BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Totally Outclassed

T4E

Must say....I'm really disappointed with some of the attitudes on here. Before the game I exchanged messages with quite a few of you and everyone seemed pretty sensible.

Something has changed since the game though and there seems to be more numpties around writing a lot of dung.

eg Tucker....you can't have it both ways. All I've read on here is how Celtic fans were really quiet, 'what cauldron ha ha' etc etc......then you criticise a Celtic fan for 'biting' and asking you about your home attendances week in, week out. Think you'll find the 'my car is better than your car' stuff was started by all those the slagging off about our players, our performance and the atmosphere last night.

Really looking forward to the 2nd leg now......and hopefully silencing some of the arrogant arseholes on here. (That's not directed at everyone, just the ones with the pathetic comments)

I just got annoyed with what I saw as Celtic fans on this board just winding up to cause a argument, ie. the lego land stand comment, if you have a genuine opinion then fair enough but I just can't tolerate that. Like Bryan said it is just a case of big club looking down on small club.

As for Rovers fans starting the slagging match, I totally disagree with, I thought the atmosphere and the whole Souness thing was a huge anticlimax, especiall y after Celtic fans like yourself had been building it up so much, Rovers fans are just stating fact here.

I have no problem with supporters of other teams on this board, I like to here views from a different perspective, but like I said just not when all people have to say is pathetic snide remarks.

Just got back after a very good night out in Glasgow City Centre and having read the majority of the post's regarding last nights match I have to agree. The atmosphere within the ground was quite disappointing. However, I must counter this by saying that having built something up so much, it was perhaps inevitable that anything other than, '...the Second Coming.....' was going to be a let down. That said, all the Celtic fans I met prior to the match were extremely accommodating and went out of there way to help us. I am forever in the debt of the 3 'Celts' who bundled me into their taxi and took me to the ground. They refused any offer of money for the journey and even took me to their pre-match watering hole, 'Lynn's Bar' - incidently,a busier pub I have nver seen in my life. A great bunch of fans and I look forward to returning their generosity at Ewood in two weeks.

Anyway, I enjoyed my self and so what if 'we was robbed !' Arsenal fans up and down the country are probably saying the same thing after our win at Highbury. The difference being that we have another game to look forward to when we have the chance to redeem the situation.  

:)

Im afraid he is a Rangers Reject as he couldnt get a game for them

Well considering their massive squad and penchant for buying anything with a pulse that's quite a hard job. You can hardly expect to get a game when you are competing with Rangers captain and idol Barry Ferguson for the midfeild role. Tugay is a quality international midfield play-maker pure and simple.

:(

totallt and utterly dejected....my Ar**

we totally outplayed them man for man however they still managed to score a sxlender 1-0 win...shades of boroa away...

roll on 14th we will mash em !!

welcome to hell....more like welcome to foo foo land !!!

blackburnender

Couldn't believe it. Watching it on Sky from France, with my Dad. I thought that Rovers were in a different class last night, infact I have never seen Rovers play so well. Due to the fact that I'm Irish, my Dad brought me up to be a Celtic supporter, but I also chose my own team-Rovers. If I had followed my Dad's lead I would be supporting Sheffield Wednesday. But last night I was 100% behind Rovers and will be in two weeks, when for the first time me, my brother, father and scouse friend are going to Ewood Park for the match. Got tickets in the Walker Stand so I'm well chuffed.

The only downside to last night apart from the loss, was the fact that to all of our wonderful passing, defending, movement and football in general, was the lack of an end product. I thought that Yorke was very good, Ostenstad put the effort in and Cole didn't look fit. Even though I think Cole and Jansen would be our best partnership, I think that in the next game either Ostenstad and Jansen or Yorke and Ostenstad should start because I think that we need a physical presence up front. But we need to find the killer instinct infront of goal. If we play like we did last night at home, we will win.

A bit off the topic, me and my brother are thinking about coming over for games more frequently, by flying to Liverpool from Belfast, then getting the train down to Blackburn. I would like to know how close the station is to Ewood Park?

Can't wait for the 14th!

When Cole came in they made some monkey noises, and I couldn't believe they would sink so low.

just in reply to your observation, as a Celtic fan i am shocked to hear that such behaviour was going on. Our suppoerters are certainly not racists. we have a number of black players in our side and i can't believe ANY Celtic fan would sink this low.

Strange how you lot purport to like coloured chaps so much and to be so against racism but yet you are so openly vehement in your hatred toward you're own neighbours!  

Double standards in the extreme I think!

The atmosphere at Parkhead is,i admit rather flat

Parkhead.........Intimidating?     Huh maybe in the past, but my longest memory will that the loudest and most intimidating noise that I heard all night was the 55000 to a man whistling throughout the last 5 mins to try and influence the ref to bring a premature end to their discomfort.

We lost.

Lots of superb zippy passing.

Crap defending allowing a free header on the 6 yard box.

Crap finishing.

Totally outclassing someone and losing is like David Dunn trying to take the @#/? out of Robbie Savage and coming off second best.

We need to win 2-0 or 3-1. (OK 1--1 and penalities)

The odds are in their favour.

Leicester (as Celtic) were often the inferior side BUT WON.

All you Celtic fans just arent getting it!!!!!! We didn't let you play!!!! Its not that you under performed, its that we didnt let you perform. We were far superior and will be again. Celtic do not have the midfield to compete with us.

We do that to a lot of teams, as you would expect from a Souness team, and we will do it to Celtic again. Games are won and lost in the midfield. Ours is far far better than yours.

As for our forwards - Cole hasnt played for weeks, nor Duff, and Jansen hasnt played for months. They are our best 3 attackers! But dont fret, they will be fully fit in two weeks, and the end product of our wonderful interplay will be there.

Totally outclassed, outplayed and second to every ball. Well seeing it was Halloween. Sutton was a ghost, Larsson the Invisible man and the rest of Celtic team made Nick whathisname from the Berings Bank look positively innocent.

Blackburn's passing was excellent but probably too intricate in the final third - always looking for another pass when they had already opened up the defence. Celtic were made to look ordinary given the way they can play. I realise the object of the game is to put the ball in the net - that's fair enough - but at least let those Celts admit they were lucky. Larsson is quoted in one of today's newspapers as saying he showed Souness. Showed him what, exactly - that he can take the odd half chance ? We knew that before but I'll bet some English viewers now think that's all there is to his game - and judging by last night's performance, who can argue ?

When Rangers were winning title after title, Celtic played some great football under Tommy Burns - creative, flowing football and a joy to watch at times - yet they won nothing. Rangers would soak up the pressure and hit on the break - not pretty to watch but effective. Yet, all we ever heard was the excuse of "You were lucky, Celtic played the better football". That was true but let it be true now. Use your old argument and apply it to last night.

Finally a quote from a St Mirren site today " Anyway, wasn't it fun listening to the supposedly best fans in the World being outsung by 3000 Blackburn fans singing "can you hear the Celtic sing" ? Most clubs would start singing to prove a point, none of that from the Celtic fans. And that was just one of the comments. Celtic supporters are noisy against Rangers, noisy when singing Y.N.W.A and that's it. And that point was proved last night in arguably their second biggest game of the season...

Well if we play like that in the second leg.................

We'll have 70% possession again but lose the tie 2-0.

Some great build up play from Rovers but much too tippy tappy in the final third. Trying to pass the ball into the net as we're prone to do on occasion.

We have to be much more ruthless at Ewood and we could easily find ourselves having to score 3 to win. I was adamant before last night's game we'd at least score a vital away goal.

Having said that, on last night's evidence you would fancy us to go through even though it was a poor result.

I can't pretend I was anything but gutted at the end of last night's match, but worse things have happened to us.  We played well, didn't panic in the "intimidating atmosphere" of Parkhead and we passed the ball very well (on the whole) and there wasn't a bad performance from any of our lads.  

Celtic won the game fair and square and it was nice to see a "foreign" team who weren't writhing in agony every time one of our lads went within three yards of them.  Remember the Bulgarians?  Also it was a clean game and referee did rather well too.  So hats off to the Celts and congratulations on your first leg victory.  Only criticism is for Chris Sutton:  is that the same Chris Sutton who scored hatfulls in our Championship season?  Blimey!

The game at Ewood will, I suspect, be very different for a number of reasons.  First of all, Celtic can't be that mediocre again - surely?  I think they'll give us more of a game and might not be so negative as play with three centre-halves.  Secondly, I fully anticipate their fans will be noisier than the collection of Trappist monks who filled Parkhead last night.

However, the biggest difference will be the scoreline.  I have absolutely no doubt at all that we will be the team going through to the next round.  Celtic fans have told us they were poor by their usual standards last night but they have a rather poor away record in Europe.  Furthermore, our team will, God willing, be at full strength by then.  Imagine how potent we will be at home with the likes of Duff, Cole and Jansen all fully fit.

Celtic have a long, long way to go before they can start booking their next trip in Europe.  I am confident we'll do alright.

For any Celtic fans making the journey, I will wish you all a safe trip and hope you enjoy our hospitality.  My advice is to eat before you get to Ewood as the pies are rubbish and massively overpriced.  If you're staying overnight and don't have accommodation, may I recommend the Devonshire Hotel (near the railway station and on the route to Ewood) as you'll be fine there.  I will also remind you that drinking alcohol in the street within the confines of the town's orbital route is an arrestable offence, so best to drink your Buckfast on the train.

May the best team win.

I will also remind you that drinking alcohol in the street within the confines of the town's orbital route is an arrestable offence, so best to drink your Buckfast on the train.

That should sort out all the security worries.

I hear that Frank Sidebottom has been made Head Steward for the away fans :)

Celtic supporters are noisy against Rangers, noisy when singing Y.N.W.A and that's it.

Oh how I laugh, come on Rangerrover, take off your blue coloured specs!!  Celtic fans only sing once during old firm games?  Youve got to be joking.  If thats the case then Ibrox is like a morgue!!!

NB.  Stop trying to jump on the back of Blackburns success in the UEFA just because Rangers were bombed out by Joiners United!!            :p

Well he actually said they are only noisy once in games that aren't against Rangers. Forgot about the fact that they are quite noisy to when whistleing at the ref to end their fear of the opposition.

Here was me thinking Celtic wanted to play prem teams

Just went back and read Rangerrovers post, thats not what he said so I was right in my post.

We do want to play Premiership sides, but there is no doubt if we were in there the standard of player we could attract would be much higher and therefore we could become a force.  Our fans are too used to seeing us win by 4 or 5 every week and that was half the problem on Thursday, they were stunned that a mid table Premiership side could dictate the play so much. Celtic were awfull and were not used to seeing that.  Scottish Football is turning into a joke, and I for one am becoming thoroughly bored of thumping teams every week, hence why we want in the Premiership, a fresh challenge.

and yep we did whistle loudly at the end.  We wanted that whistle blown to end our worst European performance in years!!

That is what he said, Celtic fans are noisy against Rangers, noisy when singing Y.N.W.A and thats it. The comma between Rangers and noisy is in place of the 'and' due to the other 'and' at the end of the sentence

That is what he said, Celtic fans are noisy against Rangers, noisy when singing Y.N.W.A and thats it. The comma between Rangers and noisy is in place of the 'and' due to the other 'and' at the end of the sentence

You are wrong "Dr" Rich!! I did pass English and that isnt what he meant.  

Who cares anyway, he's wrong in both instances.

I'm sure the pedants will be on tonight to clear it up.

On a side note, I heard Celtic only had 58,000 in against Aberdeen?

Thats a bit pish considering the amount of season ticket holders, and didn't one of the Celtic fans on this board say you would sell 100,000 tickets?

Thats a bit pish considering the amount of season ticket holders, and didn't one of the Celtic fans on this board say you would sell 100,000 tickets?

Celtic always sell out their end for league games, but we have to allow the away fans a certain amount.  Think its 2500 or so and they only ever bring 500 tops.  Hence the shortfall.  Pretty frustrating as thats 2500 hoops fans who are denied seeing their team, but thems the rules as they say!!

Hope that clears it up for you.

Mar 11 2002

SAYS CHRIS WADDLE

Mark Guidi

CHRIS WADDLE has launched a fierce attack on Celtic after watching their 1-0 UEFA Cup victory over Blackburn.

The former England star - who claims the Hoops are his favourite Scottish side and was a target of former bosses Liam Brady and Tommy Burns - believes Martin O'Neill's side are one-dimentional.

Waddle reckons they have no pace in the centre of midfield and their defenders aren't up to the standard needed to play at a higher level.

He also believes Celtic will be under the cosh at Ewood Park in the return leg as Damien Duff, Andy Cole and co. turn the screw.

Waddle didn't hold back in his assessment of the Scottish champions. He said: "I have watched Celtic several times on television and they have always played well. But of course the standard of competition isn't as great in the SPL as they had to face against Blackburn.

"I was looking forward to watching Martin's team in the flesh because you always see more when you can view the whole pitch and how the players pass and move. But I was disappointed.

"Celtic play basic football - always back to front, looking for Chris Sutton. Their back three look to be are uncomfortable on the ball unless they have a lot of time.

"And in the middle of the park, with Neil Lennon and Paul Lambert, they lack legs and just couldn't get close enough to the play.

"However, Stilian Petrov is a young player and definitely showed enough to suggest he will become a top star. Blackburn controlled the game and Graeme Souness will feel that on another night his side would already have the tie done and dusted.

"But they failed to take advantage of their possession.

"They will still feel they have an excellent chance of going through and I expect them to dominate at Ewood Park.

"I'll be looking for much more from Celtic in the next game. They will have to pass the ball better and prove they can cope with the step-up.

"They've found out the standard needed to play in the Premiership and it's not easy. They will have to rely on counter attacking at Ewood because they won't have much choice."

Waddle reckoned Tugay and Gary Flitcroft dominated the middle of the park and orchestrated the one- touch stuff that left Celts chasing shadows for long spells.

The Geordie - a top class winger during his glittering career with Newcastle and Spurs - said: "Celtic play with a 3-5-2 formation and that gave them an extra man in the middle of the park.

"But Blackburn still dominated and it highlights how good they are in that area. They pass the ball well, are always slick and with someone available to receive it.

"Celtic had a 20-minute spell in the second half when they had the chance to have a go.

"But Blackburn weathered that particular storm and came back at them, playing some excellent stuff.

"But they fell asleep at the set-piece and it allowed John Hartson to get the header in that led to Henrik Larsson's goal.

"Naturally, Celtic will be delighted with the result and it gives them a good chance.

"However, Blackburn will have Andy Cole and Damien Duff much fitter for the return and they have the class to cause problems.

"David Thompson was outstanding and Dwight Yorke's running off the ball and the way he came off the defence to link up was the mark of an experienced player."

Regular Blackburn watchers claimed they excelled themselves at Parkhead and won't be able to reach that standard again, just as Celtic are unlikely to allow them as much possession.

O'Neill is angry at the reaction from England towards his side's performance. He accepts they weren't at their best but is delighted to have a lead to take into the second leg.

He said: "If their keeper hadn't pulled off that great save fairly early in the game from Stilian Petrov it might have set a different tone for the game - for the next 15 minutes at least.

"There was a bit of nervousness in our play but we kept a clean sheet and won. We can't ignore that.

"My side have played better and we have passed the ball better but we could still go to Blackburn for the next leg, outplay them and still lose.

"You just don't know what is going to happen in football.

"Every game throws up something different and we and any other team have no right to expect to play well every week and win every time.

"Just look at Arsenal. A couple of weeks ago they were tipped to go through the season unbeaten and now everyone is asking when are they going to win another game.

"But I'm looking forward to the second leg at Blackburn and it's encouraging to know we can play much better.

"I know we have been criticised by people down south for our performance. But I'm too old to worry about what they think about me and what some discerning television viewer in London thinks about my team."

Celtic always sell out their end for league games, but we have to allow the away fans a certain amount.  Think its 2500 or so and they only ever bring 500 tops.  Hence the shortfall.  Pretty frustrating as thats 2500 hoops fans who are denied seeing their team, but thems the rules as they say!!

Hope that clears it up for you.

Well okay then,apologies. Those are some pretty stupid rules, can't the club apply proper segregation for 500? or is it that the teams don't return their unsold tickets?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.