BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matteo In Rovers Talks.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the figures are correct and we're only paying 750k - 1million for him then he's a steal.

I won't dwell on his ability as a defender because having played at the highest level for many years now that’s not in question. But one thing I feel he'll bring to the team is leadership. We've struggled in that department in recent seasons and Matteo will bring that in abundance.

Good signing for me if it goes through.

I view it as swapping Todd for Matteo, and I don't think we would be coming out to badly from the deal. All we are doing is rearranging our squad (as with Dickov) for little to no outlay, & from what I've seen so far it seems like some astute dealing is being done. Hope Dominic signs for us I think he will be a positive role model for the young defenders we have coming through. tinykit.gif

I'm not totally against the Matteo signing (if it happens) but we need a balance between bringing in experienced players and younger players.

That's my point aswell. Infact I do think Matteo would be a sound versatile player to have in the squad, who can play in midfield and in defence. With Dickov and the possible acquisition of Matteo, we're putting our squad through another tough challenge in the nearest future, that is regeneration.

Most of these players will be most likely gone or will have trouble genuinely fighting for a place in the squad for the start of 2006 campaign.

Amorosu, Short*, Todd*, Flitcroft, Tugay*, Cole*, Yorke*, Dickov, Friedel

This leaves us with players like Thompson, Jansen, Johansson, Neill as the players that have been at Rovers 1st team squad the longest and to be honest, I can't see any of them being anywhere close to the likes of Short, Flitcroft et al in terms of being a leader and providing the backbone of the team and showing the newcomers how things work at Blackburn.

We need to be looking every season to be replacing those players above with players in their mid 20s to provide the team a sound future. Last year we brought in players like Emerton, Enckleman and Ferguson who are all in the right age but this season we've gone back to square 1 and started to look at short term signings.

Alot of people felt that the backbone was ripped apart with the departures of Dunn, Duff, Berg, Gillespie all whom who were pivotal figures in providing the team with the backbone and whom the new players knew that they'd been at the club for years and provided the familiarity and it's part of the game that every 4-5 seasons there will be major changes and as a fan you accept that but it'll be tough to accept it if the problem isn't solved and instead carries on from season to season.

I view it as swapping Todd for Matteo, and I don't think we would be coming out to badly from the deal. All we are doing is rearranging our squad (as with Dickov) for little to no outlay, & from what I've seen so far it seems like some astute dealing is being done. Hope Dominic signs for us I think he will be a positive role model for the young defenders we have coming through. tinykit.gif

Souey is playing it clever and offering to take over his contract for a free transfer rather than a bid of around 750k.

Can't believe that, depending upon how long Matteo's contract has to run that could be a very poor deal. 3 years at 40kp.w. would cost us £6m. We'd be much better off paying more for a younger player on lower wages who'll retain his value.

For Matteo £1m and a 2 or 3 year deal on £20k p.w. would make more sense.

Souey is playing it clever and offering to take over his contract for a free transfer rather than a bid of around 750k.

Can't believe that, depending upon how long Matteo's contract has to run that could be a very poor deal. 3 years at 40kp.w. would cost us £6m. We'd be much better off paying more for a younger player on lower wages who'll retain his value.

For Matteo £1m and a 2 or 3 year deal on £20k p.w. would make more sense.

I agree - paying anything near his current wages would be a very bad move. For a defender to be paid £40k in today's climate, he has to be one of the best in the world. So a solid defender, aged 30, with dodgy knees that mean he's unlikely to manage to play every game shouldn't be worth more than £20k a week, or maybe £25k if he arrives on a free.

The calculatons are probably something like this.

Leeds- get rid of Matteo as SOON and with as little financial damage possible. Any transfer fee would be a bonus but that would only happen in an all out bidding war between several Prem sides. Part of their tactics will be quiet disclosure to Matteo that they are in very deep financial trouble- still/again. He has probably been told that leaving the club will be a noble sacrifice which will help it to survive.

Matteo- staying at Leeds means drinking lots of Coca Cola and burping instead of playing decent competitive football. Scottish caps are at risk at a time when for the first time in his career there are signs the Scots might be putting a decent side together. He has just gone through a period in which his salary was only part paid and he has no confidence he will see the £6m over the next three years if he stays at Leeds. Besides the club have made it very clear they want rid.

Rovers- get Matteo but not at any cost. Therefore publicly announce that Matteo is in talks as soon as they start and rely on JW/GS track record of getting their targets to put other clubs off enterng the race. GS sayng no fee but we take the contract is a way of avoiding unwelcome pressure coming onto the Leeds board to find other buyers.

So far Rovers are in the driving seat. The club has the cash and Prem league position to offer Matteo an elegant way forwards.

Likely deal: Free transfer, smallish goodbye payment from Leeds to get rid of the contract (by saying they want to get rid they effectively have to buy him out), Matteo comes to Ewood on a contract of 35 to 50% less than he was on at Leeds, glad that he can look forwards to receiving a still very handsome wage with certainty and delighted to be back in the Prem with the prospect of regular appearances. tinykit.gif

Edited by philipl

Matteo is poop.

We should of pursued Van Buyten..

But nooooooooooo we take the cheap option..

Matteo is a good player. Can play in the midfield and in the heart of defence.

A played who leads by example, someone who plays with passion for the game.

He’s a good buy for the price he’s available at but he’s on £40k a week.

As for the Van Buyten. He’s too expensive for us, our spending days are over in splashing the cash and £4m plus maybe on one player wasn’t the solution to buying several players that are needed.

Matteo is poop.

We should of pursued Van Buyten..

But nooooooooooo we take the cheap option..

What a daft post, really.

If we can't afford the expensive option what do you suggest Rovers do ?

Curl up and die ? Play Dwight Yorke at centre half ?

Article could be bullsh*t but makes sense Celtic being after a centre-back.

Article also suggests he will go there as his family are 'celtic mad fans'.

They will offer more cash for him as we are only trying to take over his contract.

What a daft post, really.

If we can't afford the expensive option what do you suggest Rovers do ?

Matteo will be a very poor signing..

A very big mistake to sign him..

Given that Matteo, if he comes, would be a direct replacement for Todd, I reckon he would be a massive improvement in every respect.

I would have had more time for your carping if Rovers dod not already have four (Short, Nissa, Amo, McEveley) top level contenders for central midfield.

Matteo's ability to play at full back gives us more options in positions we are more exposed if Neill/Gray are injured, suspended or loose form.

I would have had more time for your carping if Rovers dod not already have four (Short, Nissa, Amo, McEveley) top level contenders for central midfield.

You been out in the Maltese afternoon sun Philipl ?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.