• Kevin Gallacher
    • Roger Jones
    • Derek Fazackerley
    • Scott Sellars

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, this should exclude players who conceivably could be nominated heroes for other clubs as well - it should be restricted to players who define Blackburn Rovers and vice versa. They can have played at other clubs, but not be revered anywhere else.

In which case, my top 3 would be:

i) Brotherston

ii) Sellars

iii) Eammon Rogers

Why not take the players nominated so far and have a poll?

Glad to see Duncan Mckenzie get a nomination. For breathtaking skilful ability my all time top three in order would be:

1) McKenzie

2) Bohinen

3) Dead heat between Tugay, Ripley and Sellars.

I always thought that the 'Flying Greek' George Donis had bags of skill, he just didn't know how to use it and was a little too good at running into dead ends before being pushed off the ball.

Simon Barker also had great technique but left just as he was developing into a quality midfielder.

Tough one this, and of course mine will be dated,

Shoe in, Simon Garner

Shoe in, Glen Keeley

Any one of the following

Duncan McKenzie

Noel Brotherston

Roger Jones

Ken Beamish

I think it narrows to a toss up between Beamo and Dunc with perhaps Beamo edging it.

Have to agree with ArrodBlue and Blackburnender

Hendry - Show us your bum - bleads blue and white

Garner - No need to say anything...

then either:-

Speedie

Keeley

Shearer

Atkins

Genoe

Berg

the list is endless, and for his 1994/5 season SHerwood would have to be there!!!

Personally I would say the 3rd had to be:-

Speedie

I think that Garner is an absolute certainty, and less so Colin Hendry.

As for the third, it could be anyone from the nominations really. Super Atko would be very popular - he got the biggest support at Garners testimonial last year, and the likes of Speedie, Gallacher, Keeley, Sellars could all do well.

As it's or TV, we are unlikely to get Douglas in there, but for shear bloody minded commitment and crowd favouritism, I can't believe that Tim Flowers hasn't had a mention. He was one of my favourites, and his display against Newcastle was one that I will never forget. His "bottle" speach afterwards was just priceless. The ball jumping up over his head also did nothing to make me like him any less. He also seems to still have a soft spot for Rovers.

I have two sets of heroes, one from the modern era and one from times gone by.

Pre 1992

Simon Garner - does not need any introduction, our all time leading goal scorer and a Blackburn End cult hero.

Stuart Metcalfe - A fantastic midfielder who could have made it big given the right stage. A much misunderstood player who was another hero.

Roger Jones - fantastic keeper and again a classic hit with the home fans. A player who wore our shirt with pride.

if I was allowed to have a fourth then Duncan McKenzie would have been the choice.

post 1992

Alan Shearer - absolute phenomenen in the number 9 shirt. Made our dreams come true along with a squad of modern day sporting heroes.

Colin Hendry - Mr Blackburn Rovers who wore our colours with pride.

Henning Berg - a class act and another player with the club at heart.

the fourth if allowed Sir Jack Walker - say no more tinykit.giftinykit.gif

My era is 1985 onward so I can't go back from there. We've never had many flair players, mostly workmanlike types, so pick 3 from this lot.

David Speedie - the day he came out for the warm up wearing that curly wig and everyone asking who was this new player we'd signed was priceless, plus all of his goals.

Simon Garner - great player but had that extra bit of pizazz from his smoking, drinking, and jail antics.

Terry Gennoe - his massive arms and ability to make silly saves look easy endeared himself to the Blackburn End.

Mark Atkins - Super Atko has to be in, his pre-Dalglish awfulness and his post 1992 David Batty impressions.

Jason Wilcox - I've never heard so many moan about a player who we'd have killed for last season, a genuine winger who gave balance to the team. We'd have won the title at a canter if he didn't do his knee against Crystal Palace just before the run in.

Colin Hendry - Nine years, a title and full members cup winner, spokesman for that window firm, why did he always show his arse?

Kevin Davies - He sold more replica shirts than anyone else the season he came.

Steve Livingstone - kept us up one year with his 9 in 9.

David Speedie - the day he came out for the warm up wearing that curly wig and everyone asking who was this new player we'd signed was priceless, plus all of his goals.

I was just thinking of that! He's definitely in. Only the one season from Speedie at Ewood but some of the best memories.

Got to be Simon Garner and Colin Hendry as well.

(Close but no cigar for Alan Shearer, Tim Flowers, Jason Wilcox, Windy Miller, and Kevin Moran)

Not sure how Shearer can be a cult hero, isn't this about those players who weren't widely known but were favourites at Ewood? I'd definately go for Ripper but then Super Atko (he's the A in SAS), Speedie, Gally, Berg, Hendry, Nicky Marker..? I guess a lot of our players could be 'cult' heroes as not many people outside the club thought much of a lot of them. Berg and Gally probably do it for me, but then.....hmmm

Edited by Laurence

My personal choice with games that most sum them up are:

- Colin Hendry (Liverpool away, we drew 0-0, only Hendry stood between us and a thrashing)

- Henning Berg (Coca Cola Cup Final - he marshalled, organised, sorted out our defence and we won)

- Howard Gayle (scored at Watford away one evening, came over towards us, and only the Police prevented him jumping over the wall and into the away fans)

Glad to see Duncan Mckenzie get a nomination. For breathtaking skilful ability my all time top three in order would be:

1) McKenzie

2) Bohinen

3) Dead heat between Tugay, Ripley and Sellars.

Damien Duff?

Of course Duff was skilful and certainly gets in the top three for most exciting but he was not one for doing the breathtaking sublime.

McKenzie would do that every time he pulled on the shirt- I think he only scored twelve goals for us but at least six were in the "how did he do that category?". Plus the way he would take the ball and two opponents to the touchline, completely bamboozle them and escape with the ball at least 50% of the times he did it. He's the only player I've seen do a driven volleyed back heel flick from 20 yards- and it was only just over!

Bohinen was in the same class but either times had moved on or he wasn;t as capable so his sublime moments were less frequent.

Thinking back, perhaps Stuart Metcalfe should be in the dead heat third as well- what he could do with the ball at his right foot was awesome. At his left foot, a joke! But there was a player who deserved all the adulation we devotedly gave him.

Ah Metcalfe, those dazzling runs, side ways, backwards he'd often beat himself going forward smile.gif maybe thats where Dunny learnt to showboat.

Have to agree about Mckenzie, see my post page 1. One of the best ball players to wear the blue and white in my life time.

Does nobody ever remember ....Roger Jones an excellent goalkeeper in a mediocre team of the early seventies who was ranked alongside the great Italian keeper of his time Dino Zoff for going so many hundreds of minutes without conceding a goal.

Roger Jones my first Rovers legend !

Dereck Fazackerley my second legend

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.