BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Souey On Sky Tonight

Said Yorke is back in his plans. He has a future at Blackburn but he must change his ways.

He hopes that yorke will help rovers stay in the premier league this season, that's what's it's all about.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, fine. If Yorke is willing to WORK, and Souness are willing to work with Yorke - I'm okay with it. He praised him after today's match, along with Matteo, so I guess that's a good sign..

I feel sorry for Jansen though, I really wanted him to get more chances than he really deserved this season.. (I know it sounds weird, but if Jansen leaves Blackburn after this season, and without really playing a part, I'd be disappointed.)

I just love that guy! rover.gif

He hopes that yorke will help rovers stay in the premier league this season, that's what's it's all about.

Good to see we're aiming sky high as usual. sad.gif

If the extent of our ambition is quite that low, we can't possibly do anything else but struggle.

It's this more than anything else which perplexes me about Souness. He was so warrior like as a player but is obviously now content for his team to scrape by on the bare minimum, i.e. finishing 17th is a successful season.

Good to see we're aiming sky high as usual. sad.gif

If the extent of our ambition is quite that low, we can't possibly do anything else but struggle.

It's this more than anything else which perplexes me about Souness. He was so warrior like as a player but is obviously now content for his team to scrape by on the bare minimum, i.e. finishing 17th is a successful season.

oh please Simon please don't start this one again ... .. ... . .

we learnt after missing out on the Champions League the season before last that in the dressing room Souness trashed the players for not achieveing their full potential

of course he won't be happy with 17th ... ffs ...

Didn't Souness say we aimed for survival both when we finished 10th and won the WC, and when we finished 6th?

As I mentioned in another thread, I hope Souness and Yorke have had a talk. Because I'm sure that a player works better in a team if him and the manager are on speaking terms...

I'll start it again, and I'll keep on about it until he stops coming out these daft comments.

I'm sure it hasn't escaped your attention it's emptying Ewood and progressively eating into season ticket sales regardless of whether you feel it has any effect on performances on the field. (I think it does)

A simple "I'm happy with the squad I've got and we're going to give it a real good go" or "let's do the best we possibly can" or "the aim is to improve on last season" etc would be far more helpful.

I'll start it again, and I'll keep on about it until he stops coming out these daft comments.

I'm sure it hasn't escaped your attention it's emptying Ewood and progressively eating into season ticket sales regardless of whether you feel it has any effect on performances on the field. (I think it does)

A simple "I'm happy with the squad I've got and we're going to give it a real good go" or "let's do the best we possibly can" or "the aim is to improve on last season" etc would be far more helpful.

Here is the full transcript of the interview from which Revidge Blue is slating Souness for his "daft comments" which are "eating into season ticket sales". For clarity, I've highlighted Rev's points and the associated comments in red

(Souness) - I believe that if you’ve got good senior players at your club you’re a long way to being a proper football club and Dwight is over 30 so I can call him a senior … and I’d like him to show the .. the younger lads we’ve got here – the likes of Jon Stead and young Gallagher, you know this is how you become a top player and stay a top player.

There’s a lot of life left in him, and I’d like that time to be spent with … with us, and not, not anywhere else.

(SSN) – You’d like it … do you think that it will be at Ewood ?

(Souness) – Yeah … I erm, I erm … you know he has a contract with us and I would like him to stay but as I’ve said, you know he has to maybe change one or two things in his life for that to happen, … but …

I am his boss and he has to understand that.  And if I keep getting it wrong then I’ll be out of a job …. But I’ll … …  I’ll ask him to be a better pro …  in different areas, and, erm, I’m sure he wants to stay deep down because he’s very popular both with, erm, our supporters and with the players he plays with, he’s a popular man in the dressing room.

(SSN) - They’re conciliatary words Graeme, considering some of the things that are in the past … have you sat down and said those things to him ?

(Souness) – Yeah … I’ve … I’ve erm sat down with Dwight, and explained the situation to him, erm … you know there’s things appeared in the newspapers but … erm sometimes people do get misquoted … and erm, I know we had a well documented run in last year, I wasn’t without blame in that, erm…

but at the end of the day you know the only thing that matters at a football club is winning matches, we’re both employed by Blackburn Rovers and we’ll both do our best to hopefully enable Blackburn Rovers to be in the Premier League a year from now because that’s … that’s what it’s all about.

Sh!t, Simon, you're so right. Souness should shut his mouth and cease these ridiculous utterances.

Edited by Tris

He says that stuff all the time. The facts as presenteded to any club outside the top 3 + liverpool and newcastle. are that each is capable of doing well and going for europe or doing badly and being involved in a battle! The aim is clearly to stay in the premiership, but on top of that every season you do look to improve. Souness has said as have others that our target is to get around 10th but our overall goal is survival.

but at the end of the day you know the only thing that matters at a football club is winning matches, we’re both employed by Blackburn Rovers and we’ll both do our best to hopefully enable Blackburn Rovers to be in the Premier League a year from now because that’s … that’s what it’s all about.

Sh!t, Simon, you're so right. Souness should shut his mouth and cease these ridiculous utterances.

Good lad Tris. Glad we're finally agreed.

If the words in red said "Enable Blackburn Rovers to be in the top half of the table a year from now" he'd be on the right lines PR wise.

None of which desperately matters if we're actually performing on the pitch of course.

Good lad Tris. Glad we're finally agreed.

If the words in red said "Enable Blackburn Rovers to be in the top half of the table a year from now" he'd be on the right lines PR wise.

This is where I give up.

Although in a last ditch effort I'm going to call Rovers in the morning and get Souness sent for extra TV interview training.

And I'm going to call Rev's milkman and order (don't use that additive again) (or that scenario) (or that syringe containing poison) (either Cummings or LD Rover put you up to that one)

He says that stuff all the time. The facts as presenteded to any club outside the top 3 + liverpool and newcastle. are that each is capable of doing well and going for europe or doing badly and being involved in a battle! The aim is clearly to stay in the premiership, but on top of that every season you do look to improve. Souness has said as have others that our target is to get around 10th but our overall goal is survival.

Well said, modes. To be perfectly honest, I think that is all that needs to be said on this matter, so everyone should quick bickering about the same old stuff (albeit under a new guise).

Rev, if you want GS to "stop coming out with these daft comments", I'd respectfully ask that you go and ask him to desist, or to change his tune to one that suits you.

There is a problem with him changing his tune. It may not suit some other person on this messageboard, and so the ranting will continue, albeit from a different scource.

Methinks you take a very minor (negative) part of an interview and overlook the more positive parts. Do you deliberate over all the missives that emanate from Ewood park and scour them for negatives to quote on here?

I, for one, hope that he can "turn Yorke around" and get him playing like he has shown in the past. As it stands, there is only one way for Yorke to go in football terms, and that is to play well. He can't get much worse, surely?

If GS can't turn him around, then the status has been quo'd, so to speak, and nothing has changed from today or the last day of last season.

rover.gif the fact is mr souness has repeatedly said premiership survival is our aim,he has give the cup's the elbow and made our qualifacation for europe meaningless with his team selection.

i'm all for the premiership survival,but we must start treating the cups seriously,as they are the easy way to silverware.

sorry if this upset's you tris but don't start looking through the archive's of every website in the world,to prove my point wrong,and it does have a effect on season ticket sales,because we are losing 2k a season at the moment.

bytheway i know we did win the worthington cup in 2002 tinykit.gif

So shouldn't we just bother about the FA Cup if the Worthington Cup did no good for our season ticket sales then waggy? Granted it's easier to win than the Premiership, well maybe, not if you look at Rovers recent history, but it's not like we just have to turn up to walk into the final is it?

Since we aren't in Europe this year I'm not sure Souness' survival comments will mean we see weakened team line ups in European games...

Of course you think we should be playing all the youngsters don't you? So that would be our reserve team then given the proportion of youngsters in that? Yet you complain about weakened teams? So would giving the youngsters 'a chance', even more of a chance then the great opportunities they already get at Rovers, not be fielding a weakened team then? Or are we just meant to field weakened teams in the league then?

Souness does treat the cups seriously, else we wouldn't have won one in his time here. When was the last time pre-Souness when Rovers won a cup? I doubt even Jim will pretend to have been at that game. Does that mean our other managers didn't take the cups seriously and hence, as you seem to be implying were bad managers? Was Kenny Dalglish a bad manager waggy? He only won the Premiership with Rovers after all, should really have taken the Coca-Cola Cup more seriously.

waggy Posted on Jul 29 2004, 07:19 

the fact is mr souness has repeatedly said premiership survival is our aim,he has give the cup's the elbow and made our qualifacation for europe meaningless with his team selection. 

I cant believe Souey's attitude! The way to do well is to go into every game with a belief that it can be won. Whilst putting out your best team and play them in the positions they should be played. Can you imagine the team talk for the cup game "Right lads, I'm not saying throw the game away but we don't care about winning this and were not bothered about the other cup either in fact when we play our next Premiership game KNOW YOUR LIMITS and play like a bunch of nobodies. Our aim is to turn into Spurs and finish mid table every season and bore the fans to death.

Well, I have gone a little over the top but there is a point in there somewhere

Yes but you are missing the point that we have had some good cup wins and some bad performances however to suggest that Souness wants to lose is rubbish. How many lower division teams have we lost to under Souness? We were abject last year away to Birmingham but that's one game. The year before we went and stuffed Villa on their own patch.

I can remember us losing to a lower division Charlton at home under KK and what about the defeat to Stockport that did for Harford. Nearly every premiership team will rest players in the cups because of necessity. Whilst I agree that Souness could word his comments on the cups better. Anyone who honestly thinks he doesn't send them out to win every game is kidding yourselves.

Of course you think we should be playing all the youngsters don't you? So that would be our reserve team then given the proportion of youngsters in that? Yet you complain about weakened teams? So would giving the youngsters 'a chance', even more of a chance then the great opportunities they already get at Rovers, not be fielding a weakened team then? Or are we just meant to field weakened teams in the league then?

rover.gif CAN I HAVE THAT IN ENGLISH PLEASE tinykit.gif

Souness has said: Our first aim is to survive in the Premiership, our first aim is to get those X points to be sure that we will play in the Premier League next season - and then we can look beyond that and pick as many points as possible. (this is not a direct quote, it's my perception of his intentions)

I'm sure this is the same for most managers in the Premier League, managers for teams like Middlesbrough, Bolton, Everton etc. will try and secure their Premiership status, and after that they will do everything they can to pick as many points as possible - and get a good position in the end.

And after a horrible season when relegation was near - do you really WANT him to aim for the 4th place?

I must say I'm glad that we have a manager that will concentrate on one thing at the time, first we secure next year's Premiership contract, and then we will obviously try and win as many matches as possible.

Even IF Souness aim was to "stay in the Premiership", so what?

Do you think that after securing the place, Souness would send Barry, Stead and Matteo on holidays and give the youngsters a game?

No, he would push it as far as we can go, three positions can mean £1,5 millions - Souness is aware of that !

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.