BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 1 - 1 West Brom

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very concerned nobody has predicted a Baggies away win. Even the Baggies boards don't seem optimistic.

Have to say that of all the opening day fixtures, our's is the one which looks the most likely to produce the not very surprising "shock".

Have you read page 1 of this thread? rolleyes.gif

Sorry, I was still chuckling at Scotty's preview so I missed it!

Good to see the pessimism- makes me feel much better!

I'm just pretending to be nice to some baggies on th eRivals board at teh moment. They all seem to think that they will be solid defensively this year, but poor going forward. Apparently Koumas is banned, and obviously the threat from Hughes is diminished(!) but they are hopeful that Kanu will do the business for them.

The only player of our that gets a mention specifically as a threat is Dickov. Apparently he never stops trying.

Interestingly, they seem split about staying up. Most expect them to struggle, but I'd guess they will be OK, simply because Palace, Everton and Portsmouth will all be far worse.

Nice questionnaire Mr Sox and Scotty. biggrin.gif

I appear to be in France for this one, so we'll lose 1-0. That's what happens at the first home game of the season when we choose to go on holiday.

However, if that provides a better omen for performance throughout the season than our opening game last year, I'll take 1-0 on the chin. dry.gif

Blackburn Rovers kick off their new season at home against Premiership new boys West Brom on Saturday. Rovers have a virtually fully fit side apart from the useless Steven Reid who picked up a foot injury dodging out of a tackle at Preston in a friendly a few weeks ago. Brad Friedel should return between the sticks to replace old teflon gloves - Peter Enckelman.

Nils Eric Johannsen, unfortunately, is fit but rovers fans will be hoping he is not given a place in the team after seeing the way he soils his pants when called on to defend. Dominic Matteo, probably Leeds best player last season looks set to make his home debut and Souness will be hoping he shores up a leaky defence which conceded sloppy goals all last season. Italian stallion Lorenzo Amoruso should partner Matteo in the centre - lets just hope he gets out of bed on the right side the morning of the game, or we could be in for a nail-biting 'Christian Dailly' styleee afternoon. The consistent Michael Gray will be left back, while Lucas 'break a leg' Neill will be on the opposite side. OPTA stats revealed he gave the ball away 1,378, 145,156 times last year. Rovers fans will be hoping he looks slightly better this season. Can he be any worse?

Midfield selection is an interesting one for Souness with more options than he has had for a while. However, it looks likely that Brett Emerton will start on the right wing despite being diagnosed by a top doctor he had 'centre-itis'. The rare disease, also suffered by past rovers player Keith Gillespie causes players to want to cut inside to the centre of the pitch all the time rather than run down the wing. Emerton is believed to have had this disease all last season, apart from Wolves away when an injection before the came caused him to run down the wing, cross the ball and let Andy Cole in to score. Doctors at Brockhall are working round the clock to find a cure for the disease which was causing several riversiders to throw their bovril away in disgust. On the opposite flank, 31 year old Javier De Pedro looks all set to replace the young, quick energetic Damien Duff with his distinct spanish accent and large gut. I can already see shades of Dario Marcolin about him. Tremendous.

In the centre of midfield, new captain Barry Ferguson will replace the ageing Garry 'shagger' Flitcroft. 'Flitty' as he is compassionately known to his many fans and lap dancers will have to settle for a place on the bench. At the other end of the alcohol fuelled, gambling, perverse world of 'shagger' Flitcroft comes Bazza's midfield partner - the Turk, Tugay. The blend of dazzling tricks and through balls followed by loss of possession in key areas should go hand in hand to make all rovers fans want a flat beer at half time.

Finally, up-front Souness has plenty of options with the hungry Stead, saviour of last season and Blackburn lad Paul Gallagher providing youth up front. Paul Dickov returns from La Manga Jail FC and rovers fans should expect nothing more than 110% off him. Dwight Yorke's proposed move to Margate fell through, and now Souness claims he loves him, so you may see him start come 3pm on Saturday

Boing Boing? My arse

Nils Eric Johannsen, unfortunately, is fit but rovers fans will be hoping he is not given a place in the team after seeing the way he soils his pants when called on to defend.

Not sure about soiling his pants ... more like stuffing his face. Have you seen his squad picture on teh official site?!

blink.gif

Nils Eric Johannsen, unfortunately, is fit but rovers fans will be hoping he is not given a place in the team after seeing the way he soils his pants when called on to defend.

Not sure about soiling his pants ... more like stuffing his face. Have you seen his squad picture on teh official site?!

blink.gif

Wheres the squad picture?

He played there in CL for Feyenoord so you never know.

rolleyes.gif

Mmmmmmm... and that's supposed to fill me with confidence going of what I have seen so far. Can't tackle, can't can't head and never mind not be able to run forward

Hope for us if he does play there he does show what he is SUPPOSEDLY capable of and believed by many gullibles on this MB - maybe RB is where he should be playing.

If I remember rightly, thoe whole reason we signed Brett "worth 10 million" Emerton is because Souness assured him that he'd play right wing, not right back, or wing back where he played at Feyenoord.

Now if Souness has told him "Look mate you were crap last season, certainly not worth the money people were talking about paying for you, but Neill was worse, take his place or you'll not get a new contract" I think he'd play, and now with Thompson fit he has competition for his place unlike last year, well not counting "two nobs" Flitcroft.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.