BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Going To Be A Long Cold Season

With the Pederson deal looking increasingly doubtful (Would he be the answer anyway?)

Why is it looking increasingly doubtful?

You don't sign players in an afternoon you know, it takes a little longer, unless you're Chelsea.

And why do you think he wouldn't be the answer? Have you seen him play then?

ph34r.gif

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so a few good points have been raised by Mr Ptholt. But what annoys me is the blinkered attitude of these negative posters. OK we signed Dickov. OK not the best signing that will be made this season but it is far from the worst, especially for the money.

You say Souness is only signing players who are 30+, you forget to mention Stead and Emerton (I could go on) the fact we have made a bid for MGP who is only just in his 20's and as Kennys magic hat says hardly anyone has made any signings yet, so there is time.

Matteo is in his 30's but who knows what Souness has in mind, he may think signing a younger centre back for 3 times the money is a waste as one or two of the youth players will be pushing through so he buys a cheaper older player in Matteo to bridge the gap.

We have had one bad season, we have 2 of our best players coming back from injury and Souness has finally opened his eyes to the fact we lack a very good centre back and more importantly a Left Winger. What we don't want is Souness rushing to buy a load of 20 year olds and wasting what limited funds available and I think Souness is too shrewd an operator to do that.

I work with 4 Rangers fans, 2 of them season ticket holders

All four of them would welcome Amo back tomorrow

Its a funny old game isn't it, i used to live near Glasgow so know lots of gers and hoops fans, most of them roll over laughing whenever anyone ever mentions him, its a funny old game init.

Bloody hell, what are you a Gypsy????

Actualy no it's a yet another thread where somebody decides to make a name for themselves by being 'controversial' knowing full well the response they will get.  A poster that has watched highlights last season but has come over all mystic meg and already can tell us what kind of a season we will have next year.

Even Jim is prepared to wait till the first couple of games next season.

I am not attmpting to make a name for myself, i was posting my opinions and concerns on a bulletin board, which is what i thought they were for, foolish me, there obviously to sit around towing the party line and if you dont toe that line its obviously open season....

also the fact i am only able to watch live games on sky and portuguse tv (which is more than you would think) and the highlights on itv means im not entitled to voice my opinion, perhaps that should be added to the terms and conditions for membership here if thats the case?

Plesae only post if you are a season ticket holder and can attend in person a minimium of x matches a season...

all i mentioned about the season is that its long (it is compared to the rest of europe) and its cold (well it is the uk in the winter!) the majority of my post was about the current player recruitment policy and that i would prefer a different course of action, i don't find it that enthusiastic that our current player signings emulate relegation candidates tactics more than it does those that will finish in top half.

I'm not saying i don't want any experience in the squad but our average team age is more akin to a derby and joan club trip to eastbourne than a premiership team, and if all this experience and age is so good just how many mid 30's players are in the england team? how many in the other top half of the prem?

as for being a gypsy, its what comes when you live in a forces family, you tend to move around a fair bit and see quite a bit, something quite a few here could do with hehe tongue.gif

Edited by ptholt

Yet another thread where someone who doesn't subscribe to the "Everything is perfectly alright, the first 34 games of last season didn't happen, I can't hear you, LA LA LA...." is responded to with either disdain or personal attacks.

Actualy no it's a yet another thread where somebody decides to make a name for themselves by being 'controversial' knowing full well the response they will get. A poster that has watched highlights last season but has come over all mystic meg and already can tell us what kind of a season we will have next year.

Well I watched most of our games last season, and I'm certainly not "trying to make a name for myself", but I find myself agreeing with some of what ptholt has said and virtually all of what EiT said. I'm not remotely excited about the signings we've made or been linked with so far, I've got no faith that Souness will learn from his many mistakes of last year, and I suspect we'll struggle again next season.

The time to judge is at Christmas, not after a couple of games - we started pretty well last year if you remember. However, that doesn't mean we can't speculate and add our opinions on here. By all means, if we're in the top half at Xmas and playing well you can dig this thread up and give me all the stick you want. I'll be delighted to take it. But slagging people just because they post something negative about the Rovers is just childish.

I can understand that people are getting negative vibes from the signings we are making.

You have to understand that with a budget of £4 million that the majority of it will go on a left sided midfielder.

The signings of Dickov and Matteo who do improve on what we have as well and both have shown they can hack it in the Prem league. After the signing of Matteo, I suspect the next arrival will be a left midfielder.

Then after that, we can assess the money we have then maybe an 'exciting' free or loan maybe.

Fact is, next season it looks like we will be a much harder team to beat and we will have a more workman like look to our team. As teams like Charlton have shown, that combination can work in the Premiership.

Well, I did a little research and calculations. Last season, as of Christmas time, the oldest team was Wolves with an average age of 30.1, the youngest was ManUnited at 25.6 (this was players having made 5 appearances by that point of the season). For the entire season, we had an average age of 27.26 (counting players with 10 or more appearances). Last I checked, that would be lower than the middle point of top and bottom.

(Also, to update my earlier post, both our left backs are under 30, didn't realize Gray was only 29 and forgot that Gresko was only 25.)

By all means, if we're in the top half at Xmas and playing well you can dig this thread up and give me all the stick you want. I'll be delighted to take it.

I think we'll forget all the threads and just do that anyway, even if we're bottom of the league and haven't scored a single goal.

If that's OK.

You still got off the bus in Huddersfield.

funny how when your views or concerns don't sit well with others they have to resort to getting personal, sad really, obvisouly not many posters here work for the samiratans lol, but life would be boring if we were all the same, specially if it was red rose tinted like many on here tongue.gif

half the league were after dickov?

which league was that? dr martins? southern central?

i read an awful lot about who fancied having dickov, think it amounted to about 3 clubs who were relegation battlers last season, including us. Sad reality is he's a battling journeyman, like several others who drift from relegated club to relegation prospects each close season.

couldn't agree more.

his agent did a very good job on the PR front.

however - I have come around to the view, that hopefully he won't be playing much, except for the odd game where our first 3 strikers aren't fit / suspended

By all means, if we're in the top half at Xmas and playing well you can dig this thread up and give me all the stick you want.  I'll be delighted to take it.

I think we'll forget all the threads and just do that anyway, even if we're bottom of the league and haven't scored a single goal.

If that's OK.

You still got off the bus in Huddersfield.

biggrin.gif

all i mentioned about the season is that its long (it is compared to the rest of europe) and its cold (well it is the uk in the winter!) the majority of my post was about the current player recruitment policy and that i would prefer a different course of action, i don't find it that enthusiastic that our current player signings emulate relegation candidates tactics more than it does those that will finish in top half.

I would never suggest you don't merit an opinion because of living far away but if you are going to come on slating players who in my opnion helped us stay up then I think you can expect a bit of stick.

As for the title of the thread well yes technically England is cold compared to Portugal but I think that you now as well as I know that wasn't the point you were making. By all means post your opnions in fact don't let me stop you it certainly isn't my intention and if I have jumped down you throat then I apologise.

I think you deserve credit for the way you have backed up your arguments if nothing else I just feel that we should surely wait until the season is underway before we start slating the signings.

cheers

No problems mancs blue, the heat and lack of cold beer and tabs was having an effect on me smile.gif

if nothing else it gives us something to talk about in the close season smile.gif

and im not entirely convinced if xmas is the time to take stock, as we all know what happens to the team who's bottom come xmas, i would rather the club be proactive instead of reactive.

Edited by ptholt

Yet another thread where someone who doesn't subscribe to the "Everything is perfectly alright, the first 34 games of last season didn't happen, I can't hear you, LA LA LA...." is responded to with either disdain or personal attacks.

Actualy no it's a yet another thread where somebody decides to make a name for themselves by being 'controversial' knowing full well the response they will get. A poster that has watched highlights last season but has come over all mystic meg and already can tell us what kind of a season we will have next year.

Well I watched most of our games last season, and I'm certainly not "trying to make a name for myself", but I find myself agreeing with some of what ptholt has said and virtually all of what EiT said. I'm not remotely excited about the signings we've made or been linked with so far, I've got no faith that Souness will learn from his many mistakes of last year, and I suspect we'll struggle again next season.

The time to judge is at Christmas, not after a couple of games - we started pretty well last year if you remember. However, that doesn't mean we can't speculate and add our opinions on here. By all means, if we're in the top half at Xmas and playing well you can dig this thread up and give me all the stick you want. I'll be delighted to take it. But slagging people just because they post something negative about the Rovers is just childish.

My post could hardly be considered a slagging-off now could it and I can't really see where i'm being childish. As for your points well you state the time to judge is Christmas but surely that is backing up what I am saying. I would have a go at anyone who came on now and said next season will be crap be it you or anyone, in fact especially you tongue.gif

I was actually hoping someone might cheer me up with some news or views that would make me feel better, quite the opposite in fact lol.

i'll just have to console myself with the lovely algarve sunshine and the footie that starts tomorrow at the bottom of my hill smile.gif

You could go a long way to cheering yourself up, for a start SHUT UP. Then go and mingle with your own kind.

i dont understand it when people keep saying we are a retirement home for players and then go on about all the old players who came in last season. Who exactly are these old pensioners? fergie emo reid gresko stead enks and gray are all under 30 only amo was not.

I didn't say it was a policy that only started last year, i was bemoaning the policy itself, there is a list earlier in the thread of the rovers derby + joan club attendees.

Can anyone living near ewood confirm the rumour that car parking spaces have reduced in size so they can fit several players zimmer frames instead of there cars? smile.gif

interesting that some web sites are reportiing that Tugay wants two more years on his contract currently being haggled, from memory he's about 33 now, so look forward to seeing him run rings round scott parker, frank lampard et al when he's 35 ohmy.gif

I wondered how long it'd take the gloom monster to arrive.

Here you go your vulgurness. Your throne awaits tongue.gif

The gloom merchants have the best of both world though. On one hand, when things are going well they can say 'yeeeeah, we're looking good, i love it when we win' on the other hand if we lose they can say 'i told you so!'

I'm gonna join them, it's much more fun.

What do they do in training, go Oysterhausen, Andre/re-sen/son/san almost cost this club dearly, Cole will leave, Souness out, bring back Batty and co. swans are harder

Well I watched most of our games last season,

we started pretty well last year if you remember.

Scotty, I know you watched most of the games, excellent reports, but your memory is going. smile.gif

Apart from the first game of the season against Wolves we didnt win another home game untill November, and during that spell we had one away win at Portsmouth.

You could go a long way to cheering yourself up, for a start SHUT UP.  Then go and mingle with your own kind.

usablue, would that be my own kind that can have a conversation and debate without resorting to throwing toys out the pram in a strop?

nice constructive post that one, as for my own kind, i thought i was mingling with fellow supporters here, but posts like yours are starting to make me wonder, perhaps site should be changed to 'Blackburn rovers supporters club for sheep' as you must conform to certain people views or be flamed.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA - wheres the mint sauce.

Edited by ptholt

I dunno about next season, certainly gonna be a loooooooooooooooong close season! laugh.gif

"Souness is crapola, we'll get relegated by November for sure, he only buys has-beens, he should buy X, Y and Z, but he doesn't because he's rubbish, and I wish someone would listen to me, but you're all souness-lovers who don't come from Blackburn, unlike me, I don't either!"

"That's rubbish, he's not rubbish, look how far we've come under him, we've signed some good young players."

"No we haven't, look at the players we almost signed but didn't, they're in their early thirties FFS! If he'd signed those then he really would've been rubbish. But he didn't. But he's still rubbish!"

"No he isn't!"

"Yes he is!"

ariston and on and on and on and on ...

Not even halfway through June yet.

It is hotter in Blackburn than it is in Malta if I read the weather reports correctly and it is sure hot as hell in Arizona. Not much happening on the transfer front, the Euro Championships haven't started yet and deep down we all expect that Zidane and Henry will continue where Puskas left off...

Welcome to the Rovers (we really do support the same team honest..) chatboard.

"Souness is crapola, we'll get relegated by November for sure, he only buys has-beens, he should buy X, Y and Z, but he doesn't because he's rubbish, and I wish someone would listen to me, but you're all souness-lovers who don't come from Blackburn, unlike me, I don't either!"

"That's rubbish, he's not rubbish, look how far we've come under him, we've signed some good young players."

"No we haven't, look at the players we almost signed but didn't, they're in their early thirties FFS! If he'd signed those then he really would've been rubbish. But he didn't. But he's still rubbish!"

"No he isn't!"

"Yes he is!"

There's some good sound arguements in there Bryan, I'm a bit perplexed as to why we need X, Y and Z though. Clearly you're not a proper fan etc as your views are slightly different to mine!

Isn't this close season slightly better than last though? Last summer I seem to remember 28 weeks of waiting for Duff to be sold.

Perhaps we need to take five minutes, have a look at ourselves, take a deep breath, count to ten, look ourselves in the mirror, stand up and be counted and then continue to slag each other off until August 14?

We can then lay into Emerton / Souness / Amoruso / whoever anyone feels the need to, again.

Probably don't need Z, you're right. These eastern Europeans are not all they're cracked up to be.

Looking at the "upside"we now have a very impressive range of potential scapegoats.

I've looked at myself very hard in the mirror, liked what I've seen, thought hard about holiday destinations, and what I should do about that hair growing out of my ear.

And I firmly believe Dickov is to blame. For what I don't know.But there's something going on which I don't like. Perhaps it's other people having more sex than me. Maybe not. But perhaps it is.

Whatever it is, once we found out what it is, I firmly believe that once we've found out who's to blame for whatever it is, that man to blame will be Dickov.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.