BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Squad Numbers

Issuing squad numbers, withdrawing them because some players want to do swapsies, reissuing them....hmm

Who was saying something about everyone having a boss?

Either Lee was too quick with some priviledged info or the former residents are back at Brockhall.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would play jansen ahead of dickov any (Please don't use that word again) day of the week!!

maybe one day he will fall into that list!!

Which is why you aren't a premiership manager.

Dickov receiving the No. 10 shirt raises an interesting trivia question (not that I know the answer)... of the teams who have escaped relegation in Premiership, who has been the worst No. 10 for his team?

Not calling Dickov a poor player, just pointing out that in he's certainly no No. 10. If Rovers do manage to escape relegation, I have a hunch that they'll be doing it with possibly the least heralded No. 10 striker in Premiership history.

The squad numbers are very wierd indeed, flitty at 5?? why move amo if matteo is not having it? fergy has 16 because he likes the number 6, why not move short to 5 if its free? then why move gally down? jansen could have had 12 if your moving him.

Emerton is meant to want the number 23 so he gets 7.

De Pedro wants the number 10, so he gets 11.

and Yorke loves his number 19, so we move him to 15.

Me thinks Souey is saying, numbers mean nothing, go and earn your SHIRT!

Edited by laughatthedingles

No offense to jano but dickov is our 2nd best striker and deserves fully our number 10 shirt, just as steady deserves the 9.  tinykit.gif

rover.gif s0 you rate the dwarf better than gally tinykit.gif

At the moment yes. When galli gets this season under his belt i hope he is ahead of dickov!

Last Season:

Galli: Pld: 12 + (14) Goals: 3

Stead: Pld: 13 + (0) Goals: 6

Dickov: Pld: 28 + (7) Goals: 11

Dickov just scores goals he won't hit 20 a season but neither did cole and nor will galli at the moment! We need to slowly bring on galli and while we do that dickov is our first pick! rover.giftinykit.gif

Edit: For ilovemattjansen person:

Jansen: Pld: 9 + (10) Goals: 2

Edited by modes98

Just to add to this:

Last Season:

Gally: Pld: 12+(14) Gls: 3

Stead: Pld: 13+(0) Gls: 6

Dickov: Pld: 28+(7) Gls: 11

Jansen: Pld: 11+(10) Gls: 3

Yorke: Pld: 17+(10) Gls: 6

Cole: Pld: 29+(8) Gls: 11

Games per goals:

Stead 2.2

Dickov 3.2

Cole 3.4

Yorke 4.5

Jansen 7

Gally 8.7

Strikers available over summer/ who we've been linked with:

Ferdinand: 21 + (10) Gls: 13 GPG = 2.4

Hasselbaink: 32 + (12) Gls: 18 GPG = 2.4

Kliuvert: 19 + (13) Gls: 13 GPG = 2.5

Viduka: 31 Gls: 12 GPG = 2.6

Kanoute: 22 + (9) Gls: 12 GPG = 2.6

Bent: 30 + (6) Gls: 10 GPG = 3.6

Crouch: 21 + (12) Gls: 8 GPG = 4.1

Fowler: 33 + (8) Gls: 10 GPG = 4.1

Bridges: 3 + (18) Gls: 5 GPG = 4.2

Heskey: 37 + (14) Gls: 12 GPG = 4.3

Radzinski: 30 + (8) Gls: 8 GPG = 4.75

C.Cole: 11 + (14) Gls: 5 GPG = 5

Lua Lua: 13 + (12) Gls: 4 GPG = 6.25

Kanu: 9 + (15) Gls: 3 GPG = 8

Diouf: 34 + (1) Gls: 0 GPG = 35 and still counting

One Friday evening at "Chez Souness" Graeme is busy planning his selection of players and the formation for the forthcoming game.

After noting his own personal favourite 11 he looks at his team sheet notices with shock "Buugger me" in a kind of Avid Merion way, he exclaims, "Barry Ferguson is my captain but he cannot possibly be in my best 11 players because he wears the number 16 shirt."

So for the rest of the season, he has to chose numbers 1 to 11 for selection, even though no number 3 was nominated he had to start with only 10 men....and once numbers 4 and 8 where both injured - well!

for all the folks questioning Dickov as #10, what number did he wear last year with leicester? I honestly don't know, but am curious.

Personally, I wouldn't have him as #10 (probably De Pedro or Ferguson if he wanted it and Dickov as 11), but that leaves Gally, Jansen or Yorke to be #10. Meaning, our current 3rd, 4th and 5th choices for striker.

Then again, Souey seems to be all in favour of work ethnic, not glamour. Dickov as 10 is merely another indiciation of this.

laugh.gif its really not that important who gets what squad number, people. I think everyone is just getting a bit excited for the season start. laugh.gif

I agree with you on that one, especially when we don't know what our squad will even look like come the end of August (though I know it will probably be exactly the same). The 11 players who will start the game against WBA will not be decided by the numbers on their backs.

laugh.gif its really not that important who gets what squad number, people. I think everyone is just getting a bit excited for the season start.  laugh.gif

I agree with you on that one, especially when we don't know what our squad will even look like come the end of August (though I know it will probably be exactly the same). The 11 players who will start the game against WBA will not be decided by the numbers on their backs.

Even if they were (which they wont be), it will have no/very little bearing on the team/season ahead, look at the starting X1 against Wolves last season compared to the side that faced sorry brum (fulham was season before I still cant get used to calling it last season, doh!):

Friedel..................................Enckleman

Gresko..................................Gray

Taylor....................................Short

Amoruso...............................Johansson

Neill......................................Reid

Thompson............................Douglas

Flitcroft.................................Andreson

Tugay..................................Tugay

Emerton...............................Flitcroft

Yorke....................................Stead

Jansen..................................Cole

Only Flitcroft and Tugay retained their places due to injury, loss of form, new signings, players leaving etc.... the team against West Brom will not dictate our season let alone squad numbers, however a central midfielder at number 5 still looks silly, (mind you Tugay did ok at #3) rover.gif

Jay should get #3 now cool.gif

And I agree the squad numbers are strange. Why couldnt they just leave it like last season and only make the obvious changes like Stead to 9 and De Pedro to 10. Yes why is it, that when he requested 10 they gave it to Dicky instead?? He must feel a little bewildered. Oh well...

whilst Danns, Donnelly and the other youngsters on the fringe of the squad are without.

The youngsters will be given a squad number if and when they are needed. I think that's the way it has worked in past seasons anyway. It's a good idea, prevents any of the younger players from getting too much of an ego and keeps them working hard to try and impress the manager. If we gave certain youngsters squad numbers at the start of the season some may have a hard time keeping their feet on the ground, whilst any left without a number would immediately consider the season a write-off as they know there is x amount of other young players ahead of them in the managers thoughts. If at any stage any of the younger players are going to be included in a first-team squad, it is a simple task allocating them a squad number at that point in time. It's also a bit pointless giving a player a squad number if someone then takes him on a season long loan deal, Todd would have received a number in order to try and convince any potential suitors that he is still in our plans, thus increasing the transfer fee we are able to demand to secure his 'services'.

• 13 years later...
On 30/07/2004 at 11:00, greggyk said:

New list

Brad FRIEDEL

2 Lucas NEILL

4 Lorenzo AMORUSO

5 Garry FLITCROFT

6 Craig SHORT

7 Brett EMERTON

8 Tugay KERIMOGLU (known as TUGAY only)

9 Jonathan STEAD

10 Paul DICKOV

11 Javier DE PEDRO

13 Peter ENCKELMAN

14 Nils-Eric JOHANSSON

15 Dwight YORKE

16 Barry FERGUSON

17 Matt JANSEN

18 Steven REID

19 Paul GALLAGHER

20 David THOMPSON

21 Jonathon DOUGLAS

22 Dominic MATTEO

23 Vratislav GRESKO

24 Andy TODD

25 James McEVELEY

26 David YELLDELL

33 Michael GRAY

link squad list

Look at the amount of proper centre halves in that squad! 

These are sad Times

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.