BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Starting 11

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no use him getting used to playin on the right again and then change things half way through the season!

Why would we need to change his position halfway through the season? And more to the point, since when has that been a rare occurance? As you say, he's a big boy, if he needed to change he would cope.

Well Bryan, I think Matteo and Amo are crap

I wholeheartedly agree with the Matteo comment but I don't think Amoruso is crap. His commitment and spirit showed when he returned to the side last season, plus he is good at bringing the ball forward, good power, and an aerial threat to the opposition. But of course I'm not forgetting his poor positioning and lack of pace..

I think we have four good centre-backs in Amo, Short, Nissa (and with more work, McEveley). I think if we were going to sign another central defender it would of had to be a good established, quality defender... not some Dominic bloke...

If you look at it in some places for the team the competition in really good - choosing the midfield for example, or Gresko or Grey at left back. Other places in the team, mainly up front or at centre back and the squad looks a bit thin. A Dickov Stead partnership does little to excite me. Hopefully Matteo's no nonsense approach will steady Amoruso but to be honest I'm not a fan of his. Centre backs have to be reliable. I'd go for:

Friedel

Neill, Matteo, Nissa, Grey

Emerton, Flitty, Ferguson, De Pedro,

Stead, then either rejuvinated Jansen, new striker or Dickov (in that order)

If Jansen is back to his best, or decent form I'd start with him. Sadly I can't see it happening. Dickov is a useful squad player but not good enough to lead the line at Premiership level. Sadly I can't see us getting a replacement. Therefore Dickov get's it be default.

subs: Enkleman, Gresko, Thompson, Gally, Tugay.

Douglass and Reid should not be let near the team barring excessive injury problems.

no not in that way...

from the forwards on the books, Stead, Dickov, Gallagher and Jansen

who should be the number one pairing?

I favour Staed and Jansen to start with and see how it goes

it be a good opportunity for Matty Jansen to get is career on the roads again

There seem to be a lot of similarities in the teams being chosen by many contributors but the questions I have to ask are:is anybody excited by this team and is there any point in going to buy a season ticket to go and watch them?

Picking Jansen or Dickov as first choice strikers whilst they tread water in the premiership does not entice anyone to buy a season ticket let alone a match ticket.

Gally at best is only...... a twenty minute man, best coming on as a sub. Stead might not make the same impact as last season but if he puts the effort in the fans will adore him for that.

Souness has to bring in some much needed quality ....and not scousers.

is anybody excited by this team and is there any point in going to buy a season ticket to go and watch them?

You tell us.

Is there any point being alive ?!

© ~=Basil Fawlty

Edited by Tris

There seem to be a lot of similarities in the teams being chosen by many contributors but the questions I have to ask are:is anybody excited by this team and is there any point in going to buy a season ticket to go and watch them?

yeah the line ups are similar, should be excited, yes and no

Will Thompson be the same, will Emo get fit, will Stead continue to score, how's Amo going to do this time, Neil must up his game which he could do, is De Pedro still good enough at 31 yrs old and many many more ?????

the talent is there I think just needs some fitness and stability.

The obvious observation from the posts is most fans are uneasy about Dickov, me aswell, he's nearly 32 yrs old and has a poor record other then scoring 9 goals in open play last season in the PL, plus he scored 2 pens and missed a really important one against Man City.

I call it 50/50 on whether we do well or not, i'm not even going to make a prediction this season, I think its impossible to call, but really you got to be a little excited as in the last 7 months we have become stronger in 4 position, left back, left midfield, centre defence and a forward plus we have two extra midfielders in Ferguson and Thompson returning.

The only place we are weaker is Dickov replacing Cole, but hopefully this will be solved.

• 2 weeks later...

friedel

neill amoruso moore gray

matteo

emerton de pedro

thompson ferguson

stead

thats what i think he will do if he is going to play matteo in misfield because ferguson will play and he said that thompson will be playing centre mid aswell and that he might have to change his system for it so he will prob play one up front(stead) with emerton, de pedro and either thompson or ferguson attacking with one of them staying back.

though i hope he would do this line up

friedel

neill moore matteo gray

emerton ferguson thompson de pedro

stead gallacher/jansen/dickov

I think the one really positive thing about the Moore signing is that it proves how serious Souey is about improving the defense. The addition of Matteo and, to a lesser extent, de Pedro, shows the gaffer's commitment to balancing the side and consequently tightening up a defense that let the team down last year.

If Matteo winds up starting in a holding midfielder role--something that is looking increasingly likely--then Rovers will be playing less of a 4-4-2 and more of a 4-1-3-2, with Dom lying very deep to cover the back four and give the other three midfielders license to get forward.

If my suspicions are correct then the starting XI should look something like this:

Friedel

Neill      Amoruso      Nissa      Gray

Matteo

Emerton     Ferguson     de Pedro

Stead    Dickov

If Matteo proves that he can do a job there--and I'll admit that I'll be skeptical until he does so--but assuming he does play well, then that has all the makings of a well balanced and, most importantly for Souness, defensively sound side. Given that formation and Emerton's form from last season, I'd almost rather see Thommo on the right, but Brett should get a clean slate and a fair crack of the whip this year before he's dismissed.

Overall I'd have to say I'd be pleased with this lineup and the tactics. Neither Emerton or de Pedro is a flying winger per se, as both tend to stay a bit narrow, but that merely gives Neill and Gray more opportunity for overlapping runs. Stead and Dickov will perhaps be the most active strike duo in the Premiership, and the club is finally going into a season with a relatively settled defense.

All of this makes me (cautiously) optimistic.

On the form Emo finished the season or rather lack of it, I would be more happy with:

Thomo - Tugs/Flitty - Fergy - De Pedro

Bring Emo on if required in the 2nd half. After his first few games he didn't push on and become the awsome player I think we had all hoped for, saying that I am not saying he won't ever become a great player!

yeah I'll agree with Bob, Emo can fight for his place, if he can come off the bench and give his all every match then he will gethis chance.

But also I hope the signing of De Pedro would allow Emo to not be under pressure to provide all the chances for the wing, so maybe in the end he will sort his form out.

I know there's little chance of this happening, but assuming Moore signs I'd line up with this:

Friedel

Neill      Moore     Matteo     Gray

Emerton  Thompson  Ferguson  De Pedro

Stead    Jansen

Still not 100% convinced by Amo, our improved defence at the end of the season happened at the same time we switched to the narrow midfield, but he'd still provide excellent back-up and competition.

Personally I don't see how we can't start with that central midfield partnership. Ferguson is a guaranteed starter and Souness has already said that he sees Thommo playing a big role in the centre this year, I can't see why he'd say that if he wasn't going to start. If, after a few games, he thinks that it's leaving us too exposed then Matteo may well move in there, but I think it's something he has to try because if we can get it to work it is potentially the most effective partnership.

Finally...Jansen up front with Stead. We don't know if Jansen is up to it, but I think we have to find out and, unless we bring in another striker, now would be the best time to do it because we don't have proven quality to play with Stead whoever we put there. Again, if it doesn't work then switch to Dickov or Gally.

Friedel

Neill      Moore     Matteo     Gray

Emerton  Thompson  Ferguson  De Pedro

Stead    Jansen

That's my favourite lineup switching Jansen to Gally.

Wouldn't be suprised to see:

Brad

Neill Matteo Amo Gray

Emerton Thompson Ferguson DePedro

Stead Yorke

at home and:

Brad

Neill Amo Moore Gray

Matteo

Emerton Thompson Ferguson DePedro

Stead

on the road.

Dead set starters for West Brom, if fit (I dont see how anyone can really argue with this, its not my personal opinion, but who Souness will certainly chose):

Friedel, Amoruso, Matteo, Gray, Niell (if the Finnan stuff is not true) Ferguson, De Pedro, Emerton, Stead, Dickov (although Yorke appears to be making a bizarre late run).

That is ten out of the eleven.

There are two alternatives for the final member of the team:

1-Matteo is played in midfield and either Short or Johansson are brought in at the back (as Moore is in Greece).

2- Matteo is played in defence and one out of Thompson or, far more likely, Tugay partners Ferguson in midfield.

The only thing that is going to upset this is injuries, the signing of a good central midfielder (please!) or a striker who has the pedigree to displace Dickov/Yorke (Our interest in Tellec makes this unlikely).

There just inst enough places in the team.

I for 1 think Amo is Souey’s 1st choice defender in the middle, and Gray deffinatly at left back, but I think the other two places are up for grabs between; Moore, Nissa, Matteo and Neill

Midfield I think you will see us play with 2 wingers as he has commented before on the balance

Ferguson is a cert in midfield, as is Stead upfront. I think also that with Flitty getting a little pushed out and also Tugay not a guaranteed starter we are going to see Matteo and Tommo battling it out to be in the middle with fergie.

I think the team is as below

Friedel

Neill Moore Amo Gray

Emerton Thomo/ Matteo Ferguson De Pedro

Stead Dickov

Subs:

Enckleman

Loser of the Thomo/ Matteo battle

Gallagher

Nissa

Jansen

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.