BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers 1 v Liverpool 3

Alan75

A resolute ten man Blackburn battled in vain to hold Liverpool this afternoon, before going down 1-3, after Rover’s full back Lucas Neill was sent off in the 13th minute.

Blackburn had started well at a sunny Ewood Park, where the sky was cloudless and as blue as the famous shirts. With Barry Ferguson making his debut for Rover’s and Markus Babbel making his home debut, Rovers took the lead through the rejuvenated Matt Jansen within 8 minutes of the start. Andy Cole headed on a long ball from Gresko and Jansen brilliantly turned Carragher before firing the ball past Dudek.

However within 3 minutes Gresko brought down Diouf in the area to give Liverpool a penalty and Owen made no mistake with the spot kick, putting the ball in to the left hand corner of Friedel’s goal. Within 2 minutes of the penalty Rover’s were reduced to 10 men when Lucas Neill was sent off for a tackle on Jamie Carragher that forced the Liverpool player to leave the field of play injured.

Half time 1-1

With Rover’s holding Liverpool Rovers nearly regained the lead, when Flitcroft went close with a shot from the edge of the area, however as the shadows from the main stand moved across the pitch Liverpool took the lead in the 68 minute when Owen placed a low shot passed Friedel. Although Friedel dominated his area, making crucial 1 on 1 saves stopping Owen, Rovers tired and with the clock ticking down the inevitable third goal was scored by Kewell.

Final Score 1-3

Post match Reports would suggest that Milan Baros who had to be carried off following a clean and harmlees tackle by Markus Babbel in the 5 minute, has broken his ankle.

Rovers: Friedel, Neill, Amoruso, Babbel, Gresko, Emerton, Flitcroft (Tugay 70), Ferguson, Thompson (Yorke 64), Cole, Jansen (Baggio 64).

Subs Not Used: Johansson, Kelly.

Rovers Matchday Man of the Match: Brad Friedel.

Sent Off: Neill

Booked: Amoruso, Baggio.

Liverpool: Dudek, Finnan, Biscan, Hyypia, Carragher (Riise 18), Diouf, Gerrard (Le Tallec 85), Smicer, Kewell, Owen, Baros (Heskey 5).

Subs Not Used: Traore, Luzi Bernardi.

Booked: Finnan, Smicer.

Attendance: 30,074.

Referee: N Barry

Posted by ihateburnley in Liverpool post-mortem topic.

Friedel, Cole, Amoroso, Thompson and Jansen were all excellent in my opinion. After I slagged off Cole in pre-season, I can gladly put my hands high in the air and admit that he is a totally different player from the lazy arse we saw last season.

Thompson impressed me greatly with his work rate as did Jansen. Amoroso was a bit dodgy at times but he made up for that with a commanding display.

For me, Flitcroft and Emerton were very poor - but I accept that the sending off will surely have taken its toll on our players. Neill, well, from my position in the Riverside it didn't look a red card offence but I will be watching the Premiership tonight in order to get a better idea.

Ferguson obviously needs time to settle, but showed some neat touches and did a few nice little spins to get rid of his marker. Gave it away a bit, but that will have been the lack of knowledge of his teammates runs etc.

Friedel played like Friedel. He simply is a god.

Tugay looked pretty good when he came on, despite claims that he is tired (don't know how you can't expect to be tired on x grand A WEEK, but that's another story).

Basically we didn't play too badly - with Neill on the pitch for 90mins it would have been a completely different game.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.