BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England 4 vs 2 Croatia

lets answer the neville conundrum shall we ?

philippa neville cost England dear in euro 2000, he is a disgrace to the shirt and deprives another player of making it cause he somehow is rfw's little favourite.

garry neville is a plump little monkey who is directly out of the rfw mould ie never ever give an opponent credit even when they turn you over.

tonite England were impressive as well as poor, going forward fantastic, defensively inadequate. Campbell and terry played as far apart as possible and could cut out the threat of the croatian forwards.

beckham still looks a yard short, Gerrard did play well but was clearly tired towards the end, Owen flattered to deceive and as for ROONEY ? well the youngster is a marvel and can only get better and better. English football has a pure jewel, a diamond that we have not had in 30 yrs of football. I just wish we could have 5 more like him.

James is a prat, okay two good saves but calamatous again in the air.

now all those numpers who said England would not make the q'final, well you took one hell of a kicking - you were ALL SO WRONG laugh.gif

Now its the Portuguese on Thursday, cue again v sore head friday !

I dont think that the old and ageing Portuguese can cope with an England team that is gathering momentum at a very quick pace. granted they have quality up front but at the back they are wide open.

I cant wait till Thursday cool.giftongue.gif

ps its a nice thing when 2 Rovers fans get on SKY tinykit.gif

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

England played well tonight, but Rooney is on a different planet. They were helped along by some crazy defending, considering that Tudor plays for Juventus and Kovac plays for Bayern Munich, who'd expect better. The best perfomance from England in some time. The Portugal game is going to be good. Both teams finding some form, Portugal have the home advantage and their own wonderkid in Ronaldo, while England have Rooney.

Edited by RoyRover

gary neville might be a plump moneky but he is a very very good professional for england and the best right full back we have had since i can remember. his brother, well i would not go as far as saying that he aint fit to wear the shirt, but i do say taht there is better players in the premier league that could do the same job as he. players that are far more disciplined, better ball skills and also a lot better defensively.

the centre halves...hmmmmm. well either way they can't win because the croats came at us from wide all the time, prso and his striker partner peeled off wide time and time again...so if the two lads get drawn out of position the get slated bigstyle, where it is the job of each fullback to follow the strikers out wide and let jt and sol patrol the centre of the defense as they did. they could not get through the middle of our defence if we had still been playing tomorrow morning. both goals came from out wide, albeit from free kicks. dfensively the croats did not have a clue of how to break us down.

I dont think that the old and ageing Portuguese can cope with an England team that is gathering momentum at a very quick pace. granted they have quality up front but at the back they are wide open.

They coped with Spain pretty well. And the only ageing player in the team is Figo, who is still brilliant. Since they have drafted in Carvalho, their defence has tightened up, with both centre backs being one of the few pairings who could handle the pace and movement of Rooney and Owen.

Also, thought Beckham had another average game.

I'm not convinced he is fully fit.

Either that or he doesnt like not being the main man anymore. He did get a fair bit of treatment from the croats tonight, but (like scholes), he showed that tackling isnt his strong point, giving away a couple of free kicks in dangerous areas.

Which is why Gerrard is so important to England, he needs to provide that bite in Midfield to allow the others to play.

I'm not convinced he is fully fit.

Either that or he doesnt like not being the main man anymore. He did get a fair bit of treatment from the croats tonight, but (like scholes), he showed that tackling isnt his strong point, giving away a couple of free kicks in dangerous areas.

Which is why Gerrard is so important to England, he needs to provide that bite in Midfield to allow the others to play.

very true steb. it is like any team in that one of the midfielders has got to be right on with the tackling nad toughness which allows the others to do what they do best.

BTW.....just noticed your signature biggrin.gif

I've just come back from the pub in Taipei, after watching this game. I've nothing against Gerard, but I don't see how his performance anything especially good. Granted, he ran with the ball a lot, but he didn't exactly hold onto it, or give good passes. He was average for mine.

I also lamented the self-imposed brick-wall Cole gave himself. He's a good player, and shouldn't be afraid to take it to that corner section of the field, whip in a cross.

England won well though, so I suppose that point is a little empty. Forgive me if there are any mistakes, I am not altogether sober atm.

Agree with SteB, Gerrard is the main man in this England team. An absolute monster of a player. Pity Houllier always used him in a negative manner. Allow the guy a free rein, there's no one better. cool.gif

Thought we played pretty well tonight, and this time the score didn't flatter us at all. For all the stick he gets, Gary Neville has done his job efficiently in every match so far. If anything it is at left back where we have been most suspect - Ashley Cole is great going forwards but by no means the finished article defensively, as his part in Croatia's first goal showed. Gerrard and Lampard worked hard in midfield, Scholes rediscovered his confidence (and more importantly his scoring touch) and Beckham spent most of the match being kicked by a Croatian team who would have been better served concentrating on Rooney. The scouse boy / monster was outstanding once again, he seems to get better with every game. Owen, despite not scoring, was influential in creating at least two of the goals and with a bit of luck might have got on the scoresheet himself. All things considered a good performance; if we could only sort out our defending from dead ball situations who knows how far we could go?

Top team scorers in the tournament - top individual scorer in the tournament. The boy Rooney done good.

For those who said we had no chance of qualifying (you know who you are Philipl et al) stick that up your arse.

Roll on Portugal now.

Personally I was very impressed by the standard of passing and the patient nature of the England in general. It is beginning to show that we can compete on an international level in terms of technique, vision and skill. That allied with our more recognised talents of fight, power and pace and we have ot be one of the favourites now.

While contraversial I would say the our main 'world class' players are Campbell, G Neville, A Cole, Gerrard, Rooney and possibly Lampard Hasnt played enough, but is showing real promise). I have never felt comfortable with Owen up front- great finisher, good movement but limited when on the ball out of the box. Still made a great pass for Rooney's third though, but perhaps the exception rather than the rule.

Beckham is great at passing and the dead ball but in open play he must be ultra fit or he is buggered. He lacks the pace or the skill to beat players so he must have the energy to find space before he recieves the ball. That is still lacking. Obviously in the lack of decent competition he deserves a place (as well as being the captain!) but you have to say if we had a player who can beat a full back, even with a lesser quality of passing, he would give our Dave a run for his money.

Gerrard is awesome. Fair enough he was not outstanding to day, but he can do everything. He will be twice the player Beckham wil ever be. Rooney already is! Neville was excellent and shows that dependability is under rated- I hate his little rat face but sheer class defensively and had the engine to get up and down consistently. Any side in europe would put him in their team. A cole is a bit more of a risk, but I would say he is just the converse of G Neville- outstanding going forward, average defensively. Again, most national teams would have him in their side.

I hope we play like that again, we can be an attractive team to watch! Just imagine if we had a left winger........

Edited by joey_big_nose

also, did anyone here the racist croatian fans!! Effin disgrace.

They also 'booed' God save the Queen, so they got what they deserved by 40,000 england fans signing and booing over their anthem.

Im sure, just like in the swiss game, england would have respected their anthem if they had not booed ours!

I bet croatia dont have anything done to them by uefa but if it was england in the wrong...................well!

now all those numpers who said England would not make the q'final, well you took one hell of a kicking - you were ALL SO WRONG laugh.gif

Mmmmm, humble pie,

Can I have some more gravy please.

Sorry to tell you but we don't have such a old squad.

Last starting 11:

Ricardo - 28

Miguel - 24

Ricardo Carvalho - 26

Jorge Andrade - 26

Nuno Valente - 29

Costinha - 29

Maniche - 26

Deco - 26

Luis Figo - 31

Cristiano Ronaldo- 19

Pauleta - 31

They are all experienced.

Portugal are a better team than people have given them credit for; the first game against Greece was an abberation and since Scolari started putting his faith in youth over experience with Ronaldo and Deco they have been clicking up through the gears quite nicely. Like England they are generally much better in attack than defence, which should make for an exciting quarter final on Thursday. Of all the teams in Euro 2004 I would say that the Portuguese are closest to England in terms of overall team ability. Much will depend on Lampard and Gerrard's ability to combat the extra opponent in midfield, and whether or not we can prevent Figo from pulling the strings. I would wish you good luck Oklahoma and Velvet, but you know I'd be lying... wink.gif

Portugal are a better team than people have given them credit for; the first game against Greece was an abberation and since Scolari started putting his faith in youth over experience with Ronaldo and Deco they have been clicking up through the gears quite nicely. Like England they are generally much better in attack than defence, which should make for an exciting quarter final on Thursday. Of all the teams in Euro 2004 I would say that the Portuguese are closest to England in terms of overall team ability. Much will depend on Lampard and Gerrard's ability to combat the extra opponent in midfield, and whether or not we can prevent Figo from pulling the strings.

Actually I think our defence is getting better.

In the attack, we lack solutions to the opportunities we create.

Pauleta can't play so Nuno Gomes will be in the starting line up.

As an englishman living in Portugal i just wish that this game had been the final.

Portugal's close ball skills and passing is generally better than Englands, but thankfully as i've mentioned before they don't have an owen/shearer/cole type guy who stays up front and who's job it is, is just to get the ball in the net anyway possible, something which we have with abundance with rooney/vassell/owen (not saying anything about heskey).

Portugal seem to look for 'wonder' goals a great deal, due to the lack of a striker and if they play with only 1 up front like they have so far in the tournament we shouldnt have to many problems.

But we need to get in amongst them and not let them settle into a nice passing game, we need to rattle them and do so quickly.

My fear for England is just how easily we get opened up, look at last night at times our defending was very poor, if Portugal play with 2 up front it will be hard game, but then they didnt need to play 2 up front to draw with us a few months ago.......

Excellent win - but allow me to help Sven by pointing out some minor fine tuning requisite for us to beat Portugal.

Give Beckham a kick up the backside. The guy is playing like a second full back (and not a very good one). I don't know what's wrong with him, perhaps he is tired, but he refuses to actually get forward into space on the right. England need him to provide width and swing in crosses. Against Croatia - one cross from open play - NOT GOOD ENOUGH. He may not have skill, pace or great dribbling capability - but he can cross a ball. He needs to utilise that attribute or get dropped.

Drop Scholes for Bridge. Bit more controversial, especially as Scholes scored and played reasonably well from the left. But noticeably, in the second half, Ivica Mornar played down the right and gave Ashley Cole merry hell, providing numerous decent crosses. Where was Scholes? Galloping off into the centre as is his want being a natural centre midfielder.

Bridge will have the positional discipline to stay on the left and help out Cole.

This will be even more crucial if Cristiano Ronaldo plays on the right for Portugal.

Just to add - I bet Sven is cursing his decision not to take Alan Smith. England desperately need a forward who can actually win a header (I don't think Owen has won a single aerial duel). With him being reluctant to use Heskey, who can we turn to?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.