BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Dickov Signs - Good Deal Or Not ?

Is buying Dickov a good move for Rovers ?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Is buying Dickov a good move for Rovers ?

• Fantastic. A proven Premiership goal scorer is just what we need.
    • Good buy for the money, but not the most important signing we'll make.
    • Average Player, Average Deal.
    • Squad player at best, can't see the point, we already have much better.
    • Insane purchase, the club is going backwards.
    • He'll never be as good as Lee Grooby.

This poll is closed to new votes

In my opinion there's two ways at looking at the reasons why he has signed and what reflection this has on our club one is naturally positive while the other negative:

A: he's chosen us over 8 other premiership club because he feels we are the best.

B: he feels that our competition for places is not as strong as the others and he'll play more football with us.

I think answer A.

Boro and Everton do not have better strike forces for starters.

We have cole, Stead, Gallagher and Jansen. They aint easy to get past for a starting place.

Boro have Job and Maccorni fella and everton have two strikers in rooney radszinsky, but no back up. I personally think we have the best strike force, as the goals for last season probably prove

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly... PRE-injury

He offers nothing now other than memories to us of his promotion system.

Jansen offers no trickery that we 'cry out for' at this moment in time, and has not for a long time other than his LPOOL goal.

Dickov is a good acquisition

He must be offering something, on the training ground if nothing else, to still be employed by BRFC.

Souness is no pushover. He's not the sort to let Matty off for underperforming just because Matty leaves an 'apple' on his desk every morning.

He is still very skillful and just needs a run of games to bag a few goals and instill some much needed and long overdue confidence.

However, i'm afraid Matty isn't now going to get this chance being 5th in the pecking order and he will be sold for peanuts or simply given away at the end of next season. sad.gif

I personally won't be happy until he puts pen to paper and officailly becomes a Rovers player. We have had this done to us too many times in the past only for people to go against their word.

Look at Roy Keane, came to Blackburn, shook hands and agreed to join Rovers from Forest, 24 hours later became a United player.

Eriksson agree in pricipal to become our manager and we all know what happened there.

Shearer agreed to stay with us. 24 hours later he signed for Newcastle.

Lets just hope Dickov sticks his word. blink.gif

billy, greggyk, bryan etc etc

I know we are not in the market for a Henry. I never even remotely suggested we should be signing players of his calibre.

I like to watch a certain style of football. My biggest worry is that we are now signing players that I don't see as taking us forward in footballing terms. Sure - he will put himself about and make a nuisance, but i don't particulary like that style of football.

As Scotty points out. He's neither a big target man, or a pacy forward. How I would have loved to sign a fast young centre forward that is not the finished article and needs some proper coaching. Saunders etc can then show us what they can really do by turning him into a proper player.

My reference to the kidd days was purely a comparison of the type of player dickov is. I see him as exactly like ashley ward and look where that got us. Plenty of commitment, honest running etc but very little class.

My post also had nothing to do with being 'controversial' I simply believe the game should be played a certain way and it's such a shame that Souness used to talk about our attacking exciting football, but now talks about needing a team of grafters.

And as 1864 said - the minute he pulls on the shirt - he gets nothing but encouragement from me in the ground. On here though - I can say what I really think whilst not being to the detriment of the team.

Edited by AndyC

Who are the nutters who are voting the first option?

Me, I blame whoever made up the poll options, I'm between 1 and 2, think he's a fantastic signing who may well be the most important one we make, certainly pound for pound, not for his ability on the football pitch but for what he adds to the squad in terms of attitude and drive. Although of course he's not a remarkably succesful goal-scorer.

He's neither a big target man, or a pacy forward. How I would have loved to sign a fast young centre forward that is not the finished article and needs some proper coaching.

You've never watched him play, have you?

A little bit of class and trickery that every fan in the country cry's out for.

I can see what you're saying, but, would you rather have Dickov, or Jansen pre coma????

EXACTLY!! Stupid question

Indeed, why on earth would you sign Paul Dickov when you have a time-travel machine and can go and buy players before they have achieved their potential? blink.gif

He's neither a big target man, or a pacy forward. How I would have loved to sign a fast young centre forward that is not the finished article and needs some proper coaching.

I've seen dickov many times. Mostly on Sky, but enough to know that he is neither of the 2 things I mentioned.

reading this the deal is far from done, to quote the article "Dickov now JUST has to agree personal terms, that might not be as easy as they make it out to be, he rejected a "significantly improved" offer from Leicester, so I guess it'll all depend if we value him the same as they did.

Rovers fans will LOVE Paul Dickov, there is no doubt about that in my mind, so he's not a big name signing, was Stead? he will give his all every game, thats what we all want isn't it??

stead was originally bought as one for the future. someone who clearly knew where the back of the net was as he was banging in the goals for fun at his hudersfield. Most people were excited that we could have a real gem on our hands.

sadly - we know what ( limited) offering paul brings us.

feel free to have a go when he tops the scoring charts next season and is instrumental in getting us back to playing free flowing attacking football.

what will probably happen though, is that he comes off the bench when things aren't going well and we will change our chest high balls to even longer punts up field.

jeeeeeez. i really am having a bad day!

my mate saw him loads at city and he says he gives 100% but very little else ,he thinks hes one of the worst strikers ever to wear a city shirt....my thoughts are ???mmmmmmmm???not sure,i know when ive seen him ive never once thought that lad lad would be good for rovers.

I think it's a decent buy, gives us the option of mixing things up a bit. Of course the "Prawn sandwich Juniors" won't like it cos he's not a big name signing. I think he will earn his keep.

Wasn't there a similar debate about whether or not the player was good enough or that the club showed no ambition when we signed Andy Todd, he ended up being one of the best players last season.

my mate saw him loads at city and he says he gives 100% but very little else ,he thinks hes one of the worst strikers ever to wear a city shirt....my thoughts are ???mmmmmmmm???not sure,i know when ive seen him ive never once thought that lad lad would be good for rovers.

My point was more that he's clearly a player with pace, unlike the one AndyC must be thinking of. I've seen him playing for Scotland and I'm certainly impressed with his workrate - he hasn't scored many goals for us, but he has proved that he can score goals in the premiership.

I cant see this a good buy. He is 31 years old there are no future in this player.

We have to buy a player who can make a partnership with Stead over a periode for minimum 4 years. We should have bought a player in the mid twenties, which could have kept Cole in the frame for the comming season, and we could intergrate the new player to make a perfect partnership with Stead for the seasin 2005/06.

I think he is an average player who can score 5-8 goals next year,I do believe that it doesnt IMPROVE our team BUT im content because I ASSUME that the club are going to spend all of our funds on a central defender and left winger which are higher priorities for sure!If we end up with disappointing signings in those areas too,then we can all complain!

LATEST-

Dickov hasnt signed anything yet,but agreed in principle.He will sign papers next week.

They'll have to hurry up with the new kit then, so they can parade him in a Rovers shirt.

I've got a sewing machine I'm willing to lend.......... rolleyes.gif

Edited by roversmum

They'll have to hurry up with the new kit then, so they can parade him in a Rovers shirt.

I've got a sewing machine I'm willing to lend.......... rolleyes.gif

Never volunteer.

Next thing they will expect you to knit a new net for the goal mouth.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.