BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Big Ron Forced To Resign

Sheffield Wednesday director puts his foot in it like Big Ron

Apparently Mr Addy used the the same "N" word which finished Big Ron's career....

I don't condone the use of such a word, but in today's modern liberal society if you kill another passenger, before running away from the scene and are convicted of causing death by dangerous driving - you can still be welcomed back into football with open arms, as was the case with Lee Hughes and Oldham FC. But if you say the "N" word then you are completely finished.

The Oldham chairman, when welcoming Lee Hughes to the club, said: "Everybody deserves a second chance".

But as poor old Big Ron found to his cost, if you say the "N" word, you don't get a second chance in football....

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Cases like Keith Addy & Ron Atkinson are totally out of proportion to the severity of the so-called 'crime', and a sad reflection on our soft-touch nation today. So much for sticks & stones, theyre only words, albeit ones which the majority of us are smart enough not to use. If they'd been racially aggravated (or any other sort of aggravated) physical assaults, then fair enough. But a bit of namecalling gets someone the sack? Come on! A reprimand would have sufficed in both cases. Even black players who played for Big Ron said the same thing.

And you can say what you like about Ron, I went on that Atkinson diet of his and lost a stone in a week.

• 1 year later...

Just watched Celebrity Wife Swap just now with Big Ron and Tessa Sanderson. It'sd obviously a very sore point with him.

You get the feeling he thinks he can't win. If he tries to do some suitable work in the community people will think he's only doing it to make amends, that if he didn't need to do some atonement, he wouldn't be doing it.

And will he only be remembered for that one comment? And not for his ground-breaking work bringing through black players into the English game.

Just think it's a shame, that's all.

I felt that the entire show was basically about whether Ron is a racist or not and not really about the show itself. Of course they had to bring up what happened but I didn't feel that they needed to spend the majority of the show talking about the one off incident when everyone knows that he isn't some kind of white supremacist. What he did was wrong, he accepts and understands that he was wrong to say it and I hope he gets back into the game because he's a great character and what he's done in football is up there with the best of them.

I felt that the entire show was basically about whether Ron is a racist or not and not really about the show itself. Of course they had to bring up what happened but I didn't feel that they needed to spend the majority of the show talking about the one off incident when everyone knows that he isn't some kind of white supremacist. What he did was wrong, he accepts and understands that he was wrong to say it and I hope he gets back into the game because he's a great character and what he's done in football is up there with the best of them.

the sheff weds guys `crime` sounds as though it`s even softer than what ron did. it`s likely he only stated that such a company treats their people likes n....ers. still not pleasant, but he isn`t offending an individual as such. why is it on tv/in movies when a black `homie` refers to caucasions as `white boy` in a derogatory manner, we are expected to laugh at it?

jonathan ross interviewed chris rock last year, and in the show he quoted chris rock`s act using the term `n....r`. he was only quoting his words, but even that was seen as controversial. it`s a f..ked up world.

Edited by saxo1man30

The Chris Rock definition of the word is appropriate in my view, and it desacribes a certain kind of person. And I do feel a bit sorry for Big Ron that one moment of madness. He may be slightly condescending towards or look down on black people, but quite a few his age are.

No doubt Mr. Rent-a-knob Ian Wright will 'tell it like it is' in The Sun or wherever.

I didn't watch the show, but I'll take your word for that. It would appear Big Ron is now synonymous with the 'N' word, which is pathetic really. Yes, he made a mistake and lost his job for it, but that was five years ago? People should move on.

He didn't say it per sae. All he said was 'in some schools......' The 'Get Big Ron' lynch mob was down to the workings of our press and media. Stick a secret mike in any workplace / pub / club etc etc and someone will get nabbed every five minutes for something un pc. Are they all deeply prejudiced? Not a chance.

I agree, but they aren't getting paid hundreds of thousands of pounds not to say things like that.

I think it is very unfortunate. Does anybody remember Matthew Kelly? He got accused of being a paedophile and wasn't seen on TV again. Mud sticks is a phrase I was taught when younger and seems even more valid today.

Mathew Kelly appeared as a serial killer on one of those ITV crime shows that appears on 9pm. I forget which one as there are many of these.

And for the BBC as an archeologist who dug up a lot of Egypt in the 19th century.

Remember reading his real passion wasn't for light entertainment but acting and he'd been constantly employed in the theatre.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.