BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cole To Leave?

I find it intriguing how:

Keegan really admires Cole

and

Souey really admires Fowler

Stop it with that talk !. Stop it now. I'll personally rip out Souness' heart and eat it if a swap happens, and we fail to get a left winger.

I actually would not mind seeing Robbie at Ewood PROVIDED Cole stays and he is payed reasonable wages (for somone in his form I would say an absolute maximum of 20k a week).

On the other hand Fowler commands at least 40k at Man City so I cant see him moving to us, especially as he would certainly (if sanity prevails) be behind Stead and Cole.

Cole should not leave unless we are getting PROVEN quality. Fowler is certainly not that.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I'd rather have Martin Fowler at Ewood than Robbie Fowler.

At least the Eastenders actor has youth on his side.

Fowler was ace but now is worse than your grandma/mum whatever...

Man City want shot after the season they have had yet some wouldn't mind him coming to Rovers....??

The mind boggles....

I'd be surprised if Cole stayed.

This just smacks of the Dunny situation last year.

We've seen it all before.

Personally I'd be disappointed if Cole left. The partnership he is forging with Stead has worked so far.

sad.gif

Same here I'm afraid. Not only a Dunn situation but also a bit of a Todd situation as well, but maybe not as much as a Yorke situation. We were well and truly in the brown stuff and there was Cole asking for time off and not wanting to go on that break they went on to Spain. Next thing he reports Souness to the PFA.

Not only that but this is the clubs last chance to get some money for him - as we all know he can walk away for nothing next summer.

I can only see this going one way.

As for Fowler. He's not been anywhere like his best for years now plus he's clearly over weight and doesn't look match fit. His Fruit and Veg stall might as well shut down for all the effort he puts in. I blame that Sonia. Much the same can be said of Robbie as well - and he's lost all his pace - and he's fallen out with his manager I think I read somewhere (that wouldn't happen at Rovers). I don't want either of them at Ewood.

I hope to high hell that Cole stays, unless we get the 7.5 million or so we paid for him back, which is highly unlikly. On the Fowler front, if a swap is in line, I wouldnt mind a Jansen/Fowler swap... sad as though I'd be to see Matty leave.

If Cole goes though, I will personally rip out his knee caps with a lemon zester.

I hope to high hell that Cole stays, unless we get the 7.5 million or so we paid for him back, which is highly unlikly.

On the Fowler front, if a swap is in line, I wouldnt mind a Jansen/Fowler swap... sad as though I'd be to see Matty leave.

If Cole goes though, I will personally rip out his knee caps with a lemon zester.

Quoting £7.5 million as an acceptable sale price is completely irrelevant to the current situation with Cole.

When you buy players of a certain age you have to accept that the price, like a car, depreciates over time.

If you purchased a brand new car from a showroom, after three years you would sell it on for less than you paid and accept that the difference in the two purchase prices is the cost to you for three years motoring in a new car.

The same factor goes for player purchase. When selling a player clubs offset how much they pay for a player against how much 'value' they have obtained from the purchase.

In Cole's case such matters to take into account would include him making a valuable contribution to saving us from relegation two years ago and a cup in the trophy cabinet.

I accept that you know that we wouldn't get £7.5 million IF we sold Cole, but you may as well say that you hope we can sell him for £30 million and use the money to buy back Duff and put the rest towards a new hotel for the Riverside - it's not going to happen.

I assume your last line about lemon zesters was supposed to be funny. It wasn't.

As for Fowler. He's not been anywhere like his best for years now plus  he's clearly over weight and doesn't look match fit. His Fruit and Veg stall might as well shut down for all the effort he puts in. I blame that Sonia. Much the same can be said of Robbie as well - and he's lost all his pace - and he's fallen out with his manager I think I read somewhere (that wouldn't happen at Rovers). I don't want either of them at Ewood.

I'd suggest if we were after a 'Cole-type' player the closest we could get would be Pauline Fowler.

For years in Walford she has practiced the hands-on-hip in exasperation stance and can whinge, sulk and moan like the best of them. You wouldn't see her turning up in dirty kit either, not with her background in washing the smalls of countless Cockneys down the years.

Certainly she has been playing better football than her once-awesome Scouse namesake Robbie for the past few years.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

What is it about Souness and players with 4 letters in their surname. He's sold Dunn and Duff, got rid of Berg, and this season he's fallen out with Todd and Cole.

Bent lasted less than a year as well. Although to be fair to Souness...Bent lasts less than a year at a different club every single season.

Are you talking about Cole or Fowler?

If the former I feel it's a bit unfair on him as he seems to have found a new enthusiasm for playing alongside Stead.

The point about Cole is that it only makes sense to sell him if we can get anyone as good as, or better, in to replace him.

Fowler might have been that player once but there's been little sign of it since he left Anfield.

Other than that, can't think of too many realistic candidates who are a better bet than (a motivated) Cole.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

Same here I'm afraid. Not only a Dunn situation but also a bit of a Todd situation as well, but maybe not as much as a Yorke situation. We were well and truly in the brown stuff and there was Cole asking for time off and not wanting to go on that break they went on to Spain. Next thing he reports Souness to the PFA.

Not only that but this is the clubs last chance to get some money for him - as we all know he can walk away for nothing next summer.

I can only see this going one way.

As for Fowler. He's not been anywhere like his best for years now plus he's clearly over weight and doesn't look match fit. His Fruit and Veg stall might as well shut down for all the effort he puts in. I blame that Sonia. Much the same can be said of Robbie as well - and he's lost all his pace - and he's fallen out with his manager I think I read somewhere (that wouldn't happen at Rovers). I don't want either of them at Ewood.

I respectfully disagree.

Not wanting to go on a now discredited spanish bonding trip is more a sign of good judgement and marital fidelity.

Dunn was about "I've tried everything I can with this boy and he still under-performs"

Todd let him dowm in match situation.

Yorke and Babbel let him down in every match situation

Cole has done none of the above. His lifestyle is beyond reproach, he was again our top scorer, he shone once we had a system that used his strength of running onto through balls, he is clearly good for Stead's development.

Where else are we going to get a player who scores once every 2 1/2 games in a team that has spent far too long of the last 3 years scrapping around at the bottom?

Our team and our results will not be improved by Cole leaving.

If Souness is to learn from this season as his fans seem convinved he will, then learning to reach an accomodation with Cole that saves face for both parties would be a good start.

I respectfully disagree.

Fair do's. I wasn't actually saying we should sell him - just second guessing what I think may happen. I was making a case for the reasons as to why the club may decide to sell. We shall see.

I certainly don't want him to go. I agree with you, we have to consider that it'll cost a few bob to replace him - probably more than we have to spend this summer (I'm guessing again). As for a "discredited Spanish bonding trip" - I thought that was Leicester City?

His lifestyle is beyond reproach, he was again our top scorer, he shone once we had a system that used his strength of running onto through balls, he is clearly good for Stead's development.

Our team and our results will not be improved by Cole leaving.

If Souness is to learn from this season as his fans seem convinved he will, then learning to reach an accomodation with Cole that saves face for both parties would be a good start.

Hear hear!

I remember mid season when both Yorke and Cole were getting terrible stick from the media and they found themselves on the bench, well the fan sang Coles name and ignored or insulted yorke "lazy you know what", so Cole had to be please that he came through that bad patch ,leaving Yorke behind and had a great end to the season like he started it.

What is it about Souness and players with 4 letters in their surname. He's sold Dunn and Duff, got rid of Berg, and this season he's fallen out with Todd and Cole.

hmm maybe Souey thought York as in city of. rolleyes.gif

that it'll cost a few bob to replace him - probably more than we have to spend this summer (I'm guessing again).

Surely not putting yourself up for transfer BobF?? laugh.giflaugh.gif

You martyr you

HAIL BOBF! HAIL BOBF! HAIL BOBF! rolleyes.gif

Have to hope Cole stays but the thing is...

If only one of Cole or Souness can stay - which one would be best for Rovers? Our top goalscorer or our manager? A year ago I'd have backed Souness unreservedly but after this season and if he really is prepared to let Cole go....I'm not so sure anymore.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.