BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sky Sports

But I think it comes to a point where the blame has to be also pointed towards the individual and not the big corporation trying to earn a few bucks.

Nothing personal, but you have just hit the nail on the head as to why I am so cheesed off with Sky and The Premiership sponsored by Coca F*****g Cola or whoever is moving these (stop swearing) games around.

I have a life to live and I would like to co-ordinate it with doing my 60 mile round trip to see Rovers. Maybe the 60 mile round trip counts for nothing.

As someone once said, the reason a lot of people go to see football is because a lot of people go to football. What else would attract 20,000 people once a fortnight to an event in Blackburn/Norwich/Derby.

Big businesses are sucking the life-blood out of football. Is any one naive enough to beleive that big corporations are not trying to make a few million bucks out of football? If they didn't make money out of it they wouldn't do it.

"This is the "McDonalds Cup" semi final between Blackburn and Burnley and there is a poor crowd tonight of about 4,000 people huddled together ."

The lucky ones are watching it home & dry in the pub and buying burgers and sweety drinks and kentucky fried rat and some (stop swearing again) bloody toilet cleaner or bog roll.

I've seen the first ten fixtures and at least five of them are major headaches for the Colin family in arranging who looks after the child, the cat, and everything else.

So sod me, sod you, buy the rat burger, buy ten spoonfuls of sugar in every can and have a nice day this goal was sponsored by Ocean Finance, the next goal will be sponsored by some other opportunist capitalist arse-wipe who just wants to make some money.

"Hello, I'm doing a series of interviews on behalf of the Premier League; EUFA; whatever the English league is called now; and FIFA"

"OK, happy to oblige."

GIVE ME YOUR CREDIT CARD, YOUR WALLET AND YOUR CHEQUE BOOK

Hey Guys, not bad for 2:30 in the morning

Times the 60 miles by 6 and you've written exactly what I was thinking. Well said.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the new edition of the Sky magazine it previews the new saturday night show Football First on Sky Sports 1.

The show starts at 8.25 and is hosted by Clare Tomlinson (worth watching already tongue.gif ).

A full 90 minutes will be shown of a selected game then when thats finished you can choose extended highlights- at least 50 minutes- of a game played in The Premiership that day.

In the words of Big Brother - "you decide".

Interesting ...

They've pitched the "interactive choose your highlights of any match" bit directly against Match of the Day in the schedules if I've read the article right - assuming the BBC put out MOTD at 10 or half 10.

Just guessing here, but I'd think that the match they show in full first (at 8.25pm) won't be able to be any of the BBC's "main match choices." So with many Saturdays already having two live Prem Plus games, AND this 90 mins delayed game, AND there being live games on the Sunday ...

... maybe the format of the new MOTD will allow decent length highlights of all remaining Saturday games.

And if it doesn't, those annoyed fans who want to watch their own team (rather than extended highlights of the big teams which may already have been shown live, a la ITV) will be able to go with the choice being offered on Sky Interactive and leave MOTD with lost viewers.

Like everything you can sit and accuse big money paymasters pulling strings and devouring the things that we love. The situation with high street shops and the all powerful super markets is exactly the same.

But is it really such a huge jump in the imagination to realise that those paymasters are not Sky or Tesco's but us, the public at large.

If you want these things to remain as they are (or tiurn into something even better) the people you need to convince are the people themselves.

The days of some clubs' games being restricted to a couple of minutes of highlights here and there are gone.

Thats what we have been moaning about ever since ITV took over the Premiership highlights.

I also like the fact that the 90 minutes they choose to show will be decided after all of the games have finished on a Saturday. Gone are the days of ITV choosing to show a 0-0 draw between the 'bigger' teams instead of a 4-3 between two of the smaller ones.

It all sounds pretty good to me.

• 2 weeks later...

What a superb highlights package this is. First they play the full showing of their 'Game of the day'...unlike ITV's theory of it being the big 3 they actually show the best game, today it was Bolton against Charlton. Following that you get can choose any game and watch around an hours action from the game.

The program is scheduled to run until gone 4 in the morning so I assume you could sit and watch every game if you so wish. It's also a very welcome addition when you've chosen the pub instead and feel like catching up with the action when you get home.

Sky really are just so far ahead of the competition it's unreal, ITV bosses should look at this and hang their heads in shame.

The program is scheduled to run until gone 4 in the morning so I assume you could sit and watch every game if you so wish. It's also a very welcome addition when you've chosen the pub instead and feel like catching up with the action when you get home.

Cool, I forgot about it at 8pm so I guessed I missed it.

Meanwhile for us Sky refuseniks there was MOTD.

Negatives:

What's that? Brooklyn Beckham's been enrolled in a Madrid nursery? FANTASTIC! I so needed to know that!

Halfway through Newcastle Middlesborough:

Screen goes black.

Cut to interview with Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank, "so Jimmy, your late equalising goal; handball wasn't it?"

Cut to the remainder of the game, guess what - JFH scored a late equaliser with his hand, amazing!

Punditry along the lines of "player x had a good game didn't he."

Positives:

Five or so minutes from every game.

Overall:

A million times better than the woeful ITV effort.

I only caught the first 10 minutes of MOTD2 but that looked encouraging.

Far better than the Premiership. All games seem to get at least a few minutes on BBC. The pundits don't go over the top like they did on the Premiership, half of that show was taken up by Pundits and Adverts with a little football sprinkled in between.

I watched MOTD2 last night and thought it was terrible. Why was Gerrad Houllier there, he hardly said anything, and they have a resident 'funny man' comenting on things in the crowd and on the pitch. I missed MOTD but hopefully it's better than that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.