BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rugby world cup final

Blueboy Downunder

I'll be watching on Sat afternoon.( Don't think I'd bother getting up early on a Sunday morning for it though.) I've watched a few matches and tried to get into it, especially as there are plenty of Aussies, French and quite a few Kiwis round here. I still can't understand why most people like it. However, to the Aussies its a means to show off their bravado and manliness. Its almost as if it were invented so they could compare it to football and call all Brits poofs.

By far the main and almost the only reason I will be in the pub on Sat and be vastly out numbered by the convicts is that I could never miss a realistic opportunity of being there when they are beaten.  Seeing them beaten by anyone is great, being beaten by England is something I couldn't miss. Australians, almost to a man, are the most obnoxious unsporting pig ignorant boring @#/?s ever when it comes to either winning or losing. I realise not all are like this but it is true of a frightningly large proportion of the ones I've met. They still brag about beating England in the football friendly and having the highest score in any international.

They are pathetic and I can't wait to see their faces if we win. However, I still expect them to win.

You have a go at Australians, yet you guys seem to be the ones that can't quite let go.   ???

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason I can't let go is because I'm constantly reminded of how fantastic Australia and Australians are at almost everything. Sport especially. Don't get me wrong, its not even that I disagree, they are bloody good at most sports. But when they win they just never shut up about it and when they lose - heaven help you if you try to take the @#/? a bit.

And I find it hard to take seriously a big group of big blokes (the same ones who will be watching the rugby on Saturday) cheering and shouting at a game of tennis.

The only reason I can't let go is because I'm constantly reminded of how fantastic Australia and Australians are at almost everything. Sport especially. Don't get me wrong, its not even that I disagree, they are bloody good at most sports. But when they win they just never shut up about it and when they lose - heaven help you if you try to take the @#/? a bit.

And I find it hard to take seriously a big group of big blokes (the same ones who will be watching the rugby on Saturday) cheering and shouting at a game of tennis.

Fair enough...but I think you may be mixing with the wrong type of Australian. Probably the backpacker crowd over there!! Their a seperate breed, even Australians hate them!

Very fair comment but actually not the case at all. On the contrary these are expats I'm talking about. Again, don't get me wrong they're good blokes and quite a few are mates but this sport thing gets on my tits.

And another thing about them. To be fair this is very very few but the few are always Australian. Sitting there during the World Cup (football) and continually going on about them all being tarts for falling over etc etc. If you don't enjoy the game don't watch or at least just shut the f**k up.

To the tune of "Wonderwall"

Today is gonna be the day that we're gonna sing a song for you.

By now you should've somehow realized that's what we're here to do.

And I don't believe that anybody sings as bad as you.

AUSSIE CONVICTS

Backbeat, the word is on the street that you can't even write a song

I'm sure, you've heard it all before, but c'mon Aussies prove us wrong

'Cos I don't believe that anybody's quite as thick as you

AUSSIE CONVICTS

The "oh aah" song you sing for Glenn is so sad

And "Warney Warney Warney" is just as bad

There are many songs that I would like to hear from you

But you don't know how, (don't know how)

'Cos maybe, (maybe) you'll never find a song to play me, (play me)

'Cos after all, YOU CAN SING SOD ALL!

But Tris, the Wallabies actually crossed the try line, something the guys in white couldn't do and in fact didn't look like doing. They'd rather let little Johnny get some kicking practise instead.

What's the problem? We didn't score a try, you can't kick it. Am I missing something. You wanna rewrite the rules?

To the tune of "Wonderwall"

Today is gonna be the day that we're gonna sing a song for you.

By now you should've somehow realized that's what we're here to do.

And I don't believe that anybody sings as bad as you.

AUSSIE CONVICTS

Backbeat, the word is on the street that you can't even write a song

I'm sure, you've heard it all before, but c'mon Aussies prove us wrong

'Cos I don't believe that anybody's quite as thick as you

AUSSIE CONVICTS

The "oh aah" song you sing for Glenn is so sad

And "Warney Warney Warney" is just as bad

There are many songs that I would like to hear from you

But you don't know how, (don't know how)

'Cos maybe, (maybe) you'll never find a song to play me, (play me)

'Cos after all, YOU CAN SING SOD ALL!

Are you making these up yourself ? If you are your in the wrong job (unless you're a lyricist that is) Bloody brilliant!!

but Tris, the Wallabies actually crossed the try line, something the guys in white couldn't do and in fact didn't look like doing. They'd rather let little Johnny get some kicking practise instead.

The aussies scored 1 try in near perfect conditions and that was due to a NZ mistake, otherwise your try count would have been nil.

England granted failed to score a try but played in pouring rain and still won.

I would love England to score more try's but as long as they win, who cares???

A question: Rovers win 1-0 with a penalty, does that not count becasue its not from open play.

No the only thing that matters is getting more points that the other team. As England will do on Saturday.

RR, your point about a Penalty in football does not equate fully with a penalty in Rugby, in that it has to be an infringement in a restricted area to get a "one on one".

In rugby the shot ffor goal can be from anywhere that a team feels they can score, be it 5 yards or 55 yards. Furthermore, the infringement in rugby rest more on the refs opinion (in that it is not as clear cut as in football)

Having said that, if you read my post elsewhere, you'll find that, at one stage in the evolution of Rugby, the kick for goal was far more important than the try.

Got this by email from an Oz mate. I'm English but saw the funny side..........

"It’s Saturday and a guy walks into a bar with a dachshund under his arm.

The dog is wearing an England rugby jersey and is festooned with England pom-poms.

The bartender says, "Hey! No pets are allowed! You'll have to leave."

The guy begs him, "Look, I'm desperate! We're both big fans, the TV's broken at home, and this is the only place around where we can see the game."

After securing a promise that the dog will behave, and warning him that he and the dog will be thrown out if there's any trouble, the bartender relents and allows them to stay in the bar and watch the game.

The big game begins with the Poms receiving the kickoff.

England march down field, get stopped at the 22, and kick a penalty goal.

Suddenly, the dog jumps up on the bar and begins walking up and down the bar giving high-fives to everyone.

The bartender says, "Wow, that is the most amazing thing I've seen! What does the dog do if they score a try?"

The owner replies, "I don't know, I've only had him for three years."

Got this by email from an Oz mate. I'm English but saw the funny side..........

"It’s Saturday and a guy walks into a bar with a dachshund under his arm.

The dog is wearing an England rugby jersey and is festooned with England pom-poms.

The bartender says, "Hey! No pets are allowed! You'll have to leave."

The guy begs him, "Look, I'm desperate! We're both big fans, the TV's broken at home, and this is the only place around where we can see the game."

After securing a promise that the dog will behave, and warning him that he and the dog will be thrown out if there's any trouble, the bartender relents and allows them to stay in the bar and watch the game.

The big game begins with the Poms receiving the kickoff.

England march down field, get stopped at the 22, and kick a penalty goal.

Suddenly, the dog jumps up on the bar and begins walking up and down the bar giving high-fives to everyone.

The bartender says, "Wow, that is the most amazing thing I've seen! What does the dog do if they score a try?"

The owner replies, "I don't know, I've only had him for three years."

Not quite as good as Dave Birch's joke on page 8 I'm afraid.  :)

Following complaints made to the IRB about the All Blacks being allowed to motivate themselves by performing the 'Haka' before their games, other nations were asked to suggest pre-match rituals of their own. The IRB Rugby World Cup 2003 Organising Committee has now agreed to the following pre-match displays:

1. The England team will chat about the weather, wave hankies in the air and attach bells to their ankles before moaning about how they invented the game and gave it to the world, and how it's not fair that everyone still thinks New Zealand are the best team in the world.

2. The Scotland team will chant "You lookin' at me Jimmy?" before smashing an IrnBru bottle over their opponents' heads.

3. The Ireland team will split into two, with the Southern half performing a Riverdance, while the Northerners march the Traditional route from their dressing room to the pitch, via their opponents dressing room.

4. Argentina will unexpectedly invade a small part of opposition territory, claim it as their own "Las In-Goals-Areas" and then be forcibly removed by the match stewards.

5. Two members of the South African team will claim to be more important than the other 13 whom they will imprison between the posts whilst they claim the rest of the pitch for themselves.

6. The Americans will not attend until almost full time. In future years they will amend the records to show that they were in fact the most important team in the tournament, won it single handedly and Hollywood will make a film called 'Saving No.8 Lyle'.

7. Five of the Canadian team will sing La Marseillaise and hold the rest of the team to ransom.

8. The Italian team will arrive in Armani gear, sexually harass the female stewards and then run away.

9. The Spanish will sneak into the other half of the pitch, mow it and then claim that it was all in line with European "grass quotas". They will then curl up under the posts and have a kip until half time, when their appeal for compensation against the UK government will be heard.

10. The Japanese will attempt to strengthen their team by offering good salaries to the key opposition players and then run around the pitch at high speed in a highly efficient manner before buying the ground (with a subsidy from the UK Government).

11.The French will declare they have new scientific evidence that the opposition are in fact all mad. They will then park lorries across the halfway line, let sheep loose in the opposition half and burn the officials.

12. The Australians will have a bar-b before negotiating lucrative singing and TV contracts in the UK. They will then invite all their mates to come and live with them in Shepherds Bush.

13. Unfortunately the Committee were unable to accept the Welsh suggestion following complaints from the RSPCA.

pure entertainment

just who the ferk is Peter Kay ? when there is a classic comedian amongst us :razz:  :brfc:  :D

Eh? Hardly think finding a joke doing the rounds on the internet and cutting and pasting it on here is going to have Peter Kay giving up the dayjob.

Very amusing though, wherever it originally came from.

Very fair comment but actually not the case at all. On the contrary these are expats I'm talking about. Again, don't get me wrong they're good blokes and quite a few are mates but this sport thing gets on my tits.

And another thing about them. To be fair this is very very few but the few are always Australian. Sitting there during the World Cup (football) and continually going on about them all being tarts for falling over etc etc. If you don't enjoy the game don't watch or at least just shut the f**k up.

True.. they think it's a "Poofs" game for wogs over here. Like you said, watch it leave. But every sport here is well followed and played by the vast majority.

England win vs Aussies (in Sydney)

Rovers win vs Man Utd (in Manchester)

What a day that would be! :rover:

KEEP DREAMING AND PRAYING

I kind of like this scenario more,

Australia beat England in Sydney

Rovers beat ManUre at Old Trafford

Australia beat Great Britain at Huddersfield

Basically a great day for the good guys  :D

But Tris, the Wallabies actually crossed the try line, something the guys in white couldn't do and in fact didn't look like doing. They'd rather let little Johnny get some kicking practise instead.

What's the problem? We didn't score a try, you can't kick it. Am I missing something. You wanna rewrite the rules?

Well den, I think that the IRB should change the point's structure for penalties and field goals. It has been done before, a few years ago the IRB changed the points awarded for a try from 4 to 5 in a hope that the game would open up a bit, and not end up being a penalty and field goal kick-a-thon (which at the time was happening).

The rule worked at first, but in the last few years, people would rather take the 3 points instead of going for a try.

RR, your point about a Penalty in football does not equate fully with a penalty in Rugby, in that it has to be an infringement in a restricted area to get a "one on one".

In rugby the shot ffor goal can be from anywhere that a team feels they can score, be it 5 yards or 55 yards. Furthermore, the infringement in rugby rest more on the refs opinion (in that it is not as clear cut as in football)

Having said that, if you read my post elsewhere, you'll find that, at one stage in the evolution of Rugby, the kick for goal was far more important than the try.

That's right Dave, also another thing is that a goal in football is always 1 points, no matter where and how it was scored.

Maybe another analogy would be, if a goal in football, in general play was 3 points and a goal from the spot is 1 point. As a goal in general play is always hard, some canny manager would probably start playing route one football, hoof the ball down the field and hope that one of the strikers would be fouled and take a shot from the spot, getting an easy one point. Now just imagine you're at a game like this, it doesn't look very good does it? Let's not talk about the amount of diving in the box that would happen.

It would probably like watching how Wimbledon played druring the 80's. Of course this football scenario is totally hypothetical.

Snow White stayed at home to do the housework and cook the dwarfs' lunches.

However, when she went to the mine to deliver their lunches, she found there had been a cave-in, and there was no sign of the dwarfs.

Tearfully she yelled in the mine entrance: "Hello, is anyone there?"

A voice floated up from the bowels of the mine: "Australia will win the Rugby World Cup."

"Thank God," said Snow White, "at least Dopey's still alive."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.