BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tugay To Pompey......

Berkovic is a bit old and moody though. Mind you, I can't think of an alternative other than taking the show pony Joe Cole on loan.

Berkovitch is 32 . Surely this isn't the way to replace Tugay whose age is worrying some of us ? I know money's tight at the moment , but at the start of next season we'd be back to square one.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite me being an admirer of Bazza I have to start wondering where our goals will come from. Even if we sign a good left-sided player (MGP or Karyaka?) then I fear it'll be like last season with Emerton, that we only have one creative outlet. Hopefully we'll have 2-3 of those (New player, Emmo (Now that he's not alone), Thommo, Bazza) and I'll look stupid when we put 4 past Liverpool, but I'm worried. I would really like to keep Tugay for one more year in order to get a proper replacement.

Kim Källström would've been perfect. 21 years old, cost £1.6m, will be a starter in Euro 2004. He can play behind the strikers as well as in a deeper role. Great set piece taker, scores quite a few goals (Had 11 goals in 13 games from midfield some way into last season). And guess what? He's left footed. Too bad we didn't move for him in the transfer window tho as Rennes got him sad.gif

Berkovic would've been a good signing as well, even if it was only a short-term solution.

from thesun.co.uk

TUGAY is ready to snub a new deal at Blackburn to seal a free transfer to Galatasaray.

The Turkey international, out of contract at Ewood Park this summer, has been offered the chance to stay for another year by boss Graeme Souness.

But Galatasaray are set to hijack Souness’ bid after opening talks with the midfielder, who joined Blackburn for £1.3million from Rangers in 2001.

Tugay, 33, spent the first 12 years of his career with the Istanbul giants and admits he is tempted by a return.

He said: “Blackburn have offered me a contract but we put that on hold when Galatasaray made an offer.

“I’m very settled in England but playing

for Galatasaray in their centenary year sounds appealing to me.

“If I return to Galatasaray I will retire there.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well if he goes then maybe we could turn the tables and move for Berkovitz. If we are intending using the tactics that we employed in the last few games there are few better.

That would be akin to buying Paul Dickov as a replacement for Andy Cole.

Despite me being an admirer of Bazza I have to start wondering where our goals will come from. Even if we sign a good left-sided player (MGP or Karyaka?) then I fear it'll be like last season with Emerton, that we only have one creative outlet. Hopefully we'll have 2-3 of those (New player, Emmo (Now that he's not alone), Thommo, Bazza) and I'll look stupid when we put 4 past Liverpool, but I'm worried. I would really like to keep Tugay for one more year in order to get a proper replacement.

Barry Ferguson is very capable of scoring goals. Once he is fully fit he will be our regular set piece taker, and a good one at that. He's got that late Tim Sherwood-esque run into the box in his repertoire. In his last full season he scored 18 goals for Rangers, and yes I know that was only the SPL, but on the other hand they play less games. I think he'll chip in with a decent amount.

Thats just a minor point though, other than I totally agree with your arguement for keeping Toogs.

According to CNN-Turk Tugay signed with Rovers for another year. He said he loves the fans and staying with Rovers. There were 4 offers on the table two from other premier teams.

Cheers from Istanbul

According to CNN-Turk Tugay signed with Rovers for another year. He said he loves the fans and staying with Rovers. There were 4 offers on the table two from other premier teams.

Cheers from Istanbul

I hope thats true, getting Tugay for another 12 months is about right for both parties. Hopefully he can play well enough next season to put pressure on the club for another 12.

Absolutely delighted.

Tugay is one of the best footballers to have graced Ewood Park in my lifetime.

Hopefully, the backroom shifts means the Rovers can go back to playing the sort of football in which Tugay can keep the ball whizzing around the park to colleagues with spatial awareness.

It is true he has slowed down but he's still good enough to find a blue and white shirt making themselves available.

Last season was the hide and don't take responsibility season.

Symptomatic when the boss is ruling by terror.

Jury is out for me on Toogs. He was a shadow of himself last season compare to the previous seasons, mind you I did see one or two sweet passes to set up Andy Cole for goals. Tugay looked all the world to me like a footballer suffering from complete burnout last season.

I feel it had something to do with the Euro 2004 campaign, almost seemed to take his enthusiasm for the game away. Many times his facial expressions and body language seemed to show that he was not really enjoying himself.

Hopefully with his international retirement and some quality rest this off season he can come back refreshed and hungry for action and show us he can still be the World class player we know and love.

Edited by USABlue

from rovers.co.uk

ROVERS’ midfield duo Tugay and Jonathan Douglas are expected to reach a decision on their respective contract offers next week.

Bit different than HAVE signed contracts.

Ambivalent about this. I was hoping for Donnelly to be given more of a first team role with Tugay's departure, but now he'll probably get farmed out again.

However, if Tugay can rekindle his form, he'll be a very useful player next season. But note that huge word, 'if'.

Pleased if Douglas signs, but a four-year deal seems a bit OTT if thats what it is.

We thought losing Duff was a huge blow. This wouldnt be far behind. When Tugay doesnt play, Rovers don't play. If he goes, we've got enormous problems.

I Know T4E thinks Tugay is a god but bloody hell , Duffer and Tugay in same quality league, nah sorry, maybe if they were the same age but PLEASE,.

Yeah he is good on his day when he plays 100% but that aint happened as often this season, maybe he's gettin too old to hack it week in week out.

sad.gif

We thought losing Duff was a huge blow. This wouldnt be far behind. When Tugay doesnt play, Rovers don't play. If he goes, we've got enormous problems.

I Know T4E thinks Tugay is a god but bloody hell , Duffer and Tugay in same quality league, nah sorry, maybe if they were the same age but PLEASE,.

Yeah he is good on his day when he plays 100% but that aint happened as often this season, maybe he's gettin too old to hack it week in week out.

sad.gif

You know I think he's a God? I've never spoken to you in my life, you have no idea what I think.

I stand by that point. I said "not far behind". Duff was fantastic when he was on top form, and he could have a lot of influence. But he was a left winger, and our record without him when he was a Rovers player was pretty good.

Tugay is the heart of almost everything we do, but at the moment we dont have anyone to replace him. The jury is out on Ferguson, and we need another season to decide if he can take his place.

For now, the re-signing of Tugay is essential.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.