BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Important - Please Read

QUOTE (Ste B @ Jul 12 2004, 16:37 ) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You may have noticed we were without the messageboard this afternoon.

As indeed we were last night at about 10.45pm.

QUOTE (Ste B @ Jul 12 2004, 23:09 ) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
our bandwidth and hit count is so high, that unless we get some serious sponsorship in the future, i'm not confident of providing the same level of service.

Is this the crux of the matter? Perhaps Scotty, for example, now blames Nicko for being too popular and increasing the hit count too much.

4. Overt advertising - the least desireable option.

Are the random Amazon links that we had on here recently - where typing a particular word generated links to items on Amazon - the type of overt advertising and the least desireable option that you had in mind Paul?

If the day arrives that this site needs to sell its soul and employ tactics of pop-up adverts etc, that will be the day it ceases to exist.

Fortunately the rather irritating random pop-up Amazon adverts are no longer with us.

Ship is becalmed not sinking.

We've had one or two stormy seas of late though....

QUOTE (Ste B @ Jul 12 2004, 23:09 ) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The pressure is for us to upgrade to a managed server at £120 a month.. which just isnt going to happen.

Has there been any change of mind on this score?

As Harold Macmillan once said: "Events, dear boy, events."

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to reiterate again to any of the Nicko-teen kids who haven't as yet digested the message in red at the top of the screen - please boys and girls don't press the F5 button or to constantly refresh the website.

I know that Nicko's posts are interesting - but some of the other posts on Nicko's January Rumour thread - such as: "My Aunty's next-door neighbour's brother in-law's previous partner's cat told me that Rovers are interested in signing a Brazilian striker. Is this true Nicko and by the way Nicko I love you so much and I want to have your babies and live with you forever more," those type of posts come into a different category.

For anyone who hasn't yet read the thread about the website's current problems in the "Ask Admin" thread, Gordon posted:

Not sure I understand all these problems. Surely there has been times that have seen far greater traffic on here in the past than the amount recently?

Clare replied:

I think the problem is the amount of constant traffic. Yes in the past there have been big peaks - when Duff left is one off the my head - but right now the amount of traffic is high all the time which will be putting the pressure on the server.

I'm sure that any financial contributions would be gratefully received by the Admin. As Paul posted in 2004:

The preferred choice will always be "free to air" but nothing in life is truely free.

QUOTE (Ste B @ Jan 16 2009, 12:18 ) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We will be working out ways for people to contribute, but are trying to find ways of giving something back.. Ie a bit of webspace or something similar.

Just to reiterate again to any of the Nicko-teen kids who haven't as yet digested the message in red at the top of the screen - please boys and girls don't press the F5 button or to constantly refresh the website.

I know that Nicko's posts are interesting - but some of the other posts on Nicko's January Rumour thread - such as: "My Aunty's next-door neighbour's brother in-law's previous partner's cat told me that Rovers are interested in signing a Brazilian striker. Is this true Nicko and by the way Nicko I love you so much and I want to have your babies and live with you forever more," those type of posts come into a different category.

For anyone who hasn't yet read the thread about the website's current problems in the "Ask Admin" thread, Gordon posted:

Clare replied:

I'm sure that any financial contributions would be gratefully received by the Admin. As Paul posted in 2004:

Obviously I cant speak for anyone else but I would certainly be receptive to any sensible ideas as to how we the members and beneficiarys of this MB could help out with the financial problems. Any suggestions folks? I also realise that the admin people are both too busy and too worried at this time to join in this debate, but I feel that the rest of us should try and come up with some ideas to help out.

Not having the slightest idea what is involved in providing this service to all us Rovers fans I am at a severe disadvantage in getting the ball rolling as it were because I have simply no idea what it takes or how much it costs, but I will certainly be keeping a very close watch on what suggestions are forthcoming and will hopefully be able to eventually join in with something sensible myself. Alternatively I will be happy to go along with any reasonable suggestion that gains the approval of the the admin and members. Sorry I can't be any more constructive but the heart is certainly willing...this site means a great deal to me and i do not want to see it go under.

Obviously I cant speak for anyone else but I would certainly be receptive to any sensible ideas as to how we the members and beneficiarys of this MB could help out with the financial problems. Any suggestions folks? I also realise that the admin people are both too busy and too worried at this time to join in this debate, but I feel that the rest of us should try and come up with some ideas to help out.

Is there no way we can get the Club to donate a few dollars to help run the site? End of the day quite a few of the fans come on here who are season ticket holders at Rovers, and maybe they could help out?

I will be setting up a direct debit payment via paypal in the next few days....this site has gone from strength to strength over the years and no way should it be ever let go. :rover:

Paul or any of the mods, just to confirm paypal address as admin@brfcs.com?

Never used paypal and do not know how to do so. Would like to contribute to this site please let us all know how we all could - not just via paypal.

The Donate page has a PayPal link on it. This is the ultimate solution for me to get some donations in.

Paul, have you had a chance to relinquish the PayPal account from Lee's control. As you may recall, the last time I tried to donate through it, the payment bounced, so to speak.

Just a suggestion, if PayPal is not an option, it would be a good idea to remove it from the "Donate" page, as this page is now prominent again.

PayPal, but do they not charge a % for drawing down funds, I know they do on mine.

Which means less money to work with.

Paul or any of the mods, just to confirm paypal address as admin@brfcs.com

SG194 - I'm not involved anymore so I don't know if that is correct or not.

AESF - I still hold the opinion, purely personal now, everything has to be paid for and nothing is truely free. In 2004 I don't think I was aware of the recent Amazon type links we saw, but certainly today this is what I, as a member, hope we don't see on the site as I feel that type of link completely disrupts the flow of a post.

I would hope the membership can see a way to providing any funds the site needs rather raising money through advertising. It's been done before and I hope it will happen again. It does of course rely on people who promise money actually stumping up the cash

Edited by Paul

Please hold fire before contributing. We will setup a proper mechanism for it. We will need to concentrate on the server move first mind.

Adverts will be a necessary evil, but the amazon type keyword links are probably a bad idea. We dont reallly want to plaster the site with ads, but sponsorships of various sections ie when the chat page was "Bushys Bar" are a possibility

Again i`m not overally sure the best way to provide funds as i don`t know what amounts are required per annum.Somebody came up with an idea of going to the ground before a home game with buckets collecting cash this sounds a good idea and you would have 2 volunteers here. :tu:

Another idea,how about having t-shirts with BRFCS.com printed on to sell on the site? not sure of the cost involved in doing something like this or whether it is viable,but just trying to throw a couple of ideas out ?

To draw an analogy with John Williams, we are more intent on making the site pay for itself than relying on the trustees (or in our case, the kind people that donate). We have a nice cushion of money for now, bit we don't want to threaten the long term future by becoming reliant on it.

Is it possible that you could release how much you'd want to bring in through advertising and how much the site needs annually to cover costs?

I'd estimate a sensible target would be £100 per month.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.