BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rugby world cup final

Blueboy Downunder

Let's be honest. Can any Australian say hand on heart that they beat England's best team? Saying you can only beat whom you play is a stupid argument as obviously if you play England reserves you still can only beat England reserves.

I don’t think Australian fans are dancing in the streets, organising ticker-tape parades or organising a knighthood for Eddie Jones just yet, but getting a win against England is always that much sweeter. As for the “you can only beat the team play argument”, are you suggesting that Australia take it easy because they were playing an under-strength team?

Nope I'm suggesting that people on this baord shouldn't take it as 'revenge' for the World Cup final. Just trying to get some perspective...

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What have been the results between the two countries when the match has been a major full-strength contest between two sides?

One World Cup final won each (Australia in 1991 and England in 2003) and I know that England defeated Australia in the quarter finals at the ’95 World Cup. Not too sure if they played against each other at the ’99 World Cup.

I'm sorry but a win over a ragtag bunch at the end of a long, long, long, long season proves nothing.

So Australian fans can use the same excuse if Australia loses on the tour of England at the end of our long season? dry.gif

Who cares? We'll still be going on about winning th World Cup for the next few years.

The teams didn't play each other in 99, which is lucky as we already had to put up with losses to South Africa and New Zealand in that tournament and that was enough really for one competition!

For once in a blue moon England come out on top...and no sour grapes from 'Aussies' (speaking in Lanky twang) can take away that just now...

Don't assume that all the Aussie on the MB have Lanky accents, there's some of us here who weren't born in the UK.

Yes I know but I wasn't referring to you native Aussies (well..not native Aussies but you know what I mean)...just a bit of gentle ribbing of Dave Birch who brought the topic back up to the top.

Donb't take it so seriously...it isn't long until you'll be beating us in the cricket so at least let us us have that rugby victory to console us!!! We need that!

FLB, you must ask Lee, Blueboy or SteB what my accent is like laugh.gif

Additionally, SR is not a "native" aussie either tongue.gif

For your next hol FLB, come down under, SR and myself like a good afternoon out with likeminded Rovers supporters, but you have got to like an ale or three rover.gif

For your next hol FLB, come down under, SR and myself like a good afternoon out with likeminded Rovers supporters, but you have got to like an ale or three rover.gif

I had a top afternoon having a drink or 10 with Dave and SR (Vic even managed to show us a decent curry house).

I can confirm that 30 odd years (and god knows how much coopers sparkling) have all but killed Daves Lancy twang.

Bad to lose to Australia, but we're rebuilding the side in time for 2007. Tom Voyce looked particularly sh_t, but you wouldn't know that if you don't try him out. Thompson needs to learn how to do line outs as well.

We should be back up to speed by 2006 or so.

Forgotten in the Rovers fans you've met thread, forgotten in various aussie threads and now forgotten here...

I feel sad sad.gif

So sorry Tom.

Do forgive me, please.

Everyone Tom was down under too, enjoyed the Coopers in the Lord Nelson just as much as all the others tinykit.gif

There was Drunx as well, Frank Robinson, Chris Roe (and his ex Mrs ohmy.gif ), Lee and Nic of course, Jan, and some American chap whose name escapes me, the two brothers from Lithgow, the bouncer that threw Vic out of the Orient.............

So sorry Tom.

Do forgive me, please.

Everyone Tom was down under too, enjoyed the Coopers in the Lord Nelson just as much as all the others tinykit.gif

There was Drunx as well, Frank Robinson, Chris Roe (and his ex Mrs ohmy.gif ), Lee and Nic of course, Jan, and some American chap whose name escapes me, the two brothers from Lithgow, the bouncer that threw Vic out of the Orient.............

Much better biggrin.gif

Go on, admit it...you're all aborigines really.

You'll all be going walkabout in a minute.

Donb't take it so seriously...it isn't long until you'll be beating us in the cricket so at least let us us have that rugby victory to console us!!! We need that!

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

McGrath hasn't played a test in ages.

Brett Lee is a shadow of his former self.

Jason Gillespie is a fantastic bowler, but is extremely injury-prone.

Your quicks look like a fantastic combination.

While we still have some fantastic batsman, our bowling may let us down.

I think you can beat us this series.

Perhaps it will all be up to Warney to save Australia's bacon?!?

... assuming he doesn't eat it first laugh.gif

Edited by pg

Judging by Cheshire's response I see he isn't much of a cricket fan if he is unaware that it is our turn to play the English away ....

Edited by pg

So sorry Tom.

Do forgive me, please.

Waheey, I get a mention!

The Lord Nelson was superb, although next time I'm down under I think I'll not get in a round with DB or Vic as I was that drunk I got lost in the Rocks and then was found aimlessly wandering around Kings Cross and the "delights" to be found there at night.

And yes, Dave's accent is a bit of a mess, 90% Oz with the odd Lancastrian twang thrown in for good measure.

Fair dinkum!

I'm afraid that the Australian cricket team lost all credibility when they chose to re-select a convicted drugs cheat. From that point on, I pay no regard to anything that they do.

I thought the days of you needing a conviction to represent Australia had passed. wink.gif

It's just simply not cricket.

I'm afraid that the Australian cricket team lost all credibility when they chose to re-select a convicted drugs cheat. From that point on, I pay no regard to anything that they do.

I thought the days of you needing a conviction to represent Australia had passed. wink.gif

Do you pay any attention to where and whom the English team are playing? wink.gif

So that means when Rio comes back you won't be supporting the English football team?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.