BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Best Ever Xi

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy, Billy, Billy call yourself a football fan you piece of low life scum get a life and stop interfearing into everyone elses business

That's typical of you. Someone gets a bit annoyed with you, or disagrees with you, and you lurch towards the personal insult. I am a football fan thank you, and I am not 'low life scum' just because I have aired my tiredness of this thread's topic being repeatedly issued. If this thread is specifically your business, then why have you created it for others to comment on ?. By doing so, this thread is in the public domain, and therefore is as much other people's business as yours. I have just come from a 3 hour exam, I'm tired, and the last thing I need is rude behaviour from someone thank you.

Maybe you should learn some manners, then other people may not dislike you so much.

Billy, Billy, Billy call yourself a football fan you piece of low life scum get a life and stop interfearing into everyone elses business

That's typical of you. Someone gets a bit annoyed with you, or disagrees with you, and you lurch towards the personal insult. I am a football fan thank you, and I am not 'low life scum' just because I have aired my tiredness of this thread's topic being repeatedly issued. If this thread is specifically your business, then why have you created it for others to comment on ?. By doing so, this thread is in the public domain, and therefore is as much other people's business as yours. I have just come from a 3 hour exam, I'm tired, and the last thing I need is rude behaviour from someone thank you.

Maybe you should learn some manners, then other people may not dislike you so much.

Yeah! You big poo head!

*Deep breath* Anyway, for what it's worth, which isn't much, here's my best ever team of all time (1981 - Present blink.gif )...

Friedel

Berg, Hendry, Moran, Le Saux

Ripley, Batty, Sherwood, Duff

Shearer, Garner

Subs: Gennoe, Fazackerley, Wilcox, Dunn, Jansen

I've only included the players I've seen play, unfortunately I haven't even seen the likes of Douglas and Clayton on TV - they'd walk into a best ever XI - but how would I know?

We've arguably had better strikers than Garner of course but I don't care. I would also like to play Friedel in a more central position, but he won't budge, he's providing good cover for Henning though.

*Deep breath* Anyway, for what it's worth, which isn't much, here's my best ever team of all time (1981 - Present blink.gif )...

Friedel

Ripley, Batty, Sherwood, Duff

Shearer, Garner

Subs: Gennoe, Fazackerley, Wilcox, Dunn, Jansen

I've only included the players I've seen play, unfortunately I haven't even seen the likes of Douglas and Clayton on TV - they'd walk into a best ever XI - but how would I know?

We've arguably had better strikers than Garner of course but I don't care. I would also like to play Friedel in a more central position, but he won't budge, he's providing good cover for Henning though.

No Newell (argueabley our 2nd most important player in Rovers post-war history) and Sutton?

What about Super Atko the best £45K the club ever spent?

blink.gif

Newell, Sutton, Super Atko.

They're all in the squad believe me. I'd have Newell above Sutton. It's all down to personal preference isn't it?

Not that it matters one bit but Duff, Dunn and Wilcox were all cheaper than Atko.

Flowers

Berg Hendry Henchoz Le Saux

Ripley Sherwood Tugay Duff

Shearer Jansen

Friedel, Kenna, Batty, Wilcox, Cole.

Again, I wasn't even a little sperm worm when Clayton, Douglas etc were playing.

This thread should have been called "Rovers Best Ever XI In The Last 20 Years Apart From Bob Crompton Because He Is The Only Player Outside The Last 20 Years That Lofty Has Ever Heard Of"

We all have our favourite teams and some older posters will remember the late 50's and 60's,(and Jim who remembers as far back as the formation of BRFC all the way back in 1875), but there's so many of us who have no recollection of pre-80's, so is virtually impossible to pick an all time XI.

And Lofty, how you can justify a Rovers side without Garner i'll never know, and apart from Mimms, your bench is pants too!!

Also, you need to chill the hell out before you get yourself banned.

Don't be a moron thumbs-up.gif

I thought this was a topic about discussing the best Rovers Eleven not slagging off everyone else’s views.

Anyway the best Rovers players to fit in a team that I’ve seen in my time supporting Rovers are:

Flowers

Ripley, Atkins, Sherwood, Duff

Shearer, Speedie

tinykit.gif

Great show lofty, you are in my team!

Anyway, I'm going to hijack the thread. Forget about best ever Rovers team, these are the players who gave me the most pleasure- the ones I always really looked forwards to watching play for the Rovers:

Arnold

Hird

Bailey

Keeley

Hendry

Tugay

McKenzie

Duff

Douglas (how I wish I'd seen him in his prime)

Garner

Shearer

Subs

Brotherston

Kendall

Ripley

Jones

Sutton

Great show lofty, you are in my team!

Anyway, I'm going to hijack the thread. Forget about best ever Rovers team, these are the players who gave me the most pleasure- the ones I always really looked forwards to watching play for the Rovers:

Arnold

Hird

Bailey

Keeley

Hendry

Tugay

McKenzie

Duff

Douglas (how I wish I'd seen him in his prime)

Garner

Shearer

Subs

Brotherston

Kendall

Ripley

Jones

Sutton

Much more interesting philipl.

Not the most talented set of players we've ever had, but they were all worth paying to go to watch.

A slight quibble, but I find it incomprehensible that you couldn't find room for Wagstaffe. His 60 yards passes to Hird that had so much backspin they stopped on a sixpence, were for me the highlight of the 70's

I would also suggest MacNamee in place of Keeley - forwards were genuinly scared of him. And Tony Field marginally ahead of Garner.

Exiled, to be honest I was unfortunate in not seeing much of Waggy- quite a few games I went to he was out through injury or suspension and he was not at Ewood that long. That was the reason for unashamedly picking Garner over Tony Field- so many wonderful memories of the great man over the dozen years he was playing for the Rovers.

However, I do remember Waggie's stopping backspun passes. Another amazing passer was Duncan McKenzie- a 60 yard driven diagonal which picked Brotherston with about a yard of space between two Forest players but an angle to run onto in that League Cup Game at Ewood in 1980 is still one of the greatest passes I have ever seen.

As for bringing in Big John McNamee- why not pair him with Killer?

They would have to mark the Ewood goal area with cremation ashes and tombstones if those two had ever played together! What a thought.

Edited by philipl

lofty2k2,

As your PM is full you'll have to have a public warning. Anymore behaviour of this sort will result in you being suspended and your posts subject to admin approval before they appear on the MB. This is the second warning in recent weeks - cut it out or you'll be off the site.

Any problems with this you can PM me

Paul

lofty2k2,

As your PM is full you'll have to have a public warning. Anymore behaviour of this sort will result in you being suspended and your posts subject to admin approval before they appear on the MB. This is the second warning in recent weeks - cut it out or you'll be off the site.

Any problems with this you can PM me

Paul

Truss him up like a chicken ready for the oven,white suspenders and a rubber uniform & drop him off at Abbey's place after a Guiness & Jack Daniels promotion night.

Anyhooow

Brad Mimms

Le Saux Hendry Clayton Gale Kenna

Wilcox Sherwood Tugay Ripley

Garner Shearer Speedie Sutton Douglas

that's a few too many isn't it?

Roger Jones

Keith Newton

Colin Hendry

Mike England

Bill Eckersley

Bryan Douglas

Ron Clayton

Barry Ferguson

Damien Duff

Alan Shearer

Roy Vernon

If only they were all 25 years old now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.