BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England 3 - 0 Switzerland

While it's hardly conducive to your little witch-hunt ("He believes not in England? Burneth him!") a quick peruse over another thread will underline the fact that my compatriate was simply countering a rather ludicrous and quite naive argument. One which debased every other capable team in the tournament.

But hey, that's just the facts... dry.gif

No witch hunt here incoherent one .... just taking the p!ss out of someone who built such a long fence to perch on it went through ten Euro 2004 countries and missed out England (and Latvia and Bulgaria).

If that person's being proved incorrect country by country and day by day, why shouldn't it be pointed out ?

There look. More facts.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No witch hunt here incoherent one

How ironic.

.... just taking the p!ss out of someone who built such a long fence to perch on it went through ten Euro 2004 countries and missed out England (and Latvia and Bulgaria).

If that person's being proved incorrect country by country and day by day, why shouldn't it be pointed out ?

And look, even more facts.

We are all saturated with the knowledge of England's strengths and weaknesses, so why would an explanation in comparison to the other countries be necessary? The old argument of "well if they were better than England, then they would have qualified" could be used. We have though seen numerous examples in past tournaments where the top teams in the world don't go as far as their less fancied sides.

Also, why is the idea of Germany rising to the big occasion such a 'gem'? Did you not see the World Cup where they were nearly as uninspiring?

This is an age old debate though that should perhaps be put to bed. England fans caught up in the hysteria of a tournament are understandably hopeful. Clashes with more lucid neighbours are to be expected.

Edited by Rovermatt

Instead RoyRover proceeded to slate England and state just why we will do nothing.

This was backed up with facts like the gems that the Germans have shown they can rise to the big occasion, and Spain have the best attack.  Now fair play for making bold predictions but when you get left with egg on your face you can hardly blame people for laughing.

When posters come on sneering and making digs then they should expect to be treated like a Burnley fan who would come on here slating Rovers.

First off, I wasn't 'slating' England, I was saying exactly the same thing as alot of other English people said, because after the first two games, England weren't playing the way that their fans hoped they would in order to trouble the favourites. England defended well against France, but didn't have much of an attacking threat. I tell you now, if Ireland play like that against France in qualifing, I'll be more than happy, but not with that result. Can you argue against the idea that England didn't play well against the Swiss, which numerous English supports have also said. In my post I also said that it is the result that matters, hardly 'slating'. These weren't sneering comments, but because they came from someone who didn't support England they were percieved to be so. If under my location, was written London or Southampton, I doubt that the comments would be taken in the same way. As for the predictions, what predicitions? I was pointing out the strengths of the other teams that were just casually dismissed. I never said that they would qualify, even if I believed that the strength that the Italians and Spanish had would lead them through the group stages, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one. Also by saying that I said that Spain had the best attack, when I said that they had some of the best attackers in the world, would indicate that you saw a couple of lines, which wasn't praising England, but looked at some of the strenghts from some of the other countries and took it to be anti-English slagging, where all the other teams were so far ahead of them, that they had no chance. Moreover, with the Germans, we all saw how such an awful side, somehow got through to the World Cup Final, and last night should have qualified, even though they were one of the worst teams in the competition. I for one am glad that they are out and that the Czechs and Dutch are through after showing what they are a capable of. But no mention is made of that, because it isn't as funny and was a decent assessment of the teams.

Edited by RoyRover

thanks Bryan

just making sure some of the english doubters (ie out by the first round whilst the massive footballing countries prevail !) are absolutely in no doubt as to where their respective suggestions in respect of germany,italy and spain are in this competition laugh.giflaugh.gif

OUT OUT OUT OUT OUT OUT and OUT OUT OUT smile.gif

germany ? italy and spain ? where are you ?

oh yes just a reminder

they are all OUT

so much for Quality Teams blink.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifohmy.gif

What are you talking about? I came out and explained the meaning behind my post even though I didn't need to, to try and defuse some tension and you post some smart ass comments about how these teams, that we all know are out, are out, out, out, just so we are not in any doubt. On the rare occasion that England actually perform in a big tournament, people like yourself try and be as ignorant as possible, to those who echo the thoughts of some of your own countrymen in relation to England's performances. Very big of you.

I'm wondering why I'm finding the other Irish lads comments as hilarious as Tris and co, I hope it's because England actually have a great team for once and not that I'm going to be getting a George's Cross tattoo soon  ohmy.gif

Rich, it's simple. You're a West-Brit. I can almost hear that droning, Clongowes-educated accent? "I f***ing floored it Fintan:11 seconds..." wink.gif

I'm not the one who lives in the United Kingdom.

I didn't go to Clongowes btw, although it is quite near my house, lovely big castle-type structure that it is and all. I went to Terenure College.

I'm wondering why I'm finding the other Irish lads comments as hilarious as Tris and co, I hope it's because England actually have a great team for once and not that I'm going to be getting a George's Cross tattoo soon  ohmy.gif

Rich, it's simple. You're a West-Brit. I can almost hear that droning, Clongowes-educated accent? "I f***ing floored it Fintan:11 seconds..." wink.gif

I'm not the one who lives in the United Kingdom.

I didn't go to Clongowes btw, although it is quite near my house, lovely big castle-type structure that it is and all. I went to Terenure College.

Yes, I do live in the United Kingdom but it could be so much worse: I could live on the 'mainland' huh.gif (whatever that is)

Two of my cousins did go to Clongowes; friggin' awful place from the sound of it. My uncle moved on his own to the US, to pay for them to go there. At least that's what he claims, then you meet his wife...

• Guest unlocked this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.