate in Britain so don't avoid the real statistics just because you want to paint a rosier picture for the benefit of outsiders.

How do you define friendly - giving directions to strangers in streets ? When you give up your seat on a train during rush hour and an elderly woman says it's the first time in two years that anyone has been so mannerly - that indicates that Glaswegians are not as friendly as they used to be. Go to any City Centre store, hold the door open and I'll bet one in twenty will thank you. It's a fact of life that manners are in decline. It's also a fact that people go out of their way for tourists but don't have the same time for their fellow citizens. But don't take my word for it - try it yourself. I am not asking you to agree with me - the World is a changing place and people - most of all neighbours - don't have the same time for each other as they used to. New Year proves that point.

I replied to U/ Blue tongue in cheek, Aldo, and it certainly wasn't my intention to start debating the characteristics of Glasgow or it's citizens. If you reply, fine, and then we'll return to the main topic - football.

I would just like to clarify what I originally said at the start of this thread.

The comparison between the Parkhead area of Glasgow and Beirut was made by a Scottish friend who happened to be travelling through the area on his way from Dundee to a match at Partick.

It was not my view.

I personally have never, before last Thursday, been to either Glasgow (or Beirut for that matter).

My intention was to urge caution against Rovers fans encountering any trouble whilst visiting that particular area of Glasgow based on what I had been told. Thankfully, as far as I'm aware no trouble occurred. In fact it seems that most Rovers fans were given a warm welcome.

I'm glad that some of the locals have taken the trouble to defend their city as it shows that they are proud of it and that the image it portrays to others is not quite what it seems.

The Parkhead area is certainly better than it used to be - I last visited about 10 years ago and it seemed many old tenements had been pulled down to make way for newer housing. The same goes for the Gorbals. We walked the 2 miles back to the Days Inn through this area and whilst not the best in the world, it is no worse than Manchester or Liverpool.

We had a great time in the city before and after the match. The atmosphere in the Horseshoe Bar was good as it was in one or two other pubs we went in. Enjoyed some good banter with Celtic fans and there was never a hint of trouble anywhere.

Anyone find a good curry house? We were mainly in the area around the Central Station and later on walked for ages trying to find somewhere to eat. At around 1am we finally settled for the Chinese which seemed to be the only place open. It was packed with Rovers fans.

We had a great time despite the result.

Was that Chinese upstairs?

Myself, debs, May1995 and HOTSPOT were in there until 2.15am. I was the one looking rather hung over with a beige jumper on.

Not bad food if i remember.

Yep, that's the one. Narrow entrance downstairs, up the stairs and in on the right. I spoke briefly to a lad I knew from the gym in the Darwen End and by coincidence he was just to my left at the game, back row. I think he was with a lass, and from memory (too many guinesses) there were 4 on their table. Was that you lot? Me and my mate were in there til around 2am before queuing for a taxi back to our hotel.

Two of our lot incidentally, we had split up from earlier in the night tried the Chinese at around 3am. It was shut but they managed to keep going right up to the very top of the stairs. Knocking on the door they peered through the letter box to find a bloke and a "uniformed lady" enjoying each others company! A Chinese with a brothel above - what more could you want, maybe a curry house with a brothel on top, but bloody hell!

The other lot were in a pub/club called the Victoria just round the corner - we'd been fleeced once going in the Walkabout and were unwiling to pay another £3 to get in - with quite a few lads from Darwen.

Hey Mr RangeRover,

I have a sense of humour, I laugh at Bob Monkhouse jokes (only kidding). I just got a bit cheesed off at people thinking that the city was a dump and that we (Glaswegians) are all nutters, so I went into defensive mode. What I meant about being friendly was that we like to talk to folk, have a laugh and joke and get them to buy all the drinks.  After reading all the comments I think most rovers fans enjoyed our hospitality. Ok, you put me on the spot. I admit I have seen some violent incidents when walking the dog and he only gets taken out after I’ve watched Coronation Street and Eastenders. On being Mr Wordplay I don’t think so, I had to look up the dictionary and see what both words meant.

About the main topic – football. Rovers played some great football and were very unlucky. Celtic were pish and extremely lucky. But as saying goes "c'est la vie" I hope the worst team wins.

:D

Myself and Capt Kayos visited Celtic pubs within spitting distance of Parkhead last night, and whilst not being the most affluent of areas, the reception we got from the Celtic fans couldn't have been friendlier. On the way back from the ground we got lost and ended up walking approximately 6 miles rather than the 2 miles it is from Parkhead to the City centre. This detour took us through some unsavoury parts of Glasgow (including the Gorbals). However not once did we feel threatened or intimidated, and I can't remember having ever shaken so many hands!

In my experience the people of Glasgow showed themselves to be the most friendly and hospitable I have encountered whilst travelling with the Rovers.

Here! Here! TD Inc - and my feet are still bloody killing me.

What cracks me up about ROVERS fans is the panic that seems  to kick in before we go anywhere for any significant game -Cardiff/Sofia/Glasgow etc.

People tend to listen to the scaremongers instead of finding out for themselves.

Yes Glasgow does have its rough parts like any other major City but so does Blackburn and surrounding areas. I must admit that I was quite impressed with old 'Glasgee' and the people we met.

Was not long ago that good old Accy was mentioned in the The Telegraph/Observer (can't just remember which) as being the busiest town in the country on a Sunday - yet to people outside of Accrington(Bollton/Burnley/Blackburn/Burnley/Wigan/Rossendale) the roughest.

Never once did I feel threatened in Glasgow - overpowering and a sight to be seen in the pubs beforehand but something not to be missed - just a shame about the lack of atmosphere from the Celtic fans inside of the ground or maybe that was just because we played that well.

I wan't some potato scones NOW!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.