BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] "no Money For New Players" - Souey

I'd check your facts there Tris

can't be bothered really - and whatever, it doesn't alter the fact that many Rovers fans don't do cup games, unless it's Celtic, or 1/4 finals, semis or finals. What Souness says has fig-all to do with it, it was already the case long before he showed up.

Wheter you can be bothered or not when proved wrong is immaterial.

I agreee the fans normally only turn out in force for the big cup matches like Liverpool at home (the famous 'Jimmy Hill vs The Ball Girl' Atkins own goal) but I consider UEFA cup matches to be big games and if Souness virtually says "I can't be arsed with it I'm going to play all the numpties out of the reserves" then people aren't going to part with their hard earned cash are they?

Especially after the fans creamed themselves over finishing 6th and qualifying for europe only for Souness to put the kybosh on it.

PS. I'm not anti-souness in the slightest. I just don't see the point of pushing for a UEFA spot if were not going to take it seriously

Edited by Blue and White Army

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ah well im sure there are some oldies we can sign some more golden oldies for a final premiership payday dry.gif

Have to say personally the academy that had so much money poured in is not exactly producing players capable of holding a regular place in the team, or disappear before then but i suppose that is the nature of the beast for a club that has to stand on its own two feet.

[

Especially after the fans creamed themselves over finishing 6th and qualifying for europe only for Souness to put the kybosh on it.

PS. I'm not anti-souness in the slightest. I just don't see the point of pushing for a UEFA spot if were not going to take it seriously

Correct.

Souness shows no interest in cup matches. Anyone who saw the players going through the motions at St Andrew's last season will know that.

The bottom line for Souness is that his job and overinflated salary depends on survival the Premiership. Anything that may jeopardise that, such as cup ties, are regarded by him as irrelevant.

The way some people are harping on you'd think we'd ASKED the LET to publish this report!!!!

If Souness is asked the question about how much money he's got, do you want him to lie?!? That'd ###### me off a LOT more than him telling the truth.

tinykit.gif

The way some people are harping on you'd think we'd ASKED the LET to publish this report!!!!

If Souness is asked the question about how much money he's got, do you want him to lie?!? That'd ###### me off a LOT more than him telling the truth.

tinykit.gif

He probably has bent the truth and underplayed our transfer options.

[

Correct.

Souness shows no interest in cup matches. Anyone who saw the players going through the motions at St Andrew's last season will know that.

The bottom line for Souness is that his job and overinflated salary depends on survival the Premiership. Anything that may jeopardise that, such as cup ties, are regarded by him as irrelevant.

How do we explain the worthy cup win then and SF at Old trafford?!? rolleyes.gif

The Arsenal side weren't exactly ram packed with first teamers, the Boro game was a drab and rather fortunate affair, and the rest were non-prem opposition.........ditto the other season where the biggest side we played was Wigan before Man U

Even poor sides can sometimes stumble through rounds........lookm at Bolton this season wink.gif

season................cue a gate of 15,000 people who were inspired by Souness' confidence.

couple of thousand more than turned up to the Champs League games then !!

21,000 give or take a few hundred at each of the Champs League games. However 13,000 in 1994 when Trelleborgs FF visited. Good result that night I seem to recall.

Lets face it European Football has never been popular at Ewood.

Who did we play in the CL then? Rosenborg, Panantinakos and Spartak Moskov I seem to recall....

Didnt we play Celtic in the UEFA cup just recently? I'm sure there were more than 13 000 on that one...

Edited by Paul

I understand that people aint showing up to watch us play Rosenborg, Spartak Moscow, Legia Warsaw, Trelleborg, Gençlerbirligi etc...

If we can just get past the first couple of games in the UEFA cup, then I'm sure it would be a sellout against teams like Inter, Marseille, Valencia etc..

Edited by Paul

[

Correct.

How do we explain the worthy cup win then and SF at Old trafford?!?

The Arsenal side weren't exactly ram packed with first teamers, the Boro game was a drab and rather fortunate affair, and the rest were non-prem opposition.........ditto the other season where the biggest side we played was Wigan before Man U

Even poor sides can sometimes stumble through rounds........lookm at Bolton this season odds, Souey really looked like he didn't give a toss at the final whistle too

Anyway, did I mention the tinpot trophy? I was referring to the UEFA Cup.

I was replying to Jim in the first instance.

Hey thats right that tinpot cup that gives you a place in the incredibly important UEFA cup!

Souey's comments are constantly blown out of context on here. He keeps saying the premiership is our number one priority, it has to be! No cup (including the super important UEFA cup) will EVER take priority over the premiership.

Why is Souness complaining? According to him at the start of last season (and beyond) he said we had the best squad of players ever! Since then nobody of any consequence has left whilst Stead, Gray ,Dickov and Encks have been recruited. I agree with an earlier post that Souness is a transfer market junkie and needs to be saved from himself. That said it does not add up that a £1.5m bid is put for a player last week but now it's nothing except free tranfers. Have we taken on a finance director from Leeds or is Souness just exaggerating? Some clarification from John Williams would be nice.

He said that, but he didn't think that a leftwinger was that important - now we've lost Todd (probably soon anyway) and need a replacement for him. Yorke leaves, I'm sure, Dickov replaces him. So really, the leftwinger is all that is left - and therefore Souey has the "right" to complain IMO.

Can't understand why we could offer 1,5 millions for Gamst though, if we were THAT broke. Let's hope we can get De Pedro or something, and that Williams can land Matteo for us..

The club have no money for transfers? I think that's very possibly true and if we haven't we'd better get used to it, quick.

1. Rovers, until very recently, were £15-20m in debt to the bank. Costing around 750K in interest payments alone PER ANNUM - that comes straight out of the operating profit, and operating profit plus cash flow are crucial to Rovers. Hence the need to use the Duff money to pay off the loans, or part of them.

2. I posted in January ST sales would fall by 5,000 - that's £2m in pre-season income. What will be the overall effect on income and cash flow?

3. The Birmingham draw cost the club £1m

4. We probably have to pay Yorke 500K to £1m to go

5. We don't have a Duff or Dunn to sell

6. There never has been, is not and never will be a big pot of Uncle Jack's money for the club to dip into. Jack was simply to clever to permit that. He knew the club must wash its own face and that is what our board are striving to do. Bad timing but I support the no spending policy if it's necessary to survive.

Without getting into a Souness debate, he cost the club £7.5m with Grabbi. You can bet we are still suffering financially from that saga. I'd say Feguson will be the last big transfer (not signing) this club makes in a long time. The board are still waiting to see the fruits of Amoruso, Reid, Emerton, Ferguson, Enckleman, Stead, Gray, Dickov before sanctioning more outlay

My guess is simply this. The board are concerned about ST sales, they see a trend and have taken immediate steps to ensure the club's financial security by stopping capital outlay. Souness is irritated and gets quoted by the LET at the first opportunity. On the plus side if a real bargain can be found I am sure the signing will be made.

Club Priorities may be:

1. Financial security

2. PL survival

3. Win a cup - please smile.gif

Where's the money from sponsors, season tickets, TV etc????

Let Todd leave on for the supposed £250.000 and get Matteo in so

we can plan our new season. Get rid of Donkey Yorke and Buy Morten Gamst Pedersen.

Then we'll be fine

Our team

Friedel

Neill, Matteo, Amoruso, Gray/Gresko

Emerton, Ferguson, Pedersen

Thompson

Stead Cole/Dickov/Gally

We still then have: Short, Flitcroft, Tugay, Johansson, Douglas, Jansen, Danns, Fitzgerald, Enckelman, Reid and McEvely

Quite good team

And while were at it lets cure world hunger, bring harmony and love for all mankind to the middle east and build the first warp capable spacecraft...........it's so simple dry.gif

Edited by Paul

If we are in this much financial trouble, then obviously I don't think that Rovers should blow a couple a million on a left winger. However IF this story is true then Souey has had a monumental howler! If he knew our financial predicament and didn't bring in a left winger, then he's in the @#/?. Last season it was blatantly obvious that a left winger was the main thing that we needed. So if he's spent every single penny of our money on other positions for the past year after duff has gone, then that is unforgiveable. If we don't have a natural left winger this season, then were probably doomed. He'll probably try getting out of it by playing Douglas there, or even Thommo again. Or maybe grovel to Julian Gray on a freebie. Please say this let article isn't true!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.