BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The 'alan Smith' Type

Off the top of my head I can only think of a couple of players who stayed at "their" clubs at the expense of curtailed international careers - Matt Le Tissier and Steve Bull. They can hold their heads up and say they stuck by their teams through thick and thin, because playing for that team was even more important to them than playing top flight football (in the case of Bull), earning a lucrative wage at a big club, or even representing their country. Smith saying that he needs to leave Leeds to further his chances with England is fair enough, but at the same time it also sends the message that he cares more about his international prospects than the club he purports to love.

Most supporters would, given the chance, play for the club they follow regardless of whether that team was in the Premiership or the Unibond Premier, I know I would. Smith patently does not. The second he put his own ambitions before those of Leeds he stopped being a "fan", and became another self involved, self serving professional footballer. The fact that he has not ruled out a move to Man Ure, despite the fact that this would be the biggest kick in the guts he could possibly deliver to Leeds supporters, only underlines this point. As AESF says, crocodile tears from a greedy thug.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off the top of my head I can only think of a couple of players who stayed at "their" clubs at the expense of curtailed international careers - Matt Le Tissier and Steve Bull. They can hold their heads up and say they stuck by their teams through thick and thin, because playing for that team was even more important to them than playing top flight football (in the case of Bull), earning a lucrative wage at a big club, or even representing their country. Smith saying that he needs to leave Leeds to further his chances with England is fair enough, but at the same time it also sends the message that he cares more about his international prospects than the club he purports to love.

Most supporters would, given the chance, play for the club they follow regardless of whether that team was in the Premiership or the Unibond Premier, I know I would. Smith patently does not. The second he put his own ambitions before those of Leeds he stopped being a "fan", and became another self involved, self serving professional footballer. The fact that he has not ruled out a move to Man Ure, despite the fact that this would be the biggest kick in the guts he could possibly deliver to Leeds supporters, only underlines this point. As AESF says, crocodile tears from a greedy thug.

Would you really stay at Rovers if you were a top class mid twenty year old player if they were plummeting into relegation? The whole squad is being ripped apart to cover debts, the fans are miserable, the management is on a never ending carousel of changes and pay offs.

It is his career as well you know, loyalty is a fine thing but he wants to make the most of it. The clubs have as little loyalty to the players as the other way round- the right bid comes in and they would look to sell him, even force him out if at all possible. A bad run of games and all the fans would hate him, jump on his back, call for him to be dropped, insult him in the media. Where would he be then? A dried up journeyman with the sole consolation of knowing he stuck by his clubs side.... is that enough?

To turn the tables where is our loyalty for Matt Jansen, eh? Most of us are hardly calling for him to be reintroduced because we do not feel he would be good enough. Sentiment is a very small part of it, we want results. We are only as loyal to him as far as he is useful to the cause, if you see what I mean- we have Stead now. He is the new golden boy, so if Matty was harbouring a deep burning passion for Rovers he might well find his heart broke. The club may well just leave him behind.

Natural arrogance and self serving nature is not in any way linked with being a footballer. The reason that most footballers act in their own interests is because that is the way the game works- 99% of the people on this planet would act the same way- there is nothing to suggest they would not. It is a sad state of affairs, that I admit, but it is pointless getting on a high horse about it when we are little different.

It would be nice if it was a little more romantic, but that would come at the expense of the competition and quality that makes football what it is. If Rovers were made up of only players who cared passionately about the teams they played for then we would be effectively playing the fans. Would they of beat Man Utd on the first of May?

Edited by joey_big_nose

If Smith leaves then he leaves and people have to accept his decision.

If Smith was “loyal” then he would stay. As players say you can only play for a club first regularly if you have any chance to be considered for the England squad.

It’s a chance but if Smith was to stay at Leeds he still could get considered for the England squad if he was playing Division One Football with Leeds.

Several players have done it this year, James when he was at West Ham, Walker last year at Leicester so it can be done all be it that was goalkeepers being picked.

You can see it from the fans` view, Leeds, United always been a crunch game for both sets of fans.

He goes there and I wouldn’t expect the Leeds fans to open arms when or if Smith does go back to Elland Road.

Several clubs are interested in him in the Premier League and I’d expect them all to chase Smith’s signature until he chooses which club is best for him. But it’ll end up to the highest bidder out the lot.

Liverpool join Smith chase

Would you really stay at Rovers if you were a top class mid twenty year old player if they were plummeting into relegation? The whole squad is being ripped apart to cover debts, the fans are miserable, the management is on a never ending carousel of changes and pay offs.

It is his career as well you know, loyalty is a fine thing but he wants to make the most of it. The clubs have as little loyalty to the players as the other way round- the right bid comes in and they would look to sell him, even force him out if at all possible. A bad run of games and all the fans would hate him, jump on his back, call for him to be dropped, insult him in the media. Where would he be then? A dried up journeyman with the sole consolation of knowing he stuck by his clubs side.... is that enough?

To turn the tables where is our loyalty for Matt Jansen, eh? Most of us are hardly calling for him to be reintroduced because we do not feel he would be good enough. Sentiment is a very small part of it, we want results. We are only as loyal to him as far as he is useful to the cause, if you see what I mean- we have Stead now. He is the new golden boy, so if Matty was harbouring a deep burning passion for Rovers he might well find his heart broke. The club may well just leave him behind.

Natural arrogance and self serving nature is not in any way linked with being a footballer. The reason that most footballers act in their own interests is because that is the way the game works- 99% of the people on this planet would act the same way- there is nothing to suggest they would not. It is a sad state of affairs, that I admit, but it is pointless getting on a high horse about it when we are little different.

It would be nice if it was a little more romantic, but that would come at the expense of the competition and quality that makes football what it is. If Rovers were made up of only players who cared passionately about the teams they played for then we would be effectively playing the fans. Would they of beat Man Utd on the first of May?

Well said Joey_big_nose.

Are we all having a go at Stead for being a money grabbing so and so. Leaving the club he supported as boy when they were on the brink of promotion to get paid loads of money in the Premiership. Shocking.

Look at Simon Garner, he stuck with Rovers when he could have moved to a bigger club and as soon as we get promoted the club get rid of him, loyalty works both ways. Unfortunately it is lacking from the clubs just as much as the players.

I agree about Defoe getting slated for saying he wanted to leave West Ham and Smith being classed as a hero even though he did a similar act was out of order, but I can understand Smith wanting to play in the PL and England.

You only get one chance and you have to make the most of it.

Maybe AESF should change his name to AEAASF (Anti Euro Anti Alan Smith Fan) smile.gif

I think much of this thread is extremely harsh on Smith. Leeds have or had no more desire to keep their saleable assets (Smith Robinson and Viduka) than the players have to play in division1.

Presumably they would prefer to keep Milner as he'll be on far more reasonable wages but even that I would say is unlikely.

Suitable target for Rovers?

Despite being a bad boy at times , Smith has given his all for his club . In this day and age that's all you can ask and all you can realistically expect . His time is up at Leeds simply because they can't offer premiership football that someone of his talents deserves . Those who imply that an England career should be sacrificed for "loyalty" ( yes , you , Morph wink.gif ) are being a little too idealistic , methinks.

What's the big deal?

So he's decided to leave the club he supported to move to greener pastures...it happens plenty of times every season up and down the country so why do we have to keep banging on about Smith and only Smith?

I've nothing against Smith but let's not make him out to be something he isn't just because he cries a lot and keeps going on about how much he loves the club.

Quite simply it happens time and again at clubs up and down the country so why make Smith out to be so special?

As I said in my original post:

Smith saying that he needs to leave Leeds to further his chances with England is fair enough

However, for a player who has stated time and again how much he loves Leeds, bleeds white, blah blah blah, he was very quick to jump ship once their fate was sealed. In answer to JBN's question, given the choice of playing for Rovers in the third division or anyone else at any other level / international football, I would choose Rovers every time, but that's just me. Smith, unlike Jansen (to refer back to Joey's post), has long traded on his image as Leeds through and through, so it seems strange he wouldn't give them at least a season to see if they can't bounce straight back. After all, what would he really be jeapordising? Sven withdrawing his "standby" status because he will be playing in the first division next season? I doubt it. For someone who couldn't make the England team on a regular basis even when he was playing in the Premiership it just seems a convenient excuse to me. That said, I will happily concede that these opinions are coloured by the fact that I really don't like the little scrote. As for being an idealist? Thank you Phil, that's the nicest thing anyone has called me all day. smile.gif

Edited by Morph

All signs point to Smith going to the Theatre of Merchandising. That is a very sad indication of how precious his (already bulging) wallet is to him. All this kissing of 'tbadge and luv for 'tclub clearly means nothing to him. Why else would he screw the Leeds fans (of which is apparently one) over and move to their most hated rival?

Although I do find it hard to fully believe (so maybe I shouldn't be so scathing). He could command big wages at a number of clubs. Why go to a team he is supposed to despise by definition?

Edited by Rovermatt

To turn the tables where is our loyalty for Matt Jansen, eh?

On the contrary, it seems that the club and the fans have stayed pretty loyal to Matt over the past couple of years.

and smith has been loyal to leeds for the last couple of years. Its more a question of what happens when the chips are down, as in this summer.

Just been reading ceefax and there saying everton have bid 7m??last night on century they said they only had 1.5 million to spend.....someones spreading the billy bullshit somewhere.

They obviously did have more money than they were letting on because they bid £5 million for Sean Davis and Barry Ferguson respectively, in January.

Just been reading ceefax and there saying everton have bid 7m??last night on century they said they only had 1.5 million to spend.....someones spreading the billy bullshit somewhere.

They've been saying this on 5 live all day as well . I reckon Smith will wait and see what happens at Anfield re Mr O'Neill before he makes his decision . Unless he's already made his mind up to join the Scum - (in which case I owe Morph an apology.. ohmy.gif )

They've been saying this on 5 live all day as well . I reckon Smith will wait and see what happens at Anfield re Mr O'Neill before he makes his decision . Unless he's already made his mind up to join the Scum - (in which case I owe Morph an apology.. ohmy.gif )

IMO Everton know Smith will not sign for then so have bid to keep the fans happy. As has been said before it looks to me like the club are trying to boost season ticket sales.

Well, I've yet to see anything quoting Smith saying he wants to go to ManUre. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until then.

He goes to Everton, Newcastle, or even Liverpool (can't be too popular with Leeds fans at the moment) then that's acceptable. Let's face it, Smith has just been honest with the fans and stated it was time to move on. The club need the money too let's not forget.

However, if he moves to Utd then all his "love for Leeds" and "passion" will mean absolutely nothing. He'd not only be a traitor but an idiot as well. How easy will it be for him to return to his home town after signing for their most deadly rivals?

However, if he moves to Utd then all his "love for Leeds" and "passion" will mean absolutely nothing. He'd not only be a traitor but an idiot as well. How easy will it be for him to return to his home town after signing for their most deadly rivals?

Exactly. I hope he does move to Man Utd, just to show what a load of rubbish the badge kissing antics were. Can you imagine if we'd have been relegated a few years ago, and Burnley had got into the premier....i'll stop now

no one is saying that smith is not right to move, but for me its all that I am leeds through and though and then at the first chance he is off.

yes players want to ber better earn more, but at least be honest about it, its a job and there are not fans and there have to put there familes first, like we all do, but when they start all this kissing the badge rubbishm its just a show to get the fans on there side.

I feel no sympathy whatsoever for anybody involved with Leeds United.

Hard hearted numbskull!

having been through the nightmare of relegation before and watching numerous playoff's that ended in disapointment how can you say that you don't feel for any true fan going through the same thing, I got endless jibes from my brother in law who is a Leeds fan and my other half who is a Man U fan when we got relegated and the Brother in law now says he realises what a sh****r it is and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I do feel that if we had more home grown players in key positions or youngsters like Stead who are grateful for being given the chance to jump from a lower division really do care more for the clubs fortunes than fly by night's who just want a big wage packet for doing bugger all (yorke).

look at Roy keane, Giggs, Neville's, Owen, Gerrard, Shearer a newcastle lad at heart, all their clubs would be in a different position if it were'nt for their contribution.

The England game will suffer if we don't have more Smith's, Shearer's, Owen's and Steads playing in the Premiership.

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tongue.gif

Alan Smith signs for Man Utd. confirmed by the BBC here.

I reckon Smith will wait and see what happens at Anfield re Mr O'Neill before he makes his decision . Unless he's already made his mind up to join the Scum - (in which case I owe Morph an apology..  )

Any time you're ready phil...

wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Alan Smith signs for Man Utd. confirmed by the BBC here.

I reckon Smith will wait and see what happens at Anfield re Mr O'Neill before he makes his decision . Unless he's already made his mind up to join the Scum - (in which case I owe Morph an apology..  )

Any time you're ready phil...

wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Is he gonna kiss the United badge when he scores? Smith not Blue Phil I mean...

And showing that he truly "cares" about his club, he signed with their rivals, refusing to even listen to offers from other Prem clubs.

Oh, and thanks FLB, now I have an image of Phil jumping out of bed, picking up his jersey and kissing the badge. ohmy.gif

Edited by American

Dear , oh dear ; I now have to humbly apologise to Morph and accept that his judgement has been somewhat closer to reality than my own . sad.gif

It'll be a long time before my faith in human nature is restored.... The only kiss this scumbag deserves is the old Glasgow variety... mad.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.