BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Going To Be A Long Cold Season

interesting that some web sites are reportiing that Tugay wants two more years on his contract currently being haggled, from memory he's about 33 now, so look forward to seeing him run rings round scott parker, frank lampard et al when he's 35 ohmy.gif

Nah , I reckon Chelsea'll still be in the prem then Toog's is 35... unsure.gif

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ptholt you know nothing about football!

Anyway if you are on holiday why dont you go and see some of the place, get some cultural things done instead of acting like a typical english yob/fan(if you can call the ones that drink all day that) then enjoy the footbal on the day but without making our country look even worse. ok?

I wondered how long it'd take the gloom monster to arrive.

Here you go your vulgurness. Your throne awaits  tongue.gif

er...is that directed at me?

laugh.giflaugh.gif

Who else could it be directed at. tongue.gif

I didn't really understand why my opinions resulted in me being called "your vulgurness". I guess it's a Midlands thing.

As for being a gloom monster - well, maybe at the moment I am. However, there are some people on this board who are just living in denial and seem to have forgotten just how bad we were last season already. And why people treat a negative opinion about Souness or the club as some sort of personal attack I'll never know.

Anyway if you are on holiday why dont you go and see some of the place, get some cultural things done instead of acting like a typical english yob/fan(if you can call the ones that drink all day that) then enjoy the footbal on the day but without making our country look even worse. ok?

soueyisgod what on earth are you talking about?

If you had bothered to either learn to read you would have seen that i live in Portugal im not on holiday, as for my drinking habits what on earth has that got to do with you??!!!!

As it goes im T-total only having a glass of wine on my birthday or at xmas, but was merely using my comments to diffuse any ill feeling before some mindless fool with the iq of an amoeba got the wrong idea, but still your here now, and yes you have the wrong idea, well done.

I don't like being called a yob by someone who does not know me, never met me and based on there childish message isnt likely to unless i happen to return to a youth club somewhere on juice bar disco night.

So in your opinion acting like a typical yob is where people talk about older players, younger players and player performances...... strange I don't recall reading to much about that sort of behaviour on the news when there wrecking bars etc, are you sure you understand what a yob is, i recommend having a look at http://dictionary.reference.com/ for the word yob, then await your explanation as to how you think i am one.

Granted i mentioned the word beer, drink and port though i didnt realise anyone who touched either of these instantly becomes a yob.. crumbs thats all of the ex-pat community in Portugal if thats the case, funny how i haven't heard about all these yobs on the tv/paper/net etc.

May i suggest you engage your brain before motoring your mouth off before you post next time.

laugh.gif

what he means SIG is that ptholt is actually a minor who is allowed a wine with his egg and soldiers !

POD and PtHlt are both talking a lot of well?.........utter utter tripe !

Rovers are working within the means that they have, the club is standing on its feet, the club is being run in an almost professional manner (except merchandising and shirts etc).

We dont have multi millions anymore

We dont have a massive fan base as its numpties like pod and pthlt that put people off Oh yes I almost forgot about Jim and rover6 !! rolleyes.gif

we had a bad season by our recent standards, but now having survived comfortably the treat of relegation some members seem fit to pour gloom upon our club. Why ?

Its a good 7 weeks or more before we being playing. the Euro Championships should be the focus of your life - if you love football that is !

Leave the gloom and think about that a few years ago Rovers were really in deep sh!t, they are not now and are on a firm footing with a very decent squad of players.

we may not challenge for the League title but we are certainly one of the better teams in the mid league of teams.

Get over it, sack the gloom, have a tinny as we watch the Frogs get battered, relax and enjoy the sunshine. You know the pre season will soon be upon us its then that we can start to look forward to the new season.

Scotty my lad, fancy discussing matters on the way to pompy and southampton again next season ? tinykit.gif

soueyisgod what on earth are you talking about?

If you had bothered to either learn to read you would have seen that i live in Portugal im not on holiday, as for my drinking habits what on earth has that got to do with you??!!!!

As it goes im T-total only having a glass of wine on my birthday or at xmas, but was merely using my comments to diffuse any ill feeling before some mindless fool with the iq of an amoeba got the wrong idea, but still your here now, and yes you have the wrong idea, well done.

I don't like being called a yob by someone who does not know me, never met me and based on there childish message isnt likely to unless i happen to return to a youth club somewhere on juice bar disco night.

So in your opinion acting like a typical yob is where people talk about older players, younger players and player performances...... strange I don't recall reading to much about that sort of behaviour on the news when there wrecking bars etc, are you sure you understand what a yob is, i recommend having a look at http://dictionary.reference.com/ for the word yob, then await your explanation as to how you think i am one.

Granted i mentioned the word beer, drink and port though i didnt realise anyone who touched either of these instantly becomes a yob.. crumbs thats all of the ex-pat community in Portugal if thats the case, funny how i haven't heard about all these yobs on the tv/paper/net etc.

May i suggest you engage your brain before motoring your mouth off before you post next time.

hey just cos you cant drink all day dont call anyone who can OK! mad.gif

Pt, I do envy your life in Portugal. I also have lived abroad and it is quite easy to forget the daily grind of life in England. There has been a marked change in football since perhaps you last lived here, Finance is tight at the club and JW is doing his best along with the manager in keeping us first and foremost a premiership club.

Bolton and Allardyce got a lot of praise last season for really achieving very little when you examine the facts apart from keeping Bolton in the Prem.

You are criticising the club for the same policy. If you watched the team from the algarve last season on Sky then that accounted for only 10% of games. ITV highlights are misleading.

Any club needs a balance of youth and experience and I think Souey has got it just right.Fitness and diet are so much more advanced these days that players are playing on to a greater age than was the case in the 70`s and 80`s so I dont really think that 31 or 32 for a player makes him apply for a ""zimmer frame" as you said.

Souness knows the players he would like to have but probably has to settle for good expeienced pros who could bring him 6th place or a trophy. I think the club is well run and I believe they are aware of our great history as a football team- a town team - who took on and won the league .That unfortunately will never happen and I believe that you from the comfort of your place in the sun think it can. We all have to be realists which is not the same as being defeatist.

Just because a Rovers fan has negative vibes about how things might turn out next season does not make them stupid or not a proper supporter. The fact that they're worried shows that they're bothered about the club.

As it is I think it's a bit early for all these negative vibes. Let's see who Souness signs before all the gloom. If however the squad has no more changes when the season starts, I'll be very worried as none of the problems in the squad have been addressed. We've a couple of large deficiencies, the lack of a left midfiedler and a lack of quality at the back. (Amoruso IMO is an okay defender, but nothing special. He's no Hendry, Berg or a slightly younger Short.)

Fortunately Souness seems to have recognised these problems. We've been linked with a couple of names for both positions, and given our finacial situation they appear to be very good value for money if they come off. I'd be delighted with either the Russian chap or Pedersen on the wing, and Matteo or Van Buyten are both very good players IMO. For the possible fees that have been mentioned I'm not sure who else is a better option. Like Dickov, this to me would be considered a shrewd use of our funds.

Blackburn Rovers need to be improved upon if we are to avoid another season like the last. The squad does need a few additions, not many but it is crucial those positions are filled. Souness needs to stop falling out with players. We've got to concentrate more at the back, no more silly goals. These improvements would make a substantial difference to the team but fortunately aren't that hard to achieve. The time to see whether they have been achieved will be the first few months of the next season, so let's try to be optimistic for the moment.

ONE OF THESE DAYS YOU MAY POST SOMETHING WITHOUT HAVING A POP AT PEOPLE WHO LIKE A BEER WHEN ON HOLIDAY ......YOU MUST REALLY HAVE A SAD LONELY LIFE IN SPAIN ...BET YOU HAVE LOADS OF MATES CALLED BILLY......WHY DONT YOU GO AND PATRONISE SOMEONE ON THE BARCA OR REAL MEESAGE BOARD.....PRAT mad.gif

Edited by ABBEY

Ptholt, you're more than entitled to your opinion and you make some good points but surely you can understand that people who see Rovers play every week are more than likely able to make better judgement than yourself.

I don't mind constructive criticism but mindless pessimism is getting quite boring on this messageboard now. I thought living in Portugal as you do or Canada as ExiledInToronto does was supposed to make you a more happy and optimistic person? Fair enough if you were living in a dingy terrace in Mill Hill (apologies to those who do) but you dont!

For the Dickov and Souey haters - I ask you this - who would you rather have as your fourth choice striker, Dickov or Yorke? Nuff said. For the experienced player haters, go and work out the average age of the squad an/or count the number of young players Souey has signed or brought into the first team.

Exiled In Toronto, please go and hump a moose. I seem to remember you used to have a one man personal crusade against Matt Jansen saying he wasn't good enough for the Premiership. Funny that seeing has he went on to form an excellent partnership with Cole, scored lots of goals including one in a cup final and ended up in the England squad, until his unfortunate accident. So basically your judgement is poor.

So please, stop pessimising and start optimising, its the way forward!

Pt, I do envy your life in Portugal. I also have lived abroad and it is quite easy to forget the daily grind of life in England. There has been a marked change in football since perhaps you last lived here, Finance is tight at the club and JW is doing his best along with the manager in keeping us first and foremost a premiership club.

Bolton and Allardyce got a lot of praise last season for really achieving very little when you examine the facts apart from keeping Bolton in the Prem.

You are criticising the club for the same policy. If you watched the team from the algarve last season on Sky then that accounted for only 10% of games. ITV highlights are misleading.

Any club needs a balance of youth and experience and I think Souey has got it just right.Fitness and diet are so much more advanced these days that players are playing on to a greater age than was the case in the 70`s and 80`s so I dont really think that 31 or 32 for a player makes him apply for a ""zimmer frame" as you said.

Souness knows the players he would like to have but probably has to settle for good expeienced pros who could bring him 6th place or a trophy. I think the club is well run and I believe they are aware of our great history as a football team- a town team - who took on and won the league .That unfortunately will never happen and I believe that you from the comfort of your place in the sun think it can. We all have to be realists which is not the same as being defeatist.

Great post that beautifully sums up my feelings about the club.

Granted i can only comment on what i see on sky/itv and local tv and what i read in papers (not the best place) or on the net which from our predicament last season wasnt the most pleasant viewing/reading.

I'm all for some experience, every team needs it, id just like to see more youngsters given a chance than oldies, i think that would actually give the club better long term prospects than older players who want fat salaries for what appears little commitment in some cases.

Some good posts on here from both sides of the fence recently from blueblood and tony greenbank, nice to see a debate doesnt have to drop to primary school levels which seems to happen quite frequently, and quite where people get the idea i want us to spend millions i havent a clue?? are you cross reading a post somewhere else? I personally have no great desire to return to paying stupid amounts of money for people like blake, hignett, grabbi, ward etc.

Just out of interest i did a little check on the following site - http://www.footballtransfers.info which has average squad ages and size of first team squad, lets see what that has to say.... (it does include recent arrivals and departures as well, like dickov for example).

Arsenal - 25 years old, 23 first team players

aston villa - 25 years old, 28 first team players

Birmingham - 27 years old, 21 first team players

Blackburn rovers - 27 years old, (lower than i expected tbh) 25 first team players

bolton - 29 years old, 19 first team players

Charlton - 26 years old, 28 first team players

chelsea - 26 years old, 34 first team players

crystal palace - 26 years old, 26 first team players

everton - 27 years old, 33 first team players

fulham - 26 years old, 30 first team players

liverpool - 24 years old, 32 first team players

man city - 26 years old, 27 first team players

manure - 24 years old, 34 first team players

middlesborough - 26 years old, 22 first team players

Newcastle - 25 years old, 26 first team players

Norwich - 26 years old, 21 first team players

Portsmouth - 27 years old, 34 first team players

Southampton - 26 years old, 30 first team players

Spurs - 25 years old, 28 first team players

west brom - 26 years old, 34 first team players

So on that basis we currently have the third oldest squad in the premier league after Bolton with the highest, then brum, then us (taking into account age + team size, those with larger squads being above us as the extra players obviously increases the average age).

I wondered how long it'd take the gloom monster to arrive.

Here you go your vulgurness. Your throne awaits  tongue.gif

er...is that directed at me?

laugh.giflaugh.gif

Who else could it be directed at. tongue.gif

I didn't really understand why my opinions resulted in me being called "your vulgurness". I guess it's a Midlands thing.

As for being a gloom monster - well, maybe at the moment I am. However, there are some people on this board who are just living in denial and seem to have forgotten just how bad we were last season already. And why people treat a negative opinion about Souness or the club as some sort of personal attack I'll never know.

Twas a joke our scotty.

Monsters usually are vulgar, take Gilbert for instance.

Anyway, i don't take your negativity as a personal attack at all.

So on that basis we currently have the third oldest squad in the premier league after Bolton with the highest, then brum, then us (taking into account age + team size, those with larger squads being above us as the extra players obviously increases the average age).

The first part of that may be true but it is statistically irrelevant. Take away MU, Liverpool & Bolton and the rest all have an average age of 25, 26, or 27.

Hardly information to cause a sharp intake of breath.

And why does a larger squad mean a higher average age?If a squad increases by ten eighteen year olds then surely the average age drops?

Or am I missing something?

and the reality of a team signing 10 18yr olds?

That's my point exactly.

You've posted a list of average ages of footballers per team which has little or no meaning.

If it makes any sense or has any bearing on anything then feel free to fire away and make a logical comment.

Going to be a long, cold season? Possibly

I haven't read this thread but have been thinking about a few bits and pieces. ST sales are clearly important at present yet I haven't heard much positive coming out of the club. So, in the hope JW pops on the MB, we need to hear a few things:

1. The root cause of the Souness/player fall outs and has this been addressed?

2. We are going to survive in the PL, it isn't a target. We ARE going to do this. The phrase "40 points" has been banned.

3. Rovers and the management will be going all out to win a cup, no kids, no reserves, no fiddling about against Rochdale or whoever. Draw a small club, put out the first team and paste 'em 6 - 0.

It will be a long, cold season if the ground is half-empty. So come on Souness and Williams let's gee things up a bit.

• Guest unlocked this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.