• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After much consideration, my first XI would be:

Friedel

Neill Matteo Moore Gray

Emerton Douglas Ferguson de Pedro

Stead Dickov.

Yes - Douglas doing the holding role in central midfield

Well, if we are playing "what I wish the starting team was irrespective of what Souness will actually pick"I would plump for:

Friedel

Emerton   Amoruso    Moore    Gray

Matteo

Thompson  Ferguson  De Pedro

Stead     Gallagher

If Yorke is putting his back into it he might represent a better bet than Gallagher due to his experience, but Gallaghers movement is very important for a formation like this to work. I would rather see someone like Carrick come in and take Matteo's spot. Emerton and Gray would flourish on the overlap, allowed freedom by Matteo's deep role.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Friedel
Neill   Amoruso   Matteo   Gray
         Emerton                  
Thommo             Ferguson   De Pedro
         Stead   Dickov

hate the diamonds, whoever, and whenever its used. The wonky midfield is just to show defensive/attacking lines rather than a diamond.

Edited by Parasyte

hansnt souness said many times that gallagher and stead are his firs choice pairing for next season whilst dickov is someone the youngsters can look up to and not neccecarily a starter! i dont think yorke will play, the damage is irreversible now me thinks!

thats what i think he will do if he is going to play matteo in misfield because ferguson will play and he said that thompson will be playing centre mid aswell and that he might have to change his system for it so he will prob play one up front(stead) with emerton, de pedro and either thompson or ferguson attacking with one of them staying back.

He said that Thommo would play centre mid, but he didn't say that he would be first choice in centre mid.

I don't think he'll change formation..

• 5 weeks later...

Imo the most crucial decision Souness has to make is who is going to play the holding role in midfield alongside Ferguson.

I hope he's realised that it can't be Matteo because the role requires a modicum of passing ability.

Tugay seems the most likely candidate but obvious problems arise with his tackling ability and lack of pace. He is 34 after all.

I believe that the answer may be Jon Douglas for now. We're not going to get Tugay's skills from him, but he will protect the back four with tireless running and tackling. With Pedersen, Ferguson, Thompson also included in the midfield, I think we can accept that at least one player won't be contributing much attacking-wise.

I think with the midfielders we have then there is no room for tugay, and to be honest i dont think we should of extended his contract.

For now, Ferguson and Flitty in the middle, until thommo regains full fitness.

Did he get injured against manure or not?

We never solved the defensive midfield role during the summer. Souness brought in Matteo, who played there a couple of times last season for Leeds, when he wasn't being useless in defence and he only played well in that position against us. He isn't the answer, he is slow and lumbering and can't pass. I'd play Thompson and Ferguson in the centre. They both have great engines, they get forward well and can defend as well, so they should take it in turns for one to go forward and one to sit. I thought that Emerton was excellent against Man Utd and showed us what he can do. I haven't seen enough of De Pedro or Pedersen to make up my mind on who should play on the left wing. I'd also have Andy Todd back in the team. He was our best defender last season and if Souness is willing to give Yorke another go, he should do the same for Todd. My starting 11 would be:

Friedal

Neill Todd Short Gray

Emerton Thompson Ferguson De Pedro/Pedersen

Stead Dickov

Whats wrong with De Pedro? I hear hes not match fit, does that mean hes injured, overweight, lacking match fitness( didnt he play much for Real Soceadad?). When hes back do you think hes start as 1st choice left mid? where will pedersen play? upront?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.