BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Dickov Signs - Good Deal Or Not ?

Is buying Dickov a good move for Rovers ?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Is buying Dickov a good move for Rovers ?

• Fantastic. A proven Premiership goal scorer is just what we need.
    • Good buy for the money, but not the most important signing we'll make.
    • Average Player, Average Deal.
    • Squad player at best, can't see the point, we already have much better.
    • Insane purchase, the club is going backwards.
    • He'll never be as good as Lee Grooby.

This poll is closed to new votes

Good signing as long as:

1) We bring in a decent left winger and centre back with the money saved on not spending too much on a striker.

2) His arrival doesn't mean that Andy Cole departs

3) His arrival doesn't mean we discard Matty Jansen

4) His arrival doesn't mean that Gally is elbowed out and into a loan deal at WBA or somewhere rubbish like that.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good signing as long as:

1) We bring in a decent left winger and centre back with the money saved on not spending too much on a striker.

4) His arrival doesn't mean that Gally is elbowed out and into a loan deal at WBA or somewhere rubbish like that.

And Matt Jansen offers precisely what that Dickov does not?

The reality is this is a very good signing for Rovers.

Dickov will never take on three players and nutmeg the keeper and he knows it. He's a gritty little pain in the a*se. He'll work all day and hope its enough to create a chance for someone else or get on the end of something himself.

For £200,000 you probably won't find a better a deal next season when you look at the fee paid to goals scored. The most expensive players are the people who put the ball in the back of the net and we have someone who scored 13 goals in a side who were relegated before the season started, for next to nothing.

the fact that nine other premier league clubs wanted him speaks volumes, as does the fact he seems to have chose us.

Well, imo we've bought an average first division player who gives us absolutely nothing that we haven't already got.  The plus side is that it hasn't cost us too much money.

Well he certainly doesn't play like any of the forwards we already have so I don't know what you mean with that, I can tell that from the limited amount that I've seen him. Dickov is a handful for opposition defenders, getting in their way and disrupting their game which certainly none of our current forwards do.

There are two types of forward I'd have liked to have seen us get. The first is a target man who can hold the ball up, win flick-ons, run the channels, and get on the end of crosses. The second is someone with real pace who will allow us to play the ball over the top of the opposition's defence and turn defenders. A forward of either type would give the team more options.

None of our current forwards perform either of these roles. Neither does Dickov. Imo Gallagher, Stead and even Jansen can perform the run around hassling defenders for 90 minutes role.

Good signing for the money. Ok he is no Henry or Shearer, but they cost small fortunes because they are few and far between. As for signing someone like Ashton form Crewe, yes he is a very good player but IMO you can not play Stead and Gally upfront game after game.

They are both still learning and need someone to take the pressure off them, which i think Dickov will do, where as Ashton would take time to adapt, as would other younger less experienced players. As as been said he is not a replacment for Cole but will be a welcome addition to the squad. rover.gif

I stick with what I said at the outset, very disappointed we're going for players like Dickov but after seeing his goal scoring record last season I did have a slight change of heart.

For the money you've got to take a chance and he's a real awkward customer for opposition defenders to deal with.

Also I think to beat of the competition for his signature should give us all cause for optimism.

Lets hope this signing paves the way for a couple more aditions, younger and season ticket sellers.

i may think youth is the way forward.but did sir alex not also hold that view. :

Waggy- how can you possibly compare Sir Alex's careful nuturing of youth players over half a decade in some cases before gradually blooding them in the team, usually after loan deals at other clubs with your call to spontaneously throw in the youngsters, presumably just for the hell of it? The approach you suggested is infintely less subtle and potentially far more damaging to the players than anything Ferguson would put his name to.

rover.gif beg to differ,the 3rd premiership season fergie started with all his youngsters,they got hammered 3-1 at villa and hansen said YOU WIN NOWT WITH KIDS,which utd did,they won the league,

yes beckham went to preston,and the nevilles and scoles to bury or stocprt,but were have danns-donnely-harkins etc been in the last few years. tinykit.gif

That says it all really waggy.

From Beckham, the Nevilles and Scholes directly onto Danns-donelly-harkins and all in the one sentence. That is one of the reasons why mentioning Ferguson in the manner as your own ideas for chucking in the youth is ludicrous. Ferguson's idea is too gradually introduce them- yours was "Chuck 'em in! I don't know most of their names but chuck in anyway".

If they are good enough they are old enough is Ferguson's matra- but he then still only gradually puts them in the team. If they aren't good enough they shouldn't be in our team. Souness has a history at Rovers of putting youngsters in the team. I'm sure that if they are good they will get the chance when they are ready- not just when you stick a post on a messageboard calling for them all to get a chance right away. If, like Burgess, they aren't good enough then get rid. Let's not get all sentimental bout players just because they are young. Youth doesn't win points all on its own

Nice to see the BBC have fully understood Rovers' situation. I like their accurate approach to reporting.

"Souness intends to use Dickov as a striker partner for Jon Stead in place of the out-of-favour Andy Cole."

Good signing as long as:

And Matt Jansen offers precisely what that Dickov does not?

A little bit of class and trickery that every fan in the country cry's out for.

I can see what you're saying, but, would you rather have Dickov, or Jansen pre coma????

EXACTLY!! Stupid question

Nevertheless, Dickov will probably be our top goal scorer next season with an almighty Henry-esque 13 goals blink.gif

This signing comes into the "insane" bracket if it is intended as a replacement for Cole.

If it is intended to provide competition for places behind Cole and Stead I still don't think he's a patch on Gallagher or even Jansen so I'd put it in the "squad player, no better than what we've got" category.

Wonder why he chose us over the other clubs. Higher wages or the promise of first team football?

Either way I do worry about the direction the club is taking.

When we were promoted Souness said that staying in the Premiership for five years would be the making of us. In practice quite the opposite seems to be happening, we seem to be going backwards at a rate of knots.

I'll give you £500 if Danns is good enough to go on to be England captain.

rover.gif and i'll give you a million if dikov scores 30 goals next season. tinykit.gif

So you agree that both have absolutely no chance of happening?

Why mention it then. Fergie may well have been able to bring through an exceptional crop of youngsters but it will only work if you have the players. You can't polish a turd.

Well, imo we've bought an average first division player who gives us absolutely nothing that we haven't already got.  The plus side is that it hasn't cost us too much money.

Well he certainly doesn't play like any of the forwards we already have so I don't know what you mean with that, I can tell that from the limited amount that I've seen him. Dickov is a handful for opposition defenders, getting in their way and disrupting their game which certainly none of our current forwards do.

There are two types of forward I'd have liked to have seen us get. The first is a target man who can hold the ball up, win flick-ons, run the channels, and get on the end of crosses. The second is someone with real pace who will allow us to play the ball over the top of the opposition's defence and turn defenders. A forward of either type would give the team more options.

I don't disagree with what you say but I still think that for the price Dickov is a decent if unspectacular signing. To be honest I'd also like to see Jansen go and a targetman brought in. Not that I don't like Matt but how long do we have to wait for him to come good again? Just can't see it happening and if he wasn't on a lucrative long-term contract I doubt he'd still be here and some other club would have taken a chance on him.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

rover.gif great signing my arse,souness has just garaunteed another bad season,paul dickov is a good 1st division player at best. tinykit.gif

Some people will never be happy unless were signing ronaldo or henry

withstupid.gif

Erasing the last 6 words of the sentence would make it a bit more accurate. I'm of the opinion that he'll be a good signing for the money - he works extremely hard, has a bit of pace and can score a few in the Prem, which is good enough for me. The speculation about him replacing Cole had better be as ridiculous as it sounds, though. tinykit.gif

Exactly... PRE-injury

He offers nothing now other than memories to us of his promotion system.

Jansen offers no trickery that we 'cry out for' at this moment in time, and has not for a long time other than his LPOOL goal.

Dickov is a good acquisition

If it is intended to provide competition for places behind Cole and Stead I still don't think he's a patch on Gallagher or even Jansen so I'd put it in the "squad player, no better than what we've got" category.

The Jansen of today or pre accident?

If the former your comments fall in the "insane" bracket.

Let's at least give the guy a chance before writing him off.

All the Leicester fans I've seen comment on this are really disappointed to see him go and believe he is quality. Scored a bunch of goals last season as well.

rover.gif But obviously we all know better because we've seen him twice this season compared to theirs 30+ And as you're aware, the less you see of a player the better position you're in to judge tinykit.gif

While I doubt I'll be singing his praises any time soon, if he's a Yorke replacement, then fine. If Stead carries on like last year, then he's a first teamer for sure, ditto Andy Cole. That leaves Dickov, Gally and Jansen. Gally probably should go onloan somewhere to getr some first team experience (he isnt Premiership quality yet), and that leaves Jansen and Dickov as back-ups. One ageing but good quality player in Dickov, and one potentially lethal player who hasnt found consistency... seems like a pretty balanced setup to me.

So, Dickov, good buy.

Yorke, goodbye.

Inspiring to see that he chose us over 8 other candidates... and as some have stated here previously- certainly it can't be due to our deep pockets.

Good to see that mr. dickov has chosen the halves for 04-05... good taste.

The signing can only be positive as it should barely dent the transfer kitty. Hope JW/ GS now concentrate it on more young blood for the back 4 and midfield.

Edited by blue/white

In my opinion there's two ways at looking at the reasons why he has signed and what reflection this has on our club one is naturally positive while the other negative:

A: he's chosen us over 8 other premiership club because he feels we are the best.

B: he feels that our competition for places is not as strong as the others and he'll play more football with us.

For the money it isnt a bad move. Ideally we would of got some1 who is proven who is around 25 but that would cost too much money, which at the moment we havnt got. i just hope rovers fortunes can be improved soon. Shame that Thia doesnt want 30% of Rovers for £65 million

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.