BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] "no Money For New Players" - Souey

Falling attendances and the team's failure to beat Birmingham on the final day of last season - which cost them two places and an extra £1 million in possible transfer revenue - have had an adverse effect on the size of the manager's transfer kitty.

Are you reading this Al ?? Falling attendances = less money to spend on the team. Not come on Fred put your hand in your pocket, but come on Rovers fans we've got the best value season tickets in the Premier League please buy them.

Edited by Tris

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the look of Wilhelmsson in last nights Sweden game. He has pace, a great cross and was willing to take people on to the byline...........but I think he's right footed dry.gif

Yep, he's a good player. He can play on the left and right. Against England a few months back, he played on the left and he terrorised Neville on that flank. Plays for Anderlecht.

So that's Wilhelmsson. Can anybody think of any other players that we can't afford?

What gives people the impression that

a ) the club arranged for the news to come out this week/ at all

b ) they're happy to see it out in the news this week/ at all

c ) the quotes were actually taken this week

Andy Neild could have been sitting on the quotes for ages.

It staggers me that people assume that the LET functions on instructions from the club. Believe me it's not always the case.

Remember that article six weeks or so ago from Alan Nixon in the Independent saying that we had £10m to spend this summer?

I thought back then that it was a load of bull - the sad fact is that we don't have anywhere near that amount to spend.

Any shopping we do this summer will be firmly in the bargain bucket - cheap damaged goods from Woolworths rather than anything classy from the high street stores.

It's disappointing for Rovers fans, but I guess we've just got to do the best we can with the limited resources we've got.

There was one very strange quote from JW last season. Williams reportedly said: "It won't be the end of the world if we are relegated."

Christ, if we've got no money to spend in the Premiership, what the hell would things have been like in Division One?

If we'd been relegated, there would have been more departures than at Gatwick Airport. It would have been the biggest mass culling since the Night of the Long Knives.

But there's no need to worry, because according to Lofty:

I have heard out and about that Fred Walker is going to heavily invest in transfers next season for Rovers.

Alan Nixon's reports should be treated with similar reverence....

I liked the look of Wilhelmsson in last nights Sweden game. He has pace, a great cross and was willing to take people on to the byline...........but I think he's right footed dry.gif

Yep, he's a good player. He can play on the left and right. Against England a few months back, he played on the left and he terrorised Neville on that flank. Plays for Anderlecht.

So that's Wilhelmsson. Can anybody think of any other players that we can't afford?

Who said we should even attempt to buy him sarcastic user posted image

What gives people the impression that

a) the club arranged for the news to come out this week/ at all

cool.gif they're happy to see it out in the news this week/ at all

c) the quotes were actually taken this week

Andy Neild could have been sitting on the quotes for ages.

It staggers me that people assume that the LET functions on instructions from the club. Believe me it's not always the case.

Thats what I was trying to say earlier. I think it's the LET just trying to sell a few more papers on a quiet and depressing "Rovers news" month/week/day.

On reflection you're probably right.

I'm sure John Williams is delighted with it's timing during what is probably the busiest week for season ticket renewals. Let's be honest it couldn't have been timed any worse.

There was one very strange quote from JW last season. Williams reportedly said: "It won't be the end of the world if we are relegated."

Christ, if we've got no money to spend in the Premiership, what the hell would things have been like in Division One?

If we'd been relegated, there would have been more departures than at Gatwick Airport. It would have been the biggest mass culling since the Night of the Long Knives.

See, it's all in the reading. That's the first time I've read that comment from Williams, and immediately I was heartened. I read this to mean that the club has sorted itself out financially so that a relegation isn't going to wipe it out, unlike some of the recently relegated clubs that weren't so prepared.

Look, do a quick analysis of the league over the years, and you will see that apart from a core group of clubs that can be traced back for quite a number of decades, relegation will eventually catch up to the rest. Previously, it wasn't nice, but wasn't *the end of the world*. Now it could be, without careful planning.

I don't care for this ambition. IMO it's an inflated, unrealistic one. Lets see how far we can catch this wave and just *stay* in the PL, without compromising ourselves to catch the next wave, when we fall off this one.

There was always going to come a time when the Jack Walker fund ran out, and the club had to try and stand on its own 2 feet again, and the time is now.

How many times does it need posting before it sticks? dry.gif

There has NEVER been a Jack Walker fund for Blackburn Rovers FC.

There is a trust fund that Mr Walker set up for the running of his companies from which Mr Williams has begged money from. It was NEVER a big pot for Rovers to dip into for transfers/wages etc.

Edited by Blue and White Army

i herd that the chairman has given souey £15 million to spend to try and get back into Europe

Funnily enough , Lofty was saying the same thing a while ago... ohmy.gif

Why do they want to get back into Europe when Souness went out of his way to get us knocked out last time? Plus the money to be made from winning the whole shabang is peanuts compared to Premiership TV spondoolies

Rev

Clearly you are correct - a disaster PR wise - my post weeks ago, replying to your LET letter, highlights the effect of transfer policy over ticket price on season ticket sales.

But all fans on this thread should consider that:

1.The cost of the last result (usually a poor game if safe) should be taken with a pinch of salt - what about the other 15 poor results at Ewood?

2. 1500 ST's @ £400 is only £600K - not much for wages (or fees).

3.A player on £40K per week requires the sale of 4,000 seats for 20 home games @ £25 per seat (if my maths are right).

4.Clearly Prem clubs rely more on Sky TV, sponsorships and other commercial monies (and less on attendances).

We are perhaps not worse off than ever before and perhaps the powers that be do not give the fans as much respect as they might.

Comments?

perhaps the powers that be do not give the fans as much respect as they might.

I can go along with that one.

I remember John Williams saying at a fans forum about how he would love to be in Man Utd's position which would allow him to charge whatever he wanted for a season ticket as there would always be another mug......erm fan to take the place of someone who was priced out.............disgraceful dry.gif

Edited by Blue and White Army

Why do they want to get back into Europe when Souness went out of his way to get us knocked out last time?

Are you alleging that Souness went into a game of football hoping for defeat !?!?!?

If you ever manage to allege it to his face I'd make sure you've got jet-heeled boots on.

The guy detests losing with a passion most people save for detesting traffic wardens and garden pests.

If he puts a team out to play a game, there is one thing you can be sure of, he believes the team he puts out is good enough to win the game.

Why do they want to get back into Europe when Souness went out of his way to get us knocked out last time?

Are you alleging that Souness went into a game of football hoping for defeat !?!?!?

If you ever manage to allege it to his face I'd make sure you've got jet-heeled boots on.

The guy detests losing with a passion most people save for detesting traffic wardens and garden pests.

If he puts a team out to play a game, there is one thing you can be sure of, he believes the team he puts out is good enough to win the game.

Maybe so but he did state that he was worried that the UEFA game would hamper our premiership season................cue a gate of 15,000 people who were inspired by Souness' confidence.

season................cue a gate of 15,000 people who were inspired by Souness' confidence.

couple of thousand more than turned up to the Champs League games then !!

Just shows lack of ambition. Come on Fred Walker lets have some money from the fund. If you can't afford to improve the team I can't afford the season ticket. Simple as that.

OK so I read the article, my blood boiled and I posted in a fit of pique. Of course I'll be sitting in row 27 seat 45 next season as I have for as long as I can remember. However----

I seem to remember that last season £10mill of the Duff money was repaid to the fund. If we had not sold Duffer that would not have been repaid. Now we need a bit of that back again.

A decent left sided midfielder is all we really need and it would make all the difference between a decent season and struggling in the relegation zone again.

Surely at £500K a place this would easily pay for itself. If we go down this time it would take a long time to get back as all our decent players would leave.

Surely this makes sense. It would not take a fortune.

I'd check your facts there Tris

can't be bothered really - and whatever, it doesn't alter the fact that many Rovers fans don't do cup games, unless it's Celtic, or 1/4 finals, semis or finals. What Souness says has fig-all to do with it, it was already the case long before he showed up.

This is excellent news though the timing is admittedly rather odd.

Souness will now have to earn his vast managerial corn by using his exisiting resources better and displaying superior tactical knowhow than he has shown hitherto.

He is a compulsive spender in the transfer market but his record is patchy; perhaps the board have pulled the plug to save Souness from himself.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.