• Kevin Gallacher
    • Roger Jones
    • Derek Fazackerley
    • Scott Sellars

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought some Trevor Hockey style footy shorts.......retro but trendy at the time. I was the first in the school to do so. biggrin.gif I must have looked like Jimmy Clitheroe going to a fancy dress party as Alex James! laugh.gif

I seem to think that Hockey died young. Am I right?

I had a check around and Trevor Hockey died age 43 in 1987 apparently when playing football!

I've been re-reading the posts to catch up and the one mention of Andy Kennedy deserves more attention. Maverick Scottish striker with Italian looks, well apart from the jawline. He entertained the Blackburn end and I seem to remember him being a big hit with the local ladies. Remembering him made me smile.

I've been re-reading the posts to catch up and the one mention of Andy Kennedy deserves more attention. Maverick Scottish striker with Italian looks, well apart from the jawline. He entertained the Blackburn end and I seem to remember him being a big hit with the local ladies. Remembering him made me smile.

Not Mad dog Andy Kennedy. laugh.gif

The late Noddy was a real cult hero.

John Butcher was probably the worst keeper ever for the Rovers-tying with Collier-made even worse because Kendall couldn't sign a promising young keeper from Bury as he had too many keepers on the books. Oh and the promising youngster went on to play many matches for Everton.

3: Mckinlay, played right through to the end of the season when he was told he needed an operation in NOVEMBER, insisted he helped us try to survive. This cost him the next 18months of his career and he has never been the same since.

2: Garner, sooooo many goals, Rovers through and through.

1: Hendry, played through injuries so many times, always gave 100%, never gave up, a magnificant example for anyone to follow.

Thought Den was doing one as his list was fine except for the inclusion (nothing wrong with him just that it is for ex-players and not current ones)of Big Brad.

I proposed Sellars as the replacement but am willing to let it go if other people (with less taste) think otherwise... wink.gif

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Of course, players of the 60's will be at a huge disadvantage in this poll. Not many of todays current members have seen these players perform.

Maybe we should have had a second poll to see who the older members cult heroes were. I've voted for Bryan Douglas - an absolute genius.

Just another thought - what if we ran a poll on who was rovers best ever goalkeeper. Follow that with right back, left back and so on. Those discussions could run over a few months?

Anyone find that idea interesting?

At the end of that, we would end up with a brfcs.com best ever team and cult hero.

Edited by den

I refuse to vote. My ball has been well and truly taken home Den tongue.gif . Where is Stuart Ripley? Surely Rippers is more worthy of a place then Scott 'always missing in big games' Sellars!? I mean come on, Ripley was an absolutely legend at Ewood Park, blistering runs down the wing, pinpoint crosses to Shearer and Sutton, somehow contriving to fail to score a goal for so long, starting in our Championship winning year, despite numerous outstanding attempts. Not forgetting his unforgettable debut for England, the 10 seconds on the pitch, the first run down the wing, the pulled hamstring. He also fulfills the requirement of having done diddly squat anywhere else, both at international level, at Southampton and wherever else he played out the twilight of his career.

As for your idea of having a regular polls for each position, that's a fantastic idea Den, but include Stuart Ripley for the right-midfield position, please?

As for your idea of having a regular polls for each position, that's a fantastic idea Den, but include Stuart Ripley for the right-midfield position, please?

Well, you can write a recommendation for his inclusion in the list of nominations. [or have you just done that]? smile.gif

I refuse to vote. My ball has been well and truly taken home Den  tongue.gif . Where is Stuart Ripley?

An Irishman in Australia. What a bloody combination! biggrin.gif

Anyway- it looks like it'd going to be Hendry, Garner and one other for the top three from the votes so far.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

No Tim Flowers either sad.gif With his union jack towel and that speech, he'll always be a hero.

I like the idea of polls to find the BRFCS Rovers XI as well Den, possibly the hero should come from outside of the final XI though?

Edited by Big A

No Tim Flowers either sad.gif With his union jack towel and that speech, he'll always be a hero.

I like the idea of polls to find the BRFCS Rovers XI as well Den, possibly the hero should come from outside of the final XI though?

I think we will give it a go Al. The only thing is - some of the players from years ago wont get a well deserved look in. Not enough people remember them.

Should we put a limit on it, i.e. only players from the last 20 years? I don't think so, but it's up to you guys.

Please do not restrict it to the last 20 years. The fact that everybody knows them after 20 years qualifies them as legends in my opinion.

One other suggestion. If we are looking for 3 should we not get 3 votes each?

laugh.gif Leave poor Den alone, it was an impossible task trying to draw a fair poll for this up, there's no way he could have done it for combinations of players. (Bet an admin decides to do just that to prove me wrong)

Certainly don't think it should be restricted to the last 20 years, I know I'd certainly vote for Clayton or Douglas over Scott bloody Sellars! wink.gif I mean come on, Ronnie Clayton, played on Pele against Brazil in Brazil for England or Scott Sellars, entertained FourLaneBlue against opponents from the old Division 2, although one must bear in mind that Sellars did go on to play for the centre of the footballing world, Newcastle United, and hence must have been one of the best players ever(if you're a Geordie)

Aye, it's a combination that's certain to produce trouble FourLaneBlue, and haven't I just felt obliged to prove it and all biggrin.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.