BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Goodbye Internet Explorer

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As another technically NOT gifted person, will this affect my e-mail at all, do I need a new address or what exactly is the magnitude of using this program. Should I remove explorer, what if I don't like it and want to change back is it a big beal. Since I still use a dinosaur what are the minimum requirements.

Guest Kamy100

Nope it won't affect any of your e-mail programmes. You can keep Internet Explorer on your system. I was secptic but once I tried it there has been no going back, in fact I told work IT manager about it and I believe that it is going to be rolled out across all of our work networks very soon.

It means you don't have to have 20 Internet Explorers in your task bar for every page you open. Basically they are all open within the same browser, just on tabs at the top of the page.

Kind of like worksheets in Excel (if you use excel).

I use excel all the time and know about the seperate worksheet tabs, so in principle I know what you mean.

But;

Each time I use the address bar to open a new page, it does just that, changing the page from the one before, not as a new 'tab'.

Confused ohmy.gif

Ctrl and T together opens a new tab, it won't automatically open new tabs for every page you visit (well, it can, but you'd be puddled to turn it on). There are quite a few options to control just how tab browsing works, but the default is pretty good.

A good extention to use for tabbed browsing is 'Tabbrowser Preferences' you can download this from the mozilla page.

It means that it'll open a new tab in Firefox, when in IE it will open a new window. ie when you click an external link in this forum.

Also if you press a link with the middle button on your mouse, or now normally the scroll wheel, that automatically opens a new tab too.

I'm with American on this - get OS X, get Safari and your troubles are over - it's quick, has Google built-in and doesn't introduce the pop-ups and things that IE seems to pride itself on. I will give Firefox a try though as I hear lots of good things about it from different quarters - this MB being the latest.

The one gripe I have with Safari is the fact the google search box built into the toolbar only searches Google.com

Try as I might I can't find a plug-in or setting to change it so it will only search UK sites through google.co.uk which, when I search for a lot of stuff, is what I use.

Apart from that since version 1.2 it's been excellent.

Edited by Hasta

• 1 month later...

Apologies if this has been mentioned before. I have been trying Mozilla for a while now and discovered this tweak by accident.

Firefox seemed to be faster at loading pages than IE anyway, but following those instructions has given me a further, noticeable boost in speed!

Apologies if this has been mentioned before. I have been trying Mozilla for a while now and discovered this tweak by accident.

Firefox seemed to be faster at loading pages than IE anyway, but following those instructions has given me a further, noticeable boost in speed!

320904[/snapback]

Heard about this before but only just tried it now after reading your post. It really works!! Thanks for the tweak! smile.gif

Still dont see the attraction of FF. Always seemed to focus on its gimmick value of add-ons. As I said when this topic started, tabbed browsing is useful, but then I never have more than two-three windows open... and as I have a 1600x1200 res, I always have my startbar at three levels high anyway, so its never clogged, so that never really pulled me either.

Anywhoo... BETA IE7 is coming around soon. Should be interesting.

Oh, and as an IE supporter, I feel I need to add this wink.gif

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/09/fi...x_0day_exploit/

I know its probs been fixed (simular to WindowsUpdate wink.gif ) but nice to know its not infalible.

Edit: IE7 confirmed to have tabs anyway...

Edited by Parasyte

Reasons to run firefox even if you don't like the "gimicks" (although to me calling tabbed browsing, shared favourites and developer tools a gimmick is like calling an inside loo a gimmick).

It's much faster (even without turning pipelining on)

It doesn't run as part of the operating system making it inherently more secure (yes, both browser have and indeed still have security concerns, but FF is a safer design as it runs with user privs not system privs).

From a web developers point of view IE is dreadful, it's implementation of CSS (the mechanism for defining page layout) is dreadfull. What's more it sounds like they haven't fixed it in IE7 ! Microsofts non-standard brokeness is actually holding back web development (here we design things the "right" way and then fiddle with them until IE behaves !).

Another plus point for Firefox...you hardly get any spyware on your computer from browsing. Use Firefox for a week and do a spyware scan, then do the same with IE.

Like Glenn said, that 'gimmicks' comment is nonsense, unless you include performance, security and features as 'gimmicks'.

Performance argument = Rubbish, ever moreso with increasing broadband speeds. Perhaps on non-BB theres minimal difference (although not that I ever noticed).

Security = Yes, FF on its own is far more secure than IE. But then, having the internet without a firewall, etc, would be completely idiotic, FF or not. They more than cover the security holes in IE.

Fearures = By gimmicks I meant the useless downloads that dominate the add-ons, skins and the likes.

But yes, IE is a developers hell.

Anyway, I'm not gonna have this argument again. People will use what they want to use.

Edited by Parasyte

Since changing from IE to the Mozilla then Firefox browsers, faster browsing, virtually no pop ups. Do recommend them.

Plus another bonus, is that you can customise them as well.

• 1 year later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.