BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Big Ron Forced To Resign

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while i definately dont condone ron's comments, i hate the whole racism debate. i dont understand why it has to be such a sensitive issue - people call each other fat and they dont get fired over it.  without meaning to cause any offence, i hate how i have to be so careful when refering to a black person. im not racist in any respect but a large part of the black community take offence to being called "coloured," or "black," or "negro." sometimes i dont know how to refer to a black person without being accused of being racist.  whats worse is that influential black people such as rappers refer to themselves in the same way that ron atkinson, an influential white man, did. so why is it ok for them to do it and not ron? i think i also speak for the majority who say that when a black person is racist towards the white population, not nearly enough focus is paid to it and in many cases a black person can be just as rasist as a white person.

Nonsense. How many black people do you know who are offended by being called black? Actually, you've answered the question with your misguided 'im (sic) not racist in any respect but...' rant. You don't know any black people, do you? If you did you would know that both negro and coloured are offensive. FYI so is 'half-caste'.

And, as you and Blue Phil seem to fail to understand, calling a black person a 'nigger' live on TV IS a sackable / resigning offence. Big Ron knows that and is big enough to hold his hands up to it. I don't think he's really a racist but at that moment he used racist language and he understands that it's wrong.

one of my friends is black and we often complain about this very thing. as you appear to be such an expert on the subject then can you explain why when i enter the word "negro," into a search engine i find sites such as the "negro college fund," the "negro baseball leagues," and the "journal of negro history." if it is so offensive then why do black people,who presumably run/found these organisations, name them the way they do? are you sure you actually know any black people? in addition to your first point, yes, i have seen on MANY occasions black people become angered by people refering to them as a "black person," as if it is an attempt to racially abuse them. the reason i "ranted," about not being racist is that i expected people to start calling me racist.

obviously calling somebody a "nigger," on national tv is a sackable offense, but thats not what i questioned in my original post. what i did complain about is the sensitivityy of racism in the country.

and in answer to ur second post, what i should have mentioned is that this person that was being yelled at had a severe attitude problem and was useless at his job. he simply "pulled the racist card," and thus, aided to make people think this was common practice with all black people, which it is not.

besides, i hated ron atkinson - i thought he was useless. im glad hes gone.

If he'd had the sense just to call him FRENCH (instead of the N word) then Big Ron would still be up for his £1m.

Dont forget that Cantona got off with his assault on Matthew Simmons because of the racism employed by MS when he told Eric to 'f**k off you French motherf***er'. Unbeleivably the upsetting bit was held to be the single word 'French'! laugh.giflaugh.gif

He made a racist remark, but if he didn't intend to denigrate Desailly because of his skin colour, then he wasn't racist, no.

I think he just had a mental abberation, that's all. He didn't outright call him by the words he used, he said some people would refer to him as *insert Ron's words*.

You never truly know what is going through someone's mind. I can only go with my gut feeling that he isn't a racist, just someone who's prone to making daft unthinking comments.

That said, he had to resign. I just hope he comes back at some stage, but at 65, he probably won't.  sad.gif

Let's get this straight.

Ron Atkinson is a racist born of the Alf Garnett generation. It must irk him terribly that the English title was won by a team most of whom are niggers playing the beautiful game with beautiful football.

Atkinson was found out and he has paid the price. Bye bye Ron, the world and your attitudes have moved on .

Let's get this straight.

Ron Atkinson is a racist born of the Alf Garnett generation. It must irk him terribly that the English title was won by a team most of whom are niggers playing the beautiful game with beautiful football.

Atkinson was found out and he has paid the price. Bye bye Ron, the world and your attitudes have moved on .

Well said Jim, sums it all up far better than I could.

.....Mmmnnnnnn......

..........Let's look at what you're saying........

Alf Garnett was a parody of a typical Eastender as portrayed by the liberal nobintelligenitalian elite.......

Everybody loved his Abbeylian honesty and joie de vie....

Both the Hammers team of Garnett and the sides managed by the evil neo-facist BigRon were full of "the niggers" that you gleefully refer to.

Let's face it - you're talking utter journalistic shiite.....

Isn't it about time that you pay the price ??

Bye bye bling bling Jimblow....

......Isn't it about time YOU moved on.......??

while i definately dont condone ron's comments, i hate the whole racism debate. i dont understand why it has to be such a sensitive issue - people call each other fat and they dont get fired over it.  without meaning to cause any offence, i hate how i have to be so careful when refering to a black person. im not racist in any respect but a large part of the black community take offence to being called "coloured," or "black," or "negro." sometimes i dont know how to refer to a black person without being accused of being racist.  whats worse is that influential black people such as rappers refer to themselves in the same way that ron atkinson, an influential white man, did. so why is it ok for them to do it and not ron? i think i also speak for the majority who say that when a black person is racist towards the white population, not nearly enough focus is paid to it and in many cases a black person can be just as rasist as a white person.

Nonsense. How many black people do you know who are offended by being called black? Actually, you've answered the question with your misguided 'im (sic) not racist in any respect but...' rant. You don't know any black people, do you? If you did you would know that both negro and coloured are offensive. FYI so is 'half-caste'.

And, as you and Blue Phil seem to fail to understand, calling a black person a 'nigger' live on TV IS a sackable / resigning offence. Big Ron knows that and is big enough to hold his hands up to it. I don't think he's really a racist but at that moment he used racist language and he understands that it's wrong.

one of my friends is black and we often complain about this very thing. as you appear to be such an expert on the subject then can you explain why when i enter the word "negro," into a search engine i find sites such as the "negro college fund," the "negro baseball leagues," and the "journal of negro history." if it is so offensive then why do black people,who presumably run/found these organisations, name them the way they do? are you sure you actually know any black people? in addition to your first point, yes, i have seen on MANY occasions black people become angered by people refering to them as a "black person," as if it is an attempt to racially abuse them. the reason i "ranted," about not being racist is that i expected people to start calling me racist.

obviously calling somebody a "nigger," on national tv is a sackable offense, but thats not what i questioned in my original post. what i did complain about is the sensitivityy of racism in the country.

and in answer to ur second post, what i should have mentioned is that this person that was being yelled at had a severe attitude problem and was useless at his job. he simply "pulled the racist card," and thus, aided to make people think this was common practice with all black people, which it is not.

besides, i hated ron atkinson - i thought he was useless. im glad hes gone.

Thank you for clarifying your comments. It was sad that you couldn't understand the difference between calling someone a 'fat b****** or a black b****** and why race is a sensitive issue. I suggest you visit some of the American 'negro' websites you talk of and read about the stuggle for civil rights, the slave trade and general oppression of black people over the centuries.

Regarding people becoming angry at being referred to a black, I suppose it's a matter of context. If it is a case of asking for someone's ethnicity, or to discribe someone's appearance, than I can't see how it would cause offence; I don't know of any black people in the course of my life who have objected to the term 'black' when describing what someone looks like. However, if you were repeatedly referred to as a 'black man' when race has no bearing on conversation (e.g. "I met this black bloke the other day who said he's off to Spain next week") or where race is used negatively (e.g. "well, he is a black man after all. What else would you expect?") it is another matter.

'Negro' may or may not be a term used is America - it certainly isn't a word used in Britain amongst the black people I know and organisations I have worked with. It's the same way that 'retardation' is still in use in the states, but is cringeworthy when used in the context of social care in the UK.

Let's get this straight.

Total idiocy of the highest order .

So now everyone - from the out and out raving nazis to a good man like Bigron ( who has done so much to promote the interests of blacks in the game ) - are all to be brought under the same umbrella of "racists" .

If you didn't see everything in such a simplistic , tabloid manner , then maybe you'd see the danger in branding nearly everyone who has referred to "minorities" in an unfashionable way as racists. You help merely to pave the way to an oppressive Orwellian state . What next ? Kids informing on their parents for using taboo words such as Nigger or Paki ? Informants and listening devices in the workplace ? Identity cards tracking thought waves when technology allows ?

So what happens when the next REAL political racist arrives on the scene , Jim? What are you going to call him ? A racist ? Won't work ; we'll all be racists by then . Nobody will be listening to jokers like yourself.

Clive Tyldesley admits that Ron mentioned the 'N' word in a conversation with him at the end of their broadcast.

Not surprisingly Tyldesley, in a newspaper article, now strongly condemns Ron's remark as "outrageous" - but I wonder if he strongly condemned it at the time?

Did he only raise objections to it later on after everyone knew about their conversation together?

Tyldesley's article in the Daily Telegraph is below at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...23/sfntyl23.xml

Paul McGrath has claimed that when he was at Aston Villa, Big Ron used to call his black players "coons".

Despite this, McGrath says that he's still got a lot of respect for Ron and he doesn't think that he's a racist.

Clive Tyldesley admits that Ron mentioned the 'N' word in a conversation with him at the end of their broadcast.

Not surprisingly Tyldesley, in a newspaper article, now strongly condemns Ron's remark as "outrageous" - but I wonder if he strongly condemned it at the time?

If you listen to the audio tape aesf then the answer is no.....unless Tyldesley needed to think about it for a minute or 2 first.

If you listen to the audio tape aesf then the answer is no.....unless Tyldesley needed to think about it for a minute or 2 first.

Would that be because the offending sentence didn't contain "Man Utd", "that night in Barcelona" or "treble", and thus rendered incomprehensible by Mr. Tyldesley ?.

Big Ron should be banned for life from visiting every ground in the country, according to TUC President Roger Lyons.

Mr Lyons told the TUC Black Workers Conference: "Atkinson was exposed as a racist of the worst possible kind. He should not be welcome at any football ground for the rest of his life."

Norwich City Chairwoman Delia Smith has added to the calls for Atkinson to receive a life ban.

Ms Smith, famous for her culinary exploits in the kitchen, gave Ron a roasting when she said: "His comments were absolutely disgraceful. I wouldn't want him to attend any match at Carrow Road for as long as I'm in charge here."

A couple of years ago, former Olympic champion Seb Coe was accused of making racist jibes against Linford Christie.

Link to that story below at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/1171320.stm

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

Big Ron should be banned for life from visiting every ground in the country, according to TUC President Roger Lyons.

Mr Lyons told the TUC Black Workers Conference: "Atkinson was exposed as a racist of the worst possible kind. He should not be welcome at any football ground for the rest of his life."

The TUC Black Workers Conference.

Of course that couldn't possibly be racist now could it? huh.gif

What it all comes down to is the social group a person is a member of. Something is deemed offensive to a person if the person having a go at them doesn't belong to the group they are having a go at.

You can call a Spaniard a "lazy Spaniard" if you are one, but not if you aren't. Likewise if you are black you can refer to other black people in the derogatory.

It works for all socal groups and taboos. Jewish people can have a pop at other Jews but non-jews are frowned upon for doing so.

Does this make sense?

Yes, comedians have been doing it for years. Is it not implicit that any 'group' can make fun of itself, but outside jest is frowned upon? Black, Jewish and Irish people have done it for ages.

Edited by Rovermatt

Ms Smith, famous for her culinary exploits in the kitchen, gave Ron a roasting

With recent reports on the sexual vernacular of footballers, this surely conjures up an image too unpleasant to countenance. Btw. who else was involved (allegedly) tongue.gif

Delia Smith was also recently in the headlines as Everton (champions of race relations) claimed City fans subjected a black Everton player to racial insults.

Arguing that the fans had targetted Rooney as a 'fat' (rather than another player as 'black') so and so, she will refuse to use the ticket provided by the Everton board when Norwich visit Goodison next season, and will instead sit with the fans.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.