BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Jansen

Does anyone else think he has a future with us?

I'd like to think so, but I sadly don't think it's going to happen. I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks this, maybe I'm biased but I don't think that he has been given the chance back in first team football to prove himself. Yorke has been given more of a chance than Jansen, and now he has even lost the number 10 shirt.

As hard as it is for me to say I think, we should sell Jansen and give him a chance at another club.

What does everyone else think?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He simply isn't getting enough chances in the first team to make an impression but then again I've heard NOTHING via the club to convice me he can make the grade ever again.He either makes that breakthrough this season or its goodbye IMHO.

So sad for a player who once promised so much sad.gif .........

I think Mattys Ace and personaly think that if he was given a good few games then he would get back to his old self however there are around 5000 of Matt Jansen threads and all the answers to your questions on Matty can be found there.

JANSEN FOREVER tinykit.gif

As SG states this is a make or break season for Jansen, from all accounts hes been playing well for the reserves in pre season friendlies, even scoring. He also scored on the trip to Germany, but to be honest none of the opposition have been premier league status.

Of the current squad, he is the only one who can do something out of the ordinary, eg goal against Liverpool, and I would like to see him get a run alongside Stead. But Gally is also an exciting prospect and currently top scorer in the pre season friendlies.

Unless someone hasnt given out the full squad to the official web site, the signs dont look good for Jansen getting first team selection, It seem strange that Jansen has'nt been included for the Bray trip. if he is part of Souness's plans.

rover.gif i've heard that once matty's court case with the taxi driver ,who run him over has finished,he and rovers will part company.

it is a tragic waste off a career,one bad idea 'zooming round rome on a scooter' cut short what certianley would have led to england caps.

to be injured like he was,he has done fantastic to come so far. tinykit.gif

I think if he was to make a comeback from his injury he would have done it by now. I remember seeing him live against Chelsea (I think) when he started with Dwight Yorke and he was abysmal. He ran around and gave plenty of effort, but his first touch was nothing better than that of a one-legged donkey's.

That performance made me resigned to the fact that we'll never see the old Matt Jansen in a Rovers shirt again. A crying shame, but unfortunately these things happen in life.

I also awoke in a hospital bed in June 2002 also with a severe head injury. I hadnt been in a coma but I had been there for 6 days with no recollection of anything before. I had been awake but didnt remember it.

It was quite surreal waking up to read that Matt was also in hospital with a similar injury caused by a ******* taxi driver like me. My recovery has been slow, they said I might not ever recover and although it has taken time, it can be done. I started University in September that year and found I could no longer concentrate, I found it really hard just to read a page of a book without becoming distracted, its still quite hard to do now but it can be done.

Its only now that I feel 100% back to my old self and I hope that Matt can come good this year and I really believe he can come good.

Rovers For Europe (You know its going to happen!)

I think all of us would love to see Jansen make a come-back.

I bet Souness & BRFC as a club would love to see it even more. It would also save the club millions in transfer fees.

It`s easy to say "Souness isn`t giving him a run in the team" or "Souness needs to give him games".....but it isn`t just Souness involved. He has a backroom staff of proffessional trainers & medical people who see Matty every day. If they don`t feel he is 'up to it' then you have to respect their proffessional view.

I hope Matt Jansen makes a full recovery & we get to see the player of old, because his talent is a joy to watch, but please don`t use this as a stick to beat GS with.

GOOD LUCK MATTY! thumbs-up.gif

Head injury or no head injury he's better than all the other strikers (Stead excepted) give him an extended run.

Maybe Souness was riding pillion when the taxi hit him. Seems that all we've done is replace good players with average players.

I absolutely agree with this. He may not be what he was but whenever I have seen him play he is still better than anything else we have. He should be in the first team as he is now.

Head injury or no head injury he's better than all the other strikers (Stead excepted) give him an extended run.

Maybe Souness was riding pillion when the taxi hit him. Seems that all we've done is replace good players with average players.

I absolutely agree with this. He may not be what he was but whenever I have seen him play he is still better than anything else we have. He should be in the first team as he is now.

Here Here.

Souey Souey give him a run

Dont know if anyone will get my point

I sincerely hope that he recovers the form that he once showed. He is the only one of the three shining lights left (Duff and Dunn being the others) that made me feel that anything other than mid-table beckoned for Rovers when we got promoted.

Stead and Jansen (as he was before his injury) would provide quite a combination - both skill and endevour.

Rather than hitting him while he is down - lets all keep our fingers crossed that he recovers fully to display the god given talent that he once had. rover.gif

One of the saddest events in Rovers history. Losing a player who had so much to offer and another reason I don't care much for the Swede. Matt should have been in goddamn Japan not in Italy on a ferkin moped.

It's a tragedy that really saddens me but he's not going to make it. He has lost his football instinct, he now has to think about what used to just come naturally, he will never cut it at this level again. Sad but true, he was a special player.

He was called up to the last friendly before going to Japan, had he impressed there he would've gone. But he caught a stomach bug and couldn't go... A player should really have played at least one game before being in a WC squad.

I'd almost want to see us get relegated if that meant we'd get Matty's old self again, but I'm afraid he's finished. It's really a tragedy to see such a skilled striker suffer like that, he's a fantastic player at his best and has been SO unlucky in the worst possible moments - like feeling ill and not getting his first cap, and then the accident in the season we were all hoping to see him knock out one of the two newbies from United..

But he did show glimpses of greatness again against Liverpool last year, let's hope he can get some matches this year aswell !

Btw, anyone else get Saunders-in-his-prime associations when watching Stead? Never afraid of pouncing from 30 yards if the ball comes his way - I really think we'll get to see some extraordinary goals from the young SuperStead! smile.giftinykit.gif

As many have already said, we don't stand a chance of getting the old Jansen back unless he gets a good run in the side. If he's going to get this chance, this year is as good as any, as following the departure of Cole there is no set partnership up front. The sad thing is, with this being such an important season for us, taking the risk that he may no longer be up to it, and having faith in him, may be too much of a gamble for us to take. However, given that he has shown in a couple of games (Villa in the cup and Liverpool in the League) that he still has quality, personally, I feel that he is simply a player that needs to get back up to the speed of matches, get used to playing again, and get everything going. I hope that he is given a run of 5 or 6 games this season, but something tell s me that he probably won't.

sad.gif I do not think jansen has a future with us. I've always been a big fan of his, but after that motorbike crash its never been the same. He was in the england squad( or almost in it ) when he had his crash. Think he'll go to some team like sheff utd or some1 like that.

Jansen isn't going to recover his form coming in off the bench or coming in for one game and being replaced the next. He needs a run of at least 8 -10 games.

If he's not physically capable of that, or if he gets that sort of run and can't do it, then time to call it a day.

sad.gif I do not think jansen has a future with us. I've always been a big fan of his, but after that motorbike crash its never been the same. He was in the england squad( or almost in it ) when he had his crash. Think he'll go to some team like sheff utd or some1 like that.

For Christs sake I know that he is not as good as he was but even now he is still the best striker we have.

Stop looking at the past and see him as he is today.

Still better than the rest and I include Stead.---------Just play him.

For Christs sake I know that he is not as good as he was but even now he is still the best striker we have.

Stop looking at the past and see him as he is today.

Still better than the rest and I include Stead.---------Just play him.

Your either stoned or crazy.

Or if your lucky.. both.

Your either stoned or crazy.

Or if your lucky.. both.

You are a self opinionated prat.

I am entitled to my opinion (which I still believe to be correct) as you are yours but I do not expect to receive personal insults in reply.

Please read the conditions of posting.

I reckon I am entitled to retaliate after your extremely insulting posting.

Please never do that again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.