BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 1 - 1 West Brom

All I can say is..

EMERTON... What the hell was he doing?!? I was acutally worried when he had the ball or was being passed the ball..

T4E, Pringle and Capt Kayos... I might owe you an apology soon.  sad.gif

Don't be daft, we're not right all the time. I mean, i thought i was wrong about all the critising of Emerton on the off-season and then the full-time whistle went on Saturday...

Edited by Tom Pringle

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think part of people's frustration with Emerton is that he clearly has the ability to take opposition defenders on, get the ball to the byline and whip a cross in etc, but for whatever reason he just...doesn't. Ever. To continue your comparison Le Chuck, whenever Gray doesn't cross the ball he tends to do at least something constructive with it, be it a decent pass, a crack at goal or a surging run into the box.

Today Brett looked in two minds whenever he was in possession, his train of thought being roughly "Strewth, some drongo has passed the ball to me again! Right, should I zig-zag back and forth for a couple of seconds until this fella tackles me or should I just hoof it into the stands now? Oh, he's gone and tackled me anyway. No worries." Whether this is down to a lack of confidence on his part (and come on, how much self confidence do you really need to run past someone whilst dribbling a small spherical object?) or whether it's down to the instructions he is receiving from the dugout, it needs sorting. Emerton could be one of the best midfielders in the Prem if he lived up to his potential, but from today's showing he has simply picked up from where he left off last year.

You may be right about Emerton - there was an interview in a paper/magazine (can't remember which, sorry) last week with one of the Wolves full-backs saying that the only time he'd been taken to pieces last season was by Emerton, who he said was lightning quick when running at defenders. After reading that I was quietly optimistic that maybe he'd come good this season...until Saturday. Maybe someone should show Emerton the article.

Ferguson: A captain’s performance. Lead by example. If someone takes a free-kick very hard in the direction of your left nipple, correct procedure is to duck away like a nancy and I think he showed the lads how you do it beautifully. 6/10

Tugay: Looked determined when he came on and controlled midfield apart from a couple of wayward passes best summed up by the sky sports commentary : “Tugay, the Turkish midfielder, can pass on a sixpence” as the ball sailed out of play 20 yards ahead of and 10 yards above the nearest Rovers player. Maybe his imaginary friend has put some height on during the close season…? (7/10)

ferguson: agree totally. i was unsure whether it was him or de pedro who got OUT of the ball's way for that freekick. after watching numerous displays over the last 2 days, i think its a combination of both. javier turned away, while our captain courageous turned away and put his hands up to cover his chest. hope this never happens again.

tugay: i thought he did pretty well... looked our classiest player by far... and that drive from 30 yards wasnt too far away was it...?

anyway, hope that souness actually LEARNS something from this match and play a proper formation for the saints match...

Re. Tugay - i can't really see how we can build a team around him, at least with the current squad. The problem with Tugay is that he's a (probably unique?) midfielder who hangs back all the time.....but can't tackle. If you put a holding midfielder next to him who can tackle well, it means your forwards never get any support from the centre of midfield, e.g. Flitty and Tugay together last season. It might work ok if we had Duff on the left and an equally creative attacking right midfielder (or Henry up front), but with our current squad I just think we'd be woefully uncreative in the final third of the pitch.

accept your points but

1. If Matteo was 'looking out for' him then Tugay would have to try to play a little further forward.

2. Yorke playing deep naturally fills the gap and provides the link between centre midfield and centre forward.

Ah well me and my dad for once agreed about a rovers game ohmy.gif I think he's giving in wink.gif

I was shocked when ferguson didn't get a penalty when teh lineo was starring straight at the wba defender trying to get a new home shirt before the rest of us fans!!!

Thought emerton was given way to much to do running up and down from defense to attack but still managed to make a couple of chances and put in 3 or 4 quality balls!

First half was awful worst i have ever seen rovers play! Mainly due to the formation and playing 3 left footers i feel! De pedro looked way off the pace, due to his injury i suspect! Don't know the reasons behind brad playing when he clearly can't kick but he made a brilliant save from teh lack luster kanu!

It might be an age thing.....but I'm more concerned about what we do-right or wrong- to win a game. We can control that more than the referee's decisions.In other words,let's presume the ref will make mistakes, but let's make sure we make enough chances to win the game. We didn't on Saturday.

mad.gif of course we did!

i nearly dropped young abs when ...cant for life of me rember who it was....just shaved the post...stead had a good shot..maybe 2/3/4 pens,their free kick debatable....SLAG SOUEY ALLS YOU WANT ,SAY HOW BAD YOU THOUGHT IT WAS....THE TRUTH IS WE SHOULD HAVE WON IT!!!

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH 92ER TO SAY WE DIDNT ........

IM SO GLAD IM AWAY FOR TWO WEEKS IM SICK OF READING ALL THIS PARANOID BOLLLLOX ALL THE TIME ...REALTY CHECK ONE GAME PLAYED PEOPLE ONE what does that mean? GAMME.....SPELLING HAS BEEN BUD DED

ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH mad.gif

Edited by ABBEY

the thing that really ennoyed me yesterday were the fans.Not all of them just the 2 lads im sat next to who think i shouldnt be there because im from manchester then refused to talk to me and the stupid cow sat behind me kicking my chair telling me to stop singing and telling me to sit down(this included when we scored) i cant belive that im sat there all bloody season.Oh and the first half was dreadfull

• Backroom
the thing that really ennoyed me yesterday were the fans.Not all of them just the 2 lads im sat next to who think i shouldnt be there because im from manchester then refused to talk to me and the stupid cow sat behind me kicking my chair telling me to stop singing and telling me to sit down(this included when we scored) i cant belive that im sat there all bloody season.Oh and the first half was dreadfull

Where are you sat Nelsta ?

A 5 - 1 win against Wolves - sigh here we go again wink.gif

A strange formation in the first half - but am I wrong, or has Gresko actually had a good pre-season ? Maybe he was there to give De Pedro a bit of protection.

Whatever the reason - at least Souey recognised that he had made a b***s up - and put it right.

Though WBA are a very limited side going forward - it must be the first time that we have looked as solid when we went three at the back - normally we are all over the place.

And lets put it all in perspective - we should have won - and with a bit of luck we would. Also - that was a game that last season we would have lost, so things are improving.

Was it only me that thought the passing and movement from Fergie and Tugay was something to behold - we almost looked like a decent side at times. All we need is a player that can get past his man - Thommo step forward please rover.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.