BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] De Pedro Signs

For me one of the most impressive things about recent arrivals at Rovers is the way Williams and Souness seem to be able to persuade players to choose us above anyone else who's interested.  With the exception of McBride, who appears to have been swayed by non-football motives (London).

Emerton was phoned on his mobile during his negotiations with Williams by Bobby Robson but still came to Rovers.  Ferguson was chased by Everton and at least one other.  Dickov had them queuing round the block because of the low fee.  And now De Pedro had options in Spain and alternatives in England but he's been bagged as well.  There may be other examples.

I'm also impressed that they did not go over their valuation of Pedersen.  This is our offer, take it or leave it.  Bye bye.

i wonder how pederson feels now. I bet he'll be gutted he has to stay in norway as he prob thought that rovers would go back in for him.

or maybe he's just not very ambitious and would rather have stayed in norway as he said.

also a new article here with some quotes from JW BBC

Edited by greggyk

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good news - my only worry is that Ceefax is quoting Souness as saying that he did not sign a new contract with Real Sociedad as he fell out with them; let's hope the same does not happen again for either player or club.

I believe he's a great signing, and I think we have reason to be optimistic about him. The fact that he has passed thirty doesn't bother me at all. As stated earlier in this thread many wingers has been good at the age of 30+.

When did he play his last match for spain by the way?

for all you Souness doubters/haters, you cant deny when it comes to persuading players, attracting them to the club- that he pretty much gets his man.

Of course anyone who takes a look around our facilities will realise they are class but the manager is a major pulling factor for us.

Vyeo, Butt is not coming to Ewood so you can take him outa your team. We don't need him we have plenty of other quality players and he is a waste at £7m

4eva, fully agree with ur point. he's a waste at 7m. but, if it was nearer 2-3m (possibly what's left of our entire kitty, if there is at one in the first place) it would represent a pretty good bit of business for us. that said, i do agree that we have adequate cover in midfield.

priority now has to be a defender. cheers!

Im chuffed as nuts

However before we all get to excited ( a bit late for le Chuck I know) it might take a while for him to settle in to the squad.

However we'd better start thinking up a decent song for him

Have only seen the odd game with him, but he's looked good. I've also seen highlights (Yea I know, doesn't say much) but he looked really, really good there. And the fact that he was a regular in the WC two years ago, as well as playing a big part in a team that only lost out to Real on the last day of the season should speak for itself.

And apparently he's an excellent set-piece taker too, would be nice to have a left foot for those situations as well. He's no Duff who beats 2-3 men before sending in a pass for the strikers, but his crossing is better and he'll provide much creativity anyway.

Good signing IMO.

I couldn't possibly comment because I've barely seen him play.

I'm just pleased to have a left winger though, one with a god track record makes it that bit sweeter.

Will be interesting to see what happens to MGP now.

I wonder what Revidge will think? unsure.gif

However we'd better start thinking up a decent song for him

De Pedro OOOoooooooooooooOOOOOOOooooooooo

De Pedro OOOooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo

He comes from sunny Spain

More tricks than David Blaine

De Pedro OOOOOOooooooooooooOOOOOOOOooooooooooo

Tune the tune of that irritating Paddy Vieira song Arsenal sing.

Actually no that's @#/? mad.gif

According to this at Uefa.com , De Pedro has "educated left foot" so maybe when it's not needed on the pitch it'll be able to give some Spanish lessons to Lee. Paul Dickov maybe should attend as well, just in case he gets thrown in a Spanish jail again for something he didn't do.

Hopefully De Pedro will be able to settle in sunny Lancashire. If he misses the sea of San Sebastian (home of Real Sociedad) we can always give him a game in the reserves at Morecambe. Morecame...it'll be just like being back in Spain for him.

Spanish? Well, when we went to Spain we managed quite well with "Ola", "Gratius", Sangria and a bit of arm waving. I'm sure Souey can manage more than that!

Great signing. Things are beginning to look encouraging. rover.gif

Hey Lee,

If you need a translator, just use this one

Translator

I know it's not 100% on the mark, but it gives you the idea of what is said.

But you probably already know about this one anyhow..

Back on topic,

De Pedro eh? I wonder who now gets the boot out of the club to pay for this lad?

Note to Steady & Coley:

repeat after me: Pedro... aqui! aqui ! - pase la pelota !!!

or Centro Centro !!

When's the season start ?? I'm ready to start celebrating Rover goals!

BTW: Flopsy, exactly what is 'chuffed as nuts"?

Edited by blue/white

Hey Lee,

If you need a translator, just use this one

Translator

I know it's not 100% on the mark, but it gives you the idea of what is said.

But you probably already know about this one anyhow..

Back on topic,

De Pedro eh? I wonder who now gets the boot out of the club to pay for this lad?

Just veering off topic again Whereabouts in Canada you from? cool.gif

Just veering off topic again Whereabouts in Canada you from?  cool.gif

A little town north of Toronto..

I am not an ex-pat. Just a fan who needed a squad to pull for and I liked Blackburn back when the Premier League was founded and they finally gave us European footy on the TV here biggrin.gif

Edited by BMan

Just veering off topic again Whereabouts in Canada you from?  cool.gif

A little town north of Toronto..

I am not an ex-pat. Just a fan who needed a squad to pull for and I liked Blackburn back when the Premier League was founded and they finally gave us European footy on the TV here biggrin.gif

Ahhhhh Toronto, lovely place. I once fell down the stairs on a plane there en-route to Vancouver.

Not quite up there with Hudsons Bay in Vancouver but nice all the same. If we could re-locate Ewood in Canada I'd move there tomorrow sad.gif

Well...

...you've read me like a book - I'm not happy. wink.gif

Now that the guy's signed, I hope he does well for us. But I have huge reservations about this deal.

a) It's yet another old player. What happens in a couple of years when he's past it (if he's not already)? We have to go and find someone else - we are just delaying the problem of finding a decent left midfielder - not solving it.

and b. He's skilful but very slow. Being a slow player and playing successully on the wing in the Premiership don't often go together - e.g Viana. (Beckham was an exception).

This deal strikes me as a panic buy - as Gresko was. Souness didn't want to give de Pedro a 2 year contract before because he claimed not to know enough about him. And all of a sudden, Pedersen is out of our reach, so we go back to de Pedro.

That's my opinion, i've voiced it and that's what this messageboard is about. Many won't agree and I hope that you're right that de Pedro turns out to be a great signing. I also fear that the money that was going to be spent on MGP may be used to try to lure Butt to Ewood.

Edited by rover6

Great signing - considering the people who were (appparently) interested in him before the beginnng of last season.

While last year I was a bit slack, the year before I was religios with keeping up with the Spannish football, and considering as I hate Madrid in a simular vein as Man Utd, I watched Sociedad closely, and if he can re-produce a quarter of what he did that year, then Rovers will have a great signing - especially as he's free.

Might help sort out the goals against column aswell - a bit more balance to the team may stop CM's needed to wander off as cover, and opening up the middle of the park. Balance, at last.

a) It's yet another old player. What happens in a couple of years when he's past it (if he's not already)? We have to go and find someone else - we are just delaying the problem of finding a decent left midfielder - not solving it..

So what age exactly is acceptable? And how long does someone have to be in place to stop it being just a temporary solution? "We've signed Larry Leftie who is 24 on an 8 year deal, but it's only a temporary solution."

Maybe Rovers should be investing in some Amazon expedition to find a fountain of youth so that we never get a temporary solution ever again?

a) It's yet another old player. What happens in a couple of years when he's past it (if he's not already)? We have to go and find someone else - we are just delaying the problem of finding a decent left midfielder - not solving it.

Fair points mate as usual. But we can't honestly say Pedersen would have answered the problem either. Lets hope (pray) De Pedro becomes a success and in 2 seasons time who knows what sort of left sided options we'll have open to us? We may be in a position to pluck one from our own academy or maybe there'll be a new kid on the block? Keep the faith thumbs-up.gif

Well...

...you've read me like a book - I'm not happy. wink.gif

Now that the guy's signed, I hope he does well for us. But I have huge reservations about this deal.

and b. He's skilful but very slow. Being a slow player and playing successully on the wing in the Premiership don't often go together - e.g Viana. (Beckham was an exception).

This deal strikes me as a panic buy - as Gresko was. Souness didn't want to give de Pedro a 2 year contract before because he claimed not to know enough about him. And all of a sudden, Pedersen is out of our reach, so we go back to de Pedro.

That's my opinion, i've voiced it and that's what this messageboard is about. Many won't agree and I hope that you're right that de Pedro turns out to be a great signing. I also fear that the money that was going to be spent on MGP may be used to try to lure Butt to Ewood.

Skilful but slow ? Doesn't work ?try David Ginola, Chris Waddle and John Barnes was hardly rapid.

As for panic buy like Gresko ???? How can Gresko be a panic buy when it took us about 3 months to make our minds up about signing him ? I just don't understand the comment !

He was probably the least panicky buy we have ever made !

I think de Pedro will prove a quality purchase.

Two decent wingers in the same side for the 1st time since Ripley and Wilcox.

I still hope MGP comes to Ewood, just not this year (or at least untill Tran. Window). If De Pedro can hel rise Blackburn to a 9th-11th place finish, then there will be more money in the kitty to buy MGP as the long term left sided investment - we could even afford him to finish his season in Norway. Cash this year though (what there is of it), chould be concentrated soley on a CB.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.