BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sven

Yet again we have another example of a public figure who is well paid for his skills and knowledge being less than honest in his private life. With wealth comes responsibility and Sven has demonstrated time and again that he is incapable of being honest , honourable or humble.

It is not a case of an unmarried man having sex with an unmarried woman; he denied it to save his own skin and having been rumbled demands £14m of his contract to be paid up.

How can such a man demand discipline from his players when he himself is so sadly lacking? How can he criticise their lifestyles when his is so deceitful?

It is time to look elsewhere with Peter Taylor as my choice as he has brought most of the team through from the U-21`s.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoyed this quote in the Daily Mail from Jeff Powell today: (He's always been fiercely anti Sven's appointment).

Actually no he hasn't. Jeff Powell was anti-Sven when he was appointed on the basis that he wasn't English. He came out with the comment that what can this country of skiers who spend half their time in darkness teach us about football. Typical Daily Mail really.

However when Sven got some good results he changed and seemed to forget everything he had previously written. It seems he has now done another u-turn.

The FA won't sack Sven because they can't afford to. If, as he says, he hasn't lied about an affair they can't do anything about him. If they want to get rid because of football reasons fair enough but this stuff is just nonsense.

"Oh yes he has!"

INSERT REPLY HERE smile.gif

I'm quite aware Powell's vehement opposition to Sven's appointment was on the basis he wasn't English and anything he writes about Sven has to be read in that context.

Just enjoyed that quote that's all.

Can't honestly recall him ever changing his tune and saying much complimentary about Sven either but I'll take your word for it.

The FA might be entitled to sack Sven depending on what has actually gone on. IF he wilfully misled them into issuing an official statement which was false and subsequently had to be retracted, then that could conceivably amount to gross misconduct, especially taken in conjunction with the Ulrika "scandal" and his discussions with Chelski.

The FA are apparently happy with Palios as he didn't mislead them over his affair, so presumably they didn't go two's up or they wouldn't have issued the denial.

Rev, I can't find the quotes but the Fiver has had quite a few taking the mickey out of Powell changing his stance, mainly because of how vehemently opposed he was but also because of the crass arguments used.

There's nothing wrong with him as a manager - any top team would love to have him.  Assuming he goes, as soon as the next manager's honeymoon period is over we'll have people looking back on the Euro 2004 team as being a 'great' England side, and saying 'If only the FA had let him finish what he started'.

Robson... Venables... Even Hoddle to a certain extent. Don't you wish they had stayed now? One of the papers that was instrumental in forcing Robson out is even championing him to step in as caretaker!

And as for anyone who suggests the average bloke in the pub could do a better job... GET A GRIP!!!

Ok MK so what does Errikson do that is actually close to warranting £4MILLION a YEAR?!? The previous poster was correct when saying that anybody with the faintest of football knowledge could pick the team - and most would probably come out with roughly the same crop of players!

So all he has to do is go to the likes of Highbury, Old Trafford and Anfield twice a month, have a pint with Tord and talk a bit of footie, go home and ###### the missus (chosen at random of course), and then come out every three months and announce a squad that has practically already been picked for you in the national press! Maybe throw a couple of surprises in there to make you look like you have actually done something that someone else couldn't and there you go. Four million pounds please Mr Palios.

Now this would be bad enough if it was an Englishman. But a Swede. Come on now let's please get a grip. Steve McClaren, Steve Bruce, Alan Curbishley, Glen Hoddle to name but a few - I don't think ALL of these candidates are top class but at least they are English, they have at least the same talent as Sven, would all surely be interested, AND MOST OF ALL THEY KEEP THEIR MINDS ON THE JOB INSTEAD OF SHOWING THE PLAYERS A BAD EXAMPLE.

Sack the foreign, money-grabbing waste of space.

So basically it's because he's foreign. Unlike the majority of players and coaches in the Prem, right?

No matter what any fan says, and we all like to dream that we could do a better job than Souey, Woy, Sven or whoever, the fact is: We can't. Not a hope. Never, no way, it ain't gonna happen.

If you or anyone else had the talent to be a football manager then that's what you'd be doing. You wouldn't be sitting in a pub yelling, 'Go to 4-5-1 to neutralise their wingers' or anything else you heard Mark Lawrenson spout, as if you knew what it really meant. By the armchair fan's logic, being an ER fan qualifies you to perform an emergency tracheotomy.

As for the huge salary, that's entirely the FA's fault - and to watch them try to claw their way out of the PR grave they dug before Euro2004 is pretty damn hilarious, as far as I'm concerned.

I hope Sven takes them for every penny they've got.

So basically it's because he's foreign. Unlike the majority of players and coaches in the Prem, right?

No matter what any fan says, and we all like to dream that we could do a better job than Souey, Woy, Sven or whoever, the fact is: We can't. Not a hope. Never, no way, it ain't gonna happen.

If you or anyone else had the talent to be a football manager then that's what you'd be doing. You wouldn't be sitting in a pub yelling, 'Go to 4-5-1 to neutralise their wingers' or anything else you heard Mark Lawrenson spout, as if you knew what it really meant. By the armchair fan's logic, being an ER fan qualifies you to perform an emergency tracheotomy.

As for the huge salary, that's entirely the FA's fault - and to watch them try to claw their way out of the PR grave they dug before Euro2004 is pretty damn hilarious, as far as I'm concerned.

I hope Sven takes them for every penny they've got.

I honestly believe that the skill required in being a good manager is very minimal. It is the great coaches, motivators and organisers that get my respect. Managers simply get the job because they are either:

1) Good at any one (or more) of the above

2) A previous player at a half decent level.

What can Sven offer in terms of tactics that someone like yourself, myself or any other member of this board can't??? Football supporters are often blind to this fact. At the end of the day, if you have decent football players around, and you know a thing or two about tactics, surely it is all down to players on the day? Club football management is different however because it is down to you to sign the players, who are more than likely to sign for you depending on solely the reputation of you or the club.

Like I said before, how hard is it to pick the best 23 English players? Not very. Other than that 'major' task, what else is there to do?

o) Sven does not have to coach the players because they get this day in day out at their clubs

o) Sven does not have to motivate the players because surely the fact that you are playing for your country and on say £30k a week should motivate you enough

o) Sven does not have to explain to the players where he wants them tactic-wise on the pitch because it is well-documented on how Sven is NOT a coach and leaves this aspect to his Coaches (namely Steve McClaren or Peter Taylor both of whom, incidentally, I would rather see in Sven's position.

Despite being a wussy pro europe liberal I woudl love to see an Englishman in charge.,

However Sven has done a decent job, easily comparable to any manager since 66. Fair enough we do not play like Brazil and certainly do not use our full potential but who the else can we put in?

Curbishley would get my vote at knifepoint, but if you think it is a certainty that he will be an improvement on Eriksson your deluding yourselves. International tournaments last a tthe most seven games so to win it you need a good slice of luck as well as good management. If Rooney had stayed on the pitch we COULD HAVE (like you could have paid more attention in school) won and in terms of quality players on the pitch Portugal at least matched us. Scolari won the fing world cup so he is obviously competant.

Its a game, england do not have a divine right to win everything. If we get knocked out it is not always down to poor management.

We cannot just keep on sacking people and while I would like to see someone come in and introduced a confident ttacking system to the side who is actually a dead cert to provide that and not look like a fool like Keegan? Weger is, yet again, the only name in the hat and it dosnt look like he is a real possibility.

I honestly believe that the skill required in being a good manager is very minimal. It is the great coaches, motivators and organisers that get my respect. Managers simply get the job because they are either:

1) Good at any one (or more) of the above

2) A previous player at a half decent level.

What can Sven offer in terms of tactics that someone like yourself, myself or any other member of this board can't??? Football supporters are often blind to this fact. At the end of the day, if you have decent football players around, and you know a thing or two about tactics, surely it is all down to players on the day? Club football management is different however because it is down to you to sign the players, who are more than likely to sign for you depending on solely the reputation of you or the club.

Like I said before, how hard is it to pick the best 23 English players? Not very. Other than that 'major' task, what else is there to do?

o) Sven does not have to coach the players because they get this day in day out at their clubs

o) Sven does not have to motivate the players because surely the fact that you are playing for your country and on say £30k a week should motivate you enough

o) Sven does not have to explain to the players where he wants them tactic-wise on the pitch because it is well-documented on how Sven is NOT a coach and leaves this aspect to his Coaches (namely Steve McClaren or Peter Taylor both of whom, incidentally, I would rather see in Sven's position

I don't think it's that easy - and neither does the FA or the vast majority of club sides, judging by the lack of 'Joe Publics' in management at the moment.

Being an ex-player earns you a foot on the ladder, but very few even get that far let alone make a success of it. There are 92 professional managers in this country, and probably less than 10 in the entire world that would be on the shortlist of the FA or a top club. Sven was pursued for ages by the FA and is always one of the first names mentioned when a job like Chelsea, Man U or Real comes up. If all he does is hand a list to Steve McClaren and let the players get on with it, why is he the world's most sought-after manager?

Like him or not (and I do think he's a creepy, money-grabbing git), losing him now would be a step backwards. Anyway, can you really get sacked for knocking off the secretary? Maybe if she was only 14 or something...

It's just like the Clinton-Lewinski scandal all over again.

I did not have sexual relations with that woman...

Er, yes I did actually.

Impeach him, I say.

Well err I gotta admit that she actully had em with me..............but she didn't inhale! withstupid.gif

Being an ex-player earns you a foot on the ladder, but very few even get that far let alone make a success of it. There are 92 professional managers in this country, and probably less than 10 in the entire world that would be on the shortlist of the FA or a top club. Sven was pursued for ages by the FA and is always one of the first names mentioned when a job like Chelsea, Man U or Real comes up. If all he does is hand a list to Steve McClaren and let the players get on with it, why is he the world's most sought-after manager?

Like him or not (and I do think he's a creepy, money-grabbing git), losing him now would be a step backwards. Anyway, can you really get sacked for knocking off the secretary? Maybe if she was only 14 or something...

Aye but you still haven't answered my question in terms of what can Sven offer that other managers can't?

Sven was pursued for reasons that I still can't fathom. Maybe it was his overaggerated reputation?

what has his private life and the fact that he has a magic wand have to do with any of us in particular what has it got to do with the media ?

Nothing thats what.

How many people have affairs?

how many people can say their entire integrity is intacat ?

If the lucky mother gets his leg over with different girlies then every credit to him. I am sure that 100% of all red blooded males would do exactly the same. Does the fact that every man is bonking all and sundry means that it affects his job ?

Bollux does it.

Every credit Sven, keep it rigid.

rolleyes.gif

Are we going to end up with another decent England manager ousted from his position for non-football reasons, the hype and the momentum driven by a rampant tabloid press ?

Forget what SGE is paid, the FA almost forced the new contract down his throat. I don't care about his nationality either, and never have.

Look at the previous 5 managers. The best 3 (Robson, Venables and Hoddle) all left the post because of vicious tabloid campaigns.

Hoddle didn't help himself and was forced out because of his ridiculous comments about disabled people - not a football reason, but the tabloids went wild to ensure he had to go.

Venables left because Harry Harris (then Mirror) conducted the most relentless, vindictive hate campaign imaginable. Venables cleared his name in the courts - another one gone thanks to non-football reasons and the tabloids.

Robson's departure was probably the least necessary of the three - villified by the tabloids prior to Italia 90, hunted by them during the tournament, but the sh!theads had to change their stories as England went on and on to lose to pens to Germany in the semi. However the damage had already been done.

A couple of lines from Robson's autobiography :

I had been used as a pawn between the two biggest-selling newspapers in Britain, the Sun and the Mirror; I was seen as fair game.

//

I despised those [football journalists] who tried to bring down me and my team when they had enough experience in the game to have known better.  They helped turn the public against me.

//

We were also dogged by the news reporters in Italy, a totally different breed to their colleagues from the back pages.  They were there with their cheque-books, sniffing at empty glasses to see if the players had been drinking and offering money to anyone who could give them a yarn.

The loss of Robson led to Taylor, the usual tabloid treatment was even more vitriolic. The tabloids conveniently ignoring the fact they were responsible for Robson leaving the post in the first place.

And Hoddle's demise led to Keegan - the choice of the tabloids and the country at large, and look what an error that was.

We have to learn the lessons of the past and also recognise that the present offers an ever-decreasing number of candidates who want to subject themselves to the ridiculous press scrutiny and public exposure which comes with the job.

Let's also learn from abroad - look at Germany - candidate after candidate ruled themselves out of the chance to lead the national team into their own World Cup. They've ended up with Klinsmann who's spent the last 5 years surfing and driving his VW Beetle in California and has never coached in his life.

France have ending up appointing the U21 coach who few will have heard of. Why should good club managers - there or here or anywhere - foresake their generous salaries and relative privacy for the full-on glare of the national position ?

And the pool to select a candidate from is ever-decreasing. Robson is an old school patriot, Venables was hungry to enhance his reputation, Hoddle after an ego trip. None of them had earned big money in the game in today's terms. Today, everyone in the game from recent ex-player to current manager even to TV pundit makes a fantastic and comfortable living. Few will be tempted to put their heads above the parapet just to be shot down when the honeymoon period's over.

As the media spotlight intensifies on SGE the FA (itself nothing but a shambles) needs to remember the cock-ups it's made in the past. Sven can sleep with whoever he wants to sleep with and if he gets the boot for trying to hide it and is then betrayed by a leak from within the FA then the person who leaked (ahem, the documentary evidence rather than any bodily fluids) is the person at fault, and their employer with them.

That pathetic individual should be on the end of the boot, not the England coach for trying to keep his private life PRIVATE.

Are you being serious, 1864?

His integrity and private life have everything to do with his job. He is an ambassador for the FA and has to act accordingly.

I work in the field of education. I cannot do as I please as it will affect my job. In most organisations these days relationships between employees are expressly forbidden. How can a Senior figure within a company have an affair with a secretary and not expect censure if not the sack.

so Tony G

if you were in an unhappy relationship and the chance to shag the most beautifulest female speciman that came across your path you would turn it down on the basis your a teacher ?

get a grip pal.

every man worth his salt int he same situation would have his tongue and todger ready at an instant !

The fact that he has a shagability rating much higher than the rest of us makes no mockery at all at his ability to manage the England football team.

if you are shagging several females it doesn't take your ability to teach away.

in fact I would say a healthy sex life maeks jack a happy boy, work hard play hard.

he has obviously got something about him to make the beauties fall at his feet and every credit to him.

if you cannot see my point you obviously bat for the other side or have the most gorgeous female companion alongside you to keep you company.

TG

in relation to relationships between employees.

Thats old hat. Under the human rights act NO person or boss has any right whatsoever not have they any authority to stop employees shafting each other or having a relationship.

Not even the armed forces have that rule anymore. rolleyes.gif

If in doubt, blame the press. What nonsense.

The reality is that if any of past managers had been up to the job, England would have won a major trophy.

Eriksson is just the latest in a long line of overpromoted ninnies who have failed to deliver results through their own incompetance. The real culprits for England's poor performances over the past 40 years are the dunderheads at the FA who have consistently appointed the wrong men for the job.

They even sacked Alf Ramsey, the man who delivered England the World Cup.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.