BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Dickov Signs - Good Deal Or Not ?

Is buying Dickov a good move for Rovers ?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Is buying Dickov a good move for Rovers ?

• Fantastic. A proven Premiership goal scorer is just what we need.
    • Good buy for the money, but not the most important signing we'll make.
    • Average Player, Average Deal.
    • Squad player at best, can't see the point, we already have much better.
    • Insane purchase, the club is going backwards.
    • He'll never be as good as Lee Grooby.

This poll is closed to new votes

its that all you can say

Yeah, because i'm bored at your attempt to be 'The controversial one' on the message board.

its that all you can say

: Yeah, because i'm bored at your attempt to be 'The controversial one' on the message board. :

its that all you can say

: Yeah, because i'm bored at your attempt to be 'The controversial one' on the message board. :

its that all you can say

: Yeah, because i'm bored at your attempt to be 'The controversial one' on the message board.

sorry tom to be the contrversial one but i say it as i see,dikov to me is a very poor signing.i will never say oh he is great,just to not upset the pro souness brigade.

i may think youth is the way forward.but did sir alex not also hold that view. :

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Waggy - Don't get me wrong, i love the idea of youth coming through the ranks and succeeding for Rovers. We've produced some fantastic youth players in the past and they've don'e excellent for us.

BUT - we haven't got any youth players of good enough quality yet. The likes of Barker and Garner are coming through but not right now.

For the time being, we have this proven goal scorer with the work rate of about 70 horses. So lets enjoy the few years of service he gives us whilst Barker and Garner are getting older and ready for the big time.

Edited by Tom Pringle

really does signal just how far we have slipped as a club over the last couple of seasons and most people seem ok with it now!

Cast your minds back - duff, dunn, jansen, just signed johanson etc  we had a crop of very exciting youngsters and surrounded by a few older pro's in flitty, berg etc.

If we were to improve that side, we were looking at big name players to come in.

Now, we are content to go back to the kidd days of signing players like ashley ward.

Oh well - 90% of the rovers faithful will be happy.  They will see a player dieing for the cause. A player prepared to crash though the advertising hoardings to save a throw in. Someone who will kiss the badge and really really mean it. Someone the fans can relate too?

What we lose, is an exciting, attacking, unpredictable team that on there day could challenge anyone.

I'd rather have Yorke any day than dickov & I would have done more to try and get the team to play the football we used to play. To get the team to play to the strengths of the few world class players we did have.

Oh well. It's a changing times.

That all aside - I will continue to support the Rovers and welcome Dickov when he signs. I'll just be gutted everytime I think what might have been!

As things stand, as soon we sign/bring up a decent player, Chelsea or Man Utd will take them off our hands for a wdege of cash. We are no longer contenders. Deal with it.

Everyone here would love to see Duff, the old Jansen, Henry etc. in our shirt, but it isn't going to happen. We can't go and sign Schnijder, Van Der Vaart, Ronaldinho and Thuram, so we have work within our limits, and not keep thinking we're going to go for the Champions League.

Tell me, where are these fantastic players we can get for 50p, and bring back those days ?.

It's all about being satisfied with what we can get, and sadly it isn't Henry.

Andy C- that is the biggest pile of crap I've ever read.

First, back when we had players like jansen,duff and dunn we were in DIVISION 1!! Now souness has brought his own squad in and despite a bad season last season, this is the best squad of players we have had since king kennys team.

Back to the Kidd days?? What planet are you on, we are signing the like of van buyten and a young prospect called Moten Pederson!

Also, you say we lose an exciting team who were unpredictable. Well i would rather rovers played boring football every game and still won every game than play the best football and be unpredictable.

And what the hell are you talking about when you say you would rather have yorke than dickov. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN YORKE PLAY!!

I feel you are saying this so you can be, as Pringle said to waggy ,'The controversial one'

And that my friends is fundamentally how this signing has got to be looked at.

However, just a thought by my goodself based on what is flying about at the mo -

If we do lose/sell Cole is Dickov a direct replacement or just a stop gap at a reasonable price and within budget for the time being pending funds availiability?

Or

As Cole is probably only 1 more season left in him at Premier level are we cashing in and as Dickov been bought for the progessive same reason as what Cole was originally bought for?

It is without question, we do need strenghthening in other areas as a priority and the lack of funds is definitely playing a part - so only time will tell.

This will do nothing to inspire the purchasing of season tickets by 'the fairweather fans' as JW puts it, which in all essence shoots down their aspirations of attracting back the casual fan with price freezes.

What we all have to do though is just give Dickov the chance and await to see what actually unveils during the next coming weeks

I'm of a similar view about youth players waggy, but which youngsters are potential Duffs in our squad ?. The only one who gets loads of praise here is Garner, and isn't he about 15 ?. Could/should the likes of Donnolly, Watt, Johnson or Fitzgerald move up to make the grade next season ?.

I cannot comment as I have never seen them play, so I am in no real position to say who is good, or bad.

not really sure about this one, is getting old and although 11 goals is not bad, some were pens, so in open play probably not an improvement on what we have, still he's cheap and hopefully will be happy on the bench, but more important then Dickov will be the signings in key areas in midfield.

Well i think its a good signing, it will give more competition for strikers and he is cheap. The board users moaning about this, what the hell do you expect? Tell me who you would have signed? You have to wake up and realise that we arent a big club, we dont have millions to spend and were never going to challenge for the title in the forseeable future.

i may think youth is the way forward.but did sir alex not also hold that view. :

Waggy- how can you possibly compare Sir Alex's careful nuturing of youth players over half a decade in some cases before gradually blooding them in the team, usually after loan deals at other clubs with your call to spontaneously throw in the youngsters, presumably just for the hell of it? The approach you suggested is infintely less subtle and potentially far more damaging to the players than anything Ferguson would put his name to.

Well, imo we've bought an average first division player who gives us absolutely nothing that we haven't already got. The plus side is that it hasn't cost us too much money.

If there's any truth in the stories that he's here to replace Cole then we really are buggered next season. Hopefully he'll just be a backup striker to Cole & Stead.

I'd rather have Yorke any day than dickov

Oh come on, when are you going to give this up!

We can't afford to carry passengers. Who had the better season last year, Yorke or Dickov?

And no, it's not about playing to the crowd by chasing lost causes, it's about having some god damn application, rather than living off past glories.

Were you moaning when we got Brad on a free that it harked back to the Ashley Ward days?

Sheesh. ph34r.gif

really does signal just how far we have slipped as a club over the last couple of seasons and most people seem ok with it now!

Cast your minds back - duff, dunn, jansen, just signed johanson etc  we had a crop of very exciting youngsters and surrounded by a few older pro's in flitty, berg etc.

If we were to improve that side, we were looking at big name players to come in.

Now, we are content to go back to the kidd days of signing players like ashley ward.

Oh well - 90% of the rovers faithful will be happy.  They will see a player dieing for the cause. A player prepared to crash though the advertising hoardings to save a throw in. Someone who will kiss the badge and really really mean it. Someone the fans can relate too?

What we lose, is an exciting, attacking, unpredictable team that on there day could challenge anyone.

I'd rather have Yorke any day than dickov & I would have done more to try and get the team to play the football we used to play. To get the team to play to the strengths of the few world class players we did have.

Oh well. It's a changing times.

That all aside - I will continue to support the Rovers and welcome Dickov when he signs. I'll just be gutted everytime I think what might have been!

As things stand, as soon we sign/bring up a decent player, Chelsea or Man Utd will take them off our hands for a wdege of cash. We are no longer contenders. Deal with it.

Everyone here would love to see Duff, the old Jansen, Henry etc. in our shirt, but it isn't going to happen. We can't go and sign Schnijder, Van Der Vaart, Ronaldinho and Thuram, so we have work within our limits, and not keep thinking we're going to go for the Champions League.

Tell me, where are these fantastic players we can get for 50p, and bring back those days ?.

Andy C- that is the biggest pile of crap I've ever read.

First, back when we had players like jansen,duff and dunn we were in DIVISION 1!! Now souness has brought his own squad in and despite a bad season last season, this is the best squad of players we have had since king kennys team.

Back to the Kidd days?? What planet are you on, we are signing the like of van buyten and a young prospect called Moten Pederson!

Also, you say we lose an exciting team who were unpredictable. Well i would rather rovers played boring football every game and still won every game than play the best football and be unpredictable.

And what the hell are you talking about when you say you would rather have yorke than dickov. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN YORKE PLAY!!

I feel you are saying this so you can be, as Pringle said to waggy ,'The controversial one'

Yes we were in division one. We then went on to win the Worthington Cup and finish 10th with largely the same players (and Andy Cole). You're only as good as your last game (how often has that been said here in the past week?), and we were better in 2002/03 than 2003/04 - so how can we have our best squad since Kenny?

We haven't signed Pedersen or van Buyten yet. There's nothing to suggest we are millimetres away from it either.

Our "boring" football has not won us every game, and the addition of Dickov will not change that. Nor have they won more games than the "exciting, unpredictable" team that we had when the starlets were shining through.

"And what the hell are you talking about when you say you would rather have yorke than dickov. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN YORKE PLAY!!"

In the season where we finished 6th, we won something like 8 of the games he scored in. Yorke occsionally looks like the player who was so good for Man Utd, and its great to watch. Even this season he has scored a few important goals, most notably at the Reebok. Andy C has listed Dickov's merits, and they are attractive enough. I would rather have Dickov than Yorke because I think next season he will score more goals. However, I fully see his point of view because every so often Yorke would help us play a wonderful brand of football.

Nothing contraversial at all. Football is all about opinions.

Marvellous signing, great little player who fights like a tiger, will also do a lot of good for the general attitude and moral in the squad and around the club. He's also cost us absolute peanuts, further proof of what Souness can do when he's forced to spend very small sums.

yeah, so Redknapp, Mclaren etc are ###### opinions of players- Dickov for the PREMIERSHIP is a very good buy, for all your Anti-Souness moaners, it would not of happened without him!

So there were nine Premier League clubs who wanted him? Just wonder how many are preparing bids for our Dwight?

AndyC - "Oh well - 90% of the rovers faithful will be happy. They will see a player dieing for the cause. A player prepared to crash though the advertising hoardings to save a throw in. Someone who will kiss the badge and really really mean it. Someone the fans can relate too?"

Besides the badge kissing, which is so last year, Yes - I bloody hope so - it will make a nice change from the behaviour of a certain striker currently on our books.

AndyC - "I'd rather have Yorke any day than dickov"

Yes - that one.

Perhaps Mr Dickov was not quite the name I was expecting as the striker we would capture this summer but indeed since his proposed signing was rumoured I have been reading posts on here and considering the interesting comments made by fellow fans of rovers, I have come to believe he will be a good signing, whether he will start many games or not or indeed be first choice sub or be the regular starter week in week out remains to be seen, but I agree he offers a new dimension to our attack, a hunger to chase at anything and by doing so may allow more chances for the midfield to follow through and add a few goals to their tallys this yr, and it is well known the first line of defence starts in the opposition penalty area even if that means pressurising the goalkeeper on a pass back,19 times out of 20 this will result in nothing but that other once might end up in a fifty fifty reound following at our king strike machine Stead to calmly slot home.Indeed it will take a bit of the burden off stead to have someone this feisty up there along with him.Perhaps he is even seen as a star substitute star who will come on 15 mins to go and chase everything that could prove to be a very shrewd move with Dickovs speed....allowing that the price I have seen mentioned on this board is correct it should allow us to chase other targets without too much dent in our budget,Pederson and Van Buyten would be a joy to see in a blue and white shirt next yr and well probably not likely but there is always a possibility of Butt coming i suppose if he decides to leave man utd as im sure a whole host of clubs would like his services in their teams but anyways i would see that as a very succesful summer at the shops....

So there were nine Premier League clubs who wanted him?

Just be aware of what you have said here Bobf - could come back and slap you in the mush - just look at Emerton (similar scenario!)laugh.giflaugh.gif

Personally feel that at the price, this is not too bad a buy dependent upon what happens with Cole/replacement?

At least he's British.

How come the price has gone up though - thought he could leave for £75k?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.