BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Flitcroft

Anyway lets not forget that at the beginning of last season Flitty was only offered a one year contract but he dug his heels in and in the end got a two year deal,

Am I alone in thinking he was originally offered a two year deal which he turned down and the club caved in and offered him a four year deal which now has three years left to run?

huh.gif

On checking the LET archive I was one year too long and tnr one year too short.

He was originally offered a 12 month extension on top of the 12 months his original contract then had to run.

He declined and was given a three year contract running until 2006.

With the benefit of hindsight not a particularly good deal for the club in light of his performances last season.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rover.gif surely being stripped of the captiancy tells mr flitcroft it is time to move on,but another blunder by souey and robbie williams means he will be leaving with a couple off million quid,well done to the chuckle brothers tinykit.gif

Here we go again. I don't suppose any of you has knowledge of the terms and conditions of Mr Flitcroft's contract. I would expect that there would be cover for eventualities in it - Souey would have known his ultimate plan even then. As it happened, it was surely somewhat fortunate that Flitty was still around given Thompson and Bazza's absence during the season. Otherwise surely Flitty would have already been gone (remember the rumours?).

And at least there could be some bargaining power should another club wish to add Mr Flitcroft to their squad.

Whatever happens Flitty has been a good servant to Rovers over several years.

Edited by roversmum

rover.gif surely being stripped of the captiancy tells mr flitcroft it is time to move on,but another blunder by souey and robbie williams means he will be leaving with a couple off million quid,well done to the chuckle brothers tinykit.gif

Yeah blame Robbie Williams.....

I think bazza as captain is a good thing, Flitty wont be a regular starter next season IMO

Here we go again. I don't suppose any of you has knowledge of the terms and conditions of Mr Flitcroft's contract. I would expect that there would be cover for eventualities in it - Souey would have known his ultimate plan even then. As it happened, it was surely somewhat fortunate that Flitty was still around given Thompson and Bazza's absence during the season. Otherwise surely Flitty would have already been gone (remember the rumours?).

And at least there could be some bargaining power should another club wish to add Mr Flitcroft to their squad.

Well said.

Anyone remember Flitty`s debut? Against Everton where he got sent off in the third minute or something by the idiot Winter.

Roversmum pointed out, Flitty has been a great servant to the club since 1996. We went down to the First Division under Brian Kidd, yet Flitty was one of a few who remained at the club and got us out of the mess that we were in.

However changes are needed and Flitty`s one of them. As harsh as it sounds, football isn’t just about how loyal the players are, it’s nice that there are some, but his wages could be used on another player etc.

Best of luck to Flitty in whatever he does fantastic service he’s done for the club.

I think that we have found the best possible replacement in Ferguson to take the captain’s armband of him.

Good comment

I think Flitty will have until January 2006 before his contract expires. I'd still be nervous about our midfield strength in depth if Flitcroft were to leave now and not be suitably replaced. He'll be an excellent squad member this season and I expect him to play more matches than not.

You know you're going to get 100% from him, so how people can moan about his wages and how long he has to run on his contract is beyond me.

Good decision though. Should be the best out in Fergie.

Well we are going to be in a real mess when he moves back to Rangers then, maybe that nice Mr Flipflop can become the captain all over again, or what about Nicky Reid he always ran around a lot & kicked things...

This may be available somewhere but I'm not sure where to dig up the old info.Here is the question who were the 7 prior captains to Gary Flitcroft?I'd be happy to look it up if directed to a proper site.Cheers

Thats a good question. The obvious one I can think of is Tim Sherwood from when we won the league. Im not sure if there was anyone between him and Flitcroft.

Previous to this wasn't Kevin Moran our captain - or at least he seems to be wearing an armband when we won the full members cup.

This may be available somewhere but I'm not sure where to dig up the old info.Here is the question who were the  7 prior captains to Gary Flitcroft?I'd be happy to look it up if directed to a proper site.Cheers

Thats a good question. The obvious one I can think of is Tim Sherwood from when we won the league. Im not sure if there was anyone between him and Flitcroft.

Previous to this wasn't Kevin Moran our captain - or at least he seems to be wearing an armband when we won the full members cup.

I think Sutton, Wilcox and Carsley were captains between Sherwood and Flitcroft.

I think Glenn Keeley captained the Full Members Cup winning side, and Nicky Reid followed him as captain.

Did Kevin Moran perhaps captain the side that won promotion from the Second Division to the Premier League?

Kevin Moran was the captain in the promotion year (and in the play off final) as well as in the first season back in the top flight, Sherwood(the vice captain) took over the captaincy when Moran's age and injuries caught up with him in the 93/94 season.

So... think it went Keeley (captained the Full Members Cup win and clumsily nearly dropped the cup) - Reid (if Robert remembers right as I can't remember who followed Keeley) - Moran - Sherwood - Carsely (did we really stoop that low?) - Flitcroft - Ferguson.

No idea who was before Killer Keeley...Fazackerley?

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Big Col was captain at times was he not?

Hinge centers them of the Scottish defense, some year makes had seriously thought to abandon professionistico soccer, then has met the connazionale Dalglish that has thrown again it to large to the center of the defense of the Blackburn Rovers the champions of England. Dalglish has left the park bench of the Rovers, but Hendry is remained becoming fundamental also for Hodgson English

Moran - Sherwood - Carsely (did we really stoop that low?) - Flitcroft - Ferguson.

No idea who was before Killer Keeley...Fazackerley?

At least Dailly did not nake Captain that would have been worse then Carsley, WestHam fans poor every game, I hated him, poor West Ham

Actually if I remember correctly Parkes made Carsley captain because he said, Carsley will be here longer then most players, obvoiusly rated him, well Parkes said that's why he's captain, could have been Kidd that first gave it to him.

I'd rather Fergie be made the captain now rather than him having the arm band in every game except the few that Flitty plays. Remember Liverpool having three players going to pick up the UEFA cup first? Farcical.

I feel sympathy for Flitty, who has been a magnificent servant, but no room for sentimentality and all that. sad.gif

Thanks all for your responses.A bit of a trip down memory lane(albeit not the best of memories ...Carsley and Wilcox??)While the remininscing is going on,does anyone remember their being any wailing and gnashing of teeth to have any of said Captains being replaced a la Ferguson over Flitty?

I don't.Cheers

Do you think that Souness might have placated Flitcroft over the decision by saying that he would still be "club captain", whatever that's supposed to be?

It seems to be a title given to lots of ex-captains who have become bit-part players at various clubs.

And would Flitcroft still be given the armband if Ferguson was out injured or suspended?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.