BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Flitcroft

Flitrcroft has been a great player for the club, but 1864, for the past couple seasons he's been past his best and inconsistent. Yes, he still gives his all, but at the end of the day we have better players, he doesn't deserve to be insulted, but at the same time, have to take a look at reality.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

flitty has been a wonderful servant of the club. probably no rovers fan will question his battling qualities and commitment. however, as in life, it is undeniable that we have to move on with the times.

to me, this move is just that, moving on with the times. its a fact that flitty was in and out of the team after fergie was bought, and became a more regular fixture only after the latter's injury. so, in all likelihood, with a fully fit fergie, its only natural that he assumes the captaincy as flitty becomes more of a squad player. besides, with all due respect, when you have scotland's captain playing in your team, who would you choose as captain? him or an uncapped squad player?

thus, appointing fergie outright makes for a more logical and correct situation. look at chelsea, where desailly was officially club captain but terry was wearing the armband most of the time. certainly, it kind of 'diminishes' the value of the captaincy doesnt it?

Yes our gary has been a liability over recent years hasn't he ?

I mean a player of such ilk scores winners against the then champions to win the game, he fights for every ball, he may not be classy but he works damned hard and puts his head in where the boots are.

yes our Gary is a liability tinykit.gifmad.gif

pure @#/? comments again tinykit.gif

8yrs at the club no less, so he has loyalty, let the fans give him a vote of thanks rather than disrespect him.

tinykit.gif

Seconded

Liability my ar*e!

More like an inspiration!!

Yes our gary has been a liability over recent years hasn't he ?

I mean a player of such ilk scores winners against the then champions to win the game, he fights for every ball, he may not be classy but he works damned hard and puts his head in where the boots are.

yes our Gary is a liability tinykit.gifmad.gif

pure @#/? comments again tinykit.gif

8yrs at the club no less, so he has loyalty, let the fans give him a vote of thanks rather than disrespect him.

tinykit.gif

Your comments seem odd to me, basically most people here have agreed with Souness to pass the captain position on to Ferguson, and you are using Flitcroft SCORING in a single game, so what Warhurst, Gallacher, Gilespie, McKinlay have all scored against Man U, i don't get it, winning goal 2 years ago or not its a team performance.

What i have read is most people think Flitcroft has done well for Blackburn but is now not going to be regular so have agreed with Souness. Ferguson has work-rate, ability and experience and is Souness's main man obviously, makes perfect sense. I fully back it.

It makes sense to handover to Fergie while keeping Flitty on.

He can assist / advise Ferguson while still taking an active role on the playing side.

I like the idea of building the side around a fresh nucleus.

To be frank, I don't think Ferguson needs advice on how to be a good captain. In fact, it would be bloody cheeky if Flitty offered to tell a man who has captain Rangers and Scotland how it should be done. Besides, everyone has their own methods.

Seems strange that there are no quotes consoling and thanking Flitty from our manager. Mmm, not another bust up... huh.gif

I think Flitty could be off.

thats a good point, i was disappointed he didn't pay respect to Flitcroft, hopefully edited out by LET. Still really look forward to Ferguson leading out the team

Ferguson is our 'best player' (he hasnt shown it in rovers shirt yet, but frankly he is the name that sticks out in the squad. But then so does Emerton's....) and was always going to inherit the captaincy sooner or later.

Firstly it clears up selection problems, Souness will want to start Tugay from time to time and maybe give Thompson a shot in the middle without worrying whether the captain is in the team.

Secondly if we are signing players they will want to see that they will be able to start. After saving a load of cash on astute buys on free (de Pedro, Dickov, hopefully Matteo) we might have the funds for Butt. He will want to know he will be in the the team regularly before he signs (if we get him...), so having an automatic starter in Ferguson and Flitcroft as captain on our books would not fill him with confidence.

The bottom line is Flitcroft is now deemed a squad player by Souness, not a first choice, and he has been sniffing around midfielders (Izzet for example) for quite a while. Souness, despite accusations of only trying to get 'athletes' in, likes his players to be technically able- especially in the centre of the park. Flitcroft, while he has many talents, is lacking in this area.

well Chris

I never once said it was not a good move nor have a dissed anyones suggestion that ferguson will not make a good captain.

look on the thread regarding fergies comeback and YOU will read that yesterday I suggested it was great for our captain in waiting to be back to full fitness.

using the manure is simply an example. Liabilities do not provide the effort that Flitty has provided during his time at Rovers.

I agree wholeheartedly that a players shelf life comes to its natural end and that a younger player has to make his mark.

the point I was making is that he had to be respected not slated for 8 yrs of graft.

oh by the way almost forgot

FRANCE ARE OUT !! rolleyes.gif

wink.gif

now then eddie

that word INCONSISTENCY

it can be levelled at the squad as a whole apart from the odd player unsure.gif

Of course it can. Ferguson though has shown himself, at least after he settled in, to be a performer and a battler. One who will probably displace Flitcroft in the side next season, so it makes sense to have him become captain. I'm not having a go at Flitty, but being captain does mean that there is extra pressure on him to perform. Just look at the things said about Beckham on this site after last night, it's exactly the same for Flitcroft.

something that hasn't been mentioned is that it give barry an extra incentive to stay at the cluband feel less homesick.

a move forward for the club

Bolton handed the captaincy to Okocha, when they were afraid he was going to leave this season. I think it was the same with Vieira and in both cases the players became more consistent and raised their game the following season.

This captaincy will also show what Ferguson is made of. If he is captain material (which he has shown) then this should raise his game and he would be more influential throughout the match. It'll be interesting to see the differences between Ferguson and Flitcroft as Rovers captain this season.

The bottom line is Flitcroft is now deemed a squad player by Souness, not a first choice, and he has been sniffing around midfielders (Izzet for example) for quite a while. Souness, despite accusations of only trying to get 'athletes' in, likes his players to be technically able- especially in the centre of the park. Flitcroft, while he has many talents, is lacking in this area.

Like I said before Joey it was not Souey's original intention to even have Flitty at the club next season.

I think it's a good move. Ferguson has the potential to be a good captain, and hopefully he won't get injured again next season and lead the team to great things. Flitcroft didn't do a bad job, but as mentioned just wasn't vocal enough at times. The defence seriously needed some organizing, and often it was just left to fall apart. I think Ferguson as captain will bring more strength to the team.

I think it's a good move. Ferguson has the potential to be a good captain, and hopefully he won't get injured again next season and lead the team to great things. Flitcroft didn't do a bad job, but as mentioned just wasn't vocal enough at times. The defence seriously needed some organizing, and often it was just left to fall apart. I think Ferguson as captain will bring more strength to the team.

The change of captaincy of the club I welcome.

Flitty for me overall has been brilliant. He’s been here since 1996 and deserves something from the club. He was one of a few who stuck by the club in those dark days of the First Division.

The change is about right, but it also suggests something of a strange relationship between Flitcroft and Souness. I can’t find a link but I remember somewhere before the Fulham/Leicester period that Flitty said something like, “not many get on with him, but we’ll stay up for the fans.”

As a captain he wasn’t there for me. When we were losing, you need a captain to encourage others, especially the younger ones to rally round. He didn’t do that.

Barry will, I watched a lot of him in his Rangers days. Especially the old firm games he made sure everyone was fired up before and if anyone backed out of a tackle he told them.

He’s a strong, young and mature leader and I’m confident he’ll take us far.

Doesn't seem that long ago Flitcroft was renegotiating his contract and we discussd whether he would be such an automatic choice if he wasnt captain. After the team's inability to get motivated for so many home games through the middle of last season you have to look to the captain as well as the manager & the bench. The reshuffle involving Parkes, and now Ferguson instead of Flitty as captain (a good move, IMO - Fergie is a volatile little so-and-so who probably hates losing as much as Souey does) means that we're approaching games with a completely new set of motivators. Got to be good news.

Another reason to renew that season ticket & get down to Ewood!

After the team's inability to get motivated for so many home games through the middle of last season you have to look to the captain as well as the manager & the bench.

Its nothing to do with motivation - we were just crap!

Doesn't seem that long ago Flitcroft was renegotiating his contract and we discussd whether he would be such an automatic choice if he wasnt captain. After the team's inability to get motivated for so many home games through the middle of last season you have to look to the captain as well as the manager & the bench. The reshuffle involving Parkes, and now Ferguson instead of Flitty as captain (a good move, IMO - Fergie is a volatile little so-and-so who probably hates losing as much as Souey does) means that we're approaching games with a completely new set of motivators. Got to be good news.

Another reason to renew that season ticket & get down to Ewood!

well I think its a good point

After the team's inability to get motivated for so many home games through the middle of last season you have to look to the captain as well as the manager & the bench.

Its nothing to do with motivation - we were just crap!

...........Because much of the time we weren't sufficiently motivated IMO.

Anyway lets not forget that at the beginning of last season Flitty was only offered a one year contract but he dug his heels in and in the end got a two year deal,

Am I alone in thinking he was originally offered a two year deal which he turned down and the club caved in and offered him a four year deal which now has three years left to run?

huh.gif

Am I alone in thinking he was originally offered a two year deal which he turned down and the club caved in and offered him a four year deal which now has three years left to run?

huh.gif

Yep. All on your lonesome there.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.