BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Starting 11

wa sa hard choice between gresko and gray but gresko's heart and effort is immense, plus he scored a few last year and is better going forward.

think there's more chance of Cole playing again then Gresko starting ahead of Gray, different class

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friedel

Neill              Matteo                        Short                    Gray

Ferguson                       

Thompson                                                                 De Pedro

Tugay

Stead                         Dickov

SUBS

Enckelman

Mceverly

Emerton

Gally

Jansen

Edited by tcj_jones

[cheesey film slo-mo]

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, nnnnnooott tttttttthhhhhhheeeee dddiiiiaaaammmmmooooonnndddddd......

[/cheesey film slo-mo]

I really need to find a new way of displaying a formation - what is there now is what i wanted it to look like. I tried to show Ferguson and Tugay together in the centre with Tugay pushing up and Ferguson dropping back but gave up on aligning them and put them infront and behind each other.

Considering the few touches and passes he made, I wouldnt mind betting Gally getting the nod ahead of Stead, sitting behind Dickov, should Stead have a bad few games... I'm sure Stead/Dickov will start the season, tho.

If I was the boss you mean? Well in that case ...

What on Earth is that?! McEverley at the back, he's been out for ages! And Nissa?! Emerton at RB?! ohmy.gif

Our best 11 (I think):

Friedel

Neill, Amoruso, Matteo, Gray

Gally, Fergie, Tugay, de Pedro

Dickov, Stead

What on Earth is that?! McEverley at the back, he's been out for ages! And Nissa?! Emerton at RB?! ohmy.gif

Our best 11 (I think):

Friedel

Dickov, Stead

Don't criticise if you can't come up with a better team yourself - Tugay and Ferguson in the centre of midfield, Gally on the right! If that's not a midfield asking to be overrun then I don't know what is wink.gif

We Could end up playing like this with Matteo in Midfield

Friedel

Neill, Amo, Short, Gray

Matteo

Thommo, Ferguson, De Pedro

Stead, Dickov

Seems a better idea to me than having Tugay play every week alongside Ferguson. As much as I think Tugay is a great passing player, he can't tackle.

And I don't think Fergie should be playing the holding role - we saw in the cup against Liverpool his knack for breaking into the box to score, and I hope we'll see a lot more of it this season.

Hopefully, Matteo playing in central midfield might not be necessary at all if we can put the money saved on the wages of Cole (and Yorke? Flitcroft?) to good use and bring Butt in on loan / permanently.

But I'd also like to see Flitcroft stay until a younger replacement is found.

Before anyone says "what about Douglas?", I reckon Souness might give him a go at right-back at some point.

I think most people have got basically the same team with one or two changes. This is my team presuming no more buy's:-

Friedel

Neill Amo Matteo Gray

Emerton Thompson Fergie De Pedro

Stead Dickov/Jansen (not sure yet)

I think we have a strong squad of backup players.

Bench:

Reid

Tugay

Short

Gresko

Gally

Enks

Our best 11 (I think):

Friedel

Dickov, Stead

Well Bryan, I think Matteo and Amo are crap, Short is a good squad player but too old. And I'm sure after pre-season every player starts on the same physical level (apart from Amoruso who will probably be injured for the majority of the season). I'd rather see wing back Emerton playing right back than wing back liability Neill.

Have to agree with Bryan on this one everybody being fit and pending no more signings:-

My team:- thumbs-up.gif

Friedel

Neill (nobody else!), Amoruso, Matteo/Short, Gray

Dickov, Stead

Possible exception - Thompson/Douglas for Tugs

Thompson for Gallagher

Gallagher for Dickov

Bench:

Enckleman

JANSEN/Gallagher/Dickov

Thompson/Douglas/Tugs/Emma weighs a tonne

Short/Eric/Matteo

Side I think Souness will pick....

Douglas

gresko gallagher de pedro reid(if still here)

yelldell dickov neill short

Eric (because he scored in the cup a few seasons back) Friedel (beacuse he can remember him scoring last season)

....as he continues his escapade to make sure everybody can cover each position sad.gif

I'd have to say that I expect Gally to be coming on 60-70th minute to sub Dickov and provide a good burst of energy. Therefore:

Brad

Neill, Amo, Matteo, Gray

Thompson, Emerton (switching inside and out as they see fit), Ferguson, DePedro

Stead, Ronaldo (barring him signing, Dickov)

Thompson, Emerton (switching inside and out as they see fit)

I think that's a great point that many people have failed to consider. Assuming that Thompson is fully fit and both he and Emerton start, it's not such a bad idea for them to shift back and forth to alternately provide attacking impetus (Thommo) and solid defensive cover (Emerton) from the center.

And American, I wouldn't hold your hopes out for Ronaldo... apparently Burnley have the inside path to signing him... again.

Anyway, this XI has already been suggested a ton of times but I'll post it again anyway:

Friedel

Emerton, Thompson, Ferguson, de Pedro

Stead, Dickov

Bench: Enckelman, Gallagher, Johansson, Tugay, Douglas

I'd really like to see Nissa given a fair run in the side, but as of now I'm not sure whose expense it should be at. Tugay is certainly still capable of a decent run of games in the center of midfield, but I think that he and Gally could each do a fantastic job as game-changing substitutes.

Whatever the case, I hope that this talk is premature--and that there will be at least one more signing to come (Butt please) that could shake things up a bit.

Thompson, Emerton (switching inside and out as they see fit)

I think that's a great point that many people have failed to consider. Assuming that Thompson is fully fit and both he and Emerton start, it's not such a bad idea for them to shift back and forth to alternately provide attacking impetus (Thommo) and solid defensive cover (Emerton) from the center.

And American, I wouldn't hold your hopes out for Ronaldo... apparently Burnley have the inside path to signing him... again.

Anyway, this XI has already been suggested a ton of times but I'll post it again anyway:

Friedel

Emerton, Thompson, Ferguson, de Pedro

Stead, Dickov

Bench: Enckelman, Gallagher, Johansson, Tugay, Douglas

I'd really like to see Nissa given a fair run in the side, but as of now I'm not sure whose expense it should be at. Tugay is certainly still capable of a decent run of games in the center of midfield, but I think that he and Gally could each do a fantastic job as game-changing substitutes.

Whatever the case, I hope that this talk is premature--and that there will be at least one more signing to come (Butt please) that could shake things up a bit.

I dont really think it is viable for Thommo and Emerton to switch back and forth due to their lack of experience in the centre. Whoever plays there needs to be primarily concerned with holding the midfield together, a responsibility that niether of them have had really. It is a demanding job that has a real impact on how much of the ball you can win- swapping will just distract from that I feel.

I would love for some people promoting Tugay and Ferguson to play in the same team to explain how this would work, surely we don't expect Ferguson to be the defensive midfielder, and Tugay at 34yrs old, he's already inconsistent, his legs must be getting heavy, i just can't see that working.

If we play De Pedro and Emo and Ferguson they are already attacking players, we don't want to end up making the mistakes Keegan always does.

Othwise most the people here have a similar team

Edited by chris

Absolutely right. I'd throw in penalty taking as another reason, but I cant see it being relevant.

Ferguson is also very adept at the Tim Sherwood-esque late run into the penalty area, his goals vs Birmingham and Liverpool last season being prime examples of this.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.