BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Sun - And Its Pile Of **** Apology.

SkemLad

Not one person on here wants to minimise the tragedy of what happened but when some people say "It's time to move on" I think they intend it in a helpful rather than derogatory way.

The question has been posed "What do you now hope to achieve?" and it seems to me that that hasn't been answered.

Yes, serious mistakes were made, and yes the Sun was well out of order.

But surely the fitting tribute to those that passed away was the Taylor report and the subsequent improvement in stadia and ground safety it brought about.

Don't buy the Sun by all means. Never forget those that passed away. But for those that suffered this terrible loss there are two options, try and get on with life as best you can or allow it to become an all consuming obsession which destroys the rest of your life.

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn as an emotionally detached outsider but I can only presume that wouldn't be what the victims themselves wanted.

I have been long gone from Englands shores, but this matter concerns anyone who watches sport in a Stadium, it's a disaster that could happen anywhere..

My main concern is that an adequate apology hasn't been offered by the newspaper in question, otherwise people wouldn't be campaigning.

Perhaps if that were offered sincerely, then 96 people could truly rest in peace.

Superb posts from all in the Tris trail of through

How would you lot who were saying 'get over it', like people to tell us to get over jack passing away?

Get over 9/11?

Get over D-Day?

I'd tell you not to blame a newspaper, but to blame the people actually responsible.

I remember the events of 15th April 1989 vividly as my brother was at the game with the Liverpool fans in the Lepping Lane End.

The way my parents and I felt until we heard his voice on the other end of a phone will stick with me forever as will him crying in his sleep for weeks after the event.

For all those of you who say 'move on' I urge you to engage brain and really consider the loss these people felt. Next time, and god forbid there'll never be a next time, it could be you.

Also I find it unbelievable that Liverpool fans still sing songs about the Munich Air Disaster when they play Man U, surely fans who have known the heartache of a huge disaster should not sing in jest about another one.

Good point raised.

I don’t agree with supporters who sing songs about that kind of nature what so ever.

Even as much as I dislike United I wouldn’t go to that resort to chant to them about the Munich Air Disaster. If anybody on here does sing/chant about the Air Disaster then I advice those to read, The Day a Team Died, by Frank Taylor OBE.The scenes a Hillsborough happened when I was at a very young age, but what I will always remember is the shock on the face of my dad from when he first heard it.

Rooney shouldn’t be to blame for this, The Sun have used him appallingly.

An own goal? Rooney caught in crossfire between 'The Sun' and an unforgiving city

Superb posts from all in the Tris trail of through

How would you lot who were saying 'get over it', like people to tell us to get over jack passing away?

Get over 9/11?

Get over D-Day?

I'd tell you not to blame a newspaper, but to blame the people actually responsible.

IT's not as if the papers reported people pissing on jack, 9/11 rubble or the dead soldiers at d-day though

It's about a paper reporting untruths about people that could have been you, or me, your dad/mum.

Certainly someone ultimately has to cop the blame, but when it's an organisation as big as a tabloid, then "it" cops the flack.

Also I find it unbelievable that Liverpool fans still sing songs about the Munich Air Disaster when they play Man U, surely fans who have known the heartache of a huge disaster should not sing in jest about another one.

Good point raised.

I don’t agree with supporters who sing songs about that kind of nature what so ever.

Even as much as I dislike United I wouldn’t go to that resort to chant to them about the Munich Air Disaster. If anybody on here does sing/chant about the Air Disaster then I advice those to read, The Day a Team Died, by Frank Taylor OBE.The scenes a Hillsborough happened when I was at a very young age, but what I will always remember is the shock on the face of my dad from when he first heard it.

Rooney shouldn’t be to blame for this, The Sun have used him appallingly.

An own goal? Rooney caught in crossfire between 'The Sun' and an unforgiving city

Good point, my mates Grandad was part of the back room staff at Man U and died in the Munich disaster. And everytime someone shouts or sings about Munich it really hurts him.

It's not until you see or hear of the effect of things things it really hits home how bad it was. LDRover I can only imagine how your family must of felt, and imagining it is bad enough, and you were the luck ones.

As Ricky has already pointed out, ir really baffles me is that Man U supporters sing about the Leeds fans being killed in Turkey, Leeds and Liverpool both sing about Munich yet all 3 clubs know the suffering events like this cause unsure.gif

Hillsborough was a terrible disaster, the subsequent inquiry didn't give many Liverpool fans justice, then the Sun laid into them. Liverpool fans were already suffering from the recriminations of the Heysel tragedy and many blamed them as it was easy to label it as a repeat occurrence, which it was not.

The Taylor report had its conclusions that have helped football immensely. Ticketing, policing, and stadia are far better today than in the 1980's, even the fans have changed. Solace from that is not enough for many that lost relatives, I didn't and therefore cannot understand their grief, I knew people at the game and saw the images but I'm sure it doesn't come close.

Having said that I feel that it is of little benefit for the people of Liverpool to constantly have a go at The Sun. Newspapers sell with sensationalism, they had some, they felt that it would sell, it did, they got hammered for it. To pick sides on newpapers is an exercise in futility, all the tabloids are useless and although I read them, albeit online as I'm away from Blighty, I certainly do not believe what is written or take seriously any of their crusades.

Good luck for the Justice committee, but don't blame Rooney for any of it, he's 18, a scouser making his way, and like all of us he wants peole to like him and make lots of cash.

I just cant be bothered with reading every post on this sensitive topic. However I will post only 1 thought.

Whatever happens today in Liverpool (or Everton or indeed anywhere else in Merseyside) it has absolutley tosh all to do with the fact that people died at Hillsborough. It has nothing to do with the papers, the fans, wayne rooney and the liverpool public.

Whoever has decided a direct link with Rooney because he has talked to the sun needs a swift chop in the bollux and has obviously spoken before engaging brain (if he had one that is). sad.gif

I just cant be bothered with reading every post on this sensitive topic. However I will post only 1 thought.

Whatever happens today in Liverpool (or Everton or indeed anywhere else in Merseyside) it has absolutley tosh all to do with the fact that people died at Hillsborough. It has nothing to do with the papers, the fans, wayne rooney and the liverpool public.

Whoever has decided a direct link with Rooney because he has talked to the sun needs a swift chop in the bollux and has obviously spoken before engaging brain (if he had one that is). sad.gif

Spot on - But someone should have known this was going to happen, whether it be Rooney's agent or the Sun

Edited by Dr Gonzo

As hard as it is when bad things happen and people over time do not move on, bitterness ( however understandble) can destory lives in the here and now. forgivesness is a hard thing to do, but as a Christian we are called to do it, as it empowers us to start a new stage of our lives.

when things have happen to me ( I have tried to forgive) not for the benift of others so that I can move on. I know its easy to say and hard to do. but it does work. And as a new paper I do not buy. like or agree with the sun

Edited by des

Hello....

I ended in a bit of a mood last night, and that wasnt my intention or what I like to do. But rather than be upset and wound up by the lack of respect in certain posts, i decided to just shut up and go...with the intention of coming back to this [as i have done]

I completely respect that people may have other views to me on this subject, and thats only natural.

I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone who has supported us on this thread and to many of you, who I know have been into the HJC shop, or helped with things on visits to Anfield. As Mottman has said many times on here, and on Liverpool websites before....Blackburn fans have been one of the strongest supporters of the HJC and have stood shoulder to shoulder with Reds on this topic for many years - and long may that continue. It is moving to read some of the posts on here, and without wanting to sound like a complete fool - ive had to get up a couple of times and walk away to regain some composure because they provoke some strong feelings. This whole issue isnt about Liverpool, Everton, Merseyside, Rooney or whatever...its about injustices and the fact that people who died havent been able to rest in peace with dignity, and im sure we can all sympathise with that.

With regards to Rooney and being subject to 'terrible torment on merseyside'....id just like to say that there will always be a minority that gain more publicity than others when they say outrageous things....on merseyside there are a few [obviously] who initially reasted over the top about the who issue, and got very abusive and aggressive about it. But on the whole the blame isnt with Rooney, and its not about giving him a bashing cos hes a blue and we are Reds....

This is something posted on an LFC website that alot of people have agreed with......

I'm not interested in bashing Rooney for this, in fact I think it would be a massive mistake but the problem with this is that it smacks of damage limitation after the vent. I doubt any watchers of the media would have discounted that one of the reasons to do a deal with the rag is that it affords you some level of protection from them. The fact that so many have managed to resist their approach despite this however makes it difficult to swallow as an excuse for a Liverpool born player to trot out.

I blame the rag and the agents but rather than allowing information like this to surface it would be a far braver and better option if the player were to issue a statement regretting his actions. It won't happen and I understand the reasons why but I'd prefer it to this form of protective leaking from his representatives.

On the whole, the people of Liverpool [or at least the many I speak to] are not giving Rooney greif purely for the sake of it...as I say above, its a case of mis-advice etc etc....

The blame is more with the paper for manipulating the lad into doing it.

This is going to sound like pure bullshit, but ive heard it before [before even this Rooney & S*n connection] and it has been confirmed on other LFC sites recently that they have been advised this too.

I'll copy the words from one of the sites........

Seems a strange decision even now. Of all the papers why that rag? There's been plenty of speculation that it might have been a deliberate attempt by his agents Pro-active to distance him from the people of Merseyside thus making a move away inevitable. That may have been part of it.

What's true is The S*n let it be known to the Rooney clan that they had paparazzi pictures of him driving as a 16 year old without insurance or driving licence. They were prepared to run the pictures.

Now this may seem trivial to most but to a naive 18 year old just exploding onto the world stage, with a reputation to protect, it's a worry. It's a big worry when the agents of said kid advise him to sign up with the newspaper to avoid disclosure of the photos. "You'd get no more money anywhere else and it's best for you to quash the pictures". So he signs on.

Young Wayne hasn't had ANY contact with the newspaper since last Thursday and today's apology (and story about the threats against him) was run without his knowledge.

For those who asked why the campaign still exists

Justice?

15th April 1989 is a date that indelibly emblazoned across the hearts of every man, woman and child on Merseyside. A day that started with all the joy and expectancy of an FA Cup semi-final but which ultimately ended with ninety-six football fans losing their lives, for the support of their club.

Whilst Liverpool fans lay dead and dying on the Hillsborough turf, as trained police officers looked on, the cover-up into the causes of the disaster began. Gordon Taylor falsely claimed that Liverpool fans had forced open a gate. The Hillsborough disaster was a catalogue of calamitous events- the incompetence of Sheffield Wednesday Football Club, the ineptitude of South Yorkshire police, the ineffectiveness of Sheffield City Council (the club never even had a valid safety certificate) and the arrogance of the Football Association. The Association that chose to give Nottingham Forest considerably more tickets than Liverpool, despite having considerably fewer fans, citing traffic logistics as a reason.

The events served to bond the people of Liverpool closer than ever before as fans of all clubs paid their respects to the dead at Anfield. It was difficult not to be moved by the sight of a Manchester United fan sat crying and bewildered in the Albert pub next to Kop.

In the days that followed the disaster and despite all evidence being to the contrary The S*n newspaper decided to publish an article entitles “The Truth”, in which it claimed that Liverpool fans had robbed and urinated on the dead and had attacked the police, apparently our saviours. The investigations and evidence were to prove this to be lies. The police had chosen to open an exit gate at the Leppings Lane end of the ground, at the other side of the gate was the entrance to a tunnel leading to the central pens. There was no stewarding or policing at the tunnel, nor was there any signs to indicate alternative entrances to the terracing. At the end of the tunnel lay closed pens from which there was no way out for the ninety-six fans who lost their lives.

Since that day the S*n newspaper has been reviled on Merseyside and remains the subject of a mass boycott. We would urge all football fans of all clubs to consider how The S*n portrayed fellow football fans, in the days while we were all grieving, and would ask them to join our boycott of this vile rag. A recent media week study into the boycott on Merseyside estimated that the boycott had cost the S*n around £25 Million since the article.

Please Do Not Buy The S*n.

The Lord Justice Taylor inquiry into the events found the main cause of the disaster to be “The breakdown of Police control”. No court of law in this land has ever considered events after 3.15 on that day. Events such as the police refusing entry to the Stadium for Ambulance-men on the grounds that “People were fighting on the pitch”, events such as the Police sending for dog-handlers rather than emergency services with fence-cutting equipment. Anne Williams, who lost her fifteen year old son, Kevin, at Hillsborough describes the actions of the Liverpool fans that day as “heroic”, young untrained men trying to save the lives of the dead and injured, whilst trained Police Officers formed a cordon to keep fans off the pitch, and turned away ambulance-men armed with life-saving equipment.

Nobody has ever been held accountable in a British Courtroom for the events of that day, and the cover-up around Hillsborough continues. Anne received £3500 compensation for the loss of her young son whilst former police sergeant Martin Long received about one hundred times that amount for the Post Traumatic Stress he received whilst carrying out his duties.

In the fifteenth season since the disaster, the dead, bereaved and survivors of Hillsborough still fight for Justice. There has to be some accountability for the death of ninety-six people, even if the authorities see them as merely football fans, in 1989 the lowest of the low. It appears increasingly likely that the fight for Justice will never be resolved in a British Courtroom and will reach its ultimate destination in the European Courts, but the people of Merseyside and the fans of Liverpool Football Club will not let the fight for “The Truth” go away.

Justice is a complex notion, it can mean so much on so many different levels. It is not something which is black and white, justice is the truth of Hillsborough and Justice is a struggle. It will not be achieved overnight, but it will be achieved, and it is only through truth and accountability that it can be achieved.

The Hillsborough Justice Campaign represents bereaved families, survivors and supporters campaigning for justice for the 96 people who died at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough football ground on 15th April 1989. The truth about Hillsborough is still denied by the authorities.

The campaign is situated at 178 Walton Breck Road, facing the Albert Pub and behind the Kop. All football fans are more than welcome to call in when you are at Anfield and have a look around our shop and premises, your support would be greatly appreciated, the group meet at 8pm every Monday evening at the premises.

For those who asked about the price it must have cost the S*n since the disaster

http://media.guardian.co.uk/presspublishin...1119883,00.html

From the Guardian

The S*n's circulation has fallen to its lowest level in 30 years after dropping nearly 5% in just 12 months, dealing a blow to Rebekah Wade who is this week celebrating a year in the editor's chair.

Sales of the tabloid newspaper fell below 3.3 million in December for the first time since January 1974, 4.95% down on the previous year.

It reached just 3,277,000, according to audited ABC figures, well down on the previous year but still well ahead of January 1974 when it last fell below the psychologically significant 3 million mark.

December is traditionally a slow month for newspaper sales and the Sun was by no means the worst performer.

But the figures will nonetheless come as a psychological blow for the paper, which has enjoyed a relatively stable circulation over the past three decades thanks in part to its aggressive pricing strategy.

More than 100,000 readers deserted the paper in December compared with the previous month, a fall of more than 3%.

This was more of a drop than any other national daily paper except the Daily Star and the Daily Express.

The 5% year-on-year drop will be particularly embarrassing for Wade, who took over last January and has spent the first week of this year watching arch-rival Daily Mirror dominate the news with its scoop that Princess Diana believed Prince Charles wanted her dead.

In the final year of her predecessor David Yelland's tenure the S*n's circulation increased by 4.2% to just under 3.5 million a day, while the Daily Mirror's fell by 0.75% to just over 2 million.

The one consolation for Wade will be that the Mirror's sales have fallen even further, dropping 6.5% year on year to 1.9 million last month.

The figures for both papers are particularly dramatic because they were artificially boosted by low prices in 2002.

The Mirror called a truce in its bitter price war with the S*n last spring, at the instigation of new Trinity Mirror chief executive, Sly Bailey.

The war, launched by the Mirror in May 2002, is estimated to have cost the Sun £65m. At its peak, more than 2 million copies of the paper were being sold at a discount.

No one at the S*n could be reached for comment.

The people who are responsible for this cancer on our society are not the editors or journalists but the idiots who buy them.

That's a very "superior" of viewing the situation , Joey ! The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of tabloid readers aren't stupid - they know exactly what they're reading and how seriously to take the contents . However , if you've only 5 minutes break at work , you don't feel like getting out the Times and doing the crossword , you want a bit of light reading.

However , 15 years ago the Sun didn't just put a bit of a spin on a story or stretch the truth a little to make a point ; it deliberately and maliciously printed lies that accused fellow Brits of being complicit in this most tragic of accidents - the fact that they are "scousers" is absolutely irrelevant , they may well have been Scots , Geordies or whatever . Only the completely stupid (and unfortunately we have a few of those on here) make any distinction.

For treating good , honest fellow citizens like that , the Sun must pay - for as long as memories remain of that day . It must pay as much as possible in lost revenues for as long as possible , if only for the sole reason to deter the other rags from even contemplating treating our people in such a callous manner ever again .

Skem lad, your "Justice?" post is a very powerful and moving post. All I can do is to wish that everyone who had family or friends involved on that tragic day, will quickly get the truth to be fully revealed.

As for the fight with the Sun - well it's not for us people who haven't been involved in any of this, to be judging your actions towards that newspaper. If that's how you feel, who are we to say you're wrong.

Good luck, I hope you get to the truth.

The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of tabloid readers aren't stupid - they know exactly what they're reading and how seriously to take the contents .

Agree with much of what you say Phil. However I can't agree that the vast majority know exactly what they are reading. Sadly I would say a fair majority of Sun readers often believe much of what is written in the press which is why it's so worrying at times.

Incidentally Skem Lad another couple of great posts. I remember watching the 'drama' that was on ITV years ago starring Christopher Eccleston, it was impossible to watch that and not have tears in your eyes. I believe the programme was made with the assistance of some of the affected, apologies if i'm wrong, and certainly was moving.

The payouts to certain police officers considering the actions of them and their colleagues on the day is nothing short of a disgrace.

Thats right ManchesterBlue....

It was a Jimmy McGovern Docu-drama. It was extremely hard hitting, and hard to watch...the HJC have copies of this and another programme on VCD now...it is hard to view, and brings a tear to the eye...but it is an accurate depiction of what happened.

We have been trying for years since to get it re-screened to no avail...even this years 15th anniversary went on deaf ears.

Im bothered about over doing this thread a bit, cos on the whole youve been very supportive and great...but obviously with that, it makes me want to post more stuff and tell you more....so I will throw a couple more bits on and then ill let you decide if you need to know anything else?

Cheers for reading....

tinykit.gif

The HJC [Hillsborough Justice Campaign] is still fighting today as strongly as it ever has done. Anne Williams is the chairperson of The Hillsborough Justice Campaign. The campaign continues the fight for justice for the dead, the bereaved and the survivors of the Hillsborough Disaster, and meets each Monday evening at the offices in Oakfield Road. These meetings, as well as the support she receives, give Anne the resolve to continue the fight for justice for her son, Kevin.

Hillsborough was Kevin’s first away trip to watch the reds, and he arrived early at the ground, standing near the front of pen 3. When a senior police officer gave the order to open the exit gates in order to ease the build-up of fans waiting outside, most fans headed straight for the central pens. These pens were already full but the police made no attempt to divert fans to the unfilled pens on the wings. Sheffield Wednesday FC had not thought it necessary to signpost the fact that entry could be gained to the terracing without entering through the central tunnels. Those unfamiliar with the ground headed for the most obvious entry, which was through the tunnels at Leppings Lane into the pens which were already full. Once in, there was no way out.

Kevin was caught up in the ensuing crush, and at about 3.28pm his body was pulled out of the crowd by other desperate fans, who carried him to the North Stand on an advertising hoarding. There, an off-duty police officer, who was attending the match as a supporter, noticed Kevin moving. Together with a St John’s ambulance man they attempted heart massage and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, eventually they found a pulse. They tried to get him to an ambulance but the only ambulance that the police had allowed onto the pitch drove straight past to the original scene of the disaster. At around 3.37 another ambulance man shone a light into Kevin’s eyes and pronounced him dead……..he was not.

Debra Martin, a Sheffield Special Constable, made a statement revealing how she escorted Kevin’s body to a makeshift mortuary set up in the gymnasium below the ground’s North Stand. She attempted, once again, to resuscitate Kevin and amazingly found a pulse. As she cradled Kevin in her arms, he opened his eyes, murmured the word “mum” and slumped back. At 4.00pm Kevin died in her arms.

Debra Martin’s evidence has never been heard in open court, indeed when the inquest into the disaster was held the coroner imposed a cut-off time of 3.15pm. No evidence of events after this time has ever been heard in a UK court, which effectively ruled out evidence into how the victims were treated in the aftermath of the disaster. Peter Carney, a member of HJC, for example, was left for dead by authorities, until a friend saw and helped him.

Specifically in Kevin’s case, it was assumed he was dead by 3.15. At the very least witnesses who claimed to the contrary should have been called to give evidence to the jury. Other pertinent facts were omitted from evidence. Oxygen cylinders, which could have saved Kevin’s life, were available but remained outside the stadium as the ambulances that contained them were not allowed inside. The Police officers, trained in emergency situations, who should have assisted in the admission of these ambulances, stood idly by in a cordon across the halfway line allegedly in an attempt to keep rival fans apart.

A verdict of accidental death was recorded against Kevin and the other victims, with “Traumatic Asphyxia” being given as the cause of death. The inquests were the longest in British legal history (at one point the coroner insensitively announced that ‘We are now eligible for The Guinness Book of Records”). In 1993 a Judicial Review ruled that it was not ‘in the public interest’ to re-open the inquests. A scrutiny chaired by Lord Justice Stuart Smith in 1997 concluded that there would be no new public inquiry into the disaster or its aftermath. In June 2000, other bereaved families brought a private prosecution against Chief Superintendent David Duckenfield, who was in overall command at Hillsborough and his deputy, Superintendent Bernard Murray. Murray was acquitted whilst the jury failed to reach a verdict over Duckenfield. It was later revealed that if either had been found guilty they would not have faced a custodial sentence, as this had been agreed in a pre-hearing judgement.

Over thirteen years later Anne Williams, members of the HJC and Liverpool fans remain as determined as ever to establish accountability over the events of 15th April 1989. They refuse to accept the verdict of ‘Accidental Death’ and argue that by imposing the cut-off point of 3.15pm, the coroner effectively ruled out a verdict, which could have incorporated ‘Lack of Care’.

Kevin Williams died through ‘Lack of Care’. His mother, Anne, has courted the opinion of countless professionals, amongst them eminent forensic pathologists, all of whom reject “Traumatic Asphyxia” as a cause of death. The most recent to support Anne’s case is the Home Office Consultant Pathologist Dr Nathanial Cary, effectively the leading UK expert in the field of forensic pathology. His views concur with those of Dr James Burns and Dr Iain West before him, both very highly experienced and highly regarded forensic pathologists.

In a report soon to be submitted to the Attorney General, as part of a memorial to have the inquest into the death of Kevin Williams re-opened, Dr Cary writes:

“I support the view that Dr Slater [pathologist who carried out the autopsy on Kevin] was incorrect in ascribing death as being due to traumatic asphyxia when the term is used properly. Based on the pathological findings described by him and the external findings that I have seen in photographs, the appropriate cause of death should now have been ‘compression of the neck’.”

Dr Cary goes on to explain that Kevin may not have died had relatively simple medical procedures taken place, equipment such as oxygen and tubing may have saved Kevin’s life.

Anne Williams will submit this report of Dr Cary, along with other new evidence, to the Attorney General and will be asking him to quash the verdict on Kevin. She will be arguing that Kevin died of injuries other than those established at the inquest and that he possibly could have been saved had he received the correct treatment at the time. She will also state that as a result of the imposed 3.15pm cut-off, Kevin never received a fair hearing and this is in contradiction of his fundamental human rights.

In spite of all the previous set-backs and the deep-seated failure of the British Legal System to provide Justice for her dead son, Anne Williams remains optimistic:

"The legal system has failed us many times but I believe that in the end the truth will win out. We just have to keep chipping away at the brick wall the legal system has placed in front of us. 96 people died because of a lack of care. This needs to be acknowledged. Maybe then, the dead can rest in peace."

A more complete account of Anne Williams fight for justice can be found in her book "When You Walk Through A Storm".

As you can see, the events of that fateful day are not as plain as a lot of people would like to make believable. When you start to look into the injustices that have occurred you really do find out why it is fought so fervently.

****** Things you may not have known about the role of the police and The Hillsborough Disaster ******

• The initial response of the police was not to send for the emergency services, but to send for dog handlers as reinforcements.

• Fire engines- armed with crucial fence cutting equipment arrived at the football ground- but were turned away by the police.

• Fans who managed to climb over the perimeter fencing to escape onto the pitch, were pushed back by police officers. Gate 3, which opened onto the pitch, actually sprung open twice under the weight of the crush. Fans were pushed back in by police, who then closed the gate, again. Clearly the emphasis for the police was on crowd control rather than crowd safety.

• The Major-Accident vehicle, which was equipped for dealing with disasters, was not sent out until 3.29pm. When it arrived at the stadium however, it was unable to enter the ground as Sheffield Wednesday had made unreported structural changes to the stadium.

• Former police sergeant Martin Long was awarded an estimated £330,000 compensation for post-traumatic stress disorder after witnessing the tragedy. By comparison Anne Williams received £3,500 for her dead son Kevin. Thirteen years after the disaster survivors still contact the Hillsborough Justice Campaign for the first time, because they are still traumatised by the disaster. There have been a number of suicides of survivors.

• In October 1987, Lord Justice Stuart Smith chaired a scrutiny of evidence. At the beginning of the inquiry he turned to one of the bereaved and asked, "Have you got a few of your people? Or are they like the Liverpool fans- turn up at the last minute?"

• The police force that was in charge of investigating the disaster was The West Midlands Police Force. It included a former head of its Serious Crime Squad, which was disbanded the same year because of corrupt practices.

• Before the private prosecution of senior officers Duckenfield and Murray a Pre-hearing ruling was given by Justice Hooper (who presided over the case) that should the defendants be found guilty they would not go to prison.

• The inquiry into the disaster found that "The main cause of the Disaster was the breakdown of police control".

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.