BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] More Passion For England Than Brfc

Don't know if anyone else agrees but one thing I've noticed during the recent run of England Euro games is the level and intensity of support for England compared to Rovers.

At the Pub where I've watched it, it's been packed to the rafters. Lots of people ( loads of young ladies in particular) who you thought had no interest whatsoever in footie wearing England shirts. People going mental at every minor decision.

I'm completely different, stood there thinking "Calm down it's only England"

Conversely on the occasions I watch an away Rovers game on Sky, I'm the only one doing my nut and the place is invariably half empty.

How can we tap into this unprecedented surge of "footyitis" for Rovers benefit?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The importance of an England performance in a competition held every 4 years compared to the importance of a Rovers game held 38 times a season?

Hard one that, I must say.

I don't know i get myself worked up to the same intensity for every rovers and england game.... except when sven does his 11man sub thing in friendlies! It just comes naturally a born competitor!

Not knocking enthusiasm for the England football team but why are people who show no apparent interest in domestic football and more particularly in brfc so lathered up about england?

And how can that interest be tapped? I'm sure they're not all closet ManUre fans?

had no interest whatsoever in footie

this is the key phrase. it's cool to like football every 2 years, and also to wave flags and shout en-ger-land a lot. remember also that it's patriotic and to go to the pub and cheer on our boys - this is a good way of showing how much you love your country, other good ways to show this love include breaking glasses and bottles, dropping litter, and small acts of vandalism whilst making your way home after a disappointing result.

Edited by vindaloobob

Not knocking enthusiasm for the England football team but why are people who show no apparent interest in domestic football and more particularly in brfc so lathered up about england?

And how can that interest be tapped? I'm sure they're not all closet ManUre fans?

I absolutely agree, except mine is the reverse, how can people who care about domestic football not care about international football?

The only recent Rovers game comparable to tonight is the Worthington Cup final.

Rev, I think it's because you're in the "wrong place." It's much cooler and less "risky" to support a team with Beckham, Owen, Rooney, Lampard etc than support a team with Cole, Friedel, Tugay and Neill.

Also recent surveys have shown that alot of female (and none footie fans) feel the need to watch these matches in order not to feel left out the next day at work.

And when it's going well, as it's been the past few weeks, it's much more fun to be there and get into it, whereas watching Rovers play Everton on the tv, somehow isn't that interesting for a non footie fan.

Edited by 78

I agree with the comments that the big tournaments at national level once every two years are very special.

The great shame about last night's exit is that it has come at least one game too early to become a big enough football mania to drive the non-committed to feel sufficiently committed to buy Rovers Season tickets.

I don't think that the difference in passion for clubs and the national team isn't just a football thing or even an English thing. Here in Australia no one gives a damn about club Rugby Union, but the moment the Wallabies are playing pubs in Sydney and Brisbane are filled with Union fans, cheering on the Wallabies.

The great shame about last night's exit is that it has come at least one game too early to become a big enough football mania to drive the non-committed to feel sufficiently committed to buy Rovers Season tickets.

If there was Rovers' players in the squad I would agree to an extent, but even then I can't see that England making the final would change some peoples minds about buying season tickets.

For the life of me I cant get the same passion behind supporting England like I can for Blackburn. Thats not to say that I dont want England to win because I do but something deep down must shout to me "Oi you were slagging that Rooney lad off last week so your not cheering for him this week"

As I said to the Mrs last night "dont worry, England have lost tonight but this only means that Rovers will win the Prem next season" tongue.gif

I would call myself a bigger England fan than rovers fan. When rovers lose, I can handle it because usually, we have no chance of winning anything and I can see us being mid-table in the premiership for the next so many years.

While with England, i cannot handle defeat. I went to bed around half eleven last night and woke up at about 5 this morning just thinking about last night.

And with England, the country I support the team plays attractive football(Apart from last night) unlike the negative boring football blackburn are currently playing.

The euphoria was no different to that created when England won the world cup at the other ( it's name escapes me, it's played with an oval ball) game . It's fashionable, and like every fashion it only lasts a while and then dies away.

I am in complete agreement with you Rev, whilst I was getting excited last night I would have still taken England to go out and Rovers to get a point at Highbury.

It really genuinely annoys me that people who have no interest whatsoever in club suddenly become the biggest football fans when these major tournaments come around. Although I guess it's the same reason Rovers can take 30,000 to Cardiff and struggle to get 20,000 home supporters every other saturday. People only want to be involved in the big occasions and don't care about much else.

Last night was superb, yes England lost but what a fantastic game. I was truely honoured to watch it. Although had it been Rovers in the quarter finals of something I guess I wouldn't be so enthused.

Although i was full of passion watching the game last night and i was absolutely gutted and annoyed, its not quite the same as rovers. This morning im kinda getting over it and thinking 'ah well world cup qualifiers start in a couple of months'. Whereas if it had been rovers who lost on penaltys and had a perfectly good amoruso goal disallowed then id be raging for at least a week, or until the next game.

Good point Rev; I'm the same.

The media driven hysteria surely must play a part. Too many plastic football followers have jumped on the 'coolness' of joining a popular band wagon. Like some one mentioned " they can join in the conversation at work the next day".

Soon Timbo's exploits at SW19 will be the next label to wear, and pilgrimages to Henman Hill will follow.

I am increasingly reaching the stage where I only acknowledge the opinions and observations of people who push the turnstile on a regular basis.

So to get any real credence push the turnstile thumbs-up.gif

Perhaps there is more passionate support for England because the players look as if they take pride in their shirt and care about playing for their country.

By contrast, remember the number of passionless and uncommitted performances we had to witness by Rovers last season. If the players give the appearance of not caring, neither will the fans.

I am in complete agreement with you Rev, whilst I was getting excited last night I would have still taken England to go out and Rovers to get a point at Highbury.

What?!

Some people are just so odd!

ph34r.gifdry.gifsad.gif

I don't think it's particuarly odd that I care more about Rovers than I do for England.

I spend god knows how much on a season ticket and travel and the rest of it watching Rovers. All I do is watch England from my armchair, so I am not going to pretend to be Englands biggest supporter.

Yes I am English and proud, but it's club over country every time for me. Call me odd, but that's just my opinion.

Apart from last season I would say BRFC in GS reign have played more attractive football than a negative England team. Not only are England over-rated but it surprises me how difficult they find it to keep the ball. A lack of balance has never been fully addressed by Sven and he seems to take the option of 4 central midfielders who get in each others way. No penetration down either flank isn't the way to go and eventually England would come unstuck.

I feel for English fans as it seems the whole nation gets caught up in all the hype that the media gives to the national team.

Rooney has done well, but good defences wont back off him like Croatia. Show me videos of his woeful Everton performances of last season again...

Anyway, this is from a Scot who is looking forward to seeing Ferguson and Fletcher leading us to the World Cup Finals.

England playing in a major tournament helps unite the country. It gets casual observers involved in football.

It's not a disturbing phenomenon at all. I can't believe some of the balls I read on here sometimes.

And once the tournament's over then a lot of people will have no interest in footy until the next one, that's the way it is. Some people think there's shame in being a "plastic" football fan, as if it's some sort of black mark against your family name. Pathetic.

I love England and I love Rovers, last night I was absolutely devastated, I'm afraid much beer was consumed, and I was so overwhelmed by the situation, it all ended up in tears!!

Whenever I go and watch England games at the pub etc, I always have to take my BRFC England flag with me, just to let people know that I'm a rovers fan!

England playing in a major tournament helps unite the country. It gets casual observers involved in football.

It's not a disturbing phenomenon at all. I can't believe some of the balls I read on here sometimes.

And once the tournament's over then a lot of people will have no interest in footy until the next one, that's the way it is. Some people think there's shame in being a "plastic" football fan, as if it's some sort of black mark against your family name. Pathetic.

Spot and couldn't agree more. I don't mind at all if loads of people who usually have no interest can find all get involved. Equally I fully expect them to go back to having no more than a passing interest in football. It;s not a new phenemenon and certainly nothing to worry about.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.