BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Houllier

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the heart scare is totally irrelevent to his ability to manage a football club. I take it that you would like him in charge at Ewood then Jim?

Nah, not much, just that he cares so much about it that it affected his health.

I'd love to know why the way he looks is relevant to his ability to manage a football club though. Perhpas you could produce an identikit picture of how a football manager should look?

And yes, I wouldn't mind him at Ewood. He's a fine respected coach.

I agree, I'd wouldn't be upset if he came to Rovers.

Gerard Houlllier said at the weekend that he was "100 per cent certain" that he would remain in charge at Anfield.

The Frenchman's optimism looks decidedly misplaced!

Candidates to replace Houllier are Alan Curbishley, Martin O'Neill, Rafael Benitez, or Jose Mourinho (if he has second thoughts about going to Chelsea.)

Below:

Houllier Left Out In The Cold

Gerard Houlllier said at the weekend that he was "100 per cent certain" that he would remain in charge at Anfield.

The Frenchman's optimism looks decidedly misplaced!

Candidates to replace Houllier are Alan Curbishley, Martin O'Neill, Rafael Benitez, or Jose Mourinho (if he has second thoughts about going to Chelsea.)

Below:

Houllier Left Out In The Cold

I hope they appoint Curbishley, it will be good to see a young english manager in charge of one of the bigger clubs in england.

Houllier's impending departure is potentially excellent news for Rovers.

That means there will be two fantastic coaches looking for jobs this summer - Houllier, who is already based in the North West, and Ranieri, who has already stated his desire to continue working in England.

I'd love to see either of them in charge at Ewood.

Now comes the difficult bit - have the Rovers board got the gumption to replace clueless Souness, or will they do nothing and leave that decision (which will have to be taken when we run into more problems next season anyway) in the "too difficult" file?

If the board are doing their job properly they should act now.

And yes, I wouldn't mind him at Ewood. He's a fine respected coach.

I agree, I'd wouldn't be upset if he came to Rovers.

Houllier Here?.........You're having a laugh!

Houllier here?.........You're having a laugh!

His spending makes the wildest excesses of The Hodgson / Kidd era seem like small change! And for what? By far and away the best players Lpool have this season came through the ranks. His tactics have even managed to make Kewell look ordinary.

He would either fail dramatically or bankrupt us.

What amazes me (and especially with all the good home grown managers around) is just what benefits do YOU think that he would bring to the party should he come here?

Edited by thenodrog

That means there will be two fantastic coaches looking for jobs this summer - Houllier, who is already based in the North West, and Ranieri, who has already stated his desire to continue working in England.

Chalk and Cheese mate!

Undoubtedly and rightly after some of the events and performances last season GS is under the microscope but there is little comparison between Ranieri and Houllier, they are at opposite ends of the managerial scale. Aspdens probably have about 10 better coaches than Houllier.

anyway stop winding folk up Jim........are you bored or what? Its the close season ffs. smile.gif

Apparently as of now he still has forty minutes left as Liverpool manager if his sacking is to be announced at 12 o' clock.

Amazingly he is the first Liverpool manager to be sacked since 1956!

Although his reputation has taken a battering over the last eighteen months he still brought silverware to Anfield. Not the Championship or the Champions League admittedly but silverware nonetheless.

In defence of Houllier, he did a better job at Liverpool than Souness did. Not that that was particualarly hard thing to do...

Houllier's impending departure is potentially excellent news for Rovers.

I'd love to see either of them in charge at Ewood.

Now comes the difficult bit - have the Rovers board got the gumption to replace clueless Souness, or will they do nothing and leave that decision (which will have to be taken when we run into more problems next season anyway) in the "too difficult" file?

If the board are doing their job properly they should act now.

Well Jim, you'd be happy to look at our recent reputation for hiring ex-Liverpool managers (i.e. Dalglish and Souness), or ex-managers of teams from Liverpool if you want to include Howard Kendall.

Personally, I'd rather not have Gerard here, his teams are dull and I think he'd sign just as much foreign rubbish instead of letting the youth come through.

Houllier deserves to go. Throughout his time at Liverpool he has seemed to have this obsession with soaking up the pressure and then hitting the opposing team on the counter attack.

Bought players for too much money and has had a very poor season for Liverpool.

On Sky Sports this morning they were discussing that Gordon Strachan could be a possible contender for the manager’s vacancy if Houllier does leave Anfield.

Why Houllier had to go - By Alan Hansen

The problem about the changes in management at Liverpool and Spurs is that two of the twenty richest clubs in the world are going to get new management.

Perhaps even Liverpool and Spurs are going to break the cycle of appointing managerial duds in which case the prospect of honours and European football returning to Ewood in the near future has just become a lot more remote.

I'm very sorry to see Houllier go, his managerial ineptitude had seen one of the biggest clubs in the English game become potentially catchable for any team that got its act together properly for a year. When Houllier took over at Liverpool the club was in an excellent position to push on and challenge for title honours again, thanks to the sterling work done by Roy Evans and , yes, Graeme Souness, in clearing up the malaise that had hit the club after the phenomenally succesful sides of the 80's. Houllier has prevented Liverpool from achieving that promise during his reign of stupor at Anfield, he has spent more than a 100 million pounds on players who aren't fit to lace the boots of those that have come through the youth system under the tutelage of the staff put in place under Evans. He has also shown a predilection for buying his own countrymen and nationals of other french-speaking countries for large amounts of money , Diao, Diouf, Cheyrou, Sinama-Pongolle, Le Tallec, Arphexad to name a few, with the possible exception of diving not one of them has contributed anything to justify the inflated transfer fees, and no doubt inflated wages they are being payed.

If Houllier gets within 10 miles of Ewood, it will signal the tolling of the death bell for our club, he's an unmitigated disaster when it comes to management, with a team containing strong willed leaders like Gerrard and Owen, he still can't get them to play as a cohesive force, what would happen to our bunch of mercenaries and hod-carriers under that fumbling?

Sir Bobby seems to be losing his midas touch up in the dreary north-east, but don't forget the position 'prestige' managers like Gullit had left what is another potentially huge club in before his arrival, they were looking like certainties for relegation, one of the greatest players ever to wear a Newcastle, or Rovers, shirt, Alan Shearer, was dropped because apparantly, he was the most over-rated player Gullit had ever seen, was selfish, contributed nothing to the team, and scored goals but didn't win trophies. Pity poor Ruud forgot that Shearer had in fact won a trophy, whereas the egotistical Dutchman couldn't manage to keep afloat, never mind acheive success, with a squad that contained a player who could be counted on to score consistent goals.

Liverpool have a great history and a big bank balance and with that Houlier didnt spend it very well and didnt make them much of a force so to be fair he had to go.

I believe if they could get Curbishley or O' Neill or maybe even McLaren then they could well become a much stringer side, however there is still a big clearing job needs doing there.

Looks like he isn’t.

Good news. Finally Liverpool has had some sense knocked into them and getting rid of that hypocrite of a manager.

Cheerio Gerard.

laugh.gif

Houllier to leave Liverpool

I consider this to be bad news. Liverpool might get someone in who knows what they are doing...

At least it should be more exciting football to watch the 25 times they are on TV over here next season (of course, anything is more exciting than they have been).

Latest odds from William Hill on Liverpool's new manager

(posted a link to the site but it didn't work)

Rafa Benitez 4/6

Alan Curbishley 3/1

Martin O' Neill 9/2

Gordon Strachan 6/1

Jose Mourinho 13/2

Steve Mclaren 14/1

Claudio Ranieri 20/1

Sammy Lee 33/1

Phil Thompson 33/1

Kevin Keegan 33/1

Kenny Dalglish 33/1

David O' Leary 33/1

Roy Evans 100/1

Edited by MC

If Liverpool could tempt O'Neill down you could see them becoming a real force again.

I reckon next to go will be Sir Bobby who seems to be similarly going backwards at a rate of knots at Newcastle.

is O'Neill really proven, ok he got Foxes mid table and won a couple of micky mouse cups, but in Scotland you are either going to finish 1st or 2nd with Cetlic, there is not other place, you could buy average PL players and they would be a different class in Soctland e.g. Lennon, Thompson, Hartson.

Liverpool is a job that O'Neill has not come close to, buy world class players to go with Owen Gerrard, Kewell. He can't go and buy average players and make the half decent, thats would not work at Liverpool.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.